Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 4 of 19
Re: Private Rolling Stones show at Gillette Stadium, Foxboro/Boston Tuesday October 25
Posted by: bv ()
Date: October 25, 2016 09:54

Some times they scale down the tour entourage i.e. the running cost at the end of the tour, typically going from stadium to arena size etc. Then they also scale down the crew size. You don't need 25 trucks and stadium size security to do a private show on the field of Gilette, and you don't need double security. Also, the Gillette show was contracted, just like the next show. They could not cancel Brisbane and do a rescheduled Hanging Rock, in Australia, when Mick had laryngitis there Nov 8, 2014 , as an example.

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-25 21:37 by bv.

Re: Private Rolling Stones show at Gillette Stadium, Foxboro/Boston Tuesday October 25
Posted by: bv ()
Date: October 25, 2016 10:11

The Worst.
I feel sorry for those who had tickets for the first Las Vegas show. It seems like this private gig is the reason why it didn't get rescheduled. It's a shame how easily they cancel a highly advertised show for 19,000 hard working people who invested time and money, just in order to play a tiny cooperate gig for a few hundred people who probably don't give a damn. Why didn't they just postpone the Foxboro thing instead? Why can't they be a bit more utilitarian?

I understand why they had to warm up before the Desert shows with a private event in Vegas, but this one is harder to explain. Why play to an empty stadium when they can play to a full? None of this makes sense to me, not even the money.

Private and corporate gigs are used to generate income to cover for cost of a tour, like rehearsals. They are contracted and legally binding like any other agreements. The Stones have done it for ages, Paul McCartney does it, Elton John, and I am sure anyone on this planet including you and me, who was offered four million US dollars for two hours work of the kind of work they usually do, would say yes. If the Patriots owner told me to write a report and make pictures and he paid me four million USD then fine I would do it.

Anyone who went to the Las Vegas show last week may confirm that Mick was recovering from a major laryngitis. Sure it feels unfair, but life is unfair.

Bjornulf

Date: October 25, 2016 10:17

This gig was arranged several months ago at the beginning of the year, just very unfortunate that the Vegas show had to be cancelled.

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: October 25, 2016 10:53

Do they really need the money this much, seriously Paul McCartney and the Stones are this desperate for extra cash with their hundreds of millions lol
What sort of a tour is this, 2 private shows and 3 dates for the fans.
Hang it up guys you're giving me the creeps.

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: October 25, 2016 10:57

Lots of let down fans.

It's Deflategate II.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: October 25, 2016 11:06

bv
The Worst.
I feel sorry for those who had tickets for the first Las Vegas show. It seems like this private gig is the reason why it didn't get rescheduled. It's a shame how easily they cancel a highly advertised show for 19,000 hard working people who invested time and money, just in order to play a tiny cooperate gig for a few hundred people who probably don't give a damn. Why didn't they just postpone the Foxboro thing instead? Why can't they be a bit more utilitarian?

I understand why they had to warm up before the Desert shows with a private event in Vegas, but this one is harder to explain. Why play to an empty stadium when they can play to a full? None of this makes sense to me, not even the money.

Private and corporate gigs are used to generate income to cover for cost of a tour, like rehearsals. They are contracted and legally binding like any other agreements. The Stones have done it for ages, Paul McCartney does it, Elton John, and I am sure anyone on this planet including you and me, who was offered four million US dollars for two hours work of the kind of work they usually do, would say yes. If the Patriots owner told me to write a report and make pictures and he paid me four million USD then fine I would do it.

Anyone who went to the Las Vegas show last week may confirm that Mick was recovering from a major laryngitis. Sure it feels unfair, but life is unfair.

Why don't they do 1 or 2 official East Coast shows instead? Why don't they tour to cover the "costs of the tour"? I don't think they'd less money for this. And the hardcore fans would not feel ridiculed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-25 11:53 by Monsoon Ragoon.

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: October 25, 2016 12:13

I am very disappointed in The Rolling Stones.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: October 25, 2016 12:16

That "covering costs" excuse comes up each time, first it was the corporate sponsoring 25 years ago, fast forward to 2012 and the ridiculous O2 prices were justified (by Ronnie no less) because they had to pay for a stage that would only be used 5 times, etc...It's not like they do these things to break right?

So yes life is unfair, but with the unfortunate 10/19 cancellation this looks really bad, could it be any worse ? If it has to be their last gig it will even go down in infamy, on the other hand it will be a good summary of what it's come to...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: thecitadel ()
Date: October 25, 2016 12:36

bv
The Worst.

Just to reinforce Bjornulf's points, Mick couldn't even speak early last week (a member of his family and friends group told me) and was still struggling on Saturday. I was amazed how good he was all things considered.

If you have a contract, then you have to honour it, hence Boston I guess. Most fans in Las vegas travelled for the 19th, including me. How many could realistically get there for this week - very few. With travel and venue availability etc. a re-scheduled date would be this weekend or late next week. Not feasible really, sad though I am.

Although the band has insurance, there will be a big excess so a cancellation costs them loads of money as well as costing us a lot. And Mick was very sincere, in my opinion, when he apologised for the cancellation on stage on Saturday.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: October 25, 2016 12:50

CaptainCorella

According to the poster above my desk, the cancelled Hanging Rock show was November 8th 2014.smiling smiley

Originally the Hanging Rock show should take place on 30-Mar-2014 and was postponed along with the other 6 Australian shows due to the tragic loss of L'Wren Scott.

And then the to the new date 8-Nov-2014 moved Hanging Rock show was cancelled because Mick J. has got a throat infection: [iorr.org] , [iorr.org] .

Double bad luck .... sad smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-25 13:00 by Irix.

Posted by: Stonesfan2146 ()
Date: October 25, 2016 13:14

For anyone who was wondering how the set up would look, some cam pics from monday and tuesday:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-25 13:20 by Stonesfan2146.

Date: October 25, 2016 13:41

Totally absurd. Why don't they book a club or theater? Is the stadium cheaper?

Posted by: laughinearlydied ()
Date: October 25, 2016 13:47

Oh come on. Seriously? They have to do some private gig to "pay for the tour"? Poor Stones, maybe we should start raising some money for them. Or maybe they could just price their tickets higher, you know, 800 can´t be enough...

Why we cant just say how it is? They want the money and the normal fan does not matter. I don´t like it, i dont agree, but whatever. I dont have to like everything they do to love and enjoy their music. But at the same time i reserve the right to say that this is irritating me. They are in a position when they can do anything they want, and they choose to play for some rich people even when mick is not a 100% and they just cancelled a 20k gig after telling people to hold on to their 800 tickets. oh ok.

and by the way, that thing they built in the stadium is pathetic.

no disrespect to anybody, just opinions smiling smiley

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: October 25, 2016 14:12

Fair enough, but only to some extent. I understand they have to honour contracts etc., but it seems to many fans, I guess, that some contracts and crowds are considered to be more important than others – and it is always the wrong contract and crowd that are considered as such. I fully understand the disappointment many fans got outside Beacon Theatre when super models were shipped inside the venue and didn’t seem to know or care about The Stones. But it’s their show and their film, so fair enough. But is it their crowd? I don’t always understand their priorities, but that’s just me. When did they ever bother to ship fans into such a special venue? Reading Matt’s and BV’s stories about how to attend intimate shows, it seems to be a financial, logistical and tiresome operation. That too is fair enough. But although most fans appreciate and love the fact that their favourite band are still performing after all these years (and buy $500+ for stadium tickets), I think the same fans have a right to feel disappointed when a regular show is cancelled only to find out that a private mini show will take place instead of a postponed date. The general, underlying feeling I think many fans share, is that The Rolling Stones rarely do a small or private show for «real» fans. I know there are exceptions. Fans were invited to watch rehearsals in France and a few other rare episodes. But my question is really: How hard would it really be to put that tent up for IORR and Shidoobee members? If it’s all about funding (as if all the cash provided by fans over the years somehow doesn’t count), why don’t they make an intimate show for fans based on income from sponsors or some cooperate show?

Let me provide one example of how it can be done. In 1999 REM held a private concert in Oslo for dedicated fans only. Members of different fan clubs were told to meet at a certain pub in Oslo, where they got wristbands before being transported with buses to an intimate and secret location.
(You can read one review here if you want: [members.iinet.net.au]).

It would be possible for The Stones to do something similar based on a list of IORR subscribers. I’m not saying they should or owe us anything, but it would be possible if they really wanted to. Therefore, I understand why it’s tempting for some to say that they care more about big bucks than big fans.

My own approach is to attend as many gigs as I can before they quit. I am happy for every tour and show they do. It’s a miracle that they’re still here. But I fear there will be one big gap on my bucket list, and that is to attend a small, intimate show with The Rolling Stones.

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: October 25, 2016 14:24

Monsoon Ragoon

The stadium is owned and operated by Kraft Sports Group

Date: October 25, 2016 14:26

I dont agree with that. let the stones do whatever they want. i dont want them to do small free gigs if they dont want to. but they clearly want to play small gig in a stupid tent in the middle of a stadium for people who dont care (mostly), instead playing promised gig for 20k people. If they want to do that, let them do that. but i am not going to invent some apology why its the best thing ever. And i find the "they play to pay for the tour" argument to be .. lets say not true.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: October 25, 2016 14:40

who is the lucky group that gets the secret corporate gig in Foxboro?

Date: October 25, 2016 14:44

TheGreek
who is the lucky group that gets the secret corporate gig in Foxboro?

Must be these guys, Greek..

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: October 25, 2016 14:51

laughinearlydied
I dont agree with that. let the stones do whatever they want. i dont want them to do small free gigs if they dont want to. but they clearly want to play small gig in a stupid tent in the middle of a stadium for people who dont care (mostly), instead playing promised gig for 20k people. If they want to do that, let them do that. but i am not going to invent some apology why its the best thing ever. And i find the "they play to pay for the tour" argument to be .. lets say not true.

The Stones are all multi millionaires. Load of rubbish, they need the money to pay for the tour. they can pay for it themselves, and have enough money left for their grand grand grand children.
jeroen

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-25 14:57 by corriecas.

Re: Club gigs USA fall 2016
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 25, 2016 14:56

bam
Sounds like the Soldier Field ABB show. An outdoor show to an empty stadium in a northern city in October,
with the performers suffering from the cold.

Ow ow ow - no, please not that! Make them move it inside

Posted by: Long John Stoner ()
Date: October 25, 2016 15:16

Monsoon Ragoon

This just kills me. Who the hell are you or anyone else for that matter to judge the Stones on this. THEY DON'T OWE YOU A THING. READ IT AGAIN. THEY DON'T OWE YOU A THING.

This sense of entitlement is one of the HUGE drawbacks of career longevity. People like Rangoon and others here selfishly think the Rolling Stones exist merely to cater to their whims, when in fact reality is they are a group of musicians averaging over 72 years of age who belong to an enterprise that became a business decades ago and whose every action is either covered by contracts or the whims of the group leaders.

Do any of you even stop to realize what it would take to re-schedule the one Vegas show? Even if they did, there's no way to make it up to the people who were disappointed in the first place. Some would get to go, but most who attend who have had nothing invested in the first show. It's absurd to think otherwise.

Some of you, please don't ever wonder why you hear rumors that the drummer is tired of all this crap, or the singer and guitar player can't get along. Better yet, why the now 80 year old bass player (let that age in in for a moment) was sick of it all way back in 1992 and QUIT. Some of you will NEVER BE HAPPY. You'll call them elitists, cash whores and more. Thing is, deep down, they know they gave you everything for so long and yet you still want more. After nearly 55 years doing this, they'll do it their way or not at all. Live with it.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-25 15:26 by Long John Stoner.

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: October 25, 2016 15:22

I might add to the last sentence I wrote earlier, that I'm fully aware this is not a real problem. Most people have far greater issues in their lives than being concerned about missing out some intimate rock shows. [/quote]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-25 15:22 by The Worst..

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: October 25, 2016 15:24

I wonder whether those who hire the Stones for private events are able to dictate the set list.

It would be quite something if the likes of 'She Smiled Sweetly', 'Let It Loose' and 'Plundered My Soul' permeate the Massachusetts air this evening.

Hello, I'd like to book The Rolling Stones please, but only if they agree to include 'Gomper' in the set.

Olly.

Date: October 25, 2016 15:34

Long John Stoner
Monsoon Ragoon

This just kills me. Who the hell are you or anyone else for that matter to judge the Stones on this. THEY DON'T OWE YOU A THING. READ IT AGAIN. THEY DON'T OWE YOU A THING.

This sense of entitlement is one of the HUGE drawbacks of career longevity. People like Rangoon and others here selfishly think the Rolling Stones exist merely to cater to their whims, when in fact reality is they are a group of musicians averaging over 72 years of age who belong to an enterprise that became a business decades ago and whose every action is either covered by contracts or the whims of the group leaders.

Do any of you even stop to realize what it would take to re-schedule the one Vegas show? Even if they did, there's no way to make it up to the people who were disappointed in the first place. Some would get to go, but most who attend who have had nothing invested in the first show. It's absurd to think otherwise.

Some of you, please don't ever wonder why you hear rumors that the drummer is tired of all this crap, or the singer and guitar player can't get along. Better yet, why the now 80 year old bass player (let that age in in for a moment) was sick of it all way back in 1992 and QUIT. Some of you will NEVER BE HAPPY. You'll call them elitists, cash whores and more. Thing is, deep down, they know they gave you everything for so long and yet you still want more. After nearly 55 years doing this, they'll do it their way or not at all. Live with it.

Your offending answer has no relation to my comment. I just asked why the hell they play in a tent in a stadium. No I know the answer: because it's cheaper than renting a theater. I think this is maybe not only absurd, but also very sad.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-25 15:35 by Monsoon Ragoon.

Date: October 25, 2016 15:36

Long John Stoner
Monsoon Ragoon

This just killsh me. Who the hell are you or anyone else for that matter to judge the Stones on tis. THEY DON'T OWE YOU A THING. READ IT AGAIN. THEY DON'T OWE YOU A THING.

oh.. we are sorry that we have our opinons and didnt realize that we have to adore endlessly whatever the band does, like, for example, playing in a tent with jaggers sore throat right after cancelling scheduled vegas. i suppose that if they played there just covers of justin bieber you would say we should not judge.
i am a fan of the band, not a fanboy of the band. of course i judge them.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: October 25, 2016 15:45

laughinearlydied
Long John Stoner
Monsoon Ragoon

This just killsh me. Who the hell are you or anyone else for that matter to judge the Stones on tis. THEY DON'T OWE YOU A THING. READ IT AGAIN. THEY DON'T OWE YOU A THING.

oh.. we are sorry that we have our opinons and didnt realize that we have to adore endlessly whatever the band does, like, for example, playing in a tent with jaggers sore throat right after cancelling scheduled vegas. i suppose that if they played there just covers of justin bieber you would say we should not judge.
i am a fan of the band, not a fanboy of the band. of course i judge them.

smileys with beer
Jeroen

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: October 25, 2016 15:56

Is there any possibility I can be hired as a new player in the New England Patriots before tonight?

I'm 59, 1,75 m, and weight is 65 kg

I'll buy a beer.

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: October 25, 2016 16:05

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: October 25, 2016 16:05

I think this is great. I hope the Stones, the Kraft family & their guests have a great time tonight. I just wish I were on the guest list!

Peace,
Mr. DJA

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: October 25, 2016 16:10

"We’re told the invitation, which went out via FedEx a few weeks ago, was a small box containing a white rock with the printed words: “Gillette Stadium Tuesday Evening October 25, 2016. Very Special Live Performance by The Rolling Stones.”

Hmmm. That gets you in the door? ;-)
(And somebody get Matt Lee an original)

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 4 of 19

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1831
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home