Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Paul McCartney and Neil Young Desert Trip Saturday 15-Oct-2016 live show updates
Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: October 16, 2016 13:33

MisterDDDD
Showed up early again and enjoyed Pails show from the front rail in the pit and was blown away. Great show (much cooler and breezy) and Pauls show was as good as I could have hoped for.
But.. The Stomes show from the front row was the better show.. Not just my fanboy opinion either.. It created a lot more post show buzz and excitement and remains best of DT2 (so far )
My front row was the best of my life too , musically speaking

Re: Paul McCartney and Neil Young Desert Trip Saturday 15-Oct-2016 live show updates
Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: October 16, 2016 17:44

Couldn't help wondering whether the Stones were trolling Paul a bit last night..

Could've been there before, but I didn't notice it until in between Neil and Paul's sets.. a plane with digital advertising circling the grounds hyping the new Rolling Stones blues album's release.. kept circling for most of the show...
Loved it.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: October 16, 2016 18:01

Happy for you guys front row rail- wow.
RS mag says this was Paul's setlist last night (I didn't try to watch) is it correct how he changed up his last tunes here? Oh boy.

McCartney Set List:
"A Hard Day's Night"
"Jet"
"Can't Buy Me Love"
"Letting Go"
"Day Tripper"
"Let Me Roll It"
"I've Got a Feeling"
"My Valentine"
"Nineteen Hundred and Eighty-Five"
"Maybe I'm Amazed"
"We Can Work It Out"
"In Spite of All the Danger"
"I've Just Seen a Face"
"Love Me Do"
"And I Love Her"
"Blackbird"
"Here Today"
"Queenie Eye"
"Lady Madonna"
"FourFiveSeconds"
"Eleanor Rigby"
"Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite!"
"A Day in the Life/Give Peace a Chance" (with Neil Young)
"Why Don't We Do It in the Road?" (with Neil Young)
"Something"
"Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da"
"Band on the Run"
"Back in the U.S.S.R."
"Let It Be"
"Live and Let Die"
"Hey Jude"
Encore:
"I Wanna Be Your Man"
"Helter Skelter"
"Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight/The End"

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-16 18:02 by 35love.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: October 16, 2016 18:10

Maybe it is the same setlist as Sat. Oct. 8
I can't tell anymore looking it up online,
but Rihanna duet was there, his daughter's in the audience-

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: October 16, 2016 18:26

Anybody have Neil's set list? Did he sit in with Sir Paul again?

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: October 16, 2016 18:37

Woz
Anybody have Neil's set list? Did he sit in with Sir Paul again?

Here: [www.setlist.fm]

Yes, he was with Macca.

You can find all setlists on www.setlist.fm

Posted by: aftergeography ()
Date: October 16, 2016 18:38

Neil Young
2016-10-15
Empire Polo Club, Indio, California, USA
Desert Trip
w/ Promise Of The Real

01. After The Gold Rush
02. Heart Of Gold
03. Old Man
04. Long May You Run
05. Mother Earth (Natural Anthem)
06. Out On The Weekend
07. Comes A Time
08. Harvest Moon
09. Neighborhood
10. Show Me
11. Helpless
12. Words
13. Alabama
14. Powderfinger
15. Texas Rangers
16. Cowgirl In The Sand
17. Seed Justice
18. Like A Hurricane
19. Peace Trail
20. Rockin' In The Free World

21. A Day In The Life>Give Peace A Chance (guests with Paul McCartney)
22. Why Don't We Do It In The Road? (guests with Paul McCartney)

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 16, 2016 20:37

Day two weekend two: Neil brought his A+ game last night - as good as the Stones on Friday, and depending on who you ask, better.
Goes without saying that from a improvized/setlist/spontaneity point of view, he was much better than Paul as was the case last week.

Made my way down to the festival site around 3:30 to revisit the wood fired flatbread pizza stand I discovered yesterday, and while the friendly counter gals from yesterday weren't there, the pizza was still phenomenal. Casually made my way to the pit where I had a seat on the floor propped up against the back rail which also provided shelter from the blazing afternoon desert sun. Once the sun went behind the mountains around 6:00, I made my move by maneuvering towards the center and closer to the stage. Lots of people still sitting in their spots, so when everyone stood up around 6:30 there was that much more room to move forward. Officially planted on my plot of floor about six people back and dead center with plenty of elbow room, it was only a matter of minutes before Neil would take the stage. As with last week, he opened with a mini solo set: After the Gold Rush followed by Heart of Gold, but the set didn't end there as he then played Old Man (incredible), followed by Long May You Run (unbelievable), and finally Mother Earth (Natural Anthem). With his poignant harmonica wailing through the desert air, he could have stood their with his guitar or sat at the piano all alone for the rest of his show and it would have been great, but when his band joined him onstage things kept getting better. After a mesmerizing version of Out on the Weekend and a couple other tunes (Comes a Time,Harvest Moon, et al), things got seriously real when they started playing Helpless:

"Blue, blue windows behind the stars,
Yellow moon on the rise,
Big birds flying across the sky,
Throwing shadows on our eyes.
Leave us helpless, helpless, helpless..."

Indeed the imagery was powerful and emotional. It should be said (or should go without saying),that while his backup band are all great musicians, they're also excellent backup singers - their harmonies were as close to perfect as can be (think CSN). After a stomping version of Words, Neil and the band ripped into Alabama (not played last week) and the fire and fury of that tune was as powerful as it's ever been. After the great Powderfinger and the new Texas Rangers, the band laid it all out with an extended version of Cowgirl in the Sand in place of last weeks Down by the River. In my mind both of those tunes evoke so many memories of when I was young learning to play guitar by playing along to those records, that they're almost interchangeable and/or one in the same. A powerful version of Cowgirl would be an understatement as the extended jam seemed to go on for eternity - loud guitars wailing, ripping, and weaving throughout. The young couple in front of me (early 20's) were swept up in the passion of the moment as well - dancing, bobbing, yelling, and shaking their heads in astonishment - Neil was reaching everyone in attendance down to the core. And just when you thought the tune was over, it would restart for another jam...on and on. And if that wasn't enough, there was much more to come. After a brief interlude with Neil and band throwing out bags of organic seeds to the audience with an environmental message (which he actually apologized for stopping the show for), and followed by the tune Seed Justice, they ripped into the lengthy Like A Hurricane (also not played last week). Can't come up with enough superlatives to describe it - let's just say it was beyond epic. One of the new unrecorded new tunes played that has really grabbed over the last week or so is Peace Trail - a classic Neil tune by any definition. I hope it gets officially released one way or another, as it's classic Neil all the way and everyone in the world should have the opportunity to enjoy it. Last but not least - the anthemic Rockin' in the Free World. With additional lyrics not found on the original recording, the tune sounds as fresh and relevant as ever, and with a barrage of guitars, the message was loud and clear. After a few false endings and restarts with everyone loudly singing the chorus, the show finally came to a conclusion leaving everyone euphoric in it's wake.

As for Paul, not much to say as I left early in the set realizing it would be a near replica of last week. It would be similar to reading the lengthy Gone With the Wind twice in the same week. A classic yes, but not necessary in order to have an appreciation and understanding of it. There might have been a couple of setlist changes(?), but with his sterile backing band playing I can easily imagine how it all sounded in my mind...or I could simply listen to the studio recordings. In order to gather my wits, shake off some dust, and regain some strength for tonight's grand finale I happily opted out of there. Even the thought of seeing Neil joining him again couldn't stop me.

With an almost fully recharged battery, I'm ready for the grand finale of day three of weekend two. Really looking forward to The Who again, and though there might not be many (or any) changes in the set, their powerful performance as witnessed last week is an experience not to be missed. As for Roger Waters, also really looking forward to again. It will be a replica of last weeks setlist, but with so much sensory overload going on with the visuals on the giant screen, props, and special effects happening, there's still alot to be experienced that may have been missed or overlooked last week. Hanging by a thread in the desert, ready or not, here we go again........

Posted by: HankM ()
Date: October 16, 2016 21:02

Neil is a Legendary Musical God

Date: October 16, 2016 21:19

Neil is a Legendary Musical God

which is why last night when the first scopes went down I stayed and faithfully waited and watched and waited and waited when the scopers were gone but still I waited and watched and BOOM!!! Got paid with (part of) one more song
HankM
[www.periscope.tv]
Rockin in the Free World... it was worth it... but then the scopes were gone for the night, no encore... nothing but a lingering Neil Young jones to go with my Stones jones.

Here is a youtube of part of (hour 20 minutes) Neil's show of the first desert weekend

[www.youtube.com]

After the Gold Rush
Heart of Gold
Comes a Time
Mother Earth (Natural Anthem)
Out on the Weekend
Human Highway
Harvest Moon
Words (Between the Lines of Age)
Texas Rangers
Powderfinger
Down by the River
Welfare Mothers

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-16 21:28 by HankM.

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: October 16, 2016 21:35

Paul brought out Rianna?
What is this song?

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: October 16, 2016 21:42

Paul & Neil
Brilliant!

[www.youtube.com]

Date: October 16, 2016 21:59

aftergeography
Neil Young
2016-10-15
Empire Polo Club, Indio, California, USA
Desert Trip
w/ Promise Of The Real

01. After The Gold Rush
02. Heart Of Gold
03. Old Man
04. Long May You Run
05. Mother Earth (Natural Anthem)
06. Out On The Weekend
07. Comes A Time
08. Harvest Moon
09. Neighborhood
10. Show Me
11. Helpless
12. Words
13. Alabama
14. Powderfinger
15. Texas Rangers
16. Cowgirl In The Sand
17. Seed Justice
18. Like A Hurricane
19. Peace Trail
20. Rockin' In The Free World

21. A Day In The Life>Give Peace A Chance (guests with Paul McCartney)
22. Why Don't We Do It In The Road? (guests with Paul McCartney)

This is slightly misleading as Paul DID NOT join Neil and his band on stage during Neils set.
It was the other way around, Neil joined Paul onstage during Pauls set - just like last week.

Neils set finished with Rockin' In The Free World - no encore necessary.
He already gave it all he had, and filled his allotted time frame with everything he could.

Date: October 16, 2016 22:00

I am hesitant to say it, but it seems McCartney was the only one who seemed to grasp the opportunity which these two weekends offered. A chance to make it more special than juts another concert, a chance to bring other artist on stage to play and jam, a chance to play some pop up shows out at some hole-in-the wall. A chance to jam with some of the greatest artists in history

I skipped these desert concerts mainly because it was too far and too expensive for me and it turns out that I am OK with that because it seems I did not miss much which I have/can gotten/get else where earlier/later, but if it had turned out that all of these guys had done nightly jams I would be heart broken.

If there had been nightly jams where some of the greatest artist in history were up on stage and... well... you know.

Date: October 16, 2016 22:16

Neil Young played two intimate shows at the Fox Theater in Pomona in between his Desert Trip weekends, and while they may not have been 'pop-up' gigs at a hole in the wall, they were certainly unique and out of the norm.

As for super hero collaborations at Desert Trip, gotta give Paul credit for having Neil on stage with him. Dylan joining the Stones (or vice versa) would have been good, but other than that can't think of any scenario which might have been one for the ages and/or truly memorable or worthwhile. But who knows, lots of missed opportunities perhaps. Someone had previously mentioned the opportunity of a grand finale featuring all the bands on stage for a giant sing along ala We Are the World, and all I could envision was a stirring version of Kumbaya. winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-16 22:17 by Hairball.

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: October 16, 2016 22:21

I have the feeling that Dylan didn't want to join the Stones. He seems to be more comfortable now just sitting at the piano or standing at the mike. I don't know if he would play guitar and sing like he did 20 years ago with them. But that's obviously just my guess.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: October 16, 2016 23:32

Hairball
Neil Young played two intimate shows at the Fox Theater in Pomona in between his Desert Trip weekends, and while they may not have been 'pop-up' gigs at a hole in the wall, they were certainly unique and out of the norm.

As for super hero collaborations at Desert Trip, gotta give Paul credit for having Neil on stage with him. Dylan joining the Stones (or vice versa) would have been good, but other than that can't think of any scenario which might have been one for the ages and/or truly memorable or worthwhile. But who knows, lots of missed opportunities perhaps. Someone had previously mentioned the opportunity of a grand finale featuring all the bands on stage for a giant sing along ala We Are the World, and all I could envision was a stirring version of Kumbaya. winking smiley

Waters is playing Bridge School show this year. Could be good!

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: October 17, 2016 01:00

Hairball

Paul also gave a fantastic show on October 13th at Pappy & Harriet's Palace in Pioneertown Ca. In that show he also played songs not in his regular rotation:

1. Juniors Farm
2. Hi Hi Hi
3. Birthday
4. I Saw Her Standing There

BTW, the 22 songs he laid down in the very small club still surpassed the Stones 20.

Date: October 17, 2016 01:13

The Sicilian
Hairball

Paul also gave a fantastic show on October 13th at Pappy & Harriet's Palace in Pioneertown Ca. In that show he also played songs not in his regular rotation:

1. Juniors Farm
2. Hi Hi Hi
3. Birthday

BTW, the 22 songs he laid down in the very small club still surpassed the Stones 20.

Yes, my post was in response to HankM who stated Paul was the only one "who took the chance chance to play some pop up shows out at some hole-in-the wall".

As for Paul's show and setlists at Pappy and Harriets, or both Desert Trips, or wherever he's been playing for the last 10 years...yawn. eye rolling smiley
With that said, I know people love and enjoy Paul McCartney and his type of show, so am happy for all of those that do.
One things certain, even his best shows will never match the Rolling Stones LIVE.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: October 17, 2016 01:30

Hairball
The Sicilian
Hairball

1. Juniors Farm
2. Hi Hi Hi
3. Birthday

Yes, my post was in response to HankM who stated Paul was the only one "who took the chance chance to play some pop up shows out at some hole-in-the wall".

As for Paul's show and setlists at Pappy and Harriets, or both Desert Trips, or wherever he's been playing for the last 10 years...yawn. eye rolling smiley
With that said, I know people love and enjoy Paul McCartney and his type of show, so am happy for all of those that do.
One things certain, even his best shows will never match the Rolling Stones LIVE.

Two different genres of music. Paul has only himself to really express it from the Beatles point of view. Paul's songs were more hit related geared towards love and women. John was more the outcast experimenter.

That being said, hearing the same Stones setlist of only 18 to 20 songs is a big yawn nine songs in. Add to that, many don't sound nowhere as good as the original.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-17 01:32 by The Sicilian.

Posted by: Jeffer ()
Date: October 17, 2016 13:03

Original video.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Jeffer ()
Date: October 17, 2016 13:04

spikenyc
Paul brought out Rianna?
What is this song?

[www.youtube.com]

Original video.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: sundevil ()
Date: October 18, 2016 01:32

neil - not to be missed.

[www.youtube.com]

and let me add an F.U. to those who said the stones had a bad week-end.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: October 18, 2016 16:47

Paul's been playing Hi Hi Hi the last two tours. Saw him do it in Grand Rapids in August.

Posted by: dimtim ()
Date: October 18, 2016 19:00

I was able to attend the Neil show Oct 12 at The Fox in Pomona. The show was loud and angry with amazingly rockin guitar from him and Promise of the Real. Great small venue for him. Started with a half hour version of Like an Inca and finished with an encore of Roll Another Number and Piece of Crap (not sure who he was referring to but I can guess).

In between a great bluesy Cortez the Killer, I am a Child, Powderfinger, Cowgirl in the Sand. All the songs were great as he is really playing with a chip on his shoulder. Overall mostly loud rock and roll without much banter.

He is truly a rock n roll legend.

Date: October 18, 2016 19:13

dimtim
I was able to attend the Neil show Oct 12 at The Fox in Pomona. The show was loud and angry with amazingly rockin guitar from him and Promise of the Real. Great small venue for him. Started with a half hour version of Like an Inca and finished with an encore of Roll Another Number and Piece of Crap (not sure who he was referring to but I can guess).

In between a great bluesy Cortez the Killer, I am a Child, Powderfinger, Cowgirl in the Sand. All the songs were great as he is really playing with a chip on his shoulder. Overall mostly loud rock and roll without much banter.

He is truly a rock n roll legend.

Good stuff dimtim!
Perhaps we rubbed shoulders there either in line, or at the front rail of center stage?
The show was unique as there was no solo acoustic opening set as has been the case the last year or so (and at both Desert Trips).
That 30 minute opener of Like an Inca set the pace...it was pure bliss, and one of the most memorable moments I've ever experienced at a Neil show.
The entire show was one of the best I've ever experienced, but I could say that about alot of them.
Rock N Roll LEGEND indeed!thumbs up

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: October 19, 2016 00:09

Thought both Neil and Paul owned the weekend.

Both pretty much as good as they can be for 2016.

Saw Neil twice last year, as well as Paul in April.

These shows eclipsed any of those.

Absolutely electric.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: October 19, 2016 06:15

My friend just told me that Lucas & Micah, two of Willie Nelson's kids are in Promise Of The Real. I had no idea, but Neil's more fervent fans probably knew this.
That's kind of very cool. What with Zac Starkey being there the next night and all of that. A few of these OG music stars have kids really making their mark in important bands.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: October 19, 2016 10:03

I listened to tape of the first Pomona show yesterday. Awesome! & the quality is stunning.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2162
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home