Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: BBC Article: "The Rolling Stones 'hit a wall' making new music, says Don Was"
Posted by: alimente ()
Date: October 7, 2016 23:29

open-g
wonderboy
It used to be when the 'hit the wall' they would keep playing, try the song a different way, go to a different song. We've all heard the story of Keith playing the Tumbling Dice chord for 12 straight hours.
I think Don is hinting that it might be over for new music.
Don also said "Both Keith and Mick have some great new songs," perhaps not enough, what do I know.
I do like the approach of picking up whatever music is floating in the air and everyone feels comfortable with.
putting your head through the wall requires much more power and is usually painful.and what if there's another concrete wall behind the first?

the easiness of this production might colour off on their next one.
hope so anyway.

Whatever Don Was says, must be ok'ed by his bosses beforehand, and is nothing more than made-up promo chat for the blues album. Clapton there in the next studio just a coincidence? Nonsense, it was planned beforehand. The story that Clapton just came over from the close-by studio, listened, got enthusiastic and joined in just sounds better, even romantic for the general public.

It's the same with the story that the Stones were in the studio trying to create new music "on the spot" when on day 3, they "hit a wall" and started playing the blues. They just don't go into the studio without careful planning and pre-preduction these days, in order to save time (and money, of course). So even if they, the professionals they really are, "hit the wall" with one song, they simply try a different one. Happened before, happens with all kinds of artists all over the world, so no big deal really. It's just a better story next year when the new album of original stuff comes out to say that "the blues brought us back on track". I know this showbusiness long enough to not take the usual promo talk word for word.

I think Was' statement is also a clever move to counter possible media reaction like: "Oh, just blues covers on the new album? The Stones must have run out of original ideas!". Just stating the obvious beforehand is the best defense I can think of!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-08 01:18 by alimente.

Re: BBC Article: "The Rolling Stones 'hit a wall' making new music, says Don Was"
Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: October 8, 2016 00:13

+ 1 thumbs up

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 8, 2016 00:28

Fanks Father Ted ... Good ta hear Mr Was talking about the recording session

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: October 8, 2016 00:55

They chose Knopfler's British Grove because of the retrofitted vintage recording equipment that has won the studio awards and recognition. Clapton was booked there with Glyn Johns at the same time the Stones booked the session with Don Was. They returned to British Grove after the Latin American tour for additional recording. It was my understanding the new Jagger-Richards material was being worked up at a different location altogether. Far be it from me to contradict Don Was' PR-approved version of events, but it was what I heard.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-08 02:02 by Rocky Dijon.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: October 8, 2016 01:08

It seems like they put the same amount of thought into the album's artwork.

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: October 8, 2016 02:08

Monsoon Ragoon
Palace Revolution 2000
Monsoon Ragoon
Nobody needs 15 weak, but new tracks like the four on Forty Licks or the two on Grrr. A Bigger Bang was something else though, but also ruined by the 3, 4 weak tracks.

Which do you consider the weak tracks off ABB, Monsoon?

Biggest Mistake, She Saw Me Coming, Dangerous Beauty. Streets Of Love is both good and bad.
Agreed on pretty much your whole statement - not so sure about DB; but I'd add 'Infamy', and the one about G.Bush

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: October 8, 2016 02:20

@alimente - all good points, but in spite of DW's best efforts, the BBC still uses a title that makes it sound like the Stones have hit the wall with new material in general...serves them right for spinning that story I suppose ;-)

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Steen G ()
Date: October 8, 2016 03:19

Palace Revolution 2000
Monsoon Ragoon
Palace Revolution 2000
Monsoon Ragoon
Nobody needs 15 weak, but new tracks like the four on Forty Licks or the two on Grrr. A Bigger Bang was something else though, but also ruined by the 3, 4 weak tracks.

Biggest Mistake, She Saw Me Coming, Dangerous Beauty. Streets Of Love is both good and bad.
Agreed on pretty much your whole statement - not so sure about DB; but I'd add 'Infamy', and the one about G.Bush

Hmm, Infamy is probably the only song you can sing some from without relistening to the album.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: October 8, 2016 03:49

Do you think the RS will 'use' Mr. Was as the producer/ involved in the new album material?
Does he have a lifetime contract?
Maybe the RS are deflecting politely?
Or does Mr. Was automatically get booked with them for everything?
I'm just curious.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: October 8, 2016 03:51

I think you can count on Don Was being there, 35.

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: October 8, 2016 07:32

wonderboy
It used to be when the 'hit the wall' they would keep playing, try the song a different way, go to a different song. We've all heard the story of Keith playing the Tumbling Dice chord for 12 straight hours.

Then you are not listening to what he was saying. He only said they hit a wall on one song they were working on and to try to get around they played a blues song. Because they enjoyed playing the little Walter song they played another and another so instead of going back to the new song after the mood change they stuck to playing blues.
I bet they were hitting a wall on every record on certain songs because that's just what happens. They probably most of the time played a blues song to get around it and get back to the song but never kept playing the covers.

It's interesting how people can make the opposite conclusion of something that is so clearly explained in the interview.

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: October 8, 2016 08:08

Wuudy
wonderboy

Then you are not listening to what he was saying. He only said they hit a wall on one song they were working on and to try to get around they played a blues song. Because they enjoyed playing the little Walter song they played another and another so instead of going back to the new song after the mood change they stuck to playing blues.
I bet they were hitting a wall on every record on certain songs because that's just what happens. They probably most of the time played a blues song to get around it and get back to the song but never kept playing the covers.

It's interesting how people can make the opposite conclusion of something that is so clearly explained in the interview.

Exactly. It isn't like he was saying we tried for a few weeks and they just couldn't get any new material so they had to resort to a covers album ...

They were at a stand still during one of their songs (yes.. it even happens with them) or in between and did some blues and it was so good they did an album.

They had been in the studio a <at least> few times since then (April .. June.. August) .. working on the new stuff.

Ian

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: October 8, 2016 09:40

Palace Revolution 2000
Monsoon Ragoon
Palace Revolution 2000
Monsoon Ragoon

I think Infamy is a great unique song. It sounds like a rehearsal, but a GREAT rehearsal. She Saw Me Coming sounds like a botched (X-Pensive Winos) rehearsal.
And I like Sweet Neo-Con. Great unique Jagger song.

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: October 8, 2016 11:03

...we have to understand they "hit the wall" at these sessions and this very day..and not the others weeks..when they were productive.!.BBC article brings confusion..!

Posted by: rod ()
Date: October 8, 2016 12:13

Wuudy
wonderboy

totally agree wuudy

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: October 8, 2016 12:25

Simply...Is it possible having a 10/12 decent Rock'n'roll original songs album (after 12 years)thumbs upcool smiley?!

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: October 8, 2016 12:55

This is the audio of the original interview on BBC6 - you can hear him say that they hit the wall "on one song - as one does - no big deal..."

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Posted by: Socrates1 ()
Date: October 8, 2016 16:03

Palace Revolution 2000
Monsoon Ragoon
Palace Revolution 2000
Monsoon Ragoon

Keith said he thought Sweet Neocon was about Condoleezza Rice.

Not to belabor the point... But Steel Wheels and ABB don't have any fans. We all seem to like a few songs from each of those albums, but overall they're not very good. Different Stones fans have different preferences.

Voodoo Lounge and Bridges To Babylon were very well recorded albums. Those two albums do have their own cult-followings within the realm of Stones fandom. Some people really like Voodoo Lounge. I don't care for it because it's not my thing. However, I like most of Bridges To Babylon as an album.

The two big stinkers, in the entire Stones catalogue, are Steel Wheels and A Bigger Bang -- that's a fact -- yup, those were the only two digitally recorded Stones albums.

Blue & Lonesome should be great because they recorded it the right way.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-08 16:27 by Socrates1.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 8, 2016 18:55

VOODOOSEBI
I hope the new album will sound better, cause the Spotify mix is horrible, too.

Just Your Fool sounds like only Keith is playing guitar on it on Spotify. It's a weird mix.

Date: October 8, 2016 18:59

Monsoon Ragoon
Palace Revolution 2000
Monsoon Ragoon

I deleted the horrible Streets Of Love, the pathetic Sweet Neo Con and the boring Oh No Not You Again. 13 songs, 50 minutes.

Date: October 8, 2016 19:55

waterrats
GasLightStreet
The thread title is out of context with the quote.

"Around day three we just hit a wall... and Keith suggested that, to cleanse the creative palette, we played Blue and Lonesome, the Little Walter song.

Well, there's something important missing in that quote, if I listened carefully what Don said:

Around day three we just hit a wall ON ONE SONG...

I think, that's crucial, right?

"There was no set plan to do a cover version album. We;d gone in the studio to cutting some new songs, both Keith and Mick have some great new songs. And... around day three we just hit a, hit a wall on one song, as one does, no big deal..." is what he said.

It's kind of taken out of context. It's click bait.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 9, 2016 09:03

When was the last time Keith wrote a complete song that Mick simply sang on? Or even just brushed up the lyrics a bit? This used to be fairly common. It seems that they don't write together any more at all, unless Keith just comes up with a riff and Mick does the rest. Their last effort, Doom & Gloom, and One More Shot was a perfect example of Mick still able to write songs, and Keith sort of stuck in B-side hell. I guess I'm one of the few here not impressed at all by Keith's solo album. I think Keith is the one that may be done as a songwriter.

Date: October 9, 2016 09:24

Socrates1
Palace Revolution 2000
Monsoon Ragoon
Palace Revolution 2000
Monsoon Ragoon

Not to belabor the point... But Steel Wheels and ABB don't have any fans. We all seem to like a few songs from each of those albums, but overall they're not very good. Different Stones fans have different preferences.

Voodoo Lounge and Bridges To Babylon were very well recorded albums. Those two albums do have their own cult-followings within the realm of Stones fandom. Some people really like Voodoo Lounge. I don't care for it because it's not my thing. However, I like most of Bridges To Babylon as an album.

The two big stinkers, in the entire Stones catalogue, are Steel Wheels and A Bigger Bang -- that's a fact -- yup, those were the only two digitally recorded Stones albums.

I like SW, and I think it was better recorded than VL and B2B.

However, the production on SW is a bit too slick in places. But most songs sounds really good, imo.

Date: October 9, 2016 12:09

Socrates1
Palace Revolution 2000
Monsoon Ragoon
Palace Revolution 2000
Monsoon Ragoon

That's very perceptive Socrates ( haha, I like saying that), re. those late era albums. IAW you on VL and B2B. I like B2B a lot, and do not care for VL too much. And ABB just comes off as way too rushed, and Jagger-in-business-mode-like. Plus it is just too long.
But re Sw; I used to be able to say that Steel Wheels was my least favorite Stones album. What made all the difference in the world for me, was to switch over to the rough version of the album. The booted tracks that came out. "Trainig Wheels", and even one boot before that. The songs took on a whole new life.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: October 9, 2016 15:55

Palace Revolution 2000
Socrates1
Palace Revolution 2000
Monsoon Ragoon
Palace Revolution 2000
Monsoon Ragoon

That's very perceptive Socrates ( haha, I like saying that), re. those late era albums. IAW you on VL and B2B. I like B2B a lot, and do not care for VL too much. And ABB just comes off as way too rushed, and Jagger-in-business-mode-like. Plus it is just too long.
But re Sw; I used to be able to say that Steel Wheels was my least favorite Stones album. What made all the difference in the world for me, was to switch over to the rough version of the album. The booted tracks that came out. "Trainig Wheels", and even one boot before that. The songs took on a whole new life.

Yes - although I own a copy of the official Steel Wheels, it's the Monitor Mixes that I listen to and enjoy.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: October 9, 2016 16:28

Green Lady
Palace Revolution 2000
Socrates1
Palace Revolution 2000
Monsoon Ragoon
Palace Revolution 2000
Monsoon Ragoon

Yes - although I own a copy of the official Steel Wheels, it's the Monitor Mixes that I listen to and enjoy.

Very very true. Jeroen

Date: October 9, 2016 23:28

Socrates1

He did.

I thought the song was about Condoleezza Rice (grins). There is definitely a fight on.
- Keith Richards, July 2005

Mick didn't specify though:

It is not really aimed at anyone. It's not aimed, personally aimed, at President Bush. It wouldn't be called Sweet New Con if it was. It is certainly very critical of certain policies of the administration, but so what! Lots of people are critical.
- Mick Jagger, August 2005

[timeisonourside.com]

And yet, as it's been pointed out over the years, nary a word about the song that is A. much better and B. way more specific, Dangerous Beauty. This is what Mick said about it:

You're almost the first person to bring that up. I never hustled that one. But, yes, it's pretty strong.
- Mick Jagger, August 2005, speaking to someone pointing out that the
lyrics are about the Abu Gharaib prison abuse scandal

[timeisonourside.com]

Socrates1

That's pretty funny that their worst album is completely left out of the equation.

BLUE AND LONESOME is probably all Pro Tools only because I've not seen any mention of analog tape being used. Not that that really means that though.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: October 9, 2016 23:45

alimente
open-g
wonderboy
Don also said "Both Keith and Mick have some great new songs," perhaps not enough, what do I know.
I do like the approach of picking up whatever music is floating in the air and everyone feels comfortable with.
putting your head through the wall requires much more power and is usually painful.and what if there's another concrete wall behind the first?

the easiness of this production might colour off on their next one.
hope so anyway.

Whatever Don Was says, must be ok'ed by his bosses beforehand, and is nothing more than made-up promo chat for the blues album. Clapton there in the next studio just a coincidence? Nonsense, it was planned beforehand. The story that Clapton just came over from the close-by studio, listened, got enthusiastic and joined in just sounds better, even romantic for the general public.

It's the same with the story that the Stones were in the studio trying to create new music "on the spot" when on day 3, they "hit a wall" and started playing the blues. They just don't go into the studio without careful planning and pre-preduction these days, in order to save time (and money, of course). So even if they, the professionals they really are, "hit the wall" with one song, they simply try a different one. Happened before, happens with all kinds of artists all over the world, so no big deal really. It's just a better story next year when the new album of original stuff comes out to say that "the blues brought us back on track". I know this showbusiness long enough to not take the usual promo talk word for word.

I think Was' statement is also a clever move to counter possible media reaction like: "Oh, just blues covers on the new album? The Stones must have run out of original ideas!". Just stating the obvious beforehand is the best defense I can think of!

i think you just did what your accusing Don Was of doing....made it up.

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: October 10, 2016 00:23

GasLightStreet
VOODOOSEBI
I hope the new album will sound better, cause the Spotify mix is horrible, too.

Just Your Fool sounds like only Keith is playing guitar on it on Spotify. It's a weird mix.

Do yourself a favour and delete Spotify from your phone/computer. The sound quality on it is terrible. I deleted it a while ago and looked up which of these apps have the best sound quality and Spotify was listed very low because I think they use mp3 quality but apps like Deezer and apple music use much higher quality once I heard that one can never go back to Spotify.

Cheers,
Wuudy

Date: October 10, 2016 00:33

I've listened to other sites (PC) and various stuff on Spotify and Spotify usually sounds fine ie good ie good enough. Just listened to it on SoundCloud and it sounds exactly the same.

It's just a weird mix.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1216
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home