Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...910111213141516171819Next
Current Page: 15 of 19
Re: Private Rolling Stones show at Gillette Stadium, Foxboro/Boston Tuesday October 25
Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: October 26, 2016 21:08

TheGreek
Robert Kraft has virtue and honesty and would never lie or embellish the truth just the same with Deflategate when his football team was deflating the footballs for Tom Brady .Oh wait a minnute the NFL suspended and fined Tom Brady for deflategate .Kraft should stick to his less than honest ways of running his football club .

Perfect show to play 'Winning Ugly'............but no...............

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-26 21:08 by EddieByword.

Re: Private Rolling Stones show at Gillette Stadium, Foxboro/Boston Tuesday October 25
Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: October 26, 2016 21:08

35love
Why can't the RS do a NY gig for Exibitionism ?!
They are ready / fit
and need to sell some tickets, no?
Oh well. I'm not going to NY anyway, can't get away,
just seems like a good idea,
especially after Kraft threw down the gauntlet, if he indeed said that
but indeed maybe it's true
I said to my H after viewing last night's clips
(and thanks again Matt Lee!)
Well the boys looked tired
to which my 46 yr old H laughed
uh, that's how they always look (meaning old)
maybe we (the hardcore fans) and them (the RS)
don't want to admit it

There are lots of things fans don't admit... for years...

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: October 26, 2016 21:14

I've been reading these posts with curiosity. Looking at this from a little distance, I can see that many fans are disappointed and/or pissed about this Gillette Stadium show and what it represents. As a long time Stones fan, I have already wrapped my head around the fact that the Stones have been a money making business machine since they returned and reunited to the stage in 1989's Steel Wheels tour. Michael Cohl essentially changed the music business forever at that time (although the Stones had started to flirt with corporate sponsorship via Jovan perfume on the 1981 tour). From reading Bill German's Under Their Thumb, it was his perpective that the major reason Jagger agreed to do the 1989 tour was for the money. The Stones may have given the perspection of revolution and counter culture with Street Fighting Man and other anthems from the 60's when they first came around-but make no mistake about it-they have evolved into a giant money making machine and this latest "private" show at Gillette represents senior citizens at the end of their game cashing in and getting whatever they can by riding on a nostalgia legacy of great music that we all grew up with as the soundtrack of our lives. In a lot of ways, I don't blame them-they gave us over 50 years of their lives. Who thought we would have seen them again (with Mick Taylor in 2012-2013?) over the last few years. However, as a paying customer-it does not mean that I have to be a willing participant and pay a king's ransom to see a setlist chuck full of the same tunes they have been peddling for the last several years now either. If it had not been for my son's insistence, I would have skipped the last US shows I saw in 2013 and 2015.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: October 26, 2016 21:15

lem motlow
TheGreek
Robert Kraft has virtue and honesty and would never lie or embellish the truth just the same with Deflategate when his football team was deflating the footballs for Tom Brady .Oh wait a minnute the NFL suspended and fined Tom Brady for deflategate .Kraft should stick to his less than honest ways of running his football club .

you have to be an american football fan because that's the only way anyone would say something this divorced from reality.

you actually think the chairman and ceo of the kraft group has anything to do with "running his football club"-i can see the board meeting now,"yeah we're gonna deflate the balls a couple of pounds,but we need a vote from the board of directors first,ok,get those ball boys in the meeting room,it's a go.."
When Tom Brady first got in trouble for Deflategate Robert Kraft put out a statement defending his star quarterback (nothing wrong with that ) then they went thru the appeals in the courts and the suspension and fines were set aside ,then The NFL conducted it's own investigation and the NFL found that Tom Brady was cheating .

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: October 26, 2016 21:18

Lem Motlow , you know the Stones do not make statements saying this is it for us we are done and retired .They just do not work like that at all .So all i was doing was calling BS on Robert Kraft .

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: October 26, 2016 21:21

"Patriots bigwig Robert Kraft told several hundred lucky guests at his private Rolling Stones concert at Gillette Stadium last night that they were seeing the final show Mick Jagger & Co. will ever do in this country, which, if true, is pretty big news for Stones fans!"

Posted by: bv ()
Date: October 26, 2016 21:42

Some have this romantic idea that Mick, Keith and the Stones are some sort of philanthropist group. Well read Keith's book "Life" again. Ever since their very first gig Keith counted the income in his notebooks. How much money they made on a gig. I do the same. You do the same. Money makes bread on the table. The more money you have the more money you want. If I or you had 100 million dollar to spend and we had everything, we could spend it for getting rid of malaria in Africa, or we could spend it on ourselves by hiring the Stones for a private show. Be honest. Really honest! Malaria aid, a private Stones show or unlimited beer for the rest of your life?

Bjornulf

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: October 26, 2016 21:49

Kurt
"Patriots bigwig Robert Kraft told several hundred lucky guests at his private Rolling Stones concert at Gillette Stadium last night that they were seeing the final show Mick Jagger & Co. will ever do in this country, which, if true, is pretty big news for Stones fans!"

That Boston Herald article also said the Stones just played two shows in Vegas.

Writer made the same mistake in a piece published a day earlier - an error which was pointed out by a reader.

[www.bostonherald.com]

Posted by: stone66 ()
Date: October 26, 2016 21:51

For those not in the know, the Boston Herald, like the New York Post and London's Daily Mail, is a lowbrow tabloid that was once owned by Rupert Murdoch.

You're all familiar with Rupert Murdoch, the man who once met with the owners and managers of New York's top department stores to appeal for advertising support for his New York Post only to be told, "Mr. Murdoch, your readers are our shoplifters."

The Stones retiring from touring one of their biggest markets when there are two more albums on the way? Why would they confide such information in a sports executive with whom they have no actual personal relationship? Just because you're a grand one-time patron, it doesn't mean you're also an insider as well as a confidant.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: October 26, 2016 22:02

jumpontopofmebaby
35love
Kurt
bam
[www.bostonherald.com]

Final show they will ever do in this country? The Boston Herald quoting Kraft.

...And I'm back to being disgusted again.

Ah, he's saving face. Boston Herald outted him (or was it Stones fans?)
on his ridic exorbitant price for a small party.
What's he gonna say to justify it? Besides
You want the best, you gotta pay.
I know how you're feeling Kurt, not making light of that.

Wowsa thats sucks if true. What a way to go out. Wonder how many times Mr Kraft had ever even seen them.

And I would say there is a lot of truth to that. No reason for him you say that at all. HE had to have heard it from someone.

Roger Goodell forced Kraft to make the announcement. He's one powerful SOB. grinning smiley

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: October 26, 2016 22:03

Kurt
"Patriots bigwig Robert Kraft told several hundred lucky guests at his private Rolling Stones concert at Gillette Stadium last night that they were seeing the final show Mick Jagger & Co. will ever do in this country, which, if true, is pretty big news for Stones fans!"[/quote

We have to be realistic these guys are in their seventies now.They have played shows every year since 2012 and from this point onwards they are not going to take a few years off and then return to action.Apparently they will do some shows in Europe next year and maybe we get another album.
It is all going to be over much sooner rather than later.

Nate

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-26 22:07 by Nate.

Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: October 26, 2016 22:15

stone66
For those not in the know, the Boston Herald, like the New York Post and London's Daily Mail, is a lowbrow tabloid that was once owned by Rupert Murdoch.

You're all familiar with Rupert Murdoch, the man who once met with the owners and managers of New York's top department stores to appeal for advertising support for his New York Post only to be told, "Mr. Murdoch, your readers are our shoplifters."

The Stones retiring from touring one of their biggest markets when there are two more albums on the way? Why would they confide such information in a sports executive with whom they have no actual personal relationship? Just because you're a grand one-time patron, it doesn't mean you're also an insider as well as a confidant.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: October 26, 2016 22:15

TheGreek
lem motlow
TheGreek

you have to be an american football fan because that's the only way anyone would say something this divorced from reality.

you actually think the chairman and ceo of the kraft group has anything to do with "running his football club"-i can see the board meeting now,"yeah we're gonna deflate the balls a couple of pounds,but we need a vote from the board of directors first,ok,get those ball boys in the meeting room,it's a go.."
When Tom Brady first got in trouble for Deflategate Robert Kraft put out a statement defending his star quarterback (nothing wrong with that ) then they went thru the appeals in the courts and the suspension and fines were set aside ,then The NFL conducted it's own investigation and the NFL found that Tom Brady was cheating .

when something happens with one of his sports teams he has the lawyers look at it and write a statement for him to read.if you actually think robert kraft has anything to do with how the patriots conduct day to day business,i.e. the pressure of the footballs or any other controvery they get involved in you're kidding yourself.
in his world owning the patriots is like an average person buying uniforms for their local little league team,certainly not a major part of his business.if the knuckelheads do something stupid it has nothing to do with his personal charactor.he bought the team because he was a season ticket holder and didn't want them to leave town when they came up for sale.

you "calling bullshit" on robert kraft assumes the article some journalist wrote has validity,that's a pretty big leap of faith in todays world.

Posted by: Stones726 ()
Date: October 26, 2016 22:24

Very well thought out and to the point- also BV's comment below. I just don't get some of these people..

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: October 26, 2016 22:25

Sighunt
I've been reading these posts with curiosity. Looking at this from a little distance, I can see that many fans are disappointed and/or pissed about this Gillette Stadium show and what it represents. As a long time Stones fan, I have already wrapped my head around the fact that the Stones have been a money making business machine since they returned and reunited to the stage in 1989's Steel Wheels tour. Michael Cohl essentially changed the music business forever at that time (although the Stones had started to flirt with corporate sponsorship via Jovan perfume on the 1981 tour). From reading Bill German's Under Their Thumb, it was his perpective that the major reason Jagger agreed to do the 1989 tour was for the money. The Stones may have given the perspection of revolution and counter culture with Street Fighting Man and other anthems from the 60's when they first came around-but make no mistake about it-they have evolved into a giant money making machine and this latest "private" show at Gillette represents senior citizens at the end of their game cashing in and getting whatever they can by riding on a nostalgia legacy of great music that we all grew up with as the soundtrack of our lives. In a lot of ways, I don't blame them-they gave us over 50 years of their lives. Who thought we would have seen them again (with Mick Taylor in 2012-2013?) over the last few years. However, as a paying customer-it does not mean that I have to be a willing participant and pay a king's ransom to see a setlist chuck full of the same tunes they have been peddling for the last several years now either. If it had not been for my son's insistence, I would have skipped the last US shows I saw in 2013 and 2015.

The Stones have been drawing fire for their ticket prices and lack of fan support since 1969 when people were complaining about paying $7.50 (!!) a ticket on that tour. To seem like they were part of the hip counterculture, they said they would do a free concert on the West Coast (which turned into the disaster known as Altamont) - except they always expected to make money (like, a million bucks) off the anticipated film of said free concert.
According to Joel Selvin's new book 'Altamont', when authorities in San Francisco got wind The Stones were going to play in Golden Gate Park (it was supposed to be a secret) they denied permits, so the concert was moved to Sears Point Raceway, across the bay. When Jagger found out Filmways - who owned part of the speedway - wanted a hundred grand to have the concert there, he said no...and because Mick Jagger didn't want to part with any of his precious money, the concert - already being set up - was moved at the last minute to Altamont - where chaos - and history - ensued.

So greed has always been a prime motivator in The Stones' and Jaggers' camp. Just read your Stones history.

Posted by: Stones726 ()
Date: October 26, 2016 22:37

Tom Brady was not suspended for deflating footballs, it was for destroying his phone and impeding their investigation. maybe he had personal info about his wife/and personal life that he didn't want out there. It was also roger Goodell's ego. If you happened to watch that game, he only scored 1 touchdown with deflated balls. When the refs changed the balls at 1/2 time, he came out and threw 4 touchdowns lighting the team up like a road flare. Anyway, sorry for getting off topic here

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: October 26, 2016 22:49

Well, here is some more info/ photos from last night.
Notice sarahmcnamara Instagram photo says 'last RS show'
and charliewalk Instagram photo claims '300 peeps in a tent'

[patch.com]

ETA: correction, it says 'FINAL Rolling Stones show'

I'm not sure who I'm pissed at, the RS for ending America this way, or at
America, for being this way.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-26 22:53 by 35love.

Date: October 26, 2016 22:51

Stones726
Tom Brady was not suspended for deflating footballs, it was for destroying his phone and impeding their investigation. maybe he had personal info about his wife/and personal life that he didn't want out there. It was also roger Goodell's ego. If you happened to watch that game, he only scored 1 touchdown with deflated balls. When the refs changed the balls at 1/2 time, he came out and threw 4 touchdowns lighting the team up like a road flare. Anyway, sorry for getting off topic here

DO we need a new topic? called

DEFLATED BALLS

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: October 26, 2016 22:53

Rollin92
Right Stones get on a plane today and turn up at Bill's gig!
thumbs up

hot smiley

I withdrawn my earlier message in this thread:
"Thanks. Time to close this thread."

Maybe also because WHEN THE WHIP COMES DOWN gave me goosebumps from the YouTube clip.

And bv's post made me a HOME RUN:

Some have this romantic idea that Mick, Keith and the Stones are some sort of philanthropist group. Well read Keith's book "Life" again. Ever since their very first gig Keith counted the income in his notebooks. How much money they made on a gig. I do the same. You do the same. Money makes bread on the table. The more money you have the more money you want. If I or you had 100 million dollar to spend and we had everything, we could spend it for getting rid of malaria in Africa, or we could spend it on ourselves by hiring the Stones for a private show. Be honest. Really honest! Malaria aid, a private Stones show or unlimited beer for the rest of your life?

Bjornulf

Edit:

I would hire THE ROLLING STONES ofcourse if I had the money (honestly I don't give a shite 'bout other people's malaria, just like bv), but would not write "read Keith's book "Life" knowing it was written by a ghostwriter
smileys with beer

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-26 23:03 by RipThisBone.

Posted by: onestep ()
Date: October 26, 2016 23:01

bv

BV, I am no where close to being a millionaire, and I have already had the unlimited beer for the rest of my life.....smileys with beer

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: October 26, 2016 23:02

Maindefender
Roger Goodell forced Kraft to make the announcement. He's one powerful SOB. grinning smiley

oh for fcks sake...roger goodell works for kraft,his salary is paid by the 32 owners.they put out statements to the public that sort things out with the minimal amount of damage to the league as a whole,thus keeping the tv contracts safe and the ad dollars rolling in.

goodell is a puppet ..

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: October 26, 2016 23:04

The Stones on tour are a lot larger and a lot more than Mick, Keith, Ronnie and Charlie who don't need the money. Their tours provide paychecks for at least one hundred other people. I promise you all of them were pulling for that rumored Massachussets show to come through. I promise you none of them care where The Stones play as long as they can do a fair and good job and get a fair and good paycheck. Think of back up singers, hairdressers, wardrobe and equipment managers, equipment transportation people. The hard working people..... the salt of the earth

Robert Kraft millions for a (frivolous) Stones party put smiles on all these peoples faces

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-26 23:07 by triceratops.

Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: October 26, 2016 23:07

roller99
stone66

Oops, meant to say, many on here have said this is it. This is it.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: October 26, 2016 23:08

triceratops
The Stones on tour are a lot larger and a lot more than Mick, Keith, Ronnie and Charlie who don't need the money. Their tours provide paychecks for at least one hundred other people. I promise you all of them were pulling for that rumored Massachussets show to come through. I promise you none of them care where The Stones play as long as they can do a fair and good job and get a fair and good paycheck. Think of back up singers, hairdressers, wardrobe and equipment managers, equipment transportation people. The hard working people..... the salt of the earth

Robert Kraft millions for a (frivolous) Stones party put smiles on all these peoples faces

The same hardworking people who for the most part are priced out of seeing a Stones show! Salt of the Earth!

Posted by: JadedFaded ()
Date: October 26, 2016 23:09

If the Oct 22 Vegas concert was in fact their last public U.S. concert, then the Oct 19 cancellation is truly even more unfortunate. I am not a serial set list whiner. But while I enjoyed the Oct 22 show, I was a little disappointed with the set list as I was anticipating more based upon the Desert Trip 2 set list.

Mick did thank the audience for supporting them and coming out to see them all theses years. Maybe the blues album makes sense because I am feeling pretty blue at the thought of the impending end of their touring career. Like Bjornulf said a few months ago, if you get the chance to see them, go!

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: October 26, 2016 23:12

[www.bostonglobe.com]

By Dugan Arnett Globe Staff October 26, 2016

FOXBOROUGH — Shawn Patrick has seen the Rolling Stones a lot of places.

The 47-year-old Walpole resident has seen them in Toronto, and at the Orpheum Theater in Boston. When he was 11, back in 1981, he almost saw them in Hartford — until his mom found out and nixed the idea.
Subscribe Now

But Tuesday night? Well, that was a little different.

As a couple hundred business associates and friends of Robert Kraft were treated to dinner and a private performance by none other than the Rolling Stones at Gillette Stadium, a small contingent of fans braved falling temperatures and biting winds for a chance to hear the band live — from outside the fenced-off stadium.
Get The Weekender in your inbox:

These were the diehards. The kinds of people you’d want to watch — or at least hear — the Stones with. Some had driven considerable distances to be there. One had attended, by his estimation, 26 Stones shows over the years and proved his affinity for the band in the form of a Stones tattoo on his shoulder.
View Story
Scenes from the Rolling Stones show at Gillette

If you weren’t invited to the soiree hosted by Robert Kraft, feel free to live vicariously through these videos and photos.

Rolling Stones and friends will rack up big bill at Four Seasons

Take Peter Hiltz of Carver, who, upon learning the band would be performing at Gillette on Tuesday, dialed up his wife, Jody, and told her he’d made plans.

“I called her and said, ‘We need to go see the Stones,’?” he said. “At least, to listen to them.”

And now, here they were.

It was something of a strange evening. A couple hours earlier, a line of sport utility vehicles and charter buses had rolled up to One Patriot Place, depositing small groups of casually dressed, mostly middle-age folks near the stadium entrance, where they were met by two women holding clipboards.

As the partygoers made their way into the stadium, their drivers waited in the parking lot, hands stuffed into pockets, huddled against the cold. They chatted casually, about sports, about the media, about Donald Trump — and, of course, about the event they’d been summoned to work that night.

“What a dinner this is gonna be,” one said, staring up at the massive stadium in front of him.

The others nodded in agreement.

It promised to be a high-profile crowd. Beside Robert, Jonathan, and the rest of the Kraft family, we heard that Tommy Hilfiger was in the house, along with an array of local boldfacers including salon guru Pini Swissa, Combined Jewish Philanthropies president Barry Shrage, restaurateur Steve DiFillippo, and Pats playmaker Julian Edelman. No sign of QB Tom Brady, though.

The real party, though, might have been going on around the corner, where by 8:30 p.m., a couple dozen fans had taken up residence near a gated-off stadium entrance.

As the party’s attendees finished dinner, a handful of onlookers traded stories of concerts past and took turns guessing which songs the band might perform on this night.

True, the conditions would not be optimal. In addition to the chilly weather, the concert would be performed inside a massive white event tent, which figured to diminish the music’s reach.

But this did not appear to dampen their spirit.

When the band finally began, at about a quarter past nine, the crowd reacted with requisite enthusiasm. Some cheered. Some pleaded for more (“Turn it up for the poor people!” shouted one man). Others bobbed their heads to the beat.

For the first 30 or so minutes, as the band rolled through performances of (from what we could hear) “Jumpin’ Jack Flash” and “Tumbling Dice,” those who remained near the gate seemed, by all accounts, to be enjoying themselves.

In truth, it wasn’t always easy. The tent had indeed left the music muffled at best. A video board, which could have projected the performance to those standing outside the stadium, went unused. It took even the staunchest fans some time before they could determine which song the band was playing.

But there they were, listening to the Stones live and for some, at least, that was enough.

“Better than sitting at home, watching nothing on TV,” said Jody Hiltz. “When I go to work tomorrow, I got a story to tell.”

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-26 23:14 by TooTough.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: October 26, 2016 23:12

bv
Sure it was not the best booking P.R. wise contracting to a private show three days after the Las Vegas show on Nov 22. If they had asked me I would have adviced on a show at MSG or may be two instead. But they never call me before they sign contracts.

This. Yes, this. But I think you meant October 22, not November 22,
unless you have a Thanksgiving secret.
Thanks for all you do. Safe travels, Bjornulf.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: October 26, 2016 23:15

mosthigh
Sighunt

The Stones have been drawing fire for their ticket prices and lack of fan support since 1969 when people were complaining about paying $7.50 (!!) a ticket on that tour. To seem like they were part of the hip counterculture, they said they would do a free concert on the West Coast (which turned into the disaster known as Altamont) - except they always expected to make money (like, a million bucks) off the anticipated film of said free concert.
According to Joel Selvin's new book 'Altamont', when authorities in San Francisco got wind The Stones were going to play in Golden Gate Park (it was supposed to be a secret) they denied permits, so the concert was moved to Sears Point Raceway, across the bay. When Jagger found out Filmways - who owned part of the speedway - wanted a hundred grand to have the concert there, he said no...and because Mick Jagger didn't want to part with any of his precious money, the concert - already being set up - was moved at the last minute to Altamont - where chaos - and history - ensued.

So greed has always been a prime motivator in The Stones' and Jaggers' camp. Just read your Stones history.

Mosthigh- I am certainly not disagreeing with your assessment. It is spot on. What I was alluding too was that the greed factor became much greater (really high ticket prices for the time, sponsorship, merchandizing, etc) after the Stones reunited in 1989 when Cohl became involved, and in my estimation, rock solidified its grip with the corporate world.

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: October 26, 2016 23:21

laughinearlydied
I dont agree with that. let the stones do whatever they want. i dont want them to do small free gigs if they dont want to. but they clearly want to play small gig in a stupid tent in the middle of a stadium for people who dont care (mostly), instead playing promised gig for 20k people. If they want to do that, let them do that. but i am not going to invent some apology why its the best thing ever. And i find the "they play to pay for the tour" argument to be .. lets say not true.

The average private Stones gig is a lot easier to set up for, to perform, then to move on. If two other North East parties made offers to pay the five million Stones fee I hope The Stones would have accepted.

And I think private shows really do help pay for tour expenses, to spread some relatively fixed costs across more dates out so average expenses for each date are lower.

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: October 26, 2016 23:21

onestep
bv

BV, I am no where close to being a millionaire, and I have already had the unlimited beer for the rest of my life.....smileys with beer

smileys with beer

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...910111213141516171819Next
Current Page: 15 of 19

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1927
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home