Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Private shows and cancellations
Posted by: bv ()
Date: October 28, 2016 09:18

There has been many complaints about how The Rolling Stones schedule their shows. Some think they should never play private shows. Others don't care. Some think they should have cancelled the private Gillette Stadium show and rescheduled the cancelled Las Vegas show #1 for that date. And so on and so on.

If you need to discuss such topics and policies then feel free to discuss it here. Please DO NOT use the thread dedicated to the Gillette Stadium private show reports.

Bjornulf

Re: Private shows and cancellations
Posted by: virgil ()
Date: October 28, 2016 17:33

Let me put the ticket issue to rest. Saturday August 22nd I picked up my lucky dips at 7pm. Awesome seats for 39.50 section 5. One minute later I jumped to the will call box and canceled my tickets for the 19th right then and there and printed my reciept - $568.20. This was long before the official cancellation of the show was announced. It was also posted to my credit card on line when I checked Sunday morning the 23rd. No more speculation or opinions needed on this one.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: October 28, 2016 17:59

virgil
Let me put the ticket issue to rest. Saturday August 22nd I picked up my lucky dips at 7pm. Awesome seats for 39.50 section 5. One minute later I jumped to the will call box and canceled my tickets for the 19th right then and there and printed my reciept - $568.20. This was long before the official cancellation of the show was announced. It was also posted to my credit card on line when I checked Sunday morning the 23rd. No more speculation or opinions needed on this one.

I was in line at the box office when they opened the day after the cancellation (thursday) and also happily received my refund right then and there.

Where the issue wasn't put to rest however, and caused much confusion, was with the many fans who bought their tix through brokers (stub-hub et al). Their policies apparently call for an official cancellation for a refund to be issued.

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: October 28, 2016 18:14

MisterDDDD
virgil

I was in line at the box office when they opened the day after the cancellation (thursday) and also happily received my refund right then and there.

Where the issue wasn't put to rest however, and caused much confusion, was with the many fans who bought their tix through brokers (stub-hub et al). Their policies apparently call for an official cancellation for a refund to be issued.

Mr.D totally agree with you on the secondary market issue , I see how there could be confusion. Although most of the posts I read were about AXS and T mobile policies.

How about somebody who might have paid above face on E_ Bay or Craigslist their not getting all their money back.

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: October 28, 2016 18:20

MisterDDDD
virgil

The secondary ticket sites do this based on the hope that you won't be able to make a rescheduled show therefore forcing you to sell your ticket on secondary ticket sites and they make all their fees again.

Nate thumbs down

Posted by: mistermorphine ()
Date: October 28, 2016 18:45

My CC has been credited for the 19th show, it took 4 business days for AXS to get it taken care of and posted to the AM EX CC. No complaints on how the credit process worked! Still Miffed at how the show was cancelled though!

Posted by: winos ()
Date: October 28, 2016 23:21

The irony is funny that The Stones do a private gig in a football stadium in Boston where they have played in the past......

I think the future is for less touring, more private and shorter gigs where they can clean up very well financially.

pool's in but the patio ain't dry

Posted by: georgeV ()
Date: October 28, 2016 23:35

I can accept that Mick was not able to perform on the 19th due to laryngitis. I have no way to know if that is actually true but I can see how it could be.

The fact that he performed, and quite well from all reports, 3 days later is fairly surprising if someone actually had laryngitis.

Which brings us to the conspiracy of why the 19th was cancelled. Was it due to lack of sales? Were they desperately trying to prop up sales for the 22nd, which had massive ticket availability leading up to the show date?

I will admit that I am bitter as I one of those people who spent several hundred dollars in travel expenses and lost money on the ticket refund due to foreign exchange issues on the credit card. I was not able, nor was I ever able, to stay for the show on the 22nd so I did not see them at all.

The fact that they performed a private show less than a week later for a billionaire and 200 friends actually disgusts me. Not that I would expect them to reschedule the 19th show for the same Tuesday night but what is their reason for not rescheduling the 19th at all? The Exhibitionism doesn't open until Nov 12, so what was so important that they could not do a rescheduled date in Vegas. They owed that to their fans!

It is quite pathetic and has left a bad impression of this band that I have followed for years and have seen close to 100 times. Sad, Sad, Sad!

Date: October 28, 2016 23:45

LV #1 on the 19th was cancelled due to Laryngitis.
LV #2 on the 22th was the last show with the main crew.
Most of the regular touring crew left on Sunday the 23rd.
Foxboro on the 25th was show a scheduled and contracted show, they could not cancel that.
They looked into rescheduling the LV #1 show after the Foxboro date, but bringing in a different crew not knowing the show would be impossible. Also, I can't see how 18,000 people may rearrange travel, work, hotels and come back to Las Vegas for a show on Thursday 27. A tour is about logistics. Las Vegas is not a normal city. Most fans fly in from far away. Most people can not take time off work and book flights on four days notice.

The Rolling Stones owe us nothing. If you feel you have invested your life in the Stones and you expect them to pay back before they retire then sorry it does not work that way. A Rolling Stones show is a product just like an airline ticket or a hotel room. It may be cancelled and then they will refund. Over the years they have cancelled few shows, very, very few cancellations, but when the show is the last one, or close to the end of the tour, like Hanging Rock or LV #1, there is no mercy, they can't do it.

Bjornulf

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: October 28, 2016 23:45

georgeV
I can accept that Mick was not able to perform on the 19th due to laryngitis. I have no way to know if that is actually true but I can see how it could be.

The fact that he performed, and quite well from all reports, 3 days later is fairly surprising if someone actually had laryngitis.

Which brings us to the conspiracy of why the 19th was cancelled. Was it due to lack of sales? Were they desperately trying to prop up sales for the 22nd, which had massive ticket availability leading up to the show date?

I will admit that I am bitter as I one of those people who spent several hundred dollars in travel expenses and lost money on the ticket refund due to foreign exchange issues on the credit card. I was not able, nor was I ever able, to stay for the show on the 22nd so I did not see them at all.

The fact that they performed a private show less than a week later for a billionaire and 200 friends actually disgusts me. Not that I would expect them to reschedule the 19th show for the same Tuesday night but what is their reason for not rescheduling the 19th at all? The Exhibitionism doesn't open until Nov 12, so what was so important that they could not do a rescheduled date in Vegas. They owed that to their fans!

It is quite pathetic and has left a bad impression of this band that I have followed for years and have seen close to 100 times. Sad, Sad, Sad!

I think you answered your own question there, poor ticket sales undoubtedly the reason they didn't re schedule another Vegas date, its what i was trying to explain on the other thread a few days ago before i got shouted down.

Date: October 29, 2016 00:01

Let's revisit the facts.

*The first show was sold (or nearly) sold out.

*Mick got sick due to the brutal conditions of DT2.
(everyone not looking for a conspiracy theory could plainly see/hear)

*Vegas2 was nearly sold out despite the uncertainty one day before showtime.

*Like corp. gigs or not, they had a contractual obligation to play it.

*Re-scheduling Vegas 1 would have logistically been a nightmare.

I drove there and even I would likely not have stayed longer for one more show as I did for Saturdays. The thought that Vegas 1 was cancelled do to poor sales is preposterous. With Saturday already on the books and plenty of seats still available for it, it essentially was the rescheduled date for those that could.

Good Lawd, Mick got sick and had to cancel one show and go very easy on his throat for the next. Get over it.

Date: October 29, 2016 02:26

MisterDDDD
Let's revisit the facts.

I drove there and even I would likely not have stayed longer for one more show as I did for Saturdays. The thought that Vegas 1 was cancelled do to poor sales is preposterous. With Saturday already on the books and plenty of seats still available for it, it essentially was the rescheduled date for those that could.

Good Lawd, Mick got sick and had to cancel one show and go very easy on his throat for the next. Get over it.

I think several important factors have made this experience MUCH worse than any other show cancellation:
Ticket prices were outrageous. Beyond reach or reason. The majority cost $750+srvc, and going much more for platinum/gold/silver/sapphire/aluminum packages. I'm local LV and was shut out costwise on 10/19 sales, able to score a single $150+srvc for 10/22 for a poor quality seat in sec. 211.
Think on this for a moment: Barbra Streisand tix were $500+srvc top for non-VIP for one show 08/07, with many priced $350 or less (no, I didn't go.) The Stones asking more dollars than 'once in a blue moon Barbra?' There's something deeply wrong with rock n' roll when this is a fact.
I fully believe the 10/19 show was cxl'd because of Mick's laryngitis. It was painfully apparent he was still sick on 10/22. They should have postponed or cxl'd both shows. Having seen my band 24 times over the years, this show ranked badly. I would normally just say 'they're human', but when you get to the point you are charging essentially R/T airfare to Europe for 18 songs (3 by Keith) you've lost me. I'm aware my R/T was to Denver, but the feeling holds.
Waiting till AFTER the second show to cxl the first is inexcusable. That apparently the reason was to honor a 1%'er private show on 10/25 really pushed any remaining goodwill over the edge.
My 'several important factors' actually seem to really be one: My favorite band in the world is a extremely overpriced jukebox.

Posted by: Misterjimmy ()
Date: October 29, 2016 02:37

FirstTimeSeattle81
MisterDDDD
Let's revisit the facts.

I think several important factors have made this experience MUCH worse than any other show cancellation:
Ticket prices were outrageous. Beyond reach or reason. The majority cost $750+srvc, and going much more for platinum/gold/silver/sapphire/aluminum packages. I'm local LV and was shut out costwise on 10/19 sales, able to score a single $150+srvc for 10/22 for a poor quality seat in sec. 211.
Think on this for a moment: Barbra Streisand tix were $500+srvc top for non-VIP for one show 08/07, with many priced $350 or less (no, I didn't go.) The Stones asking more dollars than 'once in a blue moon Barbra?' There's something deeply wrong with rock n' roll when this is a fact.
I fully believe the 10/19 show was cxl'd because of Mick's laryngitis. It was painfully apparent he was still sick on 10/22. They should have postponed or cxl'd both shows. Having seen my band 24 times over the years, this show ranked badly. I would normally just say 'they're human', but when you get to the point you are charging essentially R/T airfare to Europe for 18 songs (3 by Keith) you've lost me. I'm aware my R/T was to Denver, but the feeling holds.
Waiting till AFTER the second show to cxl the first is inexcusable. That apparently the reason was to honor a 1%'er private show on 10/25 really pushed any remaining goodwill over the edge.
My 'several important factors' actually seem to really be one: My favorite band in the world is a extremely overpriced jukebox.

high prices yes , BUT nearly sold out shows. that says it all. wanted to see them one last time and my wed show got cancelled. they are not spring chickens and micks voice went on the fritz. I took the chance when I bought tix and booked the trip 4 months in advance. bummed , yes . but still a vegas trip for me and the wife. still had a great time. ran into a lot of stones fans. had my picture taken playing the rolling stones slot machine at mgm by a japenese woman. when the japenese woman with her found out I was a stones fan , she insisted I take the japenese magazine she had that was all about the stones with lots of great pix. priceless !! ( I forgot to take it home , left it in the room GRRRRRRR ) all in all I think they are done touring in America and I think I was very lucky to have seen them 12 times . no disappointments here.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: October 29, 2016 02:41

I've seen the Kinks three times and three times shows were canceled on me. Disappointed me, but I didn't read anything nefarious into it. Things happen. Maybe the Davies brothers were pissed at each other. I couldn't control it.

Re: Vegas. Seems pretty clear that Mick did have issues with his voice. Give him props for making it through three shows in a tough environment.
And while they could have stuck around for another week or and made up the show -- seriously? These are old men on the final lap, you can't expect that. They have families and other obligations.
And a refund is better than getting stuck with a ticker when you have to fly back home to LA or Chicago or wherever you live.
I think the private show was pretty cheesy, but really people only complain about that because it makes them realize the band has been in this type of mercantile mode forever. If they had come out and played an adventurous set in Vegas nobody would have complained about a cash grab later.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: October 29, 2016 02:55

sorry, cancel.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-29 02:56 by 35love.

Date: October 29, 2016 03:55

Misterjimmy
FirstTimeSeattle81
MisterDDDD
Let's revisit the facts.

high prices yes , BUT nearly sold out shows. that says it all. wanted to see them one last time and my wed show got cancelled. they are not spring chickens and micks voice went on the fritz. I took the chance when I bought tix and booked the trip 4 months in advance. bummed , yes . but still a vegas trip for me and the wife. still had a great time. ran into a lot of stones fans. had my picture taken playing the rolling stones slot machine at mgm by a japenese woman. when the japenese woman with her found out I was a stones fan , she insisted I take the japenese magazine she had that was all about the stones with lots of great pix. priceless !! ( I forgot to take it home , left it in the room GRRRRRRR ) all in all I think they are done touring in America and I think I was very lucky to have seen them 12 times . no disappointments here.

I'm happy you had a good time here in spite of the cxl.
Personally, that they even booked 2 overpriced gigs less than a week after 2 huge festival gigs 200 miles away seemed like a misjudgment of the fan base.
Playing Las Vegas so often is pretty tacky (and I LIVE here.)
Oh, I received a notification on my Stones app that 'Las Vegas Oct. 19 & 22' fan merch is on sale via the online store, boy you ought to read some of the comments in that message board..!

Date: October 29, 2016 04:16

FirstTimeSeattle81

The price is a whole different discussion which is valid but not really relevant to the cancellation issues. As are the corporate gigs which are a sign of the times.I wouldn't really argue in favor of either, but tip my hat as they still lead the industry in earnings per live concert and have for decades.

By the way,
J. Geils Band opening for the band at the Kingdome is one of my all-time favorite concerts...

Date: October 29, 2016 05:54

MisterDDDD
FirstTimeSeattle81

The price is a whole different discussion which is valid but not really relevant to the cancellation issues. As are the corporate gigs which are a sign of the times.I wouldn't really argue in favor of either, but tip my hat as they still lead the industry in earnings per live concert and have for decades.

By the way,
J. Geils Band opening for the band at the Kingdome is one of my all-time favorite concerts...

Yes, October 14th & 15th, 1981. Celebrate those 2 days more than my own birthday!
Such a plus that I've the audio AND video boots to do so with.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: October 29, 2016 11:59

MisterDDDD
FirstTimeSeattle81

By the way,

i went both days @ the kingdome in 1981. shows #2 & 3 for me.

Posted by: stonesfrkk ()
Date: October 29, 2016 12:31

bv
Foxboro on the 25th was show a scheduled and contracted show, they could not cancel that.
They looked into rescheduling the LV #1 show after the Foxboro date, but bringing in a different crew not knowing the show would be impossible. Also, I can't see how 18,000 people may rearrange travel, work, hotels and come back to Las Vegas for a show on Thursday 27. A tour is about logistics. Las Vegas is not a normal city. Most fans fly in from far away. Most people can not take time off work and book flights on four days notice.

The Rolling Stones owe us nothing. If you feel you have invested your life in the Stones and you expect them to pay back before they retire then sorry it does not work that way. A Rolling Stones show is a product just like an airline ticket or a hotel room. It may be cancelled and then they will refund. Over the years they have cancelled few shows, very, very few cancellations, but when the show is the last one, or close to the end of the tour, like Hanging Rock or LV #1, there is no mercy, they can't do it.
Your right bv Vegas isn't a normal city but it is the biggest Trade Show place in the world they have the best logistics in the world for show set up's and crews from Freemont and GES which are the largest set up companies in the world they could of put that stage up in a couple day's easily I used to be in the Trade Show biz. That would of been an easy set up just saying.

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: October 29, 2016 17:31

The private shows are a disgrace. Money grab. They care little for real fans. and that's that.

Date: October 29, 2016 19:42

I find the notion that they owe or should care about "real fans" (as opposed to fake?) odd. I also find it odd that "real fans" are shocked or outraged.
The time for outrage (if any) was 1981.. as their dominance in the business side of R&R hasn't changed since.

From 1982
The Rolling Stones' 1981 U.S. tour was more than just an artistic triumph. It was also a spectacular financial coup — the headiest windfall in rock & roll history. In its aftermath, Mick Jagger stands revealed as a master career strategist of the first order — the toughest, shrewdest businessman to emerge on the entertainment scene since Bob Hope and Frank Sinatra."

[www.rollingstone.com]

Posted by: Al65 ()
Date: October 29, 2016 21:23

The truth is simple they cancelled because mick couldn't sing this has happened before and will happen again.They looked at rescheduling shows but wasn't possible ( anyone who thinks the top sound and light people aren't contacted to other projects doesn't understand business and the suggestion that there are lots of these people in vegas doesn't take into account they would need time to learn the compleat show) .I will still buy tickets and travel but now if you do pick shows in places where you would be happy if they don't play if they do treat it as a bonus one show will be the last. I have taveled from England to Australia and America for cancelled shows so be it ,when there are no more shows you will look back and remember the ones you had not the ones you missed

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 29, 2016 21:29

bv

All shows are scheduled and contracted. They have cancelled shows on recent tours. They could have cancelled the private show if they had needed to.

Date: October 29, 2016 21:32

MisterDDDD

They've cancelled shows. All shows are contractual obligations. Why is this such an issue? It's not. If anyone was sick that private show would've been cancelled - just like all the other shows were cancelled due to illness except for the 2014 tour, which perhaps could be called cancelled due to illness - the illness of the feeling of your girlfriend committing suicide.

Date: October 29, 2016 21:36

MisterDDDD
I find the notion that they owe or should care about "real fans" (as opposed to fake?) odd. I also find it odd that "real fans" are shocked or outraged.
The time for outrage (if any) was 1981.. as their dominance in the business side of R&R hasn't changed since.

From 1982
The Rolling Stones' 1981 U.S. tour was more than just an artistic triumph. It was also a spectacular financial coup — the headiest windfall in rock & roll history. In its aftermath, Mick Jagger stands revealed as a master career strategist of the first order — the toughest, shrewdest businessman to emerge on the entertainment scene since Bob Hope and Frank Sinatra."

[www.rollingstone.com]

Someone needs to photoshop Mick's face into this:

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: October 29, 2016 22:24

MisterDDDD

From 1982

[www.rollingstone.com]

I stand corrected in one of my earlier assessments via a separate thread that the Stones nuptials (aka the marriage of rock and roll) with the corporate world became fully entrenched via the Steel Wheels tour (with the assistance of Mr. Cohl). Although that may arguably be true, the Rolling Stone article you cited really re-casts the beginnings of that marriage going back to the Tattoo You tour. I remember reading back then how "controversial" it was when Jovan perfume was announced as being a sponsor of the tour. Although as another poster pointed out (which I had forgotten), there was controversy and fan complaints going back as far back as the 69 tour when Stones ticket prices were reportedly topping out at around $8.50.

Date: October 29, 2016 22:40

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: October 30, 2016 03:48

Sorry, but they do owe the fans. No matter how good you are, without the paying public, they would have never been able to live the lives they've had. If you schedule something that people come from all over the world and spend outrageous amounts of money for you , you owe them. I have been a fan since 1973. I have seen the stones 50+ times, have spent thousands of dollars going to shows and collecting them. I didn't even buy a ticket to these 2016 shows because of my work schedule. But I did buy a ticket,along with plane fare and hotel to New York City in December to see exhibitionism. But I am so pissed off at their conduct canceling Las Vegas and playing a private party instead, I'm thinking about not even going now. I know they could care less. But unlike them I have principles.

Date: October 30, 2016 06:55

GasLightStreet
bv

All shows are scheduled and contracted. They have cancelled shows on recent tours. They could have cancelled the private show if they had needed to.

Are you a lawyer? Assuming they were paid 4 million US dollars for the private Foxboro show, who should pay for that if they cancelled? May be split it equally between Mick, Keith, Ronnie and Charlie? Just one million dollars on each. It is all in the contracts.

Also, would 18,000 people be able to arrive into Las Vegas for a show on Tuesday Oct 25, on a two days notice, if they announced LV #2 on Sunday Oct 23, using the "cancelled" Gillette date for a 2nd rescheduled LV show?

Bjornulf

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1140
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home