Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920...LastNext
Current Page: 15 of 29
Re: The Rolling Stones and Bob Dylan Desert Trip Friday 07-Oct-2016 live show updates
Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: October 8, 2016 13:35

From what I've seen so far : Mixed Emotions the highlight for me. Great stingy version with a great solo from Ronnie. (I've seen the blues song and Little T&A so far..)

Re: The Rolling Stones and Bob Dylan Desert Trip Friday 07-Oct-2016 live show updates
Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: October 8, 2016 13:47

Wow that SFTD solo is not so... good. Keith should really sit down and revisit the pentatonic shapes in E...

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: October 8, 2016 14:03

Ronnie awful one so.

DandelionPowderman
powerage78
Angus and his playing are STILL There winking smiley

And sorry yes this solo is purely awful.
TooTough
powerage78
Come Together, awful Keith solo.

As much as I like your AC/DC connection - maybe you
are a bit frustrated that we still have an original
guitar player, the original drummer and singer.

There is no Keith solo in CT...

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: October 8, 2016 14:15

The Rolling Stones
Desert Trip #1
Empire Polo Club (Coachella site) Indio, California
Friday October 7, 2016

Setlist with Videos:

1. Start Me Up: [www.youtube.com] , [www.youtube.com] , [www.youtube.com]

2. You Got Me Rocking: [www.youtube.com]

3. Out Of Control: [www.youtube.com]

4. Ride 'Em On Down: [www.youtube.com] , [www.youtube.com]

5. Mixed Emotions: [www.youtube.com]

6. Wild Horses: [www.youtube.com] , [www.youtube.com] , [www.youtube.com] , [www.youtube.com]

7. It's Only Rock 'n' Roll: [www.youtube.com] , [www.youtube.com]

8. Come Together: [www.youtube.com] , [www.youtube.com]

9. Tumbling Dice: [www.youtube.com]

10. Honky Tonk Women: [www.youtube.com]

-- Band Introductions: [www.youtube.com] --

11. Slipping Away: [www.periscope.tv]

12. Little T&A: [www.youtube.com] , [www.youtube.com] , [www.youtube.com]

13. Midnight Rambler: [www.youtube.com] , [www.youtube.com], [www.youtube.com]

14. Miss You: [www.youtube.com] , [www.youtube.com]

15. Gimme Shelter: [www.youtube.com] , [www.youtube.com] , [www.youtube.com] , [www.youtube.com]

16. Sympathy For The Devil: [www.youtube.com] , [www.youtube.com] , [www.youtube.com]

17. Brown Sugar: [www.periscope.tv]

18. Jumping Jack Flash: [www.youtube.com] , [www.youtube.com]

19. You Can't Always Get What You Want: [www.youtube.com] , [www.youtube.com]

20. (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction: [www.youtube.com] , [www.youtube.com]

Full-Show-Audio: [iorr.org] , [iorr.org] , [iorr.org] .

Edited 13 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-14 15:10 by Irix.

Posted by: Stonesfan2146 ()
Date: October 8, 2016 14:32

After going to a few videos I noticed that something was wrong with Mick's voice in some songs (for example IORR, JJF, bits of SFTD...). Hope he is doing okay..

Posted by: VOODOOSEBI ()
Date: October 8, 2016 14:35

Irix
Video Setlist:

1. Start Me Up: [www.youtube.com]
2. You Got Me Rocking: [www.youtube.com]
3. Out Of Control
4. Ride 'Em On Down: [www.youtube.com]
5. Mixed Emotions: [www.youtube.com]
6. Wild Horses: [www.youtube.com]
7. It's Only Rock 'n' Roll: [www.youtube.com]
8. Come Together: [www.youtube.com]
9. Tumbling Dice
10. Honky Tonk Women
11. Slipping Away
12. Little T&A: [www.youtube.com]
13. Midnight Rambler: [www.youtube.com]
14. Miss You: [www.youtube.com]
15. Gimme Shelter: [www.youtube.com]
16. Sympathy For The Devil: [www.youtube.com] , [www.youtube.com]
17. Brown Sugar
18. Jumping Jack Flash: [www.youtube.com] , [www.youtube.com]
19. You Can't Always Get What You Want: [www.youtube.com]
20. (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction: [www.youtube.com]

Thank you for the list! I'm really looking forward to see the whole show this eveningsmileys with beer

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: October 8, 2016 14:36

TheBlockbuster
Wow that SFTD solo is not so... good. Keith should really sit down and revisit the pentatonic shapes in E...

Um ... in my humble opinion it's a lot bloody worse than just not so good, it's plain awful. Mine might not be the most finely tuned ears in town, but I'm sorry - THAT solo grates rather badly !!

Loved the news (old) blues number though

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: latvianinexile ()
Date: October 8, 2016 14:40

Stonesfan2146
After going to a few videos I noticed that something was wrong with Mick's voice in some songs (for example IORR, JJF, bits of SFTD...). Hope he is doing okay..

Agree. And he's saving his voice very much on Mixed Emotions.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: October 8, 2016 14:47

Many thanks to those who posted so many videos from the show. It's easy to be critical if you weren't actually there but I'd say from the snippets of many songs that the Stones did a pretty good show. Little T&A was a bit weak; should have left that one back in 1981. But many other songs sounded pretty good. I'm sure it was a million times better if you were actually there!

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Date: October 8, 2016 14:53

paulywaul
TheBlockbuster

Um ... in my humble opinion it's a lot bloody worse than just not so good, it's plain awful. Mine might not be the most finely tuned ears in town, but I'm sorry - THAT solo grates rather badly !!

Maybe it's time for Keith to just start letting Ronnie solo on SFTD. I hate to see him embarrass himself.

Date: October 8, 2016 14:54

Partial criticsm or subjectively coloured opinion is OK, everybody is entitled to have it. But overall, great show and even some songs that did not went great went well enough smiling smiley I would not leave Little T and A in 1981 smiling smiley

Date: October 8, 2016 15:00

TheBlockbuster

This has perplexed me in the modern era; how Keith struggles to find his licks in Sympathy. As a guitarist myself, I know how easy it can be to play leads to Sympathy using simple pentatonic scales in E. His classic solo on the Ya Ya's version is a perfect example and one of the first Keith solos I learned to play as a kid. Keith should seriously sit down and study Ya Ya's again. Still love the guy though...

Posted by: Stonesfan2146 ()
Date: October 8, 2016 15:16

Cristiano Radtke

[twitter.com]

Where can I buy this T-shirt? Really like it!

Posted by: cineplexed2 ()
Date: October 8, 2016 15:35

I would like to "thank" all the people who complain about warhorses for the version of "Come Together" I just watched on YouTube. Oh boy. With a catalog so deepas they have, why the Stones would cover a middling Beatles song is a head scratcher. Otherwise they sounded really great from all the vids I;'ve seen so far.,

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: October 8, 2016 15:49

HonkeyTonkFlash
TheBlockbuster

This has perplexed me in the modern era; how Keith struggles to find his licks in Sympathy. As a guitarist myself, I know how easy it can be to play leads to Sympathy using simple pentatonic scales in E. His classic solo on the Ya Ya's version is a perfect example and one of the first Keith solos I learned to play as a kid. Keith should seriously sit down and study Ya Ya's again. Still love the guy though...

It's kind of puzzling really. And it should not be cause of old age or arthritis, he simply has forgotten where the scales are on the freboard. Just 20 minutes per day of strolling through those shapes in E should solve this problem, but that's to much to ask for apparently...

Posted by: Hansman ()
Date: October 8, 2016 15:55

Thanks for all the YouTube links. Much appreciated.

My honest impression: I watched most of them now and I must say that the Stones sound really really bad on most songs. It reminded me a lot of some of the ABB shows I have seen which were mostly terrible. Keith really has lost all his chops by now. You can't call that guitar playing anymore. It's a joke really. Same with Ronnie. That "solo" in Start Me Up is laughable. In fact, I find it embarrassing what Ronnie and Keith delivered here. Charlie plays stiffer than ever. I can't hear any swing or groove in his drumming. Mick sounds as if he holds back for some reason. The entire band just doesn't flow. I wished I could praise and celebrate them, but to my ears they sound really, really horrible.

Sad.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-08 15:57 by Hansman.

Date: October 8, 2016 15:55

TheBlockbuster
HonkeyTonkFlash
TheBlockbuster

It's kind of puzzling really. And it should not be cause of old age or arthritis, he simply has forgotten where the scales are on the freboard. Just 20 minutes per day of strolling through those shapes in E should solve this problem, but that's to much to ask for apparently...

Kind of sad really. As much as I love Keith, it seems the Keith I love the most can only be found in the distant past. Sometimes he surprises me and pulls out some pretty good latter day licks but in general, he's a shell of his once great self. The Stones would be truly amazing if Keith would buckle down and try harder. I'd hate to think that age has rendered his memory so bad that he can't recall simple blues scales. Mick and Charlie are still in great form and Ronnie's playing very well. Ah, but Keith....

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: October 8, 2016 16:00

HonkeyTonkFlash
paulywaul
TheBlockbuster

Maybe it's time for Keith to just start letting Ronnie solo on SFTD. I hate to see him embarrass himself.

I thought Ronnies solos on the last tour in SA were consistently lousy, so maybe leave Keith to keep his solos, lets put it down to first night nerves.

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: October 8, 2016 16:04

No, I don't think it's sad. His timing on Honkey Tonk Women was spot on. His syncopation on Mixed emotions too. He played great runs on Ride Em On Down and his solo on Little T & A was firing. And when he's on, he still drives Start Me Up, JJF and co like no one else can. He may not concentrate enough on guitar playing on Sympathy, Satisfaction etc. but he works the crowd. And when he concentrates he still plays beautiful, not to mention his acoustic work.

Date: October 8, 2016 16:04

keithsman
HonkeyTonkFlash
paulywaul
TheBlockbuster

I thought Ronnies solos on the last tour in SA were consistently lousy, so maybe leave Keith to keep his solos, lets put it down to first night nerves.

That's the trouble with them just doing a few gigs and not a proper tour. Keith needs more shows than they're even doing just to shake off the rust and get warmed up these days.

Posted by: Socrates1 ()
Date: October 8, 2016 16:05

I forgot this was going on last night! Great setlists from The Stones and Bob.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: October 8, 2016 16:06

Been catching up with reports and videos on my little phone screen this morning. Thanks to all who generously provided either or both...great way to start the day. Coffee time now. cool smiley

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: October 8, 2016 16:07

TheBlockbuster
HonkeyTonkFlash
TheBlockbuster

Keith is 1 of my heroes & I still luv his classic work. I think though that the decades of living hard have taken their toll. This is saying nothing against Keith. Most of us wouldn't be among the living if we had tried to live his lifestyle. An obvious example of someone trying to emulate Keith & not making it would be Gram Parsons. It makes me sad what we missed with that guy. His music still sounds fresh today. Back to Keith. He still has flashes of brilliance but they are becoming more rare. For me, the line where it started was the coconut tree/brain surgery incident. At shows I've seen, the decline has been noticable. Until then, he was still playing well. This is all my humble opinion based on what I've witnessed personally or on film or heard on tape. God bless him for still going out & playing. I just think the bar is lower now. This setlist looks ok but I don't think I could justify paying hundreds of dollars to see it. On the other hand, I think Dylan's set list looks pretty interesting. & the reports seem to think he was in fine form. He does have an outstanding band. You never know what you're going to get with Bob, good & bad. I've seen both. 1.5 years ago I saw a show that was outstanding. My doc went this year & was very disappointed. I'm looking forward to hearing tapes of all the bands playing this weekend. I think some stellar things are coming.

Date: October 8, 2016 16:08

Yes, thanks everybody! Bob sounds great from the snippets on youtube so far. And of course the Stones do too!

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: October 8, 2016 16:13

This is the way i look at it these days, better to have a diminished Mick and Keith than no Mick and Keith. These guys are in their 70's and lets face it, who is better at this ripe old age than they were in their prime.

Date: October 8, 2016 16:15

crholmstrom
TheBlockbuster
HonkeyTonkFlash
TheBlockbuster

Keith is 1 of my heroes & I still luv his classic work. I think though that the decades of living hard have taken their toll. This is saying nothing against Keith. Most of us wouldn't be among the living if we had tried to live his lifestyle. An obvious example of someone trying to emulate Keith & not making it would be Gram Parsons. It makes me sad what we missed with that guy. His music still sounds fresh today. Back to Keith. He still has flashes of brilliance but they are becoming more rare. For me, the line where it started was the coconut tree/brain surgery incident. At shows I've seen, the decline has been noticable. Until then, he was still playing well. This is all my humble opinion based on what I've witnessed personally or on film or heard on tape. God bless him for still going out & playing. I just think the bar is lower now. This setlist looks ok but I don't think I could justify paying hundreds of dollars to see it. On the other hand, I think Dylan's set list looks pretty interesting. & the reports seem to think he was in fine form. He does have an outstanding band. You never know what you're going to get with Bob, good & bad. I've seen both. 1.5 years ago I saw a show that was outstanding. My doc went this year & was very disappointed. I'm looking forward to hearing tapes of all the bands playing this weekend. I think some stellar things are coming.

Very well put. I have to agree that the last time I really saw the Keith that I love was on the Bigger Bang Tour, once before the accident and once after. I do have to say that he did play well at the one post-accident show I saw, but somehow he looked different. When they showed close-ups on the screens he looked kind of...vacant and out of it. Since then I've only seen the Stones via videos and recordings, and sometimes he's been OK but never really the Keith of old. He was pretty good on Hyde Park Live but still very minimalist compared to how he used to play on those songs. I'm afraid we're getting more into the era of paying to see a living legend rather than paying for the real raw rock we used to expect from the Stones. Maybe I'd feel differently if I'd had the chance to be there in person.

Posted by: chevysales ()
Date: October 8, 2016 16:19

bv
The desert is hot hot hot today probably around 93 F which is 34 C. It will get a bit more chilly this evening luckily. They say this is the biggest rock music event in history.

By that post I guess you were too young to make Woodstock (who says)? thumbs up

Date: October 8, 2016 16:20

I think Bob might sound better than the Stones this time. OMG, forgive me Stones!

Date: October 8, 2016 16:25

Hansman
Thanks for all the YouTube links. Much appreciated.

My honest impression: I watched most of them now and I must say that the Stones sound really really bad on most songs. It reminded me a lot of some of the ABB shows I have seen which were mostly terrible. Keith really has lost all his chops by now. You can't call that guitar playing anymore. It's a joke really. Same with Ronnie. That "solo" in Start Me Up is laughable. In fact, I find it embarrassing what Ronnie and Keith delivered here. Charlie plays stiffer than ever. I can't hear any swing or groove in his drumming. Mick sounds as if he holds back for some reason. The entire band just doesn't flow. I wished I could praise and celebrate them, but to my ears they sound really, really horrible.

Sad.

Nonsense. For sure their playing is different from what it was 20 or 40 years ago but it works very well. And the guitars are OK.

Date: October 8, 2016 16:32

powerage78
Ronnie awful one so.

DandelionPowderman
powerage78
Angus and his playing are STILL There winking smiley

And sorry yes this solo is purely awful.
TooTough
powerage78
Come Together, awful Keith solo.

As much as I like your AC/DC connection - maybe you
are a bit frustrated that we still have an original
guitar player, the original drummer and singer.

There is no Keith solo in CT...

He just plays the theme.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920...LastNext
Current Page: 15 of 29

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1725
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home