Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Paul McCartney and Neil Young Desert Trip Saturday 08-Oct-2016 live show updates
Posted by: bv ()
Date: October 9, 2016 20:51

Saturday went really busy, as I slept until 10am due to the late Stones show the day before, then working hard to catch up with daily work, then back on the shuttle out to the Coachella site by 5pm. I knew I was running late, but luckily traffic was easy so I was there by 5:30pm and close by the stage at 6pm.

Security was totally different today vs the day before with the Stones. They moved in tons of extra security people, barriers, secondary checkpoints and so on. Last night with the Stones I noticed people just messed around all over the sections, with very little security control block wise. I guess they are not used to these big differences in categories and price levels at the ordinary Coachella festival during the spring.

NEIL YOUNG (6:40pm - 8:30pm):

Neil Young was on at 6:40pm. I have never seen Neil Young live, as the Stones have eaten up all my capacity usually, being back home I don't normally go to a big act unless it is somebody I like a lot. At first Neil did some acoustic on his own. Number two was "Heart Of Gold", taken from the only Neil Young album I have got - Harvest. "Mother Earth" was so strong, and I was thinking I must get some more of his albums. As he went more electric with his band, we got a very long almost 20 minutes version of "Down by the River". It was monumental, electric, amazing, almost an anthem like "Knocking" or "Rambler" by the Stones or Comfortably Numb by Floyd/Waters/Gilmour. Lots of great guitar playing an improvisation.

I was expecting a lot of talking from Neil, as I had the impression he is an artist with a political message, but he did not say much. He said at times "How are you doing out there?" as I suppose they don't see us, it is just a large, large crowd, and it is hard to communicate with 90,000 people out there in the dark, without shouting or getting a sing-a-long. He said "you gotta stand up for your rights". Then he said "Tomorrow we will be back because Roger will build a wall and make Mexico great again."

As the show finished Neil said "We only have 40 seconds left. We gonna play a 40 seconds version of "Rocking In A Free World". Well it lasted for 7 minutes, it was great, and by the time of 8:30 sharp Neil Young left the stage. I loved the show, and may be I will be able to see him at a smaller setting some day, he is a great performer.

PAUL McCARTNEY (9:45pm - 12:20am):

I have never seen Paul McCartney live, except for the few songs he did at the 121212 show at the Madison Square Garden show December 12, 2012. Finally I would get a complete show. On my wish list I had "The Long And Winding Road", one of my favorites, taken from the "Let It Be" album. I own all post-Revolver Beatles albums, and I have played them a lot over the years. Unfortunately he never played that favorite Beatles song of mine. May be he never perform it live, as it is sort of a goodbye song to the Beatles I think.

At 9:20pm they started to play a lot of Beatles style music, covers, real stuff, similar, some thought Paul was on, and the fans flooded from the packed catering areas into their seats and to the other sections. By 9:45pm Paul was on. He did a bunch of songs, tributes to Paul and George, to Jimi Hendrix, and he stayed on the stage until 20 minutes past midnight, a performance that lasted for 2 hours 35 minutes. I felt he rushed some songs, to get more songs into the set, in fact many older Beatles songs are short, less than two minutes, but in general he did some great stuff, on the bass, on the guitar, on keyboards, and on the ukulele, even with a swap from an ukulele out of tune into another ukule in tune, with a retake of the song.

At midnight he did "I Wanna Be Your Man". He said "Yesterday The Stones played one of the Beatles songs so now we are going to play one of their songs." Well it was the song the Beatles gave to the Stones... At 20 minutes past midnight it was all over. I had got a great version of "Carry That Weight", from Abbey Road, I had got "Hey Jude", and a bunch of other Beatles and McCartney songs, a Hendrix cover, "Something" - a Harrison cover, bits from my otrher favorite album "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band", and lots more. Now I know why Paul is so popular, he has got the same as the Stones, many many loyal fans who love his songs and his performances. If I had more time, then I might go to more of his shows, probably in a non-festival setting where all the hazzle to get in & out isn't there.

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-09 21:00 by bv.

Re: Paul McCartney and Neil Young Desert Trip Saturday 08-Oct-2016 live show updates
Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: October 9, 2016 21:07

Thanks for your review, BV. This must be the only time when you can watch The Stones, Dylan, Macca, Neil Young, The Who and Roger Waters perform at the same festival!

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: October 9, 2016 21:14

Yes, thanks Bjornulf. Your story reminded me about how I had tickets to see Neil Young near my home. But then I decided I couldn't live without seeing the Stomes in Newark, NJ. The Stones ticket was so expensive, I decided to sell my tickets to Neil Young to try to make up some of the difference. I'd still love to see him someday.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: October 9, 2016 21:15

bv
Saturday went really busy, as I slept until 10am due to the late Stones show the day before, then working hard to catch up with daily work, then back on the shuttle out to the Coachella site by 5pm. I knew I was running late, but luckily traffic was easy so I was there by 5:30pm and close by the stage at 6pm.

Security was totally different today vs the day before with the Stones. They moved in tons of extra security people, barriers, secondary checkpoints and so on. Last night with the Stones I noticed people just messed around all over the sections, with very little security control block wise. I guess they are not used to these big differences in categories and price levels at the ordinary Coachella festival during the spring.

NEIL YOUNG (6:40pm - 8:30pm):

Neil Young was on at 6:40pm. I have never seen Neil Young live, as the Stones have eaten up all my capacity usually, being back home I don't normally go to a big act unless it is somebody I like a lot. At first Neil did some acoustic on his own. Number two was "Heart Of Gold", taken from the only Neil Young album I have got - Harvest. "Mother Earth" was so strong, and I was thinking I must get some more of his albums. As he went more electric with his band, we got a very long almost 20 minutes version of "Down by the River". It was monumental, electric, amazing, almost an anthem like "Knocking" or "Rambler" by the Stones or Comfortably Numb by Floyd/Waters/Gilmour. Lots of great guitar playing an improvisation.

I was expecting a lot of talking from Neil, as I had the impression he is an artist with a political message, but he did not say much. He said at times "How are you doing out there?" as I suppose they don't see us, it is just a large, large crowd, and it is hard to communicate with 90,000 people out there in the dark, without shouting or getting a sing-a-long. He said "you gotta stand up for your rights". Then he said "Tomorrow we will be back because Roger will build a wall and make Mexico great again."

As the show finished Neil said "We only have 40 seconds left. We gonna play a 40 seconds version of "Rocking In A Free World". Well it lasted for 7 minutes, it was great, and by the time of 8:30 sharp Neil Young left the stage. I loved the show, and may be I will be able to see him at a smaller setting some day, he is a great performer.

PAUL McCARTNEY (9:45pm - 12:20am):

I have never seen Paul McCartney live, except for the few songs he did at the 121212 show at the Madison Square Garden show December 12, 2012. Finally I would get a complete show. On my wish list I had "The Long And Winding Road", one of my favorites, taken from the "Let It Be" album. I own all post-Revolver Beatles albums, and I have played them a lot over the years. Unfortunately he never played that favorite Beatles song of mine. May be he never perform it live, as it is sort of a goodbye song to the Beatles I think.

At 9:20pm they started to play a lot of Beatles style music, covers, real stuff, similar, some thought Paul was on, and the fans flooded from the packed catering areas into their seats and to the other sections. By 9:45pm Paul was on. He did a bunch of songs, tributes to Paul and George, to Jimi Hendrix, and he stayed on the stage until 20 minutes past midnight, a performance that lasted for 2 hours 35 minutes. I felt he rushed some songs, to get more songs into the set, in fact many older Beatles songs are short, less than two minutes, but in general he did some great stuff, on the bass, on the guitar, on keyboards, and on the ukulele, even with a swap from an ukulele out of tune into another ukule in tune, with a retake of the song.

At midnight he did "I Wanna Be Your Man". He said "Yesterday The Stones played one of the Beatles songs so now we are going to play one of their songs." Well it was the song the Beatles gave to the Stones... At 20 minutes past midnight it was all over. I had got a great version of "Carry That Weight", from Abbey Road, I had got "Hey Jude", and a bunch of other Beatles and McCartney songs, a Hendrix cover, "Something" - a Harrison cover, bits from my otrher favorite album "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band", and lots more. Now I know why Paul is so popular, he has got the same as the Stones, many many loyal fans who love his songs and his performances. If I had more time, then I might go to more of his shows, probably in a non-festival setting where all the hazzle to get in & out isn't there.

BV, I'm glad you enjoyed yourself & were able to broaden your horizons a bit at least as far as live performance goes. Neil Young is a favorite of mine & his current band is awesome. I've met him a few times & he's a nice man. If you're interested, there's a compilation of his recent European tour out there online. About 80 differents songs or versions. I think you might be amazed by it. Hope you enjoy tonight as well. I saw the Who recently & any opportunity to see Pete Townshend is worth taking. Also, I think Roger Waters may be special. His warm up shows in Mexico were stunning. He too has a crack band. Wish I was there. Have fun!

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: October 9, 2016 21:25

bv

I was expecting a lot of talking from Neil, as I had the impression he is an artist with a political message, but he did not say much.

Well he sang a brand new song titled "Neighborhood" that has bizarre lyrics :

"Terrorist suicide hang gliders
In the sky above you can't see
Hidden there in the darkness
Behind the reasons that you're free

I got some news along the way
That I must bring to you with sorrow
I never knew till yesterday
My life would end tomorrow

I think I know who to blame
It's all those people with funny names
Moving into our neighborhood
How can I tell if they're bad or good?

Terrorist suicide hang gliders
In the sky above you can't see
Hidden there in the darkness
Behind the reasons that you're free"

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: October 9, 2016 22:41

Thank you BV, seriously for your nice comments on seeing Paul. As a big (really big) Stones fan I feel it's very important to understand and realize the importance of The Beatles, though we might not be able to rock out as much with them as The Stones I believe we should not dismiss their huge imprint on music and culture too. As the great Neil Young says "keep on rockin' in the free world" I believe he's onto something. Cheers brother!

Date: October 9, 2016 23:05

Another night of amazing music! This weekend is really very surreal. The stunning desert setting, warm evening air, mellow vibe sets the scene for the musical extravaganza. Neil Young was superb and his band absolutely on it. An ecstatic version of Down By The River. Paul rocked his way through his usual extensive setlist and the crowd danced, partied and sang along, no doubt helped by the copious amounts of 'California Grass' which was again being smoked all night long around us adding to the heady atmosphere.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: October 9, 2016 23:23

Who's Next?

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: October 9, 2016 23:56

wonderboy
TooTough
McC chose a song the Stones did once -
but it had to be the one "he wrote and gave them".
Poor.

Stones did 'Come Together,' a Lennon song (even though Paul's bass line made the song funky.
Just two acts taking the piss out of each other.
Very competitive acts, which is why they will never 'guest' with each other.

Well, Ronnie did - in one of McC´s shows in 2011.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: October 10, 2016 00:38

shattered
Who's Next?

I think they're on first. winking smiley

Posted by: stone66 ()
Date: October 10, 2016 00:49

Hairball
During Pauls set, I overheard a couple of young knuckleheads refer to it as 'Granny Rock'.
Wonder what they thought of the Stones...probably 'Grandpa Rock'. winking smiley

Lennon once notoriously referred to some of Paul's songs as "granny music", one of those being "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La_Da", which was in the set.

Was it during or after that number? They might have just been referencing Lennon's comment.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 10, 2016 01:56

stone66
Hairball
During Pauls set, I overheard a couple of young knuckleheads refer to it as 'Granny Rock'.
Wonder what they thought of the Stones...probably 'Grandpa Rock'. winking smiley

Lennon once notoriously referred to some of Paul's songs as "granny music", one of those being "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La_Da", which was in the set.

Was it during or after that number? They might have just been referencing Lennon's comment.

Can't recall exactly, but since they left early I doubt they were referencing John Lennon.
And being the young knuckleheads they were (picture Beavis and Butthead), there's a chance they didn't even know or care who John Lennon is.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: October 10, 2016 02:27

gotdablouse
WDWDIOTR? That's why the Stones didn't do it yesterday!

Oh a French journalist was near Macca during the Stones' show and said he saw him dancing with Nancy during Come Together...

One of my fav recent memories of Paul McCartney (I'm a geek) but at the
2015 Grammys show Paul was front row audience and ELO suddenly came on stage w/
'Evil Woman' and Paul heard the first 3 notes and without thought stood up and started dancing. I saw different camera angle, but his natural truelove of music
[www.mediaite.com]
anyway, xxoo Paul McCartney he's really a good egg of a genius, I think.

Posted by: mikey C ()
Date: October 10, 2016 02:30

I am sure Neil played a great set he always does..... But the show in Leipzig this summer was brilliant...check out that set-list.....wow.M

Date: October 10, 2016 08:40

Macca's voice is weaker now but he works hard. Still amazing to watch!

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: October 10, 2016 15:11

stone66
Hairball

Love Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da...such a joyous song.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: October 10, 2016 15:28

Love old Macca and seen him 6 times but somewhat miffed he paid homage to the Stones by playing the song he and John wrote for them. He does have a bit of an ego and that was narcissistic and not really in the spirit of the event. And to add insult to injury, he played the Beatles' arrangement and not the Stones. I'd love to have seen him do, say, Ruby Tuesday or another Stones penned number his voice can still handle well.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: October 10, 2016 17:46

grzegorz67
Love old Macca and seen him 6 times but somewhat miffed he paid homage to the Stones by playing the song he and John wrote for them. He does have a bit of an ego and that was narcissistic and not really in the spirit of the event. And to add insult to injury, he played the Beatles' arrangement and not the Stones. I'd love to have seen him do, say, Ruby Tuesday or another Stones penned number his voice can still handle well.
thumbs up

He seemed genuinely excited when the stones broke out CT..
I'm hoping he has a "do-over" this weekend and sings a Glimmer Twins penned song.

Date: October 10, 2016 19:26

Hairball
Tonight the security was very tight compared to yesterday - couldn't roam around at will as was the case last night. The generals must have gathered up all the security/bouncers in the war room this morning and mapped out a new strategy to keep the masses in line. Entire sections were tightly guarded, and access wasn't allowed anywhere without showing wristband and laminated lanyard. Have to admit, last night bordered on chaos with people going wherever they wanted whenever they wanted clogging the aisles everywhere towards the front. With that said, it was nice to safely settle in my comfortable designated spot tonight and enjoy the show from that vantage point.

Neil Young lived up to expectations. Opening with After the Gold Rush alone at the piano playing for apprx. 100,000 people (or however many) was a sight and sound to behold. Then a solo acoustic version of Heart of Gold...heavenly. Other personal favorites: Out on the Weekend, Human Highway, Harvest Moon, Words, Walk On, Powderfinger, and Down by the River. Several new tunes I've never heard before - some were better than others I was hoping to hear My My, Hey Hey (Out of the Blue) (acoustic) and Hey Hey, My My (Into the Black) (electric), as well as Cinnamon Girl which I think he played at the Forum show last year, but it was not to be. Looking forward to seeing Neil again at the small Pomona Theater in a few days - it will be the complete opposite of the enormity of tonight's show - indoors with apprx. 2,000 people vs. outdoors in the desert with apprx. 100,000.

Seeing Paul McCartney live in concert is not really my cup of tea, and I knew what to expect before he played a single note as I've seen him a couple times in the past. While the Beatles are my favorite all time band, there's something very tribute band-esque going on when Paul plays all of his Beatles tunes. A great band he has indeed, but it's a bit too fluffy and sterile for my liking. His voice started out strong tonight, but deteriorated as the show went on - especially noticeable during Maybe I'm Amazed. An instrumental version of Hendrix's Foxy Lady was an odd choice, but he did have a nice story to go with it. Favorite Beatles track had to be I've Got a Feeling that included an extended uptempo part towards the end. Thankfully Neil came on stage to spice things up a bit and save the day as I was starting to yawn and squirm in my seat prior to that, but aside from that special collaboration there was nothing really worth writing home about. As mentioned above, I've seen him twice before tonight- the first time about 10 years ago in Vegas which was rather dull, and then again a couple years ago at Dodgers stadium which was slightly better...but only by a small margin. Tonight's show fits somewhere in between.

Hairball,

Great write up. Do you also hang out on AFG too?

[s7.zetaboards.com]

Thanks,

Mike

[www.flickr.com]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 10, 2016 21:09

MidnightDevilRambler

Hairball,

[s7.zetaboards.com]

Thanks,

Occasionally I post there - isn't that obvious by the same review posted there? winking smiley
And you would be - let me guess...cheapfilm on AFG?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-10 21:41 by Hairball.

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: October 10, 2016 21:54

anyone know why McCartney didn't sing "Come Together" with the Stones on Fri night?

Posted by: angee ()
Date: October 10, 2016 22:13

Bjornulf, I am happy you had the chance to see Neil Young live, what a treat. I saw him in a coupleof different cities and enjoyed him greatly. Yes, "Down By the River" is his anthem, his jam marathon.

I like your review of McCartney, true one of the greats, and I have not seen of of his shows .

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: October 10, 2016 22:26

reg thorpe
anyone know why McCartney didn't sing "Come Together" with the Stones on Fri night?

That was the plan, but then Macca said he wanted to do "Sleep Tonight" during his set with Mick guesting, and that was the end of that.

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: October 10, 2016 22:34

DeanGoodman
reg thorpe

That was the plan, but then Macca said he wanted to do "Sleep Tonight" during his set with Mick guesting, and that was the end of that.

Nahhhhhhhh

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: October 10, 2016 22:53

DeanGoodman
reg thorpe

I appreciate you.
smoking smiley

Date: October 11, 2016 12:23

jumpingjackflash5

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Seems difficult to sing out there in the desert, but Paul sure gives all he got thumbs up

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: October 11, 2016 15:34

DandelionPowderman
jumpingjackflash5

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Seems difficult to sing out there in the desert, but Paul sure gives all he got thumbs up

And in defense of Mecca Macca Paul, he sang/ 3 hour-ish shows Tuesday night, Wednesday night, and then Saturday night here in the Desert.
Maybe I'm Amazed, maybe he's emotional.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: October 11, 2016 16:13

Kurt
DeanGoodman
reg thorpe

I appreciate you.
smoking smiley

McCartney was enjoying the Dylan/Stones Concerts from his VIP-Box

Date: October 11, 2016 19:20

Hairball
MidnightDevilRambler

Hairball,

[s7.zetaboards.com]

Thanks,

Occasionally I post there - isn't that obvious by the same review posted there? winking smiley
And you would be - let me guess...cheapfilm on AFG?

Yeah the quote gave you away for sure.
Nope, I am MikeFloyd94 on AFG. See you there too!
[s7.zetaboards.com]

Thanks,

Mike

[www.flickr.com]

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: October 11, 2016 20:45

grzegorz67

he would never do an actual stones song- even though as you said ruby tuesday would've been perfect.he doesn't have the strength of charactor to do something like that.
i heard him on howard stern and all he could talk about was himself,when asked about the stones he said "we wrote their first hit because they didn't have any songs"
when asked about hendrix he said "when sgt pepper came out we went to a club and saw hendrix and he played it"-all of that rock and roll history he could've brought up but he couldn't take the focus off of himself.
then in a hilarious moment he actually said the stones came back in 2012 because they saw what he was doing with his tour.this delusional idiot actually thought the greatest touring rock and roll band in history was taking a cue from him to go back on the road.it was jawdropping,i think he actually believed it.

which is why his "do you know who i am ?"moment when he got sent packing by a massive doorman in a club in L.A. was so funny.the guy told him "you're not on the guest list you gotta go" and he took his bruised ego and walked his ass back to the car.the look on his face was priceless.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1875
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home