Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...910111213141516171819Next
Current Page: 17 of 19
Re: Private Rolling Stones show at Gillette Stadium, Foxboro/Boston Tuesday October 25
Posted by: sarahunwin ()
Date: October 27, 2016 06:52

stone66
For those not in the know, the Boston Herald, like the New York Post and London's Daily Mail, is a lowbrow tabloid that was once owned by Rupert Murdoch.

You're all familiar with Rupert Murdoch, the man who once met with the owners and managers of New York's top department stores to appeal for advertising support for his New York Post only to be told, "Mr. Murdoch, your readers are our shoplifters."

The Stones retiring from touring one of their biggest markets when there are two more albums on the way? Why would they confide such information in a sports executive with whom they have no actual personal relationship? Just because you're a grand one-time patron, it doesn't mean you're also an insider as well as a confidant.

And he's married to Jerry Hall smiling smiley

Re: Private Rolling Stones show at Gillette Stadium, Foxboro/Boston Tuesday October 25
Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: October 27, 2016 07:07

Since they have two upcoming album releases, my hope is the band will be back for some more American shows. In my opinion it would be a shame to have this private show be their last show in the USA. However, catching them in Europe would probably be a very good idea especially with all this final show talk. I don't
doubt the band will be slowing down but let's hope the "final show" stuff is all
a bunch of hype.

Posted by: TE ()
Date: October 27, 2016 09:55

mattleeuk
Smallest I've been too... (other than an impromptu rehearsal) only a handful deep across the front and lots of space for people to dance behind. I had heard 500 but I think it was nearer 300-400. Certainly it was intimate and the band really attacked the shortish set giving it everything they had. An absolutely honor to be there. Leaving for London in a three hours but I'm back to NYC for the exhibition opening (make sure all my stuff made it across the pond).

Hope you make it back in time for Wyman!!!

TE
Oslo

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: October 27, 2016 13:41

Lem Motlow, just out of curiosity are you a New England Patriots fan ? I am a New York Football Giants fan .

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: October 27, 2016 15:37

Boston Celtics co-owner Wyc Grousbeck talks about Tuesday's show - [wzlx.cbslocal.com]

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: October 27, 2016 16:02

According to the Boston Globe, those invited received a small box in the mail containing a white rock with the printed words: “Gillette Stadium Tuesday Evening October 25, 2016. Very Special Live Performance by The Rolling Stones.

Special peformance my arse.....they got warhorses just like everyone else and they didn't even get a blues number............

When I heard about this $4 mill show, I remembered Johnny Rotten's final comment on stage after the Sex Pistols' final show in San Francisco - 1978....."Ever feel like you've been had?". The setlist compounded that thought.

I've been a Stones fan since 1973 and even if I had the dosh to pay millions, I still wouldn't pay more than £1000 each plus expenses to see them play my back garden..........they're good but not that good...........

If I had $4 mill to spare I would rather give it to my local animal shelter or some such like..........

Can't blame the Stones for taking it though...........who wouldn't for one and a half hours of what 'you' always do...........+ a champagne buffet......

A bit shabby on the long standing paying fans though if that is it in the US. Cancelling in Vegas, saving his voice for Robert Kraft?..........great.....(Mind you, I gave up trying to second guess MJ's philosophy when he bent over for the 'queen of England'...........

What there is of it, the music's still ok though, so................

Edited 11 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-27 22:24 by EddieByword.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: October 27, 2016 17:46

Special peformance my arse.....they got warhorses just like everyone else and they didn't even get a blues number............

No blues, no ballad, no Rambler, no choir - What was left looks like it was well performed, but I think what Robert Kraft got for his money was mostly bragging rights.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: October 27, 2016 18:03

Green Lady

No blues, no ballad, no Rambler, no choir - What was left looks like it was well performed, but I think what Robert Kraft got for his money was mostly bragging rights.

That sounds about right......reading the reports, I think the vibe in there was exemplified by the comment attributed to a guest, "Turn it up for the poor people" (out on the sidewalk (arf, arf - titter, titter......eye rolling smiley.....)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-27 18:05 by EddieByword.

Date: October 27, 2016 18:04

Green Lady

I agree but they did get Street Fighting Man and When the Whip Comes Down. 2 songs they should have played in Vegas in place of a couple of warhorses. I am sure I am not alone feeling this

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: October 27, 2016 19:27

TheGreek
Lem Motlow, just out of curiosity are you a New England Patriots fan ? I am a New York Football Giants fan .

niners-though at the moment they seem to be busy protesting instead of playing football and we have a coach who has no business in the nfl.

i say good things about the krafts from talking to people who have worked for them.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: October 27, 2016 19:28

georgemcdonnell314
Green Lady

I agree but they did get Street Fighting Man and When the Whip Comes Down. 2 songs they should have played in Vegas in place of a couple of warhorses. I am sure I am not alone feeling this

Doesn't seem reasonable to me to look at previous or post set-lists and admonish them for playing this one that time or that one another. None of us have any idea really re the methodology that goes into the set-list. I think it's very likely Vegas was heavily impacted by Mick's throat issues both in number of songs and ones chosen.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 27, 2016 19:41

georgemcdonnell314
Green Lady

Well they should have played those two in Vegas in addition to the warhorses, PLUS a couple more. Even a couple of instrumentals would have sufficed since Mick was "sick".
Instead it was an abbreviated 18 song setlist with Mick at subpar level. A fun show no doubt (especially if you payed below face value), but really a whimper by any definition.
They left the US with unfinished business as far as I'm concerned, and if that's it, they'll have gone out with a whimper vs. a bang. Not to mention cancelling a show leaving thousands disappointed and disillusioned.
Not the way to go imo, and it's kind of sad when put in to that context. In hindsight, maybe they should have ended it all right after the two Desert Trip shows, but greediness won the day.
Hoping they come back one way or another, and even though I probably won't go (unless really cheap), it will help erase the stigma of the Vegas cancellation, the 18 song setlist for the 22nd, and the private show.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-27 19:44 by Hairball.

Date: October 27, 2016 19:55

MisterDDDD
lem motlow
that visual of the fans standing out in the cold listening to the stones do a private gig says it all.i'm not mad at them for making money and not mad at the krafts for hiring them.the stones are a good band and the krafts are good people,no problem. but they don't cater to their fans and i see no reason to cater to them.

the days of jumping every time they play are over,i've seen them enough times.the "could be the last time " thing just gets a shrug from me at this point,when someone says "but it's the stones" i'm more likely to say "so what" .never felt like that before but i couldn't care less now.even if they made a great record,which is doubtful,we'd only get a song or two and then the usual set for a ridiculous price.no thanks-you get what you give.

Sorry you feel that way, and hope I never do.
The visual of the fans standing out in the cold listening to the band says it all to me as well, but in a completely different language.

I see fans that love their band enough to try to get in or even get close enough to hear them. Still. Just as I have stood outside the Fonda or rehearsals, and as many, many fans have stood outside club gigs or corporate gigs or rehearsals and since... Forever.

well god bless you and all the diehards.i'll always listen to the band and i'll have the new record the day it comes out. but as far as the live shows i'm done.if they put out a great new record in 17 and play 3 or 4 songs off it and throw in a couple of blues tunes on a 20 city arena tour i would reconsider.

the problem is the band isn't working-these big festivals and private show cash grabs are just a quick run through of the hits for a payday.everyone says"they are smiling and look really into it" no shit,they're making about a million dollars an hour.i'll pay for music and art,but someone selling a legacy for quick cash isn't my thing.so after seeing every tour since 75 i'm pulling a bill wyman,it's been fun.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: October 27, 2016 20:29

What a Tour !
With a (very) average first Desert Trip show...

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: Shesarainbow ()
Date: October 27, 2016 20:46

Definitely a sad way to go out, but we still have memories of many, many amazing shows over the last 40 years.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: October 27, 2016 21:27

If it is true that they won't come back and play in the US, I am disappointed with the" private show" ending their american touring career. But it is their band and they do what they need to do.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: October 27, 2016 21:44

Quite a tangent here, about the private show being the last US show ever., I really really doubt that.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: October 27, 2016 21:54

bye bye johnny
Boston Celtics co-owner Wyc Grousbeck talks about Tuesday's show - [wzlx.cbslocal.com]

*whew* I had to stop a few minutes in- man. The co-Celtics owner who called in was completely awed, I was catching it, too much, a small intimate party w/ the Rolling Stones live on fire. And one of the radio dudes laughs just like my brother, mid-western MN
Anyway.
ETA: 'too much' as in emotional for me (but I'm a sap, and really love the RS)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-27 22:13 by 35love.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: October 27, 2016 22:24

MKjan
Quite a tangent here, about the private show being the last US show ever., I really really doubt that.

Tangent? I posted a link to Instagram photos with the caption
'Final RS show'
and we have the purchaser of the party in print stating 'last American show'
Nothing else on the books.
Pretty good reason to speculate.

Posted by: Long John Stoner ()
Date: October 27, 2016 22:36

Rokyfan
Hank M you have it right:
>It is all about elitism. It is about 1%ers vulgarly showing off their wealth to the exclusion of most everyone else. It is like the wealthy privately buying a beautiful work art to prevent it from being displayed in a museum or art gallery. They get off it being theirs, and theirs only. > and the rest of your post.

Who is not there (us, the common people, whatever) is more important than who is (the Stones). They go places we don't and can't, that's why they are the one percent. That's why they pay millions for a private show. The Private part is what counts, not the Show. This is the world of the Rolling Stones. They do not need us anymore for tour revenue, they found a better idea.

Christ, this is hilarious.

You act as if you own them.

Posted by: bam ()
Date: October 27, 2016 22:46

We don't own them. There is irony, though, in playing SFM to this audience at this event. The irony would be increased if this were their last US show.

Date: October 27, 2016 22:47

they'll be back-it's the last american show on this go round.there are alot of ways they could go,do 12 shows with four of them being private gigs for big money and eight small shows with lucky dip style tickets and play what they want.there's no way they could be completely happy playing those same songs over and over,maybe they are.i don't know.

they could do one last stadium tour and have the up front seats high priced for the big money and the rest cheap seats to pack the place,all of that would require they stopped squeezing out every last dollar-something which i'm afraid they're incapable of doing.

for the life of me i'll never understand why they would have empty chairs where fans could be.they've tarped off the upper deck in a stadium,common sense would tell you to sell the damn things for $25 bucks,it's mind boggling.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: October 27, 2016 23:02

lem motlow

they could do one last stadium tour and have the up front seats high priced for the big money and the rest cheap seats to pack the place,all of that would require they stopped squeezing out every last dollar-something which i'm afraid they're incapable of doing.

for the life of me i'll never understand why they would have empty chairs where fans could be.they've tarped off the upper deck in a stadium,common sense would tell you to sell the damn things for $25 bucks,it's mind boggling.

Because that's not how any of this works..
They just did a stadium tour here (Zip Code) where prices were fairly reasonable (I went to five- paid no more than $225 and saw zero tarps))
If everyone knew they could just get in for $25 .. how fast do you think the others would sell? Not very. This is a business.The promoters pay the fee and then set the prices. As for fan friendly prices I have been to four shows where I paid Lucky Dip prices (including $39 for lower bowl this last Vegas show) set aside for fans

Date: October 27, 2016 23:37

MisterDDDD

Because that's not how any of this works..
They just did a stadium tour here (Zip Code) where prices were fairly reasonable (I went to five- paid no more than $225 and saw zero tarps))
If everyone knew they could just get in for $25 .. how fast do you think the others would sell? Not very. This is a business.The promoters pay the fee and then set the prices. As for fan friendly prices I have been to four shows where I paid Lucky Dip prices (including $39 for lower bowl this last Vegas show) set aside for fans

i totally understand what you're saying- that was just a theory i had if they did another voodoo style monster one last time.

it's not lost on me that the band are human beings and the 40 date ship has sailed.
charlie is 75 years old and i'm sure he goes along because mick and keith talk him into it,i don't blame him one bit.he should be home with his wife and his horses living out the lifestyle he earned.
ronnie has 2 babies at home and behind the rock and roll icon is probably someone who would love to be home with his family.

the better path would be what i put forth first-play a handful of shows,some private for huge cash and some for the fans-we''ll see.it would be better for them and us not to play the warhorses at festivals for the rest of their lives but it's not my band,my life or my money on the line.one thing i know,in one form or another they will be back.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: October 27, 2016 23:47

bam
We don't own them. There is irony, though, in playing SFM to this audience at this event. The irony would be increased if this were their last US show.

Everyone cites this, but isn't SFM about how the singer can't so much join in the revolution in the streets but just plays in a rock and roll band?

Posted by: bam ()
Date: October 28, 2016 00:18

"Everyone cites this, but isn't SFM about how the singer can't so much join in the revolution in the streets but just plays in a rock and roll band?"

That's one interpretation, but not the most common one. See [en.m.wikipedia.org] for a discussion. In Chicago, we certainly understood it as catching the spirit of the times, with the Stones saying which side they were on.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-28 00:19 by bam.

Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: October 28, 2016 00:28

What can you say? Its been Cabaret since '89.
Sad truth is with their respective ages health issues and lifestyle choices over the years this really could be the final US Rolling Stones show and that would be very sad.

Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: October 28, 2016 00:37

lem motlow
they'll be back-it's the last american show on this go round.there are alot of ways they could go,do 12 shows with four of them being private gigs for big money and eight small shows with lucky dip style tickets and play what they want.there's no way they could be completely happy playing those same songs over and over,maybe they are.i don't know.

I truly hope that you are right, and I am forced to eat my words. But someone very high up stated "2016 is the end for US tours. They don't want to go far from home any more". BV said "if you want to see them, prepare to travel".

And, consider this. They have had to be "on the run" from the taxman since 1971, never staying in one place long enough to be taxed. I think they made some album where the title referenced it, something about "exile on main street". Maybe they don't wanna be tax exiles any more.

Posted by: Shesarainbow ()
Date: October 28, 2016 00:50

Is it just my imagination, or are The Who going out in better style, and with a bit more dignity? I saw The Who twice this year, and The Stones twice this year. Both times The Who put on a much better, more passionate show. Seemed to connect with the fans a bit better as well.

Of course The Who have been on a farewell tour ever since 1989, and have had a lot more practice smiling smiley

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: October 28, 2016 01:39

To clarify: the second Vegas show was advertised, by the promoter and The Rolling Stones, as the last US show THIS year (2016). As far as I know the only "last US show ever" comment, was made in reference to the recent private show. This comment does not appear to have been made by the band but instead by the person or organization paying the four million for the private show. Personally I attribute the "last show ever" comment to his ego and not to fact.

However anything can happen between now and the next time. Beacause of the unknown it does seem like a mistake to have canceled the Vegas show which
would have been attended by many long term fans and seemed to be sold out (17,000
paying fans). Then play this private show (300 invited guests) only a week later -thus ending any scheduled live performances for the US or anywhere.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...910111213141516171819Next
Current Page: 17 of 19

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1940
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home