Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314...LastNext
Current Page: 9 of 19
Re: Private Rolling Stones show at Gillette Stadium, Foxboro/Boston Tuesday October 25
Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: October 25, 2016 22:55

During a normal tour, a private one-off gig would certainly help to offset some of the overhead costs incurred.

This hasn't been a normal tour. You frankly can't call it a tour at all.
It's a blatant cash grab. Pure and simple.

As a fan, you can participate in the money-suck or choose not to.
It's up to you.

But none of us should be assisting The Stones' in justifying their narrative.

Desert Trip was a monster of its own, so I don't blame The Stones for participating in those weekends. They deserved to be there.

Las Vegas was an abomination and an insult.

This Boston appearance is like pouring salt into an open wound.

But don't fret, they will be HAPPY to take your money in New York next month
and through the winter for an exhibition so you can pretend to be seeing them again.

Fire up the Social Media machine, NYNY here we come!

I'm disgusted.

Re: Private Rolling Stones show at Gillette Stadium, Foxboro/Boston Tuesday October 25
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 25, 2016 22:57

Of course they need to do these private gigs. They live at a level we can't even imagine. They have always been capitalists. The records used to bring in the dough, with touring a loss leader promotional tool. Now it's flipped. This is what they do. The music they make is simply not as sacred as it once was. They are grizzled professionals, grinding out the last big pay days until they come to a stop. Play Gillette, it takes no skin off my bones. Now give me the goddamn blues album. (And I'm still glowing from the sweet things Keith had to say about Bill's bass playing.)

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: October 25, 2016 23:00

Kurt

Why do you say that?

Olly.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: October 25, 2016 23:03

Kurt
I'm disgusted.

Try smileys with beer Maybe you will feel better then

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: October 25, 2016 23:05

jumpontopofmebaby
stone4ever
Gaetzi
It's a slow day at work so I will now bow out of this thread, I've said the same thing five different times now smiling smiley

But you said it well, and its so true what you have said, its just that some of the others can't handle the truth.
The Stones don't need to do these private gigs.

Exactly..THEY DO NOT NEED TO.....they just want to. And how do you know there is not some type of tie thru a friendship etc. They prob enjoy this as much as a Stadium.

With all due respect i think the Stones would rather play to thousands of screaming fans like they did on their last Vegas show with Keith getting a standing ovation before he sang his 3 songs.
They don't need to but they want to FOR THE MONEY

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: October 25, 2016 23:07

stone4ever
Gaetzi
It's a slow day at work so I will now bow out of this thread, I've said the same thing five different times now smiling smiley

But you said it well, and its so true what you have said, its just that some of the others can't handle the truth.

Oh now we have a written IORR Bible on what's the truth? Nice!!

Date: October 25, 2016 23:10

Maindefender
stone4ever
Gaetzi

Oh your back for more doom and gloom

Date: October 25, 2016 23:16

Olly
Kurt

Why do you say that?

A mid-week Wednesday show was put onsale with a ludicrous price structure.
It supposedly "sold out".

A second Saturday show was put onsale with the identical ludicrous price structure.

The Rolling Stones played 18 songs in Las Vegas.

In my not-so-humble opinion, that is an abomination and an insult.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: October 25, 2016 23:18

Just out of curiosity, I wonder how many people from USA who are complaining about tonight's concert would attend a regular gig if it wasn't on their own hometown.

They could play in NY, Vegas or anywhere else in USA and still there would be people who would want them playing on their own backyard.

Posted by: ohmercy61 ()
Date: October 25, 2016 23:22

I'm from Boston went to vegas and it got cancelled. .now there in boston and I'm not invited... total bummer. .

Posted by: Gaetzi ()
Date: October 25, 2016 23:23

Cristiano Radtke
Just out of curiosity, I wonder how many people from USA who are complaining about tonight's concert would attend a regular gig if it wasn't on their own hometown.

They could play in NY, Vegas or anywhere else in USA and still there would be people who would want them playing on their own backyard.

My angle is more out of curiosity of what drives them to do these corporate gigs, by no means am I complaining. These guys are already so rich I don't see how they need the bread. As I said, it's just been a slow day at work and I have more time to hang here. As I mentioned in a different thread, the closest I've ever seen the Stones was 750 miles from where I live. I flew 6000 miles to BA this past winter to see the band. And it was one of the greatest shows I've ever seen!

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: October 25, 2016 23:24

TooTough
I just want the Stones to be the last on stage, regardless what bands play before.

The night they played, they were.
Last at last night of festival doesn't equate to top billing for festival.

Many, many, examples if needed.

Date: October 25, 2016 23:27

stone4ever
jumpontopofmebaby
stone4ever
Gaetzi

Exactly..THEY DO NOT NEED TO.....they just want to. And how do you know there is not some type of tie thru a friendship etc. They prob enjoy this as much as a Stadium.

With all due respect i think the Stones would rather play to thousands of screaming fans like they did on their last Vegas show with Keith getting a standing ovation before he sang his 3 songs.

I think they just like it all. Seeing people smile etc. And I take that back. I am sure they love the stadium gigs the most. They seem to really shine in that atmosphere. What was really cool at the Desert Trip was seeing the smiles on all the people faces young and old. And you can tell some of them were seeing them for the 1st time. I am sure they do it for the money...agree but they do not need the money so if the did not love what they are doing. they would not do it.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 25, 2016 23:28

dcba
Well early this year Neil Young also did this kind of overpaid private gig for an audience of corporate zombies and nobody blamed the eco-warrior for it.

I don't get why the Stones should be castigated for playing corpo-rock till the end of times while Neil Young was forgotten the day after the private show happened.
And if you look at the bigger picture you'll see this "Fall 2016 US tour" : it was built around the Oldchella cash machine and Mick cleverly added a few (equally juicy) extra dates just to make a nice thing ($$$$) even nicer.

Alot of it has to do with timing.
The Stones just cancelled a show which was not to be rescheduled, with the final US 'mini tour' show now being private.

Neil's private gig was in the midst of a massive tour, with many shows before and after. Neil also played two small theater shows between Desert Trip weekends that were fairly priced and open to the public.
And what were the Stones doing between Desert Trip weekends...counting their money?

Not taking sides, and really don't care what the Stones do one way or another , but its' understandable why some would feel shortchanged - especially those who had tix for the cancelled show in Vegas.
It would be kind of sad if this is the way they end it all here, so hopefully (but probably doubtfully) they will return to the US for another mini tour with realistic prices.
Either way, I'm content - after two Desert Trips and one Vegas show (with two of the three at hugely discounted prices), I've already come to terms that these were probably the last time I will ever see them.
Here's hoping they schedule some shows in Europe so that this wont be the final anti-climactic chapter of their entire history.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: October 25, 2016 23:28

This private show would not be an issue, had they made an effort to reschedule
the Vegas show - even if it involved doing the Boston private show then returning to Vegas. Also by waiting until the day after the 2nd Vegas show to announce the
cancellation of the first show only made the entire mess worse and harder to
accept by the ticket holders. Bottom line, for me, is it seems rotten but it's
time to move on. Life is too short to focus on things which are out of my control.

Date: October 25, 2016 23:30

Rolling Hansie
Kurt
I'm disgusted.

Try smileys with beer Maybe you will feel better then

I will undoubtedly get over it.
smileys with beer

Date: October 25, 2016 23:30

Gaetzi
Cristiano Radtke

My angle is more out of curiosity of what drives them to do these corporate gigs, by no means am I complaining. These guys are already so rich I don't see how they need the bread. As I said, it's just been a slow day at work and I have more time to hang here. As I mentioned in a different thread, the closest I've ever seen the Stones was 750 miles from where I live. I flew 6000 miles to BA this past winter to see the band. And it was one of the greatest shows I've ever seen!

They're already so rich that they don't need to perform anymore, lol.

Date: October 25, 2016 23:36

jumpontopofmebaby
stone4ever
jumpontopofmebaby
stone4ever
Gaetzi

I think they just like it all. Seeing people smile etc. And I take that back. I am sure they love the stadium gigs the most. They seem to really shine in that atmosphere. What was really cool at the Desert Trip was seeing the smiles on all the people faces young and old. And you can tell some of them were seeing them for the 1st time. I am sure they do it for the money...agree but they do not need the money so if the did not love what they are doing. they would not do it.

Yeah i think to some extent you're right about that, i'm just having a bad day at the office, and when all this dies down i would still go out of my way to see them one last time. I do love this band . One love.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: October 25, 2016 23:46

Cristiano Radtke

Cripes! THAT would be something to complain about!

Date: October 25, 2016 23:49

SomeTorontoGirl
Cristiano Radtke

Cripes! THAT would be something to complain about!

See? It always can be worse. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: October 25, 2016 23:52

stone4ever
Maindefender
stone4ever
Gaetzi

Oh your back for more doom and gloom

lol yeah I'll be HMS and you can be GasLightStreet for this battle royal. smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-25 23:53 by Maindefender.

Posted by: HankM ()
Date: October 25, 2016 23:55

Kurt
During a normal tour, a private one-off gig would certainly help to offset some of the overhead costs incurred.

This hasn't been a normal tour. You frankly can't call it a tour at all.
It's a blatant cash grab. Pure and simple.

As a fan, you can participate in the money-suck or choose not to.
It's up to you.

But none of us should be assisting The Stones' in justifying their narrative.

Desert Trip was a monster of its own, so I don't blame The Stones for participating in those weekends. They deserved to be there.

This Boston appearance is like pouring salt into an open wound.

But don't fret, they will be HAPPY to take your money in New York next month
and through the winter for an exhibition so you can pretend to be seeing them again.

Fire up the Social Media machine, NYNY here we come!

I'm disgusted.

Im tellin ya Mick and Keith, if you are pissing off Kurt you are off course. Kurt doenst get mad about hardly anything. I am not kidding here or being a smartazz, it is simple fact. Kurt is level headed and if he is disgusted it is a bad indicator.

Now with that said, at least DPM is not mad yet, if/when that happens... katy bar the door!

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: October 26, 2016 00:02

bye bye johnny
35love
No, Mr. Kraft processed cheese is not so discriminatory

Apart from his surname, Robert Kraft has no association with Kraft Foods.

My bad.

Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: October 26, 2016 00:06

stone4ever
roller99
stone4ever
BV and others who have seen the Stones multiple times can say yeah whatever its just the way the world works and tough luck etc.
But for many people who missed the cancelled show it was a once in a life time chance to see the Stones and for others maybe their last chance to see them.
Why can't people be a bit upset by this, why are we brain washed into thinking the Stones are above criticism.
Please allow people to be pissed off for 5 mins

BV has basically sacrificed his life to get where he is. Others have sacrificed much too (not me). I bailed on Desert Trip because it was too much hassle for me (I live in Los Angeles) and I hate crowds. I figured, "ech, I'll see them in Vegas on the 19th". They canceled. Oh well. It's not a life changer. Even Mick penned "It's only rock and roll". Yeah, I know now I'll only ever see the band if I want to fly to Europe in 2017.

I challenge anyone to find fault in someone who's worked the same job for 55 years and has only had to call in sick a few times....A FEW TIMES! I've probably called in sick more in 2016 than The Stones did in 55 years.

And if you have an issue with them playing a private gig and you not getting in, you're just a jealous whiner. It ain't the 1970's any more, with 50-stop tours, coming to your city soon. Appreciate the fact that the band still even exists. Everyone else started breaking up in 1970....

Hey ego boy you're missing the point, its OK for people to be upset and disappointed with the way the Stones have behaved. The real fans should come first, they could have fitted another date this week to replace the cancelled Vegas gig but didn't, probably due to this private gig. They left it to the last minute to finally cancel a show they had no intention of playing, people spent a small fortune waiting to see if they were going to reschedule.
The other thing is why didn't they just do 2 stadium shows to the fans, it would make just as much profit, this 3 date tour is a joke. People are naturally sickened by the greed of this band. I'm lot a jealous whiner as you put it, iv'e seen this band many times and they have given me more than i could ever ask for, but it needs to be said, they have totally sold out now, very sad.

Grow up little man, the band is in it for the money.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: October 26, 2016 00:06

Hairball
Neil's private gig was in the midst of a massive tour, with many shows before and after.

Actually the January 25 show at Theatre Mogador in Paris was a one off.

2015 tour ended in October, and the 2016 tour started in April.

Date: October 26, 2016 00:08

gotdablouse
I've got no dogs in this fight but anyway you look at it, it is indeed pathetic that they are accepting to compromise whatever integrity they have left...again, if it's their last gig ever, it will go down in infamy.

As for a gig in NYC ? Why wouldn't they play another private gig over there ? It seems that all you need is cash ? Maybe Trump will hire them to comfort his supporters ? Would they say "no" ?

@roller99 - I'm confused, weren't you at the Fonda gig last year ?

I was, but the funny thing is, I knew about the gig six months before it happened. Couldn't say a word, and having that information did nothing to get me into the gig. Nothing. I got in because BV posted that they were looking for video testimony of your best Sticky Fingers story. I got chosen, and they gave me a pair right up front. Pure luck.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: October 26, 2016 00:08

And I'm just sayin'
if he sings Beast of Burden to her,
it's over.

Date: October 26, 2016 00:12

donvis
This idea that they don't owe
the fans is absolutely ridiculous. without the fans they would absolutely be nothing

People used to bum rush Ringo asking him for an autograph, and when he refused they would get upset and say "but we bought all your albums!". His response: Stop buying them then.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: October 26, 2016 00:14

roller99
People used to bum rush Ringo asking him for an autograph, and when he refused they would get upset and say "but we bought all your albums!". His response: Stop buying them then.

But he said it with peace and love. ;-)

Posted by: onestep ()
Date: October 26, 2016 00:16

Cristiano Radtke

I would !

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-26 12:50 by onestep.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314...LastNext
Current Page: 9 of 19

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1827
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home