Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Chuck Leavell interview - Billboard, October 21
Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: October 24, 2016 23:14

" We’d like to hear “Dandelion.”’ But you have to remember, the vast majority of the audience is probably going to be comprised of people coming for the first or second time, so it’s important to do the icon songs."

Dear Chuck,

it is great that you obviously read this board and take some inspiration for the setlists from it. It was me who suggested repeatedly that 'Dandelion' would make a great live song, and I am still convinced of this idea. Contrary to other fans on this board I always thought of it as a special gem in a row of the icon songs, and I always said that the Stones could only have done a 'B-sides & rarities' concert Long ago on a special occasion in a special venue for invited fans if they had wished to make a record. Honestly, I think that opportunity is over for many reasons. Mainly, you do not do such things in your 70's.

However, if you imagine the Stones having played 'Dandelion' for instance in Havanna instead of another song it would certainly have been one of the concert highlights, and I cannot imagine that anybody would have walked out. Back in 1990 people like me were actually fascinated by the stunning '2,000 lightyears' Performance although the song was never a big hit and mostly unknown.

I completely agree with you that the icon songs are the backbone of any Stones show. But as songs like 'Heart of stone' or 'Lady Jane' have proved, a real surprise now and then is sort of the ice on the cake even for casual concertgoers.

Therefore, 'Dandelion' could still be an option, couldn't it? After years, we got the choir on 'You can't always get what you want' which was suggested on this board. Talk it over with Mick & Keith, please. Thank you for reading our comments.

Sincerely

saltoftheearth

Posted by: MRAmandaJones ()
Date: October 26, 2016 15:52

bye bye johnny

“It’s one of my duties to draft the set lists and put them together and discuss it with the other principles. A lot of the hard-core fans are gonna say, ‘Man, it would be great if you never played “Brown Sugar,” “Start Me Up” or “Satisfaction” again. We’d like to hear “Dandelion.”’ But you have to remember, the vast majority of the audience is probably going to be comprised of people coming for the first or second time, so it’s important to do the icon songs. The challenge becomes, how much time do you have to put in stuff that is fun and unusual? In the last few years songs like ‘Can’t You Hear Me Knocking’ have come in, and ‘She’s a Rainbow’ and ‘2000 Light Years From Home’ have made it occasionally. You know, I have a fan’s perspective too. And I go [online] and read the songs the fans want to hear.”

[www.billboard.com]

I understand the point of view of Chuck Leavell and he must be rigt: maybe 80% of people going to a Rolling Stones show don't know much than the content of a "best of".

So, I can understand that the band needs to play their "hits".

But, the thing I can't indestand is why they could not replace songs with no interest for anyone (Out of control, You got me rocking etc.) with 1 or 2 song(s) for hard-core fans. I don't even think about rarities, but just songs like "Memory motel", "Heartbreaker", "Let it bleed", "Dead flowers", "Hand of fate", "19th Nervous breakdowné, "Shine a light" etc. In this way the Zip Code set lists were rather good for stadiums concerts (anyway far better than the Europe 2014 tour set lists).

Posted by: MidnightPeanut ()
Date: October 27, 2016 05:25

"...done in character, and the same applied to me doing everything on a really nice upright piano -- not a grand, but one that had some character to it..."

I like this!

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: October 27, 2016 06:34

for reasons they prefer to keep to themselves they have not offered as much variety since Licks.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1771
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home