Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 6 of 8
Re: OT: Bob Dylan wins Nobel Prize in literature
Posted by: JimmyTheSaint ()
Date: October 17, 2016 00:55

Bob is certainly the most interesting man in music/show business.

His lyrical prowess in indisputable.

He has commonly referred to himself as a "song & dance" man. I don't think he gets enough credit for the music he has created to support his words.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: October 22, 2016 00:33

Well, ....they still haven't heard from him. The academy has given up on him. They don't expect him to accept the prize any longer. Or show up at the ceremony.
Per Westberg (member of the Swedish Academy, chair 12) called Dylan arrogant and impolite today in Swedish media. Which is unheard of in these circles.

Posted by: stone66 ()
Date: October 22, 2016 00:39

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: October 22, 2016 00:54

Stoneage
Well, ....they still haven't heard from him. The academy has given up on him. They don't expect him to accept the prize any longer. Or show up at the ceremony.
Per Westberg (member of the Swedish Academy, chair 12) called Dylan arrogant and impolite today in Swedish media. Which is unheard of in these circles.

Going to Sweden to pick up a silly award. The whole Nobel Prize concept has been outdated for the last many years. Nobel Peace and Literature price is not worth the name and hustle anymore!! It is like getting a silly reward from the Monarchy.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: October 22, 2016 00:56

Somehow this is exactly the response I'd have expected from Dylan. grinning smiley

Reminds me of his performance at the White House:

Rolling Stone: You had Bob Dylan here. How did that go?

Obama: Here's what I love about Dylan: He was exactly as you'd expect he would be. He wouldn't come to the rehearsal; usually, all these guys are practicing before the set in the evening. He didn't want to take a picture with me; usually all the talent is dying to take a picture with me and Michelle before the show, but he didn't show up to that. He came in and played "The Times They Are A-Changin'." A beautiful rendition. The guy is so steeped in this stuff that he can just come up with some new arrangement, and the song sounds completely different. Finishes the song, steps off the stage — I'm sitting right in the front row — comes up, shakes my hand, sort of tips his head, gives me just a little grin, and then leaves. And that was it — then he left. That was our only interaction with him. And I thought: That's how you want Bob Dylan, right? You don't want him to be all cheesin' and grinnin' with you. You want him to be a little skeptical about the whole enterprise. So that was a real treat.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/obama-in-command-br-the-rolling-stone-interview-20100928

Date: October 22, 2016 01:12

Yes, I tend to agree. What were they expecting when they gave the prize to him? In a way it's the academy that's losing face here. More so than Dylan.
Dylan doesn't need this prize. Or even the prize money. He doesn't give a shit. Like always.

Posted by: JimmyTheSaint ()
Date: October 22, 2016 01:23

He's dined with Kings, he's been offered wings, but he's never been too impressed.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: October 22, 2016 05:53

Dylan deliberately rejected the trappings of fame a long time ago, so I wouldn't expect him to change now.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 22, 2016 07:49

THE AUSTRALIAN - 18 October 2016

ROCKMAN

Date: October 22, 2016 07:51

THE AUSTRALIAN - 18 October 2016

ROCKMAN

Date: October 22, 2016 08:25

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: October 22, 2016 08:49

Aquamarine
Somehow this is exactly the response I'd have expected from Dylan. grinning smiley

Reminds me of his performance at the White House:

Rolling Stone: You had Bob Dylan here. How did that go?

Obama: Here's what I love about Dylan: He was exactly as you'd expect he would be. He wouldn't come to the rehearsal; usually, all these guys are practicing before the set in the evening. He didn't want to take a picture with me; usually all the talent is dying to take a picture with me and Michelle before the show, but he didn't show up to that. He came in and played "The Times They Are A-Changin'." A beautiful rendition. The guy is so steeped in this stuff that he can just come up with some new arrangement, and the song sounds completely different. Finishes the song, steps off the stage — I'm sitting right in the front row — comes up, shakes my hand, sort of tips his head, gives me just a little grin, and then leaves. And that was it — then he left. That was our only interaction with him. And I thought: That's how you want Bob Dylan, right? You don't want him to be all cheesin' and grinnin' with you. You want him to be a little skeptical about the whole enterprise. So that was a real treat.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/obama-in-command-br-the-rolling-stone-interview-20100928

Yes! smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: October 22, 2016 15:39

Stuck Inside of Mobile with the Memphis Blues Again is pure genius.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: October 22, 2016 21:14

Maybe the Nobel people should look into revising their procedures.
In the UK potential recipients of Honours (Queen's or New Year) are privately checked out before hand to see if they will accept.
Many people, show biz celebs and "ordinary people" reject the offer. That then is the end of the matter.
Anyway, grumpy old Bob loves to play games. He may well turn up.Or send son Jakob along to accept on his behalf.

Posted by: parislocksmith ()
Date: October 23, 2016 20:26

Just a comment from a Swedish literature prof and part-time ceiling inspector: Per Wastberg did not really call Dylan "impolite and arrogant." That is a sound bite quoted out of context. What he originally said was rather that Dylan's behavior "may be considered (by some people) impolite and arrogant" but that "he (B.D.) is who he is." And that if Dylan choses to come to Stockholm in December "he is welcome, if not we will make some other arrangements." To counter this very mild reaction from one of its own members, the Swedish Academy last night issued a formal statement saying that a recipient of the Nobel prize in literature has no formal obligations whatsoever toward the Academy. The Permanent Secretary added later that she had been in touch with a close associate of Dylan's, and that she "was not worried in the least" by Dylan's silence.

Date: October 24, 2016 00:04

As far as I know the actual quote is, (my translation): " One can say that it's impolite and arrogant. He is who he is." My guess is that this is a personal thing for Sara Danius.
She seems to be an ardent Dylan fan. And prestige of course, as always in these circles. And I don't think Per Westberg voted for Dylan. He's a bit to old for that (83 in a month).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-24 00:08 by Stoneage.

Posted by: parislocksmith ()
Date: October 24, 2016 00:34

I'm quoting from this page. My speculation would be that Klas Östergren was the driving force behind the prize this year.

Date: October 24, 2016 00:50

That's the same site I quoted, PLS. Maybe you're right about Klas Östergren.

Date: October 24, 2016 07:15

ROCKMAN

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: October 24, 2016 16:20

Stoneage
As far as I know the actual quote is, (my translation): " One can say that it's impolite and arrogant. He is who he is." My guess is that this is a personal thing for Sara Danius.
She seems to be an ardent Dylan fan. And prestige of course, as always in these circles. And I don't think Per Westberg voted for Dylan. He's a bit to old for that (83 in a month).

Are you implying that Mr Westberg is ageist? (Dylan at 75 is hardly young).
For an 83 year old its a bit rich!

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: October 27, 2016 01:26

Date: October 27, 2016 06:18

I saw him in concert last night. He didn't mention the prize--as usual, he didn't mention anything!

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: October 27, 2016 07:19

I saw Bob also in Baton Rouge tonight. As usual, not even 2 words in between songs. But - it actually was one of the better Dylan shows I've seen in awhile. He doesn't rock out like he used to, but his voice was much better than its been of late, and he was animated and seemed really engaged (by Bob standards). A 2,000 seat pretty much sold out theater, very appreciative crowd-many there no doubt in part to the recent Nobel Prize news. Glad I saw him again - after being a bit burned out a couple years ago. Some older tunes back in the mix again also helped.

Date: October 27, 2016 09:39

DEmerson
I saw Bob also in Baton Rouge tonight. As usual, not even 2 words in between songs. But - it actually was one of the better Dylan shows I've seen in awhile. He doesn't rock out like he used to, but his voice was much better than its been of late, and he was animated and seemed really engaged (by Bob standards). A 2,000 seat pretty much sold out theater, very appreciative crowd-many there no doubt in part to the recent Nobel Prize news. Glad I saw him again - after being a bit burned out a couple years ago. Some older tunes back in the mix again also helped.

Ha, you must live near me!

I thought it was better than the last couple of times I saw him, too. We even got a couple of guitar songs, which was cool.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: October 27, 2016 10:30

Bob Dylan Celebrated His Nobel Prize By Playing Guitar For The First Time In 4 Years

[www.stereogum.com]

So glad to hear y'all saw him last night and enjoyed it!
He's did 100 gigs all over the world last year, including two in Stockholm.
He's a few weeks away from a 100 gigs this year. Man on a mission.
Above clip from the first gig after the prize was announced, the evening of the same day, along with the story.
The night before Desert Trip 2 performance where the Stones debuted the second blues number.
Dylan at 75 standing there that night all bare chest under his suit jacket, that was a performance to remember.

Posted by: andrea66 ()
Date: October 27, 2016 13:30

I am sure that he answered more quickly for the check from Victoria Secrets, for the private concert for one milionaire-only or for the 7 milions for the Desert Trip .
I don't care if he will go or not , I think that the Prize is deserved but I also think that Dylan acts like a cliché of himself

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 28, 2016 04:42

THIS says enough:

To be a Nobel laureate, however, is to allow “people” to define who one is, to become an object and a public figure rather than a free individual. The Nobel Prize is in fact the ultimate example of bad faith: A small group of Swedish critics pretend to be the voice of God, and the public pretends that the Nobel winner is Literature incarnate. All this pretending is the opposite of the true spirit of literature, which lives only in personal encounters between reader and writer. Mr. Dylan may yet accept the prize, but so far, his refusal to accept the authority of the Swedish Academy has been a wonderful demonstration of what real artistic and philosophical freedom looks like.

[www.nytimes.com]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 28, 2016 20:23

GasLightStreet
THIS says enough:

To be a Nobel laureate, however, is to allow “people” to define who one is, to become an object and a public figure rather than a free individual. The Nobel Prize is in fact the ultimate example of bad faith: A small group of Swedish critics pretend to be the voice of God, and the public pretends that the Nobel winner is Literature incarnate. All this pretending is the opposite of the true spirit of literature, which lives only in personal encounters between reader and writer. Mr. Dylan may yet accept the prize, but so far, his refusal to accept the authority of the Swedish Academy has been a wonderful demonstration of what real artistic and philosophical freedom looks like.

[www.nytimes.com]

Bob may 'have to serve somebody...it may be the devil or it may be the Lord', but it's certainly not going to be

"A small group of Swedish critics pretending to be the voice of God..."

winking smiley

Date: October 28, 2016 21:11

Bob will handle this the way he sees fit. What else would he do? smiling smiley

Date: October 28, 2016 23:06

eeeeerrrr maybe go work on Maggie's farm ?

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 6 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2005
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home