Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 6 of 8
Re: OT: New Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame nominees announced
Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: December 21, 2016 19:07

TheGreek
It is a sin and a travesty of justice that the J. Geils band is not in the hallowed halls of Cleveland .Every time I have seen them in performance they have killed in such a true rock and roll fashion and plus WHEN they do get INDUCTED we will be blessed with a reunion of Mr.Geils with his bandmates

thumbs up

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: December 21, 2016 20:26

Former Pearl Jam drummer slams ‘Rock & Roll Hall Of Fucktardia’ for induction snub

[www.nme.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 21, 2016 21:42

ROCKMAN

Posted by: HankM ()
Date: December 22, 2016 01:11

Deltics
Former Pearl Jam drummer slams ‘Rock & Roll Hall Of Fucktardia’ for induction snub

[www.nme.com]

Hall of Fucktardia
hahahaha that is awesome

As long as everyone knows and understands how full of shit this place is...
lol.... Hall of Fucktardia... that is too funny.

Former Pearl Jam drummer Dave Abbruzzese has hit out at the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame DOGSHIT/FUCKTARDIA for not including him in the band’s upcoming induction.

“So… Rock & Roll Hall of Fucktardia. Ergh,” he wrote on Facebook. “It makes absolutely zero sense to me…I’m just gonna shove this statement up someone’s arse:

“’As the original ballot is created, the members of each eligible band are determined by largely who was present and active during the most influential recording years’.”

He continued: “I’m not sure how 275+ live shows and 38% of record sales doesn’t fit their criteria…I may write more about this as time travels on… As for now, I look forward to sharing my first solo album with you all. Thank you for sharing your opinions & for your love & support.”

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-22 01:14 by HankM.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 22, 2016 01:41

Deltics

[www.nme.com]

That's crazy - he was their drummer at the beginning ('91-94) when they actually meant something and made an impact. Not a fan of Pearl Jam, but that's totally lame.
Another reason to write off the Rock Hall as pure DOGSHIT. thumbs down
What the hell is wrong with them?!!! angry smiley

*Evenflow from their debut is a decent song. thumbs up

Date: December 22, 2016 01:50

In light of this news a dog was asked what he thinks
about Pearl Jam playing Evenflow at their induction concert

His reply

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 22, 2016 01:54

smileys with beer

Posted by: Socrates1 ()
Date: December 22, 2016 07:30

For Pearl Jam: I like their first one, Yield and No Code. The Eddie Vedder ukulele project is good. I didn't mind Temple of the Dog, no pun intended. In light of what the drummer has said, I'm calling them Squirrel Jam. Get J. Geils in there before Shmerljam.

Date: December 22, 2016 08:04

people keep saying journey are a band that built themselves on 1 hit. my question, since when?

the band has 8 albums that hit the US top 10. they have 5 top 10 hits. they have 17 top 40 hits. the bands biggest hit is actually "open arms". they have 9 albums with sales certified of 2 million or more.

Re: OT: Rock Hall Inductees Are Pearl Jam, Tupac Shakur, Journey, Yes, Electric Light Orchestra and Joan Baez
Date: December 22, 2016 13:19

RollingFreak
Palace Revolution 2000
RollingFreak
keefriff99
Journey has had a pretty remarkable career, and they still sell out sheds all over the world. They're certainly not MY type of band, but their success is undeniable.

You make a good point though...there really should be a higher standard than just sticking around long enough and being popular. How about impact, influence, artistic contribution? By that metric, then yeah, the Misfits ABSOLUTELY deserve a place in the Hall before a band like Journey, who are basically a fast-food pop-rock band...pleasant enough to listen to, but ultimately inconsequential.
We differ on "remarkable" career. Again, I don't begrudge anyone's tastes, or opinions if you don't like them and are just sticking up for them. To me, their "career" is one song. Its Don't Stop Believing and we all know that. And its a great song and they should be praised more than other bands of that time. But they hardly changed things, I hardly think they are still relevant today. They don't REALLY sell out sheds. They do decent summer business, when on a bill with 3 other bands. To me that is not what a hall of fame band makes.

I agree, it shouldn't just be popularity and relevance, but for the Hall to say it has nothing to do with that. Thats ridiculous, and its wrong because it should. Other bands were bigger than most and they should be honored. They should be honored when they MAINTAINED that relevance, even after breaking up. If a band like Journey gets in, to me that means anyone with a hit can get in. I love Grand Funk Railroad, I'm not saying they should be in the Hall of Fame! There's levels. Someone I don't like as much like, the Eagles say, deserve it way more than Grand Funk Railroad. They did way more. Just how I feel. I think we generally agree on that point, but it just gets me angry. Mainly cause it was a good hall then they totally ruined it.

Rolling Freak, I don't quite agree that "one album only" should hold up as an argument against a and getting in; or vice versa, that many albums, and long career equal a good career.
The Sex Pistols, and arguable Nirvana only did one album - yet in their cases, as with the MC5 - this album was vital to the evolution of popular music.

I don't disagree, and I know the MC5 are really beloved by people. They aren't one of my favorites although I like that album and Kick Out The Jams is a great song. I do think they are different than the Sex Pistols or Nirvana, or Guns N Roses who essentially had one album and I'm a massive fan of theirs. People don't seem to cite the MC5 quite the same way as those other ones. I would question whether the album was "vital to the evolution of popular music" but again I know they are beloved. I truly don't know enough about them to argue it properly, which in all honesty I feel many others are incapable of at least admitting. Of the list we were given, they were right up there with those I thought should go in. But just compared to others that aren't in and I think should be, and people that are going in this year like Yes and Pearl Jam which I feel are very deserved, they aren't ones I'm really fighting for. If they had more albums that were universally loved I would maybe feel different.

You're right that a long career and more albums doesn't necessarily mean a good career. Look at the Stones. But at least with the Stones they have numerous albums that are flat out amazing. With other rock acts that get put in, thats what I judge them against. They can't be the Stones or the Beatles or those guys, but I do think there's a scale and thats what I weigh them against. Some feel like they fit, others don't.
thumbs upGood points

Date: December 22, 2016 13:26

<Guns N Roses who essentially had one album>

That calls for an explanation confused smiley

Use Your Illusion II alone sold 770.000 units in the US during the first week..

Lies sold 5 million in the US.

I won't bother to check the Appetite-numbers smiling smiley

Re: OT: Rock Hall Inductees Are Pearl Jam, Tupac Shakur, Journey, Yes, Electric Light Orchestra and Joan Baez
Date: December 22, 2016 13:29

LeonidP
Palace Revolution 2000
RollingFreak
keefriff99
Journey has had a pretty remarkable career, and they still sell out sheds all over the world. They're certainly not MY type of band, but their success is undeniable.

You make a good point though...there really should be a higher standard than just sticking around long enough and being popular. How about impact, influence, artistic contribution? By that metric, then yeah, the Misfits ABSOLUTELY deserve a place in the Hall before a band like Journey, who are basically a fast-food pop-rock band...pleasant enough to listen to, but ultimately inconsequential.
We differ on "remarkable" career. Again, I don't begrudge anyone's tastes, or opinions if you don't like them and are just sticking up for them. To me, their "career" is one song. Its Don't Stop Believing and we all know that. And its a great song and they should be praised more than other bands of that time. But they hardly changed things, I hardly think they are still relevant today. They don't REALLY sell out sheds. They do decent summer business, when on a bill with 3 other bands. To me that is not what a hall of fame band makes.

I agree, it shouldn't just be popularity and relevance, but for the Hall to say it has nothing to do with that. Thats ridiculous, and its wrong because it should. Other bands were bigger than most and they should be honored. They should be honored when they MAINTAINED that relevance, even after breaking up. If a band like Journey gets in, to me that means anyone with a hit can get in. I love Grand Funk Railroad, I'm not saying they should be in the Hall of Fame! There's levels. Someone I don't like as much like, the Eagles say, deserve it way more than Grand Funk Railroad. They did way more. Just how I feel. I think we generally agree on that point, but it just gets me angry. Mainly cause it was a good hall then they totally ruined it.

Rolling Freak, I don't quite agree that "one album only" should hold up as an argument against a and getting in; or vice versa, that many albums, and long career equal a good career.
The Sex Pistols, and arguable Nirvana only did one album - yet in their cases, as with the MC5 - this album was vital to the evolution of popular music.

Sex Pistols made it for the statement they made for punk rock, and the album is considered by many to be the best punk rock album ever. Nirvana had 4 amazing albums, not 1 (actually 5 since Unplugged is also an album, and also amazing).
Yeah, Nirvana released 4 aLBUMS; just as the MC5 put out 3 official albums (Back in USA, and High Time). But their big album was so big, and with so much impact, that it overshadowed their other output.
Does anyone ever mention "In Utero"? A most excellent album? So when I was called Nirvana a 1 album group, it was meant as in 'might as well have been". They would be included in HOF on that album alone.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: December 22, 2016 13:38

DandelionPowderman

That calls for an explanation confused smiley

Use Your Illusion II alone sold 770.000 units in the US during the first week..

Lies sold 5 million in the US.

I won't bother to check the Appetite-numbers smiling smiley

Trust me, I know that. I'm a massive GNR fan. To me, Appetite isn't even my favorite record of theirs. But to the general public, they have one album, and people gloss over Illusions. Thats not wrong. Most people said it when they were inducted, including those close to the band.

Also, in terms of the MC5, I had no idea Jon Landau was involved with them in some way. He's major in his involvement with the Hall and I had no idea he produced their second album, their first studio record. At first it makes me surprise they aren't already in, as I would assume he'd push hard for something he has a hand in, as a way to pat him on the back. Then again, I don't know much about the MC5 so maybe they had a falling out or Landau hates them so he actively keeps them out. Either way, was surprised to see he's part of their history. Had no idea about that.

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: December 22, 2016 15:52

OK, so I guess we will never get to the bottom of how this thing works, but how would you answer the following:

Would the Stones deserve to be in based on their "1980 -> present" body of work? And if the answer is no, then what would be your starting year?

And if they would have broken up in 69/70, should they be in for their 1960's body of work?

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: December 22, 2016 16:12

keefriffhard4life
people keep saying journey are a band that built themselves on 1 hit. my question, since when?

the band has 8 albums that hit the US top 10. they have 5 top 10 hits. they have 17 top 40 hits. the bands biggest hit is actually "open arms". they have 9 albums with sales certified of 2 million or more.

I am fully aware of the hits of Journey. They were on the radio constantly back in the mid 80s or so, it was annoying as I had to keep changing the station as so not to listen to those horrible songs.

Date: December 22, 2016 16:14

Palace Revolution 2000
LeonidP
Palace Revolution 2000
RollingFreak
keefriff99

Sex Pistols made it for the statement they made for punk rock, and the album is considered by many to be the best punk rock album ever. Nirvana had 4 amazing albums, not 1 (actually 5 since Unplugged is also an album, and also amazing).
Yeah, Nirvana released 4 aLBUMS; just as the MC5 put out 3 official albums (Back in USA, and High Time). But their big album was so big, and with so much impact, that it overshadowed their other output.
Does anyone ever mention "In Utero"? A most excellent album? So when I was called Nirvana a 1 album group, it was meant as in 'might as well have been". They would be included in HOF on that album alone.

In Utero get a mention? Not in these parts, but it is my favorite as well, Nirvana fans recognize its greatness for sure.

Date: December 22, 2016 16:20

It's cool ELO made it, I still love many of their songs. They were actually my favorite band before I was turned onto the Stones. At that time, I got all the ELO albums from one of those record club deals, get something like 8 albums for a penny and then you have to buy 4 more in the next year.

Anyway I also love Jeff Lynne when he was with the Traveling Wilburys.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: December 22, 2016 18:18

LeonidP
Anyway I also love Jeff Lynne when he was with the Traveling Wilburys.

Jeff Lynne as a producer and musical mind should be in in some fashion. I love that he's getting in for ELO. For years he never really got the accolades from the general public (he certainly did from his friends like Harrison, Petty, Dylan, etc) so I'm always so happy for him to see him get any from them. He helped a lot of careers and, maybe because he's British, is so underrated in musical discussions.

2000 LYFH
OK, so I guess we will never get to the bottom of how this thing works, but how would you answer the following:

Would the Stones deserve to be in based on their "1980 -> present" body of work? And if the answer is no, then what would be your starting year?

And if they would have broken up in 69/70, should they be in for their 1960's body of work?

Ha, no! The Stones deserve to be in from their starting work in 1963 to Tattoo You in 1982. Since then nothing in their catalogue has really added anything of value, at least outside of die hard fans. They still tour today because they were so good back then. I personally think its harder to say whether they would get in for just their 60s work. If Get Yer Ya Yas Out was their farewell lets say, then yes they probably would have cause thats still Bleed, Banquet, Aftermath, etc. It wouldn't even really be a question now that I think about it, yes it would get them in, its just that when you add their 70s work like Sticky, Exile, and assortment of greatest hits from the rest of that decade they are a shoe in with the likes of only a certain few (The Beatles, The Who, Zeppelin, The Kinks, Dylan, etc).

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: December 22, 2016 19:14

"Artists ignored by the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame are angry over the way the organization is being run and say the latest list of inductees proves the management is biased and snobby.

When Ertegun was chairman, the nominating committee included Keith Richards, Eric Clapton, Etta James and Rod Stewart. Now the biggest names on the committee are Robbie Robertson, Questlove and Steven Van Zandt.

Rock publicist Dorothy Carvello, Ertegun’s former assistant, told me, “The voting is rigged.”

[pagesix.com]

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: December 22, 2016 20:22

There was ONE viable candidate who SHOULD have gotten in. The J Geils Band. They need to shut the whole thing down NOW! Tupac???!! Who or what is that. Let rap open their own HOF.
Journey is one of the worst bands of all times..In the same "class" as Bon Jovi, Styx, Triumph - all those nonsense bands. Kinda wish the Stones refused the induction.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: December 22, 2016 20:32

MisterDDDD
"Artists ignored by the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame are angry over the way the organization is being run and say the latest list of inductees proves the management is biased and snobby.

When Ertegun was chairman, the nominating committee included Keith Richards, Eric Clapton, Etta James and Rod Stewart. Now the biggest names on the committee are Robbie Robertson, Questlove and Steven Van Zandt.

Rock publicist Dorothy Carvello, Ertegun’s former assistant, told me, “The voting is rigged.”

[pagesix.com]

Never realised Keith and Eric were involved in that way.
I would have expected them both to be very dismissive of the whole caper.

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: December 22, 2016 21:14

I'm happy for Journey (they did for me in 2008 the ultimate best concert in the 21st Century) and also Electric Light Orchestra (best concert in 2016). Also very deserved Pearl Jam & Joan Baez (= a shame, she's not already inthere).

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: December 22, 2016 21:32

2000 LYFH

The Stones would be in even they'd broken up in 1965.

Date: December 22, 2016 21:45

LeonidP
Palace Revolution 2000
LeonidP
Palace Revolution 2000
RollingFreak
keefriff99

In Utero get a mention? Not in these parts, but it is my favorite as well, Nirvana fans recognize its greatness for sure.

I have to confess - I didn't get into Nirvana until "Never Mind". I didn't know "Bleach" at all, until much later. So 'Never Mind' was for me the obvious 'best one'; for some non sense reason. Because it took me a lot longer to appreciate In Utero'; an album that I like much more than NM.

Date: December 22, 2016 21:48

Just curious: is Van Morrison in the HOF? I have been on a big VM kick.
He might be the only one of the big artists who came up through the 60's and 70's, who did NOT have a major identity crisis in the 80's. Matter of fact, his quest, his journey reached untold heights ( and maybe it s completion, if you will) in the 80's.

Date: December 22, 2016 21:52

MisterDDDD

[pagesix.com]

If they would just rename this DOGSHIT something else then I would never say another word about this DOGSHIT, they could put in anyone they want and it would be fine with me.

But right now it is like calling something "The salt water hall of fame" and then allowing in "fresh water". It ruins it. It is like have a "Crocodile hall of fame" and allowing in Alligators and Captain Hook.

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: December 22, 2016 23:10

tatters
2000 LYFH

The Stones would be in even they'd broken up in 1965.

OK, well your going to have to run that by the HOA committee first! They don't let just anyone in, you knowsmoking smiley

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: December 22, 2016 23:55

Why is Tupac in the rock + roll hall of fame? By that way of thinking, Led Zeppelin should be in the hip hop hall of fame.

Posted by: mariannerl ()
Date: December 23, 2016 00:18

Since this hall of fame is not a pure rock n' roll thing (anymore) my votes would go to the bands etc which (ore one singer) are relevant for me:

Bad Brains
Joan Baez
Depeche Mode
MC5
and
KRAFTWERK

I must confess that I tought that bands like Journey or Geils do not exist anymore. I never liked ELO.

But maybe the main reasom is that I am not living in the USA. But otherwise it's funny that I probably would never forget Tupac or Chic. But I would not vote for them.

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: December 23, 2016 00:50

LeonidP
keefriffhard4life

I am fully aware of the hits of Journey. They were on the radio constantly back in the mid 80s or so, it was annoying as I had to keep changing the station as so not to listen to those horrible songs.

Perfect

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 6 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2003
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home