Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1314151617181920212223...LastNext
Current Page: 18 of 29
Re: The Rolling Stones and Bob Dylan Desert Trip Friday 07-Oct-2016 live show updates
Posted by: yeababyyea ()
Date: October 8, 2016 19:40

TheBlockbuster
Wow that SFTD solo is not so... good. Keith should really sit down and revisit the pentatonic shapes in E...

Yea, it's a shame really... If he spent more time actually looking at his fretboard making sure he's hitting the right notes instead of just posing it would probably be better.

Re: The Rolling Stones and Bob Dylan Desert Trip Friday 07-Oct-2016 live show updates
Posted by: Socrates1 ()
Date: October 8, 2016 19:42

Some of you people are brutal!

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: October 8, 2016 19:48

MileHigh
From the snippets of the clips I saw, there was no "Greatest Rock and Roll Band in the World" vibe going on. You know how you can't take an mp3 song and recompress it into another mp3 because there's "no juice left" in the original mp3? It felt like there was no juice left in their performance.

Like I mentioned before, Glastonbury 2013 was the last blast, the symbolic ending for the Rolling Stones. That's the way to remember them.

And your problem is trying to get a read on the show from what amounts to an MP3. The show was powerful and brilliant! Keith's guitar playing was fantastic as was that of the whole band. They were on fire...I love reading reviews by the fools who watch a YouTube and think they "got it" LOLOLOLOL

Date: October 8, 2016 19:50

Woz
MileHigh
From the snippets of the clips I saw, there was no "Greatest Rock and Roll Band in the World" vibe going on. You know how you can't take an mp3 song and recompress it into another mp3 because there's "no juice left" in the original mp3? It felt like there was no juice left in their performance.

Like I mentioned before, Glastonbury 2013 was the last blast, the symbolic ending for the Rolling Stones. That's the way to remember them.

And your problem is trying to get a read on the show from what amounts to an MP3. The show was powerful and brilliant! Keith's guitar playing was fantastic as was that of the whole band. They were on fire...I love reading reviews by the fools who watch a YouTube and think they "got it" LOLOLOLOL

Thanks for the real report!

Date: October 8, 2016 19:51

wonderboy
They seem like they are sort of feeling their way through the songs, being very careful. No juice. At Keith's age and medical history, it's a miracle he can still do this. The 'Willie Mays' analogy was a good one. Here's hoping it doesn't end badly.

You're too negative about them sometimes. I agree with your first sentence. There's nothing wrong with critiquing art. It's just that anybody can do it on the internet. When the vitriol seeps in I become uneasy reading some of this stuff, then it seem like invisible people taking jabs because they can.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-08 19:53 by Socrates1.

Date: October 8, 2016 19:52

spikenyc
Just watched Miss You.
Did not see Karl Denson?

It's Tim who does the MY solo.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: October 8, 2016 19:53

Youtube or not, SFTD and Come Together solos are just awful...
Sad reality no more no less smileys with beer

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: LSTNT ()
Date: October 8, 2016 20:04

Just watched JJF and how sad. No fire or excitement Mick barely moving or singing and Keith and Ronnie just aweful. I there is nothing like actual being st the shows but the few clips I watched were of a very uninspired band. I hope I'm wrong.

Date: October 8, 2016 20:10

What a start to the Desert Trip weekend! Superb desert setting, hot weather, cold beer and a very relaxed vibe. The effect of palm trees and mountains and big California skies was to put a huge smile on my face before the music had even started. We secured a great spot on the catwalk rail about ten deep from the front on Keith's side and the excitement grew as the sun went down and Bob Dylan took to the stage. Yes, a great songwriter and he played well and his voice was better than I was expecting......but, why can't he have some interaction with the audience? Not even a 'hello'? I am not a big fan as you can tell......
The roadies had a huge job remodelling the set and after an hour the Stones exploded on to the stage. Mick ventured down to the end of the catwalk during Start Me Up. Immediately engaging the crowd. The sound was so good throughout the set, Keith's intro on Sympathy was extraordinarily good as it blasted through the evening sky. Being so close and having Mick and Keith stop right in front of us on the catwalk a number of times made for a rocking show. Cool setlist, fun crowd where we were and seeing the band have such a great time is what it is all about. A couple of errors here and there, sure, but so what. A bloody excellent overall performance. So glad I came out here for this experience.......and we've got two nights to go!

Well alright, thanks you kindly.

Posted by: steverogan ()
Date: October 8, 2016 20:11

keithsman
steverogan
powerage78
thumbs down

MoreFastNumbers
Official Start Me Up snippet: Be Aware! The images ARE from Desert Trip, the music is NOT. It is from SSS... eye rolling smiley

[www.youtube.com]

Insamuch as this is an official Stones promotional video, I think it is misleading. If I were considering purchasing tix to LV and saw this I would think that they sound good, and may decide to buy. But clearly the unedited stuff on YT indicates otherwise on several songs. False advertising? Any thoughts?

Thoughts yeah, i don't think the Stones need to advertise, not sure they ever did, especially on youtube, i get the feeling the Stones youtube posts are mainly for their fans, just to tell them whats going on, whats new sort of thing. I think its nice that they bother.

Yet they DO advertise. A lot. A lot of overall marketing and advertising. Thanks for your input.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: October 8, 2016 20:25

GasLightStreet
SFTD was horrible, completely lifeless. Keith's solos were just mind bogglingly awful! What the hell!

But hey, HMS thinks that kind of playing is brilliant.

I love those grumpy growling sounds Keith played on SFTD. Unique. His playing in some way seems to be more "alive" than in 1989/90, where he was technically better but sounded somewhat sterile. Now thereĀ“s glimmer and gleam, even in the wrong notes. Keith let the sparks fly!

Date: October 8, 2016 20:26

Just for the sake of babbling on about the Stones, like we all enjoy doing here...

I'm a semi-regular youtube watcher of recent Stones concerts. I enjoy Stones music. I always have. IMHO, based upon several decent quality youtube videos, contained within this thread (that I've been lucky enough to sit here and watch for free, thanks to everybody for sharing!), the Desert Trip stuff seems like rehearsal material compared to most everything else I've heard from the band lately. I wonder if the band would disagree? So what if it wasn't their greatest show?

My qualifying experience for this post -- I watch and listen to the Stones on youtube from time to time. The most valid experience is being there at the show. Don't get me wrong --I like reading reviews from positive people who witness live music.

However, any topnotch performance will stand out, no matter what medium the music is moving through. Great songs sound great on a transistor radio.

I don't feel the energy on my end this time. This isn't Nashville 2015. Don't tell me that it is because you want to be nice to the Stones. And of course, I want to be nice to the Stones, too. It's not like I'm trying to be mean right now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-08 20:32 by Socrates1.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: October 8, 2016 20:32

Loved the setlist from last night!
Both of Keith's songs and Come Together being the standout surprises for me. I'm going next weekend (*Just scored a pit ticket for $389 on stubhub!!)and am hopeful there are perhaps even one or two more or different surprises.
Gotta think they'll up the ante a bit...

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: October 8, 2016 20:33

TheBlockbuster
Let's not be too hard on Ronnie, he seemed to have some kind of problems with his guitar on SMU, and his solo on Ride Em On Down is really good.

Yeah i noticed that too, Ronnie did have some kind of problems with his guitar, he's main problem being that he can't play it properly. eye rolling smiley

Date: October 8, 2016 20:39

steverogan
keithsman
steverogan
powerage78
thumbs down

MoreFastNumbers
Official Start Me Up snippet: Be Aware! The images ARE from Desert Trip, the music is NOT. It is from SSS... eye rolling smiley

[www.youtube.com]

Insamuch as this is an official Stones promotional video, I think it is misleading. If I were considering purchasing tix to LV and saw this I would think that they sound good, and may decide to buy. But clearly the unedited stuff on YT indicates otherwise on several songs. False advertising? Any thoughts?

Thoughts yeah, i don't think the Stones need to advertise, not sure they ever did, especially on youtube, i get the feeling the Stones youtube posts are mainly for their fans, just to tell them whats going on, whats new sort of thing. I think its nice that they bother.

Yet they DO advertise. A lot. A lot of overall marketing and advertising. Thanks for your input.

Its quite alright, thanks for allowing me to have some input. So how many shows on the rest of this 4 date tour need advertising on YOUTUBE to sell tickets.

Date: October 8, 2016 20:49

I meant to say: so what if it wasn't the greatest show they've ever done. I'm sure it was a great show. I would have loved to have been there.

Again: heavy emphasis on this: Maybe it would have been the greatest show for me -- had I been there.

Now having said all that, and repeated myself repeatedly... I swear to God this isn't (I hope) sour grapes because I missed the show: my Youtube review: lackluster performance.

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: October 8, 2016 20:50

It seems like some people on here would prefer if Keith came out on stage and played air guitar

Nate

Date: October 8, 2016 20:52

Come Together, a good, rough and hot cover :
[www.youtube.com]

Date: October 8, 2016 20:53

That one is awesome!

Posted by: mymick ()
Date: October 8, 2016 20:57

My comments on last night. So much hype but as a festival it was disappointing. We only managed to get GA tickets and even though we got to the front of the peasant section we couldn't see the stage just a vast walkway for VIPs and a gulf of space behind the seating area. Dylan sounded good but we couldn't see him and the screens just showed rolling black and white video footage. Someone collapsed from the heat but there was no one a a stewarding or giving out water. After 30+ Stones gigs, for the first time I watched them from a screen near the back. I screamed with disbelief when they opened with Start me Up but then the first half was the best part,I loved T&A which was my highlight. What I am saying is only make the trip if you can get decent tickets or you may be disappointed. Having done numerous festivals over the last 30 years, this one is far from being the best. Yes it is great seeing all the legends on one bill but if you have seen them all before, then not sure it is worth it. Day two here we come, onwards and upwards.

Date: October 8, 2016 20:59

keithsman
steverogan
keithsman
steverogan
powerage78
thumbs down

MoreFastNumbers

[www.youtube.com]

Its quite alright, thanks for allowing me to have some input. So how many shows on the rest of this 4 date tour need advertising on YOUTUBE to sell tickets.

Well there looks like there are quite a few for the second Vega show. I got an email 2 days ago about the show. Maybe for those shows? And, the vid is on YT but it is also on RS.com. So perhaps they will do more there as well

Date: October 8, 2016 21:11

steverogan
keithsman
steverogan
keithsman
steverogan
powerage78
thumbs down

MoreFastNumbers

[www.youtube.com]

Well there looks like there are quite a few for the second Vega show. I got an email 2 days ago about the show. Maybe for those shows? And, the vid is on YT but it is also on RS.com. So perhaps they will do more there as well

The point i was trying to make is that an overdub over IORR on a youtube clip being played over what sounded like a good version of IORR anyway, is not going to make much difference to ticket sales.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-08 21:12 by keithsman.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: October 8, 2016 21:18

Woz
MileHigh

i have to agree with that.i've had people tell me how good or bad the stones were playing on tours i saw in the 70'-they knew because they listened to the boots and could "analyze" it better without the distraction of being caught up in the moment.

as politely as possible i explained that no,your computors speaker system isn't as good as the stones P.A. at representing the music being played and since at one show i was leaning on the stage and could hear the guitar coming out of keiths amp, you can trust me when i tell you,they were good,realllly good.

having said that- c'mon you guys who were there, give us some reviews-

Date: October 8, 2016 21:20

SFTD solo or Come Together one is a question of amps so... drinking smileydrinking smileygrinning smiley

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: October 8, 2016 21:37

I have to laugh at much of what I'm reading here....JJF had no energy? Keith can't play? The sound inside was huge. The guitars cackling with energy. I had a great time. That was my 36th show since '78....I've seen the Stones good bad and ugly and that was a strong show last night....

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: October 8, 2016 21:44

Woz
I have to laugh at much of what I'm reading here....JJF had no energy? Keith can't play? The sound inside was huge. The guitars cackling with energy. I had a great time. That was my 36th show since '78....I've seen the Stones good bad and ugly and that was a strong show last night....
thumbs up
Going to be there next week.. (stubhub currently has 3 day pit passes for <$400!)
Can't wait!

Date: October 8, 2016 21:51

Glad for you really.
And sorry for the critics.
Best show ever.

Woz

Date: October 8, 2016 21:58

Woz

Agreed, people sit at home watching crap youtube videos recorded by devises that are not intended for loud music and think that that's how the Stones sound live. I have never come away from a Stones gig thinking the guitars sound is crap or they can't play . Keith's actual guitar 'sound' since 2012 has been incredible live, ok he needs a few gigs to get going properly but that's not going to happen on this tour so i would recommend people lowering their expectations a bit.

Date: October 8, 2016 22:00

keithsman
steverogan
keithsman
steverogan
keithsman
steverogan
powerage78
thumbs down

MoreFastNumbers

[www.youtube.com]

The point i was trying to make is that an overdub over IORR on a youtube clip being played over what sounded like a good version of IORR anyway, is not going to make much difference to ticket sales.

Yes, and it is a good point. But I guess I just don;t like the deception. Show the people what they actually get;

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: October 8, 2016 22:13

after seeing some of the videos i have to say that looks like a damn good show to me-

after about a million different rock and roll concerts in every different enviroment i can pretty much tell what i'm actually hearing as opposed to the video.

those big P.A.s really sound good in an open air setting like that especially in warm weather with no wind,the sound just carries,it has space to breath instead of bouncing off a ceiling and four walls.
not perfect playing but the guitars had that sting-looking good to me.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1314151617181920212223...LastNext
Current Page: 18 of 29

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1988
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home