Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Tim Ries and Bernard Fowler live in Las Vegas tonight Wed. Oct 19
Posted by: bv ()
Date: October 20, 2016 05:08

Tim Ries will be performing with Bernard Fowler and local Vegas musicians tonight Wednesday October 19 in Las Vegas at the The Sand Dollar, 3355 Spring Mountain road, corner of Polaris. 10:30 start. The place hold 200 people. Enjoy!

[thesanddollarlv.com]

Bjornulf

Re: Tim Ries and Bernard Fowler live in Las Vegas tonight Wed. Oct 19
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 20, 2016 05:11

Maybe Keith or Ronnie will join them for a tune...thumbs up

Posted by: rogerriffin ()
Date: October 20, 2016 05:54

What exited! this remembers me like March 16 show where Charlie attended and gave us exceptional jazz tunes with Bernard´s band!!!

Posted by: bv ()
Date: October 20, 2016 11:59

The bar takes two hundred people but it was so way packed you could not even reach the bar or move around. Great gig with Tim, Bernard and Vegas musicians plus from UK the amazing boogie woogie piano player Ben Waters!

I did not bring my camera, this is all I have, from my mobile.

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-20 12:00 by bv.

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: October 20, 2016 15:02

Wow, nice!
Setlist?

Posted by: AJDuffer ()
Date: October 20, 2016 17:26

They closed with Satisfaction and I believe played Little Queenie earlier (we got there after 11).

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: October 20, 2016 18:46

Ivan Neville played on some tunes too. They started with Honky Tonk Women and Miss You, then played A change is gonna come by Otis Redding. Afterwards it looked more like a loose jam session. It was great. They played about 1 1/2 hours.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: October 20, 2016 19:30

hockenheim95
Ivan Neville played on some tunes too. They started with Honky Tonk Women and Miss You, then played A change is gonna come by Otis Redding. Afterwards it looked more like a loose jam session. It was great. They played about 1 1/2 hours.

I'm so glad fans were able to get a good night out even if Micks was too sick to work but hope you don't mind me adding that 'A Change Is Gonna Come'
was an important and massive hit that was written and performed by Sam Cooke. It has a really fascinating history too.
[en.wikipedia.org]

Recorded early in '64 at RCA in Hollywood where the Stones would cut "19th Nervous Breakdown" and all of the Aftermath album late in '65.
Sam would be tragically shot to death at age 33 late in '64. Yes Otis, The Righteous Brothers and very many others covered it.

Feel better soon Mick!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-20 19:40 by hopkins.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: October 20, 2016 20:27

Do they play Stones songs so people will actually show up?

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: October 20, 2016 21:29

I'm sure they are well aware they attract audiences as part of the Stones touring lineup. Playing Stones covers is a nice acknowledgement of that fact. There's also the fact that Tim has recorded a couple albums of Stones covers in new arrangements...

Posted by: latvianinexile ()
Date: October 20, 2016 21:37

The Jimmy McIntosh band was supporting. Check this out:

[www.realrocknews.com]

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: October 20, 2016 23:13

latvianinexile
The Jimmy McIntosh band was supporting. Check this out:

[www.realrocknews.com]

Great story. Thanks for the link.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: October 21, 2016 06:16

Rolling Stones’ sidemen shake up Sand Dollar Lounge

By JOHN KATSILOMETES
LAS VEGAS REVIEW-JOURNAL

Hot. Packed. Loud. Fun.

Jimmy McIntosh hit the rock club four-pack on Wednesday night with an unannounced (aside from social media) performance at the venerable Sand Dollar Lounge at 3355 Spring Mountain Road in Las Vegas.

Joining McIntosh’s band in its scheduled performance were vocalist Bernard Fowler and sax great Tim Ries, both members of the Rolling Stones’ current backing lineup who were in town for the band’s two shows at T-Mobile Arena. The first of the two performances had been canceled as Mick Jagger is suffering from laryngitis, and both performers said they were awaiting word on the status of Saturday’s show.

Meantime, they ducked into the Sand Dollar to join McIntosh, a terrific guitarist who was a member of the “Jersey Boys” lineup at Palazzo and Paris Las Vegas and is a serious student of the Stones.

More pertinent, McIntosh has also recorded with Ronnie Wood, who contributed to McIntosh’s 2014 solo album, titled “Jimmy McIntosh And …” Wood did not take part in Wednesday’s pop-up show (nor did any of the Stones’ primary band members), but nonetheless the 90-minute set was wildly entertaining. The only advance word about the event was issued on Facebook posts by McIntosh and a few of his friends in the local rock community – including rock photographer Erik Kabik – and word swiftly raced across the city.

As Fowler called from the stage as he shaded his eyes from the lights and gazed at the throng in the cozy club, “All this from one post!” Fowler and Ries hit the Sand Dollar on Tuesday night to catch the McIntosh band, and decided Wednesday afternoon to join the fray. Even absent the Stones’ connection, the McIntosh band burns with keyboardist Bill Zappia of Terry Fator’s band at the Mirage; bassist Keith Hubacher, also of “Jersey Boys” who has backed ZZ Top’s Billy Gibbons; and drummer Pepe Jimenez, late of Carlos Santana’s band and currently with Santa Fe & The Fat City Horns (still seeking a new home, by the way) and “Baz – Star Crossed Love” at Palazzo.

McIntosh, the band leader, is well-known as a master guitarist and a member of Lon Bronson’s All-Star Band whose stage time includes a stint with the “Mamma Mia!” production at Mandalay Bay.

But McIntosh is more comfortable with the Stones than Abba.

“I met Jimmy a couple of years ago, and recorded a song of mine I’d written for Ronnie Wood (titled “I Gotta See”) and did a really good version of it,” Fowler said as he wiped sweat from his face after the show. “We came back here today and worked it out and decided we would play. I didn’t know what kind of response we’d get, but this is incredible.”

Said McIntosh: “I thought we’d have 30 people in here, honestly. Wild, right?”

The Sand Dollar’s capacity is listed at 199. Safe to say the venue was at least at capacity, with the crowd spilled out to the taco truck idling in the club’s parking lot.

As the show played forth, McIntosh ‘s band was joined by other noteworthy artists who were in town to catch the Stones – such as keyboardist Ivan Neville of the Neville Brothers who has played behind Keith Richards; and Ben Waters, who has toured and recorded with Charlie Watts. With many of those in the heated, musky club arriving at least two hours before the 10:30 p.m. start, Fowler kicked into “Miss You,” a club-wide singalong. The band dealt lengthy, jazz-infused takes of “Honky Tonk Women” and “Satisfaction.” Rock ’n’ roll oldies “Long Tall Sally” and “Little Queenie” were slotted between the Stones’ classics.

Having canceled at least one highly anticipated concert in Las Vegas, Fowler said the show was a gesture to the Stones’ avid fans.

“So many people from out of town came here to see us. It’s really unfortunate that this happened in Las Vegas, because I think everybody who has come to the show is from somewhere else,” Fowler said. “So we thought, you know what? For no other reason, let’s do this and give those people something to do.”

[www.reviewjournal.com]

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: October 22, 2016 14:57

A lot of clips from this show on this youtubechannel....here's Ben Waters & Tim Ries with Little Queenie [youtu.be]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1743
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home