Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
OT: Roger Waters "Us & Them" tour
Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: October 13, 2016 15:45

this is probably going to be a good one!

[www.rollingstone.com]

Re: OT: Roger Waters "Us & Them" tour
Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: October 13, 2016 16:09

I am very disappointed with Roger. The fact he was using pre-recorded vocals on his last tour, and had someone else singing Fearless, which was a Gilmour song... Just seems like he is coasting. And if he can't sing the songs, what's the point. Compared to seeing Gilmour live, he sounded amazing! Played incredibly and sang better than he did in the 70s (where he was often out of tune).

Date: October 13, 2016 16:14

from the footage i've seen, he blew away everyone at desert trip with the possible exception of the who. pigs was incredible. probably about a tie, IMHO. everyone had their moments. it will be interesting to see what happens this weekend.

Date: October 13, 2016 16:23

yeah but he is using pre-recorded vocals! How is that blowing away everyone else? Not in my book, live is live, warts and all, stop the bs of pre-recorded vocals. Or hang it up.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: October 13, 2016 16:26

whitem8
yeah but he is using pre-recorded vocals! How is that blowing away everyone else? Not in my book, live is live, warts and all, stop the bs of pre-recorded vocals. Or hang it up.
He's used them in the past but its been sparing. So we've all tried to give him a pass. I know he used it on The Pros And Cons Of Hitchhiking on the 1999-2001 tour. Then he used it on Have A Cigar on the Dark Side 2006-7 tour (and The Gunners Dream early on where he got totally busted with it). Then occasionally on the Wall tour but I don't know what songs. Its always annoyed me, but it always comes down to its not that much and I would like to hear those songs. If he's still using it and its on more stuff now, that would make me upset.

Date: October 13, 2016 16:28

whitem8

maybe on the wall. it didn't seem that way on the clips.+ he has the group lucius singing with him. they are very talented. bv & hairball wrote pretty glowing reviews. i'm going. the wall was 1 of the best shows i've ever seen just for a total immersive experience. & i saw the original. the new version topped it. it was totally stunning.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: October 13, 2016 16:30

Roger seems to do exclusively PF-songs on the upcoming tour. What a huge disappointment. After he cashed up for years with the "Wall"-show he´s obviously delivering "PF´s greatest hit revue" now. Funnily in the mid-80s he said "PF are done". Now he´s coming up with an all-PF-setlist. Must be the money that changed his mind. Why not a PF-reunion? Would even generate more MONEY. He could make a stash then and buy a Lear-jet or a football-team...

Date: October 13, 2016 16:30

From what I have read and from friends who went, he used a lot of pre-recorded vocals for The Wall tour. I can stay home and smoke down and listen to the Wall on my stereo and not spend 100s of dollars. That stuff if just silly to me.

Date: October 13, 2016 16:33

HMS
Roger seems to do exclusively PF-songs on the upcoming tour. What a huge disappointment. After he cashed up for years with the "Wall"-show he´s obviously delivering "PF´s greatest hit revue" now. Funnily in the mid-80s he said "PF are done". Now he´s coming up with an all-PF-setlist. Must be the money that changed his mind. Why not a PF-reunion? Would even generate more MONEY. He could make a stash then and buy a Lear-jet or a football-team...

according to the article in my first post the new tour is going to be 25% new material & its all going to be thematically connected. sounds like he has some sort of grand vision. he is pretty unique in that respect. i look forward to the new material & what he comes up with.

Date: October 13, 2016 16:42

Ok, fair enough, I didn't read the article. If there is new stuff and he is really singing, then I am in.

Date: October 13, 2016 16:43

whitem8
Ok, fair enough, I didn't read the article. If there is new stuff and he is really singing, then I am in.

smileys with beer

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: October 13, 2016 16:57

Waters relied HEAVILY on pre-recorded vocals on The Wall tour. I was shocked by how much lip-syncing he did when I saw him in 2012. The show was a fantastically-staged spectacle, but the piped in vocals left a bad taste in my mouth.

Seems like Roger is cashing in on Pink Floyd nostalgia for all its worth.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: October 13, 2016 17:04

So where is his first new album since 1992 ? Everyone now and then over the past 15 years he says he's working on it, including last year I think. For someone who couldn't say enough bad things about the other three's lack of creativity this is a bit rich...

As for pre-recorded vocals it was indeed pretty terrible during the The Wall tour, totally obvious on songs like The Trial. I looked closely at the Desert Trip footage and it seems to have been toned down although there's no chance he's singing alone as his voice's been pretty much shot since 1987's Radio Kaos.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: October 13, 2016 17:19

I have seen Roger Waters many times over the years in both solo tours and when he was with the original Pink Floyd(Animals tour/Wall NYC). Also, I have seen Gilmour both with the original Floyd, Floyd without Waters and solo tours starting with the About Face album in 1984.

Roger is definitely lip syncing and it is disturbing but the visuals incorporated into his show blow everyone away. I agree he has run Pink Floyd to the limit with his solo tours of DSM & Wall. Some of his solo stuff is not so good even depressing to listen to.

Gilmour still has a voice at least he was in great form in Europe and he still has several Floyd songs as part of his show.

So, they are both great individual performers but would be spectacular to see together again. Although it would never be the same without Rick Wright.

We should just be thankful we get to see their shows. It wont be long before they hang it up altogether!

Date: October 13, 2016 17:53

I agree that after Dark Side and Wall tours, the only thing that would really pique my Waters interest would be if he was touring with Gilmour. At this point he's played MOST of the famous stuff for years and not billing it as Pink Floyd but touring as Rogers and Gilmour would at least be something new. They even use a lot of the same guys on their solo tours (at least Jon Carin) so its not even like it would be that hard to mesh. It would provide some much needed authenticity to the material and just seeing the two of them would be magic enough. They seem fine with each other again, I have no idea why they don't do more stuff together, even just press for Floyd stuff.

Date: October 13, 2016 18:03

I think they are fine with each other, but playing on a tour with each other is another story. I do not think Gilmour could stand to be playing every night an entire show with Waters. It'll never happen.

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: October 13, 2016 18:07

I love RogerW, always have... Depressing songs and all. I'd love to see a show, but all this talk of recorded vocals and actually lip-syncing... Really??? That is just not ok, no matter how spectacular the visuals are or whatever. Re-arrange the songs, change the key if you have to, but bloody hell, it's a concert, so sing your songs! And hey, if you absolutely can't pull it off on stage, then DON'T PLAY IT. If I were to go see RogerW, I'd want to hear his lovely voice, no matter how it has aged. I'd want to hear new songs, PF songs, solo songs from the past, etc.

Date: October 13, 2016 18:07

RollingFreak
They seem fine with each other again, I have no idea why they don't do more stuff together, even just press for Floyd stuff.

I guess it´s because Roger wants to do gigantic stadiums only for the most money he can get while David likes to play in a more intimate setting. And he also wants to do his own material, not just a "PF´s greatest hits-show".

Date: October 13, 2016 18:11

More intimate settings? Gilmour just did a limited tour in the US where he played large venues. I saw him in Chicago at The United Center, 20,000 people. Not so small. Dude you're really hitting them out of the park today.

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: October 13, 2016 18:14

HMS
RollingFreak
They seem fine with each other again, I have no idea why they don't do more stuff together, even just press for Floyd stuff.

I guess it´s because Roger wants to do gigantic stadiums only for the most money he can get while David likes to play in a more intimate setting. And he also wants to do his own material, not just a "PF´s greatest hits-show".

This tour is all arenas, no "giant stadiums"

Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: October 13, 2016 18:14

Guys, the hang up here isn't Roger, it's David. If David wanted to do something, Roger would be game. It's not a money thing either.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: October 13, 2016 18:47

Why not a PF-reunion? Would even generate more MONEY. He could make a stash then and buy a Lear-jet or a football-team Maybe because Rick Wright (keyboards) passed away ?

Date: October 13, 2016 18:50

I hope he busts out some "Amused to Death". I play that record a lot. Very timely still.

Date: October 13, 2016 19:21

TheGreek
Maybe because Rick Wright (keyboards) passed away ?

Keith Moon & John Entwistle passed away and Townshend/Daltrey think they are still THE WHO. PF could reunite anytime, they´d have Mason/Waters/Gilmour.
But Gilmour recently said in an interview that for him PF is a closed chapter.

Gilmour probably knows that he and Roger wouldn´t get along and at his age he´s simply not interested in starting same old troubles again. He is doing very well on his own.

Date: October 13, 2016 19:55

I know they'll never get back together, and thats ok with me. They have reconciled and thats really all I care about. Just saying I think thats the only thing that could get me out to see Waters again.

I'm completely find with our Floyd reunion at Live 8, this other reunion video (so lovingly and perfectly put together) and their performance at a charity event in 2010 which gives me chills. David plays so @#$%& perfectly.

Reunion video - [www.youtube.com]

Charity 2010 - [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 13, 2016 20:01

whitem8
From what I have read and from friends who went, he used a lot of pre-recorded vocals for The Wall tour. I can stay home and smoke down and listen to the Wall on my stereo and not spend 100s of dollars. That stuff if just silly to me.

He used recorded vocals.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 13, 2016 20:07

All vocals that aren't live are recorded. In this case in a recording studio. Just like for an album. The "ed" in recorded means past tense. Which means the live show is probably recorded: they mime to a studio recording.

Previously-recorded vocals? If that's the case then all studio and live albums have previously recorded vocals.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 13, 2016 20:15

whitem8

Yes he is singing 99.9% live this time (I've read there's some pre-recorded backup vocals low in the mix on a couple tunes, but I didn't notice any live).

And yes, according to his statement there will be 25% new material, which is fine because many of the Pink Floyd segments from the Desert Trip shows will still be intact which are 100% mind-boggling from a visual perspective, and pretty damn good from a musical perspective.

US+Them

Roger Waters - Us + Them
Roger Waters will return to North America in 2017 with a pioneering new tour, US + Them. Tickets go on sale Friday, October 21.

"We are going to take a new show on the road, the content is very secret," said Roger Waters. "It'll be a mixture of stuff from my long career, stuff from my years with Pink Floyd, some new things. Probably 75% of it will be old material and 25% will be new, but it will be all connected by a general theme. It will be a cool show, I promise you. It'll be spectacular like all my shows have been.”

Roger Waters' legendary live performances are renowned as immersive sensory experiences featuring high class, state-of-the-art audio visual production and breathtaking quad sound. This new tour promises to be no exception; following months of meticulous planning and visionary craft, US + Them will inspire crowds with its powerful delivery and take the audience on an unforgettable musical journey.

VIP package sales and Citi presale tickets will begin on Monday, October 17. Citi is the official credit card of the Roger Waters – Us + Them 2017 tour. Citi cardmembers will have access to presale tickets for US dates only beginning on Monday, October 17 at 10am local time through Citi’s Private Pass Program. For complete Citi presale details visit www.citiprivatepass.com.

Date: October 13, 2016 20:25

How do you know he is singing 99 % live? the tour hasn't even started???

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 13, 2016 20:53

whitem8
How do you know he is singing 99 % live? the tour hasn't even started???

Haha I was referring to the Desert Trip show (I was there) and the three others he just played in Mexico.
Watch any of the videos scattered all around youtube and see/hear for yourself. Granted, he's not the greatest vocalist live to begin with, but you gotta give him credit for trying his best.
And on various Pink Floyd fan sites, even the most cynical diehards are applauding his use of live vocals.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1545
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home