Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 14
Re: The Rolling Stones Las Vegas show October 19 cancelled
Posted by: nankerzrk ()
Date: October 19, 2016 10:32

Aquamarine
nankerzrk
ifucantrockme
The conspiracy theory in me says that Mick isn't sick, but this is the result of poor ticket sales for Saturday. I think they are banking on the fact that many people already traveled to Vegas and will extend their stay and buy tickets for Saturday. That would also explain why this poor selling Saturday show has not been flexed or excessively lucky dipped. Otherwise cancel both shows now so people who have not yet traveled can change their plans.

Sorry, but there is literally 0% chance of this.

Who would cancel a sold out show in order to motivate people to buy ANOTHER ticket and extend their stay, to see a show 4 days later, which is also uncertain/unconfirmed and as far as anyone knows may also be cancelled?

Not to mention the irreparable reputational damage.

Although I agree with you otherwise, nankerzrk, I don't know that there's any damage to their reputation--the laryngitis seems genuine, and it's just one of those things that happen. They obviously left it as long as possible to cancel, hoping Mick could still perform. I feel really bad for all the disappointed people, though. sad smiley Maybe some of you can get together and listen to Stones music and drown your sorrows and dance.*

*In fact, you've already been invited by swiss over in another thread!

Yup, totally agree with you - I meant the reputational damage if this was not actually due to illness, but rather a marketing ploy.

I believe this is actually illness, and so I don't think there is any question of reputational damage.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: October 19, 2016 10:33

Very sorry for all you guys and dolls who travelled so far

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: October 19, 2016 10:44

MisterDDDD
So sorry for those that travelled far for this show..

I travelled somewhat far and am so grateful to have seen one show for the trip, but feel for those that flew in for just this show. Mick's voice was struggling a bit last Friday, but it was the worst weather (hottest/driest/dustiest) day of the weekend and I chalked it up to that. Sure it didn't help...

Here's hoping Mick recovers quickly and the second show remains unchanged.

MisterDDDD, are you in LV?

- swiss

Posted by: Niek ()
Date: October 19, 2016 10:45

What a disappointment for the people who came special for the concert to Las Vegas! But I am sure Mick feels awful too.
Wish you all a good recovery.

(Always took candy from strangers)

Posted by: ifucantrockme ()
Date: October 19, 2016 10:47

nankerzrk
Aquamarine
nankerzrk
ifucantrockme
The conspiracy theory in me says that Mick isn't sick, but this is the result of poor ticket sales for Saturday. I think they are banking on the fact that many people already traveled to Vegas and will extend their stay and buy tickets for Saturday. That would also explain why this poor selling Saturday show has not been flexed or excessively lucky dipped. Otherwise cancel both shows now so people who have not yet traveled can change their plans.

Sorry, but there is literally 0% chance of this.

Who would cancel a sold out show in order to motivate people to buy ANOTHER ticket and extend their stay, to see a show 4 days later, which is also uncertain/unconfirmed and as far as anyone knows may also be cancelled?

Not to mention the irreparable reputational damage.

Although I agree with you otherwise, nankerzrk, I don't know that there's any damage to their reputation--the laryngitis seems genuine, and it's just one of those things that happen. They obviously left it as long as possible to cancel, hoping Mick could still perform. I feel really bad for all the disappointed people, though. sad smiley Maybe some of you can get together and listen to Stones music and drown your sorrows and dance.*

*In fact, you've already been invited by swiss over in another thread!

Yup, totally agree with you - I meant the reputational damage if this was not actually due to illness, but rather a marketing ploy.

I believe this is actually illness, and so I don't think there is any question of reputational damage.
Well, they should cancel Saturday then too before another 5000 people with non refundable travel arrangement fly out there.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: October 19, 2016 10:58

Well, I guess I could go see Brittany Spears instead.......NOT!

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: October 19, 2016 11:11

BluzDude
spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

You could go to one or all of the 12 Cirque du Soleils...

You could tailgate outside the Presidential Debate at UNLV tomorrow night...

You could go to one of the corny pop-up Halloween carnivals that sprouted up this week...

You could go ziplining across Downtown Vegas (or just outside LV in the desert)

You could go to the gun show or the machine-gun shooting range (I shit you not)

You could go to one of the Halloween-themed erotic "experiences" (I shit you not)

Otherwise, it looks like Shidobbee is having a party tomorrow on Tropicana.

Anyone going to that?

-swiss

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-19 13:29 by swiss.

Posted by: RaiseTheKnife ()
Date: October 19, 2016 11:19

I feel sorry for those who already are in Vegas.

But from one point of view this is good news as I really was bummed to hear Mick struggle singing many songs at Desert Trip, and I thought it was an age thing and that it was all over. Now I realize it might have been something else that just father time and I'm stoked to see if Mick will get back his voice.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: October 19, 2016 11:20

Thinking about Human Nature Jukebox

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: October 19, 2016 11:20

Amy340

The tweet from Oct 14th said see you Saturday, 10/22, at T Mobile Arena. I remember seeing it at the time and thought it was odd there was no mention of Wednesday.

I saw this Tweet (14 Oct, 11:20am) too: [Twitter.com] .

It was a strange message at that time, expected actually a Tweet about the times when the Stones are on stage at Desert Trip #2 ....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-19 11:25 by Irix.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: October 19, 2016 11:31

Strange indeed, must be an oversight...

I doubt anything untoward is going on, they've obviously had to produce a medical certificate and the insurance company probably has the option to ask for a counter examination.

Reading [patient.info] it seems a laryingitis is a fairly loose term, it's not necessarily an infection and it can be a virus or a germ.

A typical viral laryngitis gets worse over 2-3 days. It then eases and goes, usually within a week. However, you may have a croaky voice for a week or so even after the other symptoms have gone. This is because the inflammation of the vocal cords may take a while to settle after the virus has gone.

Can he really be ok for Saturday ?

dunhill
A friend of mine flew all the way from Milan, Italy, to see the show and for a meet and greet. To say he's devastated is an understatement.

With the Stones ? Didn't know they had these ?

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: October 19, 2016 11:55

gotdablouse

Can he really be ok for Saturday ?

Should be possible.

Similar incident in August 2006 -- from IORR-News 2006:

"Aug 15, 2006: El Ejido concert cancelled

Spanish press as well as the mayor of El Ejido announed today at 1pm the cancellation of the Rolling Stones show in El Ejido Almeria Spain. The cancellation is confirmed officially by the Stones as per this afternoon. See report by lne.es, and details by IORR about the cancellations of Valladolid and El Ejido. Normally it takes 3-4 days for Mick to heal his laryngitis, from past experiences, meaning he should be fine for the shows at Twickenham London.

Aug 14, 2006: Valladolid concert cancelled

The Rolling Stones announced today at 2:30pm the cancellation of their show in Valladolid Spain, due to Mick Jagger having laryngitis - sore throat, being unable to sing. See all the details and reports from Valladolid."

[iorr.org]

The two Twickenham shows on 20 & 22 August 2006 took then place: [iorr.org] , [iorr.org] .

Cause of Laryngitis can also be strong stress on the voice in rooms with dry, dusty or smoky air as described in the german Wikipedia article - [de.wikipedia.org] .

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-19 12:35 by Irix.

Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: October 19, 2016 12:03

I'm sorry to hear this both for Mick and the fans'i came yesterday with a lady friend who was all pumped up to see them for the first time ever.myself I can leave and return if reschedule for next week
I can come back as im on 2 weeks holiday but my friend can't as she took time off work.HOpe Sat is on and I can find a tic.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-19 17:01 by babyblue.

Posted by: stonesfrkk ()
Date: October 19, 2016 12:43

F ing unbelievable i just landed and checked in from vegas. I m so F ing bummed i just checked in ad the lady said they canceled it but don t leave Saturday looks like it might be on @#$%& though the stones would of known if Mick had issues don t let us know 12 hours before the show the weird thing is i took the last flight out of LA and i m a frequent flyer on mutiple carriers and the last flight to vegas on 4 carriers were all delayed from Los Angeles and i just got here at 2:AM. Really weird i think it could be bad ticket sales but who knows i looked for ticket s the last week and you could get tickets anywhere but in the front A and C blocks everything else was wid open i could of got section B row A last night for face. I don t know what s up but Mick could of gave us a heafs up sooner imo. Owell Enjoy Las Vagas maybe he wants to see the presidential Debate Jk i feel bad for eveybody that traveled and spent 10 s of thousands of dollars hopefully they come through for us!! Don t go gamble all your money away in your sorrows like me lmao!! Go have a shot of johnny Walker Blue Label in there blues album there releaing and Enjoy it!!!Lets hope Saturday for all of us who came out here to Vegas

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: October 19, 2016 13:05

BluzDude

Might be the only way you get to hear "Satisfaction" in Vegas

Posted by: Misterjimmy ()
Date: October 19, 2016 13:05

this is a real bummer . flying in this morning . no way I can extend stay for Saturday ( if it happens ) . well at least the wife and I enjoy vegas. the show was just a BIG bonus for a trip here. maybe we can get a bar to play all stones songs for 3 hours !! lmao

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: October 19, 2016 13:09

I am from Germany sitting here and nearly crying in my Hotel room...

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: October 19, 2016 13:18

My heart goes out to everyone affected by this , the same thing happened to me in Atlantic city 10/27/06 when the Stones were supposed to play and coincidentally Mick had Laringitis .this was supposed to be a good fun weekend which did not come to be for me ,and the way i found about it sitting in the lobby of the hotel 4:30pm Friday afternnon day of the show when we were checking in to the hotel .Long story short spent the night at the Hard Rock watching the Cardinals clinch the Fall Classic and enjoying a Halloween costume contest . Not what was planned .I wish everyone the best in sin city and hope that ticketholders get resolution one way or another and hope the show gets rescheduled in a timely manner for everyone left holding a ducat sad smiley

Posted by: bradleycsocal ()
Date: October 19, 2016 13:35

Can't cancel the hotel room at the MGM we paid $200 for. They wouldn't even give us partial credit for another night. So my wife suggest @#$%& it lets just go to Vegas and have a good time. I love that girl!!!

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: October 19, 2016 13:38

Bring back memories of the cancelled Atlantic show of 2006; travelling and hotel expenses and the frustation. I feel sorry for all of you who are in that situation today. I hope Mick gets well soon.
Rock and roll,
Mops

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: October 19, 2016 13:50

I got up at 5a to get ready for my 7:30a flight from Boston and got a text from a friend out there. This sux! Flight and hotel was all paid for. Thought about going for the night anyway - but I just cancelled. Total bummer.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: October 19, 2016 13:51

I've been caught out by these last minute cancellations myself over the years, some that spring to mind are Wembley/London (in 1990 I think it was - it was Keith's finger incident), Valladolid/Spain, Atlantic City/States ... s**t happens !

I feel very sorry for everyone affected by the Vegas cancellation - it may yet be cancellations (plural) if he still can't perform on Saturday.

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: October 19, 2016 13:55

Bad news indeed.
Imo, there is also no chance to see the Stones perform on saturday.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: October 19, 2016 13:57

Very sorry for everyone who was going. especially for the people who would go from far away.
jeroen

Date: October 19, 2016 14:10

stonesfrkk
F ing unbelievable i just landed and checked in from vegas. I m so F ing bummed i just checked in ad the lady said they canceled it but don t leave Saturday looks like it might be on @#$%& though the stones would of known if Mick had issues don t let us know 12 hours before the show the weird thing is i took the last flight out of LA and i m a frequent flyer on mutiple carriers and the last flight to vegas on 4 carriers were all delayed from Los Angeles and i just got here at 2:AM. Really weird i think it could be bad ticket sales but who knows i looked for ticket s the last week and you could get tickets anywhere but in the front A and C blocks everything else was wid open i could of got section B row A last night for face. I don t know what s up but Mick could of gave us a heafs up sooner imo. Owell Enjoy Las Vagas maybe he wants to see the presidential Debate Jk i feel bad for eveybody that traveled and spent 10 s of thousands of dollars hopefully they come through for us!! Don t go gamble all your money away in your sorrows like me lmao!! Go have a shot of johnny Walker Blue Label in there blues album there releaing and Enjoy it!!!Lets hope Saturday for all of us who came out here to Vegas

Just came from down under. 22 hours of travel to get here for nothing now other than a week of tourism. This really sucks.

Posted by: Voodookitten76 ()
Date: October 19, 2016 14:12

T-Mobile is available next Wednesday the 26th, and they may have some downtime before heading to NYC to open Exhibitionism. Maybe they will reschedule this time?

Very sorry to everyone who travelled for this.

"Nice bit of silk, Em."

Posted by: mrsoandso ()
Date: October 19, 2016 14:29

If you are in Vegas and now have some free time, I would highly recommend you take a trip out to the Grand Canyon. You can arrange for a day trip through most hotels and it is truly magnificent. Some of the tours include the Skywalk which extends out over the canyon.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: October 19, 2016 14:30

I'm truly saddened for all of you that have traveled in for this one.
I could have easily been stranded out there with you all, but for a few reasons this one just never felt right to me.

Hope Mick bounces back onstage quickly.

And now...
only one STICKY thread remains.

sad smiley

Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: October 19, 2016 15:13

Oh no, people with disposable income are STUCK in Las Vegas for a few days with nothing to do?

Sounds quite tragic.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: October 19, 2016 15:29

DeanGoodman
BluzDude

Might be the only way you get to hear "Satisfaction" in Vegas

Sure. Why not? You're already miserable.

I really feel for those who travelled for this show - the travel costs, loss of vacation time and disappointment. It happened to me in 2006 when i booked tickets for the Vancouver show in early November. When the 2 shows at the Beacon were announced, I looked at their schedule and told a friend, Vancouver isn't gonna happen, Mick is going to blow out his voice. Two or 3 days before the show I called the venue to ask if they had heard anything about a cancellation - the woman was baffled and said no, they're unloading the trucks now. Two hours later - cancellation announced. Luckily I was on top of it early and was able to re-book flight and hotel before they sold out, and it was a great show. So, here I am 10 years older, wetting myself with anxiety over Saturday. (Or maybe that's just age, too.) Dammit. Get well soon, Mick.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-19 15:39 by SomeTorontoGirl.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 14

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1947
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home