Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1213141516171819202122...LastNext
Current Page: 17 of 29
Re: The Rolling Stones and Bob Dylan Desert Trip Friday 07-Oct-2016 live show updates
Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: October 8, 2016 17:44

MileHigh
From the snippets of the clips I saw, there was no "Greatest Rock and Roll Band in the World" vibe going on. You know how you can't take an mp3 song and recompress it into another mp3 because there's "no juice left" in the original mp3? It felt like there was no juice left in their performance.

Like I mentioned before, Glastonbury 2013 was the last blast, the symbolic ending for the Rolling Stones. That's the way to remember them.

Yea from the videos the audience seems very quiet and unresponsive, must have something to do with the performance I think.

Re: The Rolling Stones and Bob Dylan Desert Trip Friday 07-Oct-2016 live show updates
Posted by: Socrates1 ()
Date: October 8, 2016 17:49

The Stones and their audience intertwine in a symbiotic relationship when everything gels and the magic gets going. All you Stones fanatics know that. Just from watching some of this desert stuff and the Vegas trucker thing, it's a little bit different, I think, because the Stones weren't playing to their typical, loving audience.

Date: October 8, 2016 17:51

TheBlockbuster
MileHigh
From the snippets of the clips I saw, there was no "Greatest Rock and Roll Band in the World" vibe going on. You know how you can't take an mp3 song and recompress it into another mp3 because there's "no juice left" in the original mp3? It felt like there was no juice left in their performance.

Like I mentioned before, Glastonbury 2013 was the last blast, the symbolic ending for the Rolling Stones. That's the way to remember them.

Yea from the videos the audience seems very quiet and unresponsive, must have something to do with the performance I think.

Yeah, I hadn't even read this before I typed out that other long-winded shite. Two weird audiences in a row.

Posted by: jackflash1129 ()
Date: October 8, 2016 18:03

Set list was pretty diverse last night. 7 from the 60s, 5 from the 70s, 4 from the 80s, 2 from the 90s and two wild cards.

Date: October 8, 2016 18:03

Socrates1
The Stones and their audience intertwine in a symbiotic relationship when everything gels and the magic gets going. All you Stones fanatics know that. Just from watching some of this desert stuff and the Vegas trucker thing, it's a little bit different, I think, because the Stones weren't playing to their typical, loving audience.

I agree with this completely. Mick knows the hardcore fans are going to be at the arena shows where we can get tickets for a decent price and the corporate attendees are mixed in and not the dominate crowd. This crowd seems like a mix but not the Stones crowd is not in the majority .

Hopefully Vegas will bring a few more chestnuts from their library.

We did not get much from their rehearsals like we did in the past so who knows what they may pull out. I thought Mixed Emotions was long forgotten as a touring song.

T

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: October 8, 2016 18:05

jumpingjackflash5
Hansman
Thanks for all the YouTube links. Much appreciated.

My honest impression: I watched most of them now and I must say that the Stones sound really really bad on most songs. It reminded me a lot of some of the ABB shows I have seen which were mostly terrible. Keith really has lost all his chops by now. You can't call that guitar playing anymore. It's a joke really. Same with Ronnie. That "solo" in Start Me Up is laughable. In fact, I find it embarrassing what Ronnie and Keith delivered here. Charlie plays stiffer than ever. I can't hear any swing or groove in his drumming. Mick sounds as if he holds back for some reason. The entire band just doesn't flow. I wished I could praise and celebrate them, but to my ears they sound really, really horrible.

Sad.

Nonsense. For sure their playing is different from what it was 20 or 40 years ago but it works very well. And the guitars are OK.

A succinct no-nonsense response that I agree with 100%. Loved Mixed Emotions from this show.

Posted by: MacLaurens ()
Date: October 8, 2016 18:06

Hope everyone there had a blast! A fantastic setlist. I really like that they are bringing in a blues cover, and Mixed Emotions as well. I could barely believe my eyes when I saw Come Together in the setlist. I also like that they have IORR and Dice later in the set. Hope they can continue surprise us.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: October 8, 2016 18:09

Ronnie solo on Start me up and Come together are just a shame. Two common drafts.
One word for this show : floating.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-08 18:14 by powerage78.

Posted by: MoreFastNumbers ()
Date: October 8, 2016 18:17

Official Start Me Up snippet: Be Aware! The images ARE from Desert Trip, the music is NOT. It is from SSS... eye rolling smiley

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: October 8, 2016 18:19

They seem like they are sort of feeling their way through the songs, being very careful. No juice. At Keith's age and medical history, it's a miracle he can still do this. The 'Willie Mays' analogy was a good one. Here's hoping it doesn't end badly.

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: October 8, 2016 18:20

Just watched Miss You.
Did not see Karl Denson?

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: October 8, 2016 18:32

powerage78
I love the Stones, but I can't love them today only because they still play...
Only because they are still there.

For me, here, the Keith guitar playing is just weak, inconsistent, wavering.
Even the riff.

I am not the only one thinking that on this board after this show.

And it's just sad on SFTD.

He seems lost on stage.

What can you expect, Keith has always needed lots of shows before he fires on all four cylinders, since 2012 these are not tours, they are 15 shows, then 10 months off. Plus they only play 2 shows a week. Keith cant get close to good in that time, but its all Micks voice will handle, 2 shows a week, so this is all we can expect from Keith. And yes i know he should practice more but that's not Keith.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: October 8, 2016 18:36

thumbs down

MoreFastNumbers
Official Start Me Up snippet: Be Aware! The images ARE from Desert Trip, the music is NOT. It is from SSS... eye rolling smiley

[www.youtube.com]

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: October 8, 2016 18:39

Let's not be too hard on Ronnie, he seemed to have some kind of problems with his guitar on SMU, and his solo on Ride Em On Down is really good.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-08 18:49 by TheBlockbuster.

Posted by: MacLaurens ()
Date: October 8, 2016 18:50

MoreFastNumbers

[www.youtube.com]

It is well synchronized though thumbs up

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-08 18:51 by MacLaurens.

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: October 8, 2016 18:55

Ha, I just watched YCAGWYW and Keith plays his once favorite lick! He doesn't do it a lot anymore but in 81/82 he played it on almost every song. The one you hear on Tom Waits' Hell Broke Luce or at the end of So Divine.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: October 8, 2016 18:55

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: October 8, 2016 18:59

The audience deserves a mention. Compared to Argentina et al,the American festival crowds could better be viewed as a roving ICU.
Bless them, they haven't quite kicked the bucket yet.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: October 8, 2016 19:01

I won't complain about the setlist. We got one new blues cover, a Beatles cover, Mixed Emotions and T&A. This is probably as good as it gets. The band didn't sound that well?
Well, it was their first gig on the mini tour. And the tour is so short so they won't have time to improve. What you see is what you get. I guess...

Posted by: steverogan ()
Date: October 8, 2016 19:08

powerage78
thumbs down

MoreFastNumbers

[www.youtube.com]

Insamuch as this is an official Stones promotional video, I think it is misleading. If I were considering purchasing tix to LV and saw this I would think that they sound good, and may decide to buy. But clearly the unedited stuff on YT indicates otherwise on several songs. False advertising? Any thoughts?

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 8, 2016 19:09

Cristiano Radtke
Mixed Emotions:

How different... wow. It's wonky. In an interesting way. Doesn't have that steady manic intensity that it had in 1989-90, it's way more laid back and has some bounce to it.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: October 8, 2016 19:10

Me, I'm waiting for reviews from people who were there to experience the performance live.

Posted by: Librarian ()
Date: October 8, 2016 19:18

Beast
Me, I'm waiting for reviews from people who were there to experience the performance live.

Quote of thread. smiling smiley

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: October 8, 2016 19:19

barbabang
From what I've seen so far : Mixed Emotions the highlight for me. Great stingy version with a great solo from Ronnie. (I've seen the blues song and Little T&A so far..)

OK, I liked Mixed Emotions, too. Nice groove and the guitars were good. Keith did well here. The backup singers carry Mick on this one.

Posted by: yeababyyea ()
Date: October 8, 2016 19:21

steverogan
powerage78
thumbs down

MoreFastNumbers

[www.youtube.com]

Insamuch as this is an official Stones promotional video, I think it is misleading. If I were considering purchasing tix to LV and saw this I would think that they sound good, and may decide to buy. But clearly the unedited stuff on YT indicates otherwise on several songs. False advertising? Any thoughts?

Actually that SSS version of Start Me Up sucks, judging by video it was way better last night without Lisa Fisher drowning out Mick's vocals. The reason they put old audio on new videos is because they don't have time to make a good audio mix in such short time. If they just put on the raw soundboard audio unmixed (like they did in 2013) it won't make justice to band.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-08 19:22 by yeababyyea.

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: October 8, 2016 19:23

steverogan
powerage78
thumbs down

MoreFastNumbers

[www.youtube.com]

Thoughts yeah, i don't think the Stones need to advertise, not sure they ever did, especially on youtube, i get the feeling the Stones youtube posts are mainly for their fans, just to tell them whats going on, whats new sort of thing. I think its nice that they bother.

Date: October 8, 2016 19:27

Some Stones shows are better than others.

Signed, Dick on the Internet

Posted by: MGetzner ()
Date: October 8, 2016 19:28

What a fabulous Coachella setlist, and wonderful videos! I wish I could have been there! This is the stuff true legends are made of!

Date: October 8, 2016 19:29

Stoneage
I won't complain about the setlist. We got one new blues cover, a Beatles cover, Mixed Emotions and T&A. This is probably as good as it gets.

So that was the big surprise the Plink was talking about and probably what Mick meant by something new - which I originally thought was Mixed Emotions ha ha!

Date: October 8, 2016 19:37

SFTD was horrible, completely lifeless. Keith's solos were just mind bogglingly awful! What the hell!

But hey, HMS thinks that kind of playing is brilliant.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1213141516171819202122...LastNext
Current Page: 17 of 29

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1474
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home