Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
BBC Article: "The Rolling Stones 'hit a wall' making new music, says Don Was"
Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: October 7, 2016 13:12

Re: BBC Article: "The Rolling Stones 'hit a wall' making new music, says Don Was"
Date: October 7, 2016 13:43

Great, thanks for posting!

But it should be in here.

Re: BBC Article: "The Rolling Stones 'hit a wall' making new music, says Don Was"
Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: October 7, 2016 13:49

This tells us something we all feared and suspected. They simply didn't have enough ideas for new material. I wonder if the album of new stuff will ever actually come out.

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Date: October 7, 2016 13:51

HonkeyTonkFlash
This tells us something we all feared and suspected. They simply didn't have enough ideas for new material. I wonder if the album of new stuff will ever actually come out.

According to Georgelicks they have cut 6-7 self-penned songs already, so there is hope indeed smiling smiley

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: October 7, 2016 14:20

HonkeyTonkFlash

I wonder if the album of new stuff will ever actually come out.

The [www.bbc.com] article says at the end:

Was added that the Stones had not abandoned plans to complete an album of new material. "Both Keith and Mick have some great new songs", he told Matt Everitt. "They're far from done."

Posted by: Bluesstone ()
Date: October 7, 2016 15:38

Irix
HonkeyTonkFlash

I wonder if the album of new stuff will ever actually come out.

The [www.bbc.com] article says at the end:

Was added that the Stones had not abandoned plans to complete an album of new material. "Both Keith and Mick have some great new songs", he told Matt Everitt. "They're far from done."

The Stones or the Songs? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: snarf2014 ()
Date: October 7, 2016 15:53

the Stones, not the songs. Listen to the interview with Don Was

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: October 7, 2016 16:14

HonkeyTonkFlash

I think maybe they have ideas but can't seem to transform them into finished songs. Either Mick and Keith just can't stand working together at all, or possibly Keith has trouble concentrating.
I'm fine with saying we don't need another album of new material. Boys, you did well, you can stop now if you want.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: October 7, 2016 16:39

I can't believe they didn't bother to make some sort of pre-producion of the new numbers before entering into studio...eye rolling smiley

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: October 7, 2016 16:57

wonderboy
HonkeyTonkFlash

I think maybe they have ideas but can't seem to transform them into finished songs. Either Mick and Keith just can't stand working together at all, or possibly Keith has trouble concentrating.
I'm fine with saying we don't need another album of new material. Boys, you did well, you can stop now if you want.

Nonetheless, also new material of their own is very much wished for by me and most probably some other posters.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 7, 2016 17:06

The thread title is out of context with the quote.

"We'd gone in the studio to start cutting some new songs," said Was, who has worked with the band since 1994.

"Around day three we just hit a wall... and Keith suggested that, to cleanse the creative palette, we played Blue and Lonesome, the Little Walter song.

Why was there no pre-production ie demoing? Who the hell knows.

This gives weight to why they go back to previous recording work to finish ideas.

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: October 7, 2016 17:16

Witness
wonderboy
HonkeyTonkFlash

Nonetheless, also new material of their own is very much wished for by me and most probably some other posters.

New songs for the album after this one is very much wished for indeed. Let Ronnie help out with a song or two, I would suggest.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-07 17:18 by barbabang.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: October 7, 2016 17:25

The exact quote of Was from the interview is: "'round day three we just hit the wall on one song"

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: October 7, 2016 17:30

Keith proved with his solo album that his creative juices are still there, its just not flowing as much as 40 some years ago.
Am sure a new album of new material will emerge at some point next year. It would be more reassuring though if they could commit more studio time than a few weeks at a stretch.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: October 7, 2016 18:01

They've always defaulted to playing the blues whilst waiting for the muse.

The only difference this time is that somebody has been enlightened enough to realise that other folks might want to hear it too smiling smiley

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: October 7, 2016 18:08

They could come back in the studio later this month...Last Vegas Show will be on Oct.22...Then they'll go in New York for Exhibitionism and there they could recording for 2/3 weeks...If they want, new album could be ready in May/June together European Tour!

Posted by: waterrats ()
Date: October 7, 2016 18:31

GasLightStreet
The thread title is out of context with the quote.

"Around day three we just hit a wall... and Keith suggested that, to cleanse the creative palette, we played Blue and Lonesome, the Little Walter song.

Well, there's something important missing in that quote, if I listened carefully what Don said:

Around day three we just hit a wall ON ONE SONG...

I think, that's crucial, right?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-07 18:32 by waterrats.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 7, 2016 18:43

You think something was left out or the "..." is just in place of a pause?

Could be both!

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: October 7, 2016 18:59

Totally taken out of context. Listen to the whole 6 minute interview if anyone has the attention span anymore.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: October 7, 2016 20:26

Maindefender
Totally taken out of context. Listen to the whole 6 minute interview if anyone has the attention span anymore.
Ok, I just listend for the first time. glad I did, its not the attention span tho, it's that frikkin' abominable Adobe Flash software that lets one miss out.
why does BBC do this?

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: October 7, 2016 20:26

Nobody needs 15 weak, but new tracks like the four on Forty Licks or the two on Grrr. A Bigger Bang was something else though, but also ruined by the 3, 4 weak tracks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-07 20:29 by Monsoon Ragoon.

Posted by: Socrates1 ()
Date: October 7, 2016 20:59

Thanks for the link. Cool that they let the tape roll. It's so funny I thought the album was primarily acoustic. Did I read about acoustic songs, too? Does anybody else know what I'm reading?

Date: October 7, 2016 21:02

Monsoon Ragoon
Nobody needs 15 weak, but new tracks like the four on Forty Licks or the two on Grrr. A Bigger Bang was something else though, but also ruined by the 3, 4 weak tracks.

Which do you consider the weak tracks off ABB, Monsoon?

Posted by: Socrates1 ()
Date: October 7, 2016 21:09

That's another thing everybody started doing in the digital age, cramming too many songs on CDs. What would you choose, eight to ten great songs or fifteen to eighteen pretty good songs? More is not always better.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: October 7, 2016 21:40

Monsoon Ragoon
ABB was ruined not only (and not exclusively) by 3 or 4 weak tracks but with brickwall production.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: October 7, 2016 21:45

It used to be when the 'hit the wall' they would keep playing, try the song a different way, go to a different song. We've all heard the story of Keith playing the Tumbling Dice chord for 12 straight hours.
I think Don is hinting that it might be over for new music.

Posted by: VOODOOSEBI ()
Date: October 7, 2016 22:12

ironbelly
Monsoon Ragoon
ABB was ruined not only (and not exclusively) by 3 or 4 weak tracks but with brickwall production.

Exactly!!

To listen to ABB on a good system is a real pain in assangry smiley Ears are bleedin'

I hope the new album will sound better, cause the Spotify mix is horrible, too.

I cross my fingers, that the sound will be a mix of stripped (which is maybe the best sounding stones album, at least the studio tracks, and Neil youngs 'Greendale' (very nice garage band sound)

Let's seesmileys with beer

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: October 7, 2016 22:17

Palace Revolution 2000
Monsoon Ragoon

Which do you consider the weak tracks off ABB, Monsoon?

Biggest Mistake, She Saw Me Coming, Dangerous Beauty. Streets Of Love is both good and bad.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: October 7, 2016 22:27

Well there damn well better be a track called "Hit A Wall" amongst the originals or this is all conjecture...

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: October 7, 2016 22:27

wonderboy
It used to be when the 'hit the wall' they would keep playing, try the song a different way, go to a different song. We've all heard the story of Keith playing the Tumbling Dice chord for 12 straight hours.
I think Don is hinting that it might be over for new music.
Don also said "Both Keith and Mick have some great new songs," perhaps not enough, what do I know.
I do like the approach of picking up whatever music is floating in the air and everyone feels comfortable with.
putting your head through the wall requires much more power and is usually painful.and what if there's another concrete wall behind the first?

the easiness of this production might colour off on their next one.
hope so anyway.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1826
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home