Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1718192021222324252627...LastNext
Current Page: 22 of 29
Re: The Rolling Stones and Bob Dylan Desert Trip Friday 07-Oct-2016 live show updates
Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: October 9, 2016 15:09

I've enjoyed reading through the first hand accounts of those who were there, and the official reviews and it supports what I posted earlier. Being at the gig is a very different experience to watching badly recorded YouTube clips that may only pick up one sound stack or just a bland generalised sound.

There were mistakes, plenty of them, there always is at a Stones show...Mick forgets a line, Keith fluffs his key or solos...it's kinda part of the Stones, they've always done it. I don't see the need to try and make out Keith was doing it on purpose...he wasn't, he @#$%& up, several times. It's not a hanging matter, he's having fun and doesn't pay too much attention to what he's playing these days. No need for us to fall into the emperor's new clothes syndrome!

Re: The Rolling Stones and Bob Dylan Desert Trip Friday 07-Oct-2016 live show updates
Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: October 9, 2016 15:14

HMS
Keith´ playing on Sympathy is great. He is fully aware of what he´s doing. It isn´t inability. He WANTS to make those grumpy growling sounds. He WANTS it to sound as mean as it gets. He doesn´t want to recreate the solo of the original recording. The man knows what he does!

From 2012 onward I´ve been always looking for the latest Sympathy-version to show up on youtube to enjoy his mean, mean guitar. And he has never disappointed me.

That's exactly what I thought, I just watched the youtube vid and it's pretty clear, he knows what sounds he wants and is making them.

It reminded me of the situation with Streets of Love.........Mick said he was "really pleased with that song because it came out exactly as he'd heard it in his head and it's often difficult to reproduce a song that close".....

Any given punter might not like SOL but that's something else...........

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: October 9, 2016 15:23

EddieByword
HMS
Keith´ playing on Sympathy is great. He is fully aware of what he´s doing. It isn´t inability. He WANTS to make those grumpy growling sounds. He WANTS it to sound as mean as it gets. He doesn´t want to recreate the solo of the original recording. The man knows what he does!

From 2012 onward I´ve been always looking for the latest Sympathy-version to show up on youtube to enjoy his mean, mean guitar. And he has never disappointed me.

That's exactly what I thought, I just watched the youtube vid and it's pretty clear, he knows what sounds he wants and is making them.

It reminded me of the situation with Streets of Love.........Mick said he was "really pleased with that song because it came out exactly as he'd heard it in his head and it's often difficult to reproduce a song that close".....

All good and well, but what counts in the end is if it sounds good or not. That's the bottom line, all excuses, as creative as they may be, aside.

Maybe it's Keith's way to fight the bootleggers, because nobody would want to listen to such a mess at home...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-09 15:25 by alimente.

Posted by: BILLPERKS ()
Date: October 9, 2016 15:27

They should dump Sympathy, it has stunk for ages.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: October 9, 2016 15:31

crumbling_mice
I've enjoyed reading through the first hand accounts of those who were there, and the official reviews and it supports what I posted earlier. Being at the gig is a very different experience to watching badly recorded YouTube clips that may only pick up one sound stack or just a bland generalised sound.

There were mistakes, plenty of them, there always is at a Stones show...Mick forgets a line, Keith fluffs his key or solos...it's kinda part of the Stones, they've always done it. I don't see the need to try and make out Keith was doing it on purpose...he wasn't, he @#$%& up, several times. It's not a hanging matter, he's having fun and doesn't pay too much attention to what he's playing these days. No need for us to fall into the emperor's new clothes syndrome!

I've always been very forgiving of mistakes at a live Stones show because they put across such a great feeling. But now I'm not getting that feeling anymore. That, to me is even sadder than the mistakes.

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: October 9, 2016 15:45

Can't wait to see the official dvd if there is one. To hear the solos on Start Me Up, Sympathy, Come Together.
The awful Honk Tonk version.
Ah the magic intervention in the studio ...

Hey if it is what Keith wants now with his playing on stage why these voluntary errors, these choices (!!!) disappear on Dvd ?

Thanks to explain.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: October 9, 2016 15:49

HonkeyTonkFlash
I've always been very forgiving of mistakes at a live Stones show because they put across such a great feeling. But now I'm not getting that feeling anymore. That, to me is even sadder than the mistakes.

Maybe not necessarily the Stones´ fault.
All of us are getting older and what once excited us leaves us rather cold now. That´s the way it goes...

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: October 9, 2016 15:53

HonkeyTonkFlash
Also my thoughts. Though I'm thinking the Latina America tour was superb. IMHO in 2013 some arena shows were also a bit lifeless and tired. At the end of the tour they played Hyde Park and Glastonbury which was quite good. For me they had their comeback in 2014. And then they got better and better. So let's hope they get their shape and energy back soon. But I guess it's also about the audience. Just compare is to Argentina last year. That was a whole different energy level.

Date: October 9, 2016 15:59

powerage78
Can't wait to see the official dvd if there is one. To hear the solos on Start Me Up, Sympathy, Come Together.

Hey if it is what Keith wants now with his playing on stage why these voluntary errors, these choices (!!!) disappear on Dvd ?

Thanks to explain.

Keith probably doesn´t know about this things "disappearing".
It´s Mick who decides what´s left in and what´s left out. Without Keith knowing it, Clearmountain stitches together a solo close to the original, using several live recordings. Of course this is not what Keith intented but Mick wants a clean take. I dont think Keith knows that they have "repaired" the Hyde Park Start-Me-Up-intro for CD/DVD/BR-release.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: October 9, 2016 16:02

gotdablouse
@drbryant - thanks for the first hand report! That place seems massive indeed and other than the pit I can't imagine it to be a very good experience...Were these originally $1600 tix?

Hope Mick's voice wasn't too stressed last night. You didn't mention Mixed Emotions, Keith seemed to be slashing his way through that one pretty good!

Yes, originally $1600 for three days. If you have the time (and energy), want to see all six acts, and have a local hotel, it probably isn't that bad because the show itself was great, with both Dylan and the Stones playing somewhat unusual setlists. I would imagine that from anywhere outside the pit, you're basically just watching the screens but that's the case with any stadium show as well.

It sounds like they had a lot of complaints about crowds blocking the views of people on the seats as crowd control for last night was reportedly much tighter, so that would help those with floor seats.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-09 16:06 by drbryant.

Date: October 9, 2016 16:04

Hard to believe...

It´s Mick who decides what´s left in and what´s left out. Without Keith knowing it, Clearmountain stitches together a solo close to the original, using several live recordings. Of course this is not what Keith intented but Mick wants a clean take. I dont think Keith knows that they have "repaired" the Hyde Park Start-Me-Up-intro for CD/DVD/BR-release.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-09 16:22 by powerage78.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: October 9, 2016 16:09

HMS
powerage78

Thanks to explain.

But Keith is still in the band (as a full member, not just a side musician who's got nothing to decide), or did I miss some important news in recent years? Then he obviously doesn't seem to care anymore how his guitar parts are treated to make them suitable for official releases.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: October 9, 2016 16:10

Stonesfan2146

Paul McCartney: "Last night the Stones did us a tribute to play one of the Beatles songs... And we're gonna play one of theirs now. It was actually their first hit in England ... and it's one that me and John wrote for 'em."

[www.youtube.com]

Comparison:

'I Wanna Be Your Man' - The Rolling Stones, O2 Arena London, 25-Nov-2012: [www.youtube.com] .

Date: October 9, 2016 16:13

HonkeyTonkFlash
crumbling_mice

I walked around the venue during the encore and thought the vibe was good. It didn't have that powerful feeling of most Stones show because much of the crowd was weren't Stones fanatics. I thought that the feeling in the pit was actually better than a lot of shows these days (not just the Stones) where companies and wealthy folk have most of the good seats. Still lots of people more concerned with taking good selfies than enjoying the music, but not bad. Where were you sitting/standing?

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: October 9, 2016 16:18

TheBlockbuster
Woz
Well, Paul blew the Stones away is all I can say...

Judging by this video I disagree, Paul sounds like he's ready for retirement home IMO: video: [www.youtube.com]

I heard him sing/ play this song Tuesday night in Sacramento.
I love this beautiful sappy romantic tune.
In 2016, I'd say it's the dry desert air, or I had his voice rested Tuesday (he then did another show Wednesday, this clip Friday)
In the 70's I could say maybe it's that extra line of coke.

We have ALL gotten older along with the bands.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: October 9, 2016 16:20

StonedRambler
HonkeyTonkFlash
Also my thoughts. Though I'm thinking the Latina America tour was superb. IMHO in 2013 some arena shows were also a bit lifeless and tired. At the end of the tour they played Hyde Park and Glastonbury which was quite good. For me they had their comeback in 2014. And then they got better and better. So let's hope they get their shape and energy back soon. But I guess it's also about the audience. Just compare is to Argentina last year. That was a whole different energy level.

It's true that first gigs can be weak for the Stones but the trouble is that now they aren't even doing enough gigs to get warmed up...

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Date: October 9, 2016 16:21

alimente
HMS
powerage78

Thanks to explain.

But Keith is still in the band (as a full member, not just a side musician who's got nothing to decide), or did I miss some important news in recent years? Then he obviously doesn't seem to care anymore how his guitar parts are treated to make them suitable for official releases.

I don´t think Keith spends hours and hours in a control room supervising the cutting of a DVD-release. Honestly I don´t think he has ever watched/listened to any of the recent DVD/CD-releases (Hyde Park, Ladies & Gentlemen, all of the vaults-releases). To him this would be a waste of time. If he was the only one to decide, we´d get the pure recordings just as they are without any treatments, I guess.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: October 9, 2016 16:25

Its to blame on the audience, imo.Very very lame crowd. The stones dont get enough energy back to the band. Unfortunately, just like the private gig.
Wait for the european tour , in 2017.
Jeroen

Date: October 9, 2016 16:29

He knows for Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out ?^^
Sorry, can't believe that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-09 16:31 by powerage78.

Date: October 9, 2016 16:31

Didn't know that crowd energy can prevent awful solos and painful playing.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-09 16:44 by powerage78.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: October 9, 2016 16:43

Maybe Keith had trouble w/ his arthritis in that dry desert air.
Cold air brings inflammation down.
This is why live/ or periscope live (you watching same time band is playing)
is much more fun and thrilling,
as our nit picking ADD brains don't puzzle out a review,
we just ride the train and hang on.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: October 9, 2016 16:45

powerage78
Didn't know that crowd energy can prevent awful solos and painful playing.

If the crowd is not interested, the Stones are not interested. simple as that.
jeroen

Posted by: terry ()
Date: October 9, 2016 16:56

Not the best Stones performance by far, it was lacklustre no energy.
I even thought jagger was subdued, no spark very lacklustre.
As for Keith's playing, jesus how many times has he played theses songs.
His missing notes or hitting the wrong note plus his not bending the string in key
It's painful to watch, Keith struts to the front of the stage as thou his goin
To give us a killer solo say on its only rock n roll, and he @#$%& that up.
Then when his on sympathy it goes from bad to worse.
Is Ronnie wood at the same show, he should be connecting with Keith more and could step in a bit more to cover.
I hope they improve for the next show, but I don't hold out much hope.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: October 9, 2016 17:05

alimente
EddieByword
HMS

All good and well, but what counts in the end is if it sounds good or not. That's the bottom line, all excuses, as creative as they may be, aside.

Maybe it's Keith's way to fight the bootleggers, because nobody would want to listen to such a mess at home...

That pertains exactly to my point, what sounds good is a purely subjective matter - some people love Lou Reed's Metal Machine Music??? ...and get it.......

Lou Reed appreciated some others (prolly 99%) might not, to the point that he even put a Petit Mal disclaimer on the cover..........grinning smiley

Keith likes the 'noise' he's making, I thought some stuff (esp, Out of control) sounded painful on periscope but when I listened to the other Youtube vids (Out of control not posted yet) I thought , yeah, that's actually ok, different to earlier versions but still effective..........and makes sense ...........

But as I said, it's all a matter of 'imo'....imo.....

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: October 9, 2016 17:34

The band wont be getting any better, the bad playing is here to stay until they hang up the whole act, their drummer is 75 years old and their lead guitar player is close to 73, but after all the drugs, drinks and smoke he looks like a 80+ years old guy.
The end of the line is close, enjoy it until it last, any day could be the last one.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: October 9, 2016 17:38

HMS
alimente
HMS
powerage78

Thanks to explain.

I don´t think Keith spends hours and hours in a control room supervising the cutting of a DVD-release. Honestly I don´t think he has ever watched/listened to any of the recent DVD/CD-releases (Hyde Park, Ladies & Gentlemen, all of the vaults-releases). To him this would be a waste of time. If he was the only one to decide, we´d get the pure recordings just as they are without any treatments, I guess.

No i dont think so. Back in the day when Stones s music mattered to him he overdubbed when he felt it was needed. I understand the idea of this sftd solo and prefer it to the usual longer noodling (the exaact same five notes e v e r y time,) but it's just too shitty. IF he only had done that devilish riff! Now all we got was him hitting those notes he doess at the end of the solo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-09 17:41 by Redhotcarpet.

Date: October 9, 2016 17:45

We've been going through the same comments for the last few years now. Keith's playing has been seriously compromised by his condition. I don't think there's any question about that. He still plays rhythm well enough, and I suspect he'll be able to do that forever, but his solos will be a struggle, unnoticed by most of the crowd, but readily apparent for any long time fan. You either accept that or you don't. For me, I find it unfortunate, but it doesn't ruin the experience for me.

Ronnie can still play, and he sounded good on "Ride em on Down" "You Can't Always Get What You Want" but sometimes he's a bit more focused on jumping up and down and mugging for the crowd, as he did in Start Me Up. Going forward, I'd like to see him focus and step up a bit more.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-09 17:46 by drbryant.

Date: October 9, 2016 18:07

You are right.
And I can't understand some fans can deny what you say just objectively: Keith and the Stones today.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-09 18:08 by powerage78.

Posted by: 68to72 ()
Date: October 9, 2016 18:14

georgelicks
The band wont be getting any better, the bad playing is here to stay until they hang up the whole act, their drummer is 75 years old and their lead guitar player is close to 73, but after all the drugs, drinks and smoke he looks like a 80+ years old guy.
The end of the line is close, enjoy it until it last, any day could be the last one.

thumbs upYeah you've got to remember how old these guys are, I know what my dad was capable of at that age.....

They're not getting any younger. We are lucky they're still playing at all, so why not just enjoy what time is left.

What a drag it is gettin' old

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-09 18:18 by 68to72.

Date: October 9, 2016 18:15

DandelionPowderman
Hansman
BILLPERKS
Nothing wrong with CT , just kinda pointless.

Very much. Even more when the drummer doesn't play the signature drum pattern the song is famous for but prefers to play some dragging beat throughout the entire song.

Don't get me wrong, I welcome the idea that they tried something else from the usual setlist suspects, but then you should do it right. This version wasn't. It was a waste of time.

Ringo didn't play that drum pattern either. But they were very inventive with that tape echo-effect..

Which part are you saying Ringo did not play?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1718192021222324252627...LastNext
Current Page: 22 of 29

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1784
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home