Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Who are the fans among IORR who remember a world without the Rolling Stones?
Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: October 24, 2016 19:42

I don't.

I guess you must be at least 65 to remember a world without the Stones.

Re: Who are the fans among IORR who remember a world without the Rolling Stones?
Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: October 24, 2016 19:52

I remember, circa 1985

Re: Who are the fans among IORR who remember a world without the Rolling Stones?
Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: October 24, 2016 19:54

That's a good one.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: October 24, 2016 20:03

I remember 1960 - '73 - a world without the Stones - before I'd heard of them...........

Posted by: Night Manager ()
Date: October 24, 2016 20:44

I was five years old, first music I ever heard was "have you seen your mother baby, standing in the shadows". When I grabbed a magazine with a photo of the early Stones - hadn`t known their looks til then - my Mom took it away from me, saying, you`re not interested in that bunch of horrible people. Strictly, not allowed.
...So, no, I don`t remember a world without the Rolling Stones... started from there, and the trouble never stopped...

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: October 24, 2016 21:00

I'm GLAD that I don't!
cool smiley

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: October 24, 2016 21:47

Till July '67 13 years old

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: October 24, 2016 22:10

I do - fourteen in 1963 when they first hit the airwaves. The perfect age to fall in love with a band.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: October 24, 2016 22:34

i remember being in a cot in hospital as a very young child around 1970, and the stones wernt in my life then, doubt they had heard of me too.

Posted by: stein ()
Date: October 24, 2016 22:53

I was born 1954 and remember The Beatles became famous and I loved them before I heard the about The Stones and became a fan when I heard Get off of my cloud fall 1965

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: October 24, 2016 23:27

stein
I was born 1954 and remember The Beatles became famous and I loved them before I heard the about The Stones and became a fan when I heard Get off of my cloud fall 1965

I was born in 1952 and was a Beatles fan and still am. How could you not be? I knew of the Stones of course, but didn't fall hard until a wise friend made me see "Ladies and Gentlemen". Since then, I like to say I went to the dark side and never came back. I have had the pleasure and joy of seeing the Stones 20+ times, most recently in Las Vegas on 10/22.

Posted by: HenrikBB ()
Date: October 25, 2016 23:13

steffialicia
stein

I was born in 1952 and was a Beatles fan and still am. How could you not be? I knew of the Stones of course, but didn't fall hard until a wise friend made me see "Ladies and Gentlemen". Since then, I like to say I went to the dark side and never came back. I have had the pleasure and joy of seeing the Stones 20+ times, most recently in Las Vegas on 10/22.

"Since then, I like to say I went to the dark side" -
Love that term !

I´m 1960, - and in ´71 a friend brought his elderly sisters records, - and
I never looked back since !

I remember my grandmother asked me and my brother, - around 1975, - who
we thought were the "greatest" ! - and she wrote it down :

"The Rolling Stones" !

She died in 1984, - and I would really wish she was still here, -
(for many reasons - of course !) -
so I could tell her "They still are the Greatest! - and still playing -
and - and - after 40 years . . . Truly amazing ! ! !

So No, - I actually really don´t remember a world without The Stones !

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-25 23:18 by HenrikBB.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 25, 2016 23:39

My aunt used to sing Satisfaction to me in 1965/66...I was two or three at the time.
Never heard of them before that. winking smiley

Posted by: Elmo ()
Date: October 25, 2016 23:52

I'm 66 now and remember hearing I Wanna Be Your Man and loving the tougher sound compared to the Beatles singalong. However it was Not Fade Away that got me hooked and I've loved the Diddley beat ever since. Also still love the Chicago recordings, 5x5 EP, early bootlegs so really looking forward to hearing new album in December

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: October 26, 2016 00:42

Mick and Keith bumped into each other on a train platform when I was a year old (give or take a day), and 12x5 was released just after my 4th birthday. My first conscious memory of grown-up music is Around and Around, the first cut on the album. When they played that in Newark in December '12 it nearly reduced me to tears. There's always been the sun, the moon and the Rolling Stones.

Posted by: DartfordRenegade ()
Date: October 26, 2016 19:31

I was born in 1960 and first became aware of the Stones in 1974 aged 14 when I saw them on 'Top of the Pop's' performing 'It's Only Rock'n'Roll.

First saw them live at the Knebworth festival in 1976 and never looked back.

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: October 26, 2016 19:45

Yes, I Di. It was a world of Bobby Vee, Ricky Nelson, Roy Orbison. Elvis, and more. I loved all that music.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: October 26, 2016 20:01

As a teenager It was blank until I heard: Chuck Berry - Elvis Presley - Little Richard - Roy Orbison and Jerry Lee Lewis on the radio just before the British Invasion

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: October 26, 2016 21:45

I was 13. Stones had a hit in Holland with angie. My father said..who is that dreadful boy with lipstick (jagger) and i was hooked and still am. Thanks dad.
jeroen

Posted by: HouseBoyKnows ()
Date: October 26, 2016 23:55

I was 10 years old in a small town in Michigan when I first heard Not Fade Away on the radio and a few weeks later saw them perform on the Dean Martin show. I wondered why they didn't wear uniforms and why the lead singer didn't play an instrument.

HBK

Posted by: ouroux58 ()
Date: October 27, 2016 00:27

LeonidP
I remember, circa 1985
You are not the winner, 1985/86 were years with recording, fights, rumors, news, etc. 87/88 as rolling stones were without them.
Anyway, I was born in 1960 and I was quiet for around 2 years before serious things began. smoking smiley

Posted by: dennisdster ()
Date: October 27, 2016 00:33

I'm 66, and I definitely remember a world with The Rolling Stones, The Beatles, The Grateful Dead, et. al.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: October 28, 2016 04:04

I'm 56. The first thing I remember is watching The Beatles on Ed Sullivan in February 1964 when I was 3. I first heard The Rolling Stones on Christmas Day 1964, when I was 4. My 7 year old brother got 12x5 from Santa. So I remember a world without the Stones, but barely.

When I got the mono box, I first reached for 12x5. Still gets the job done. I was a tasteful toddler.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-28 04:11 by ab.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 28, 2016 04:22

LeonidP
I remember, circa 1985

Yep. And, at least in terms of studio albums, 1970, 1975, 1977, 1979, 1982, 1984-85, 1987-88, 1990-93, 1995-96, 1999-2004, 2006-2015.

Posted by: Chacho ()
Date: October 28, 2016 05:47

I got an AM clock radio for Christmas about 1960 at age 9, and listened to it every night tuned to Cousin Brucie on WABC AM out of New York City. These were the days before the Beatles (and the Stones). I remember the music in that period very well; 1960, 1961, and 1962. Hits I can remember from that period:

• "Sherry" by the Four Seasons
• "Please Mr. Postman" by the Marvelettes
• "Spanish Harlem" by Ben E. King
• "He's a Rebel" by the Crystals
• "Cathy's Clown" by the Everly Brothers
• "Twist and Shout" by the Isley Brothers
• "This Magic Moment" by the Drifters
• "Pretty Little Angel Eyes" by Cutis Lee

However, I didn't really get in to the Stones until 1969 when I went away to college.
I also remember that period very well; 1963 to 1968, but this is not technically "before the Stones". It is just before I got in to the Stones. I was more of a Beatles fan during that period.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-28 06:35 by Chacho.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: October 28, 2016 12:46

I remember getting together in my friend Tricia's front room - three or four of us listening to her older sisters' records. This must have been around 1961 because I vividly remember the Everly Brothers' Walk Right Back (a favourite still) and Ebony Eyes (definitely not!). Lots of Elvis records and the Shadows and novelty instrumentals like Hoots Mon and Nut Rocker. I discovered Roy Orbison, Chuck Berry, Gene Pitney and the Beach Boys on my own. Like Chacho, I remember Spanish Harlem, along with Poetry in Motion and Venus in Blue Jeans - though whether these were the American originals or cheap British covers from Woolworths, I'm not sure. Of course, none of this was what parents thought suitable for eleven year olds!

Date: October 28, 2016 13:20

My first ten years was a world without the Rolling Stones. I wasted those years by learning the Beatles's songs by heart smiling smiley

Posted by: ErwinH ()
Date: October 28, 2016 13:21

I don't remember a world without Satisfaction, JJF, YCAGWYW etc..

But I remember exactly the moment I became a Stones-addict.
It was the moment I heard they were going to release Steel Wheels, and go on a worldtour!!
I knew the Stones, but imagine them seeing live was something completely new and different and exciting...

That moment must have been july 1989
May 21st 1990 was a magical day, saw them live... for the very 1st time...

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: November 3, 2016 11:13

The Joker
I don't.

I guess you must be at least 65 to remember a world without the Stones.

Good question. Although I am 61 (heading for 62 in May 2017), I actually do not have much in the way of recollections of a world without the Stones.

I do vividly recall nearly failing my Common Entrance examination (taken age 13 in the UK) in 1968, because Jumping Jack Flash was being played on a radio in a classroom right next to the library where the exam was going to be held. It was the last thing I heard before being ushered into the library to sit the exam. I couldn't get what I'd just heard out of my head, how the f**k I ever managed to concentrate enough to pass the bloody exam I will never know.

Going back a little earlier (I was probably 10 years old so I guess the year was 1965), I was with my mother visiting some of her childhood friends in Sweden. I specifically remember being asked what was kind of a key question of the time/the era ...... 'so who do you like most, the Beatles or the Rolling Stones' ?

Looking back on that now, it really does make one realise that these bands have truly been the soundtrack to a life, an 'entire' human life ! Astonishing really, they've 'always been there', lurking away in the background ... and all too often (especially when I stick Exile on the Linn LP12 turntable and turn the volume up loud) in the foreground !! hot smiley hot smiley hot smiley

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: November 4, 2016 12:25

My earliest memory of the Stoners was seeing them on Top of The Pops or similar in about '65 when I was 5 years old.

Wasn't "into" music at that age. I just thought that Mick was a very funny clown.

the odd thing is that I remembered it so clearly.

[I subsequently became hooked on the Stones as a fan of the music in 1971, aged about 11 and caught them live for the first time in '73. The rest is all our shared history smiling smiley ]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1967
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home