Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: Paul McCartney and Neil Young Desert Trip Saturday 08-Oct-2016 live show updates
Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: October 11, 2016 21:05

^ The funny thing about Paul is that he is a great songwriter but lousy storyteller.

I believe he says the same things at every gig, and everything is dripping in bathos. You wait for a mind-blowing anecdote about Jimi or John, and all he says is that they were great guys. On Saturday he talked about Jimi's guitar being out of tune at some gig attended by Eric - and the story just went nowhere. He can drop names like a Vanity Fair writer, but can't do anything with them.

Contrast with Townshend, who is hilarious - and on Sunday he called Keith Moon a w@nker, and laughed about Entwistle's death. His comment about Bowie babysitting his younger brother was more interesting than anything that Paul said.

I hope the Stones bring out Ringo (or Yoko!) - that would be a great FU.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-11 21:06 by DeanGoodman.

Re: Paul McCartney and Neil Young Desert Trip Saturday 08-Oct-2016 live show updates
Date: October 11, 2016 21:09

Pete is hilarious and he added "I don't mind speaking ill of the dead, they can't answer back"!

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: October 12, 2016 02:09

Paul is frigging broken record. He says the same story about him and George when he brings that Uke out

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: October 12, 2016 02:27

DandelionPowderman
jumpingjackflash5
Macca's voice is weaker now but he works hard. Still amazing to watch!

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Seems difficult to sing out there in the desert, but Paul sure gives all he got thumbs up

It's probably still easier than singing in the Telenor >grinning smiley<

Posted by: jimpietryga1 ()
Date: October 12, 2016 04:07

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 12, 2016 04:23

Alone with acoustic guitar in front of apprx. 100,000 people

Neil Young - Heart of Gold

edit: anyone know the actual number in attendance?
I've heard estimates between 75,000 and 100,000...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-12 04:25 by Hairball.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: October 12, 2016 04:31

Nice shots Jim! --Tom

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: October 12, 2016 16:26

I have seen McCartney a lot these last ten years, and it is true he is still telling the same stories exactly the same. It is a bit of a bummer. . . and he even commented on this recently in an interview. But hell, at least he is still putting on good concerts with great set lists.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: October 12, 2016 21:38

Great, thanks

Hairball
Alone with acoustic guitar in front of apprx. 100,000 people

Neil Young - Heart of Gold

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-12 21:41 by powerage78.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: October 13, 2016 00:10

Jim P, awesome photos.

Were you in the front of the pit or where, for just Sat. or Fri too?

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: Long John Stoner ()
Date: October 13, 2016 15:51

DeanGoodman
^ The funny thing about Paul is that he is a great songwriter but lousy storyteller.

I believe he says the same things at every gig, and everything is dripping in bathos. You wait for a mind-blowing anecdote about Jimi or John, and all he says is that they were great guys. On Saturday he talked about Jimi's guitar being out of tune at some gig attended by Eric - and the story just went nowhere. He can drop names like a Vanity Fair writer, but can't do anything with them.

Contrast with Townshend, who is hilarious - and on Sunday he called Keith Moon a w@nker, and laughed about Entwistle's death. His comment about Bowie babysitting his younger brother was more interesting than anything that Paul said.

As I'm sure you know- not possible. Ringo is scheduled to do shows in Washington state this weekend. Yoko is busy with her Iceland project and at age 83, finally past any urge to "get back" at Paul.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: October 13, 2016 22:28

Paul and Neil.
[youtu.be]

Date: October 14, 2016 00:35

Long John Stoner
DeanGoodman

As I'm sure you know- not possible. Ringo is scheduled to do shows in Washington state this weekend. Yoko is busy with her Iceland project and at age 83, finally past any urge to "get back" at Paul.

Ringo Shmingo... winking smiley

As I've never bothered to see him live, it would be great if he made an appearance very much.
With that said, I don't think he could help the overall monotony of Paul's set.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: October 14, 2016 00:57

Paul to play a club show near Joshua Tree tonight - Thursday. The club is a 300
capacity but more if the outside stage is used. Must purchase tickets at the club. See Paul's website for further details.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: October 14, 2016 02:42

Am in the area and would have loved to have gotten in on the McCartney club gig no doubt.. Jumping on it now would be futile..

But, I do.. have a Lisa Fischer ticket for tonight and am looking forward to it!
Saw Neil last night at small venue and it was killer..

Congrats to anyone lucky enough to be going to Macca tonight.. should be amazing!!

Date: April 1, 2017 18:51

Hairball
Long John Stoner
DeanGoodman

As I've never bothered to see him live, it would be great if he made an appearance very much.

I'll tell ya what's monotonous- pointless bashing of McCartney.

Date: April 1, 2017 20:08

Long John Stoner
Hairball
Long John Stoner
DeanGoodman

Lol...great to see this old thread again and your delayed reply...."pointless bashing"?
I've stated on record here several times that the Beatles are my all time favorite #1 band.
What might seem a 'pointless bash' to you, is actually steeped in knowledge, experience, peace, love, and understanding. smiling smiley
To sum up and condense my previous review earlier in this thread (Oct. 9), Paul was the weakest link at Desert Trip - both weekends.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-01 20:09 by Hairball.

Date: April 1, 2017 23:08

Hairball
Long John Stoner
Hairball
Long John Stoner
DeanGoodman

Lol...great to see this old thread again and your delayed reply...."pointless bashing"?
I've stated on record here several times that the Beatles are my all time favorite #1 band.
What might seem a 'pointless bash' to you, is actually steeped in knowledge, experience, peace, love, and understanding. smiling smiley
To sum up and condense my previous review earlier in this thread (Oct. 9), Paul was the weakest link at Desert Trip - both weekends.

How would you know? You didn't stay.

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: April 1, 2017 23:51

Hairball
Long John Stoner
Hairball
Long John Stoner
DeanGoodman

Really I thought Dylan and the Stones (gasp) weren't all that stellar on the first weekend...2nd weekend the Stones were much better.

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Date: April 2, 2017 01:38

Long John Stoner
Hairball
Long John Stoner
Hairball
Long John Stoner
DeanGoodman

How would you know? You didn't stay.

Were you at either of the Desert Trip shows?

I did stay and endure the entire set for weekend one (yawn). I left early during his set for weekend two not willing to experience another snoozer knowing it would be anticlimactic (and that he was indeed the weakest link).
Did a little digging, and here's part of what I wrote for Pauls set weekend two:

"As for Paul, not much to say as I left early in the set realizing it would be a near replica of last week. It would be similar to reading the lengthy Gone With the Wind twice in the same week. A classic yes, but not necessary in order to have an appreciation and understanding of it. There might have been a couple of setlist changes(?), but with his sterile backing band playing I can easily imagine how it all sounded in my mind...or I could simply listen to the studio recordings. In order to gather my wits, shake off some dust, and regain some strength for tonight's grand finale (The Who/Roger Waters) I happily opted out of there. Even the thought of seeing Neil joining him again couldn't stop me.".

Friends of mine said it was nearly the exact same monotony as weekend one, and after reading other reviews I know I didn't miss anything that I hadn't seen and heard before.
To sum it up - glad I left...Paul was the weakest link.

rattler2004
Really I thought Dylan and the Stones (gasp) weren't all that stellar on the first weekend...2nd weekend the Stones were much better.

I thought Dylan was pretty much the same both weekends - some liked it while others didn't. I happened to think he was great both weekends. As for the Stones, yes they were much better for weekend two and the setlist was excellent by todays standards. Anytime you have Get Off of My Cloud, Sweet Virginia, Live With Me, Paint It Black, and Midnight Rambler on the same setlist, it's bound to be a memorable show.

edit: Full setlist here: Rolling Stones - Desert Trip (weekend two)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-02 01:59 by Hairball.

Date: April 2, 2017 06:14

Merely your opinion. He's getting older, no doubt and his voice isn't anything like it was even five years ago. However, anyone who champions a set list by a group of 70 year old plus musicians that hasn't essentially changed since 1972 is a full blown hypocrite.

Date: April 2, 2017 07:53

Long John Stoner
Merely your opinion. He's getting older, no doubt and his voice isn't anything like it was even five years ago. However, anyone who champions a set list by a group of 70 year old plus musicians that hasn't essentially changed since 1972 is a full blown hypocrite.

Yes indeed merely my opinion and I never claimed otherwise.
However, praising a Stones show over a Paul McCartney show should in no way be seen as hypocritical - the Stones are way more exciting live than Paul imo, but perhaps you think otherwise. I simply said "the setlist was excellent by todays standards" - in other words it was a notch above the typical warhorse setlist that has become the norm for most of their shows in recent tours. And for you to say the Stones haven't 'essentially changed since 1972" is merely your opinion, and I can respect that even though I don't agree with it at all.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1961
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home