Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 19
Re: Club gigs USA fall 2016
Posted by: Nate ()
Date: October 9, 2016 23:08

Cristiano Radtke
MonkeyMan2000
Yes, to get into a club show is probably the biggest dream of most of the fans. It is mine.

But I just have a feeling that the time is running out and there will not be many more public club gigs. I mean, 20 years ago, you would still have time to learn and improve the "technique" in the following years. But these days, if you miss one because you did one little thing wrong, will you get a second chance?

I just have the feeling that I missed the train (though I was not even born 16 years ago). For a beginner like me it's so hard to find out where to start.
And if I can't manage to do it, I will probably ask myself the whole life: Why didn't you do this? Why didn't you try that?

Where there's a will there's a way. winking smiley

thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: chriseganstar ()
Date: October 12, 2016 01:31

mattleeuk
Bjornulf so accurately describes the desire, “It is every Stones fan's true dream to be at and inside a club show. It is in our blood. It is in our genes.” The Rolling Stones bug first bit me hard on the 16th of July 1995 at Wembley Stadium. I spent the next three days madly but hopelessly trying to figure out how to get into the Brixton Academy but I failed. I didn’t know enough, I hadn’t a clue how the tickets would be sold, I didn’t know anything, I was just barking up all the wrong trees.

Four years later, still on a student budget, I was sleeping in airports and on the floors of kind fans across Europe. I had already travelled to seven countries to see the band and I would talk to other fans constantly on the internet. I was collecting everything I could find, trading and sharing my passion for my relatively new but all consuming hobby. Many took me under their wing and helped me. They remain among my very best friends today.

There were rumours of a club show following the gig in Sheffield. I was still very much the new kid on the block and had patchy information at best. Pretty much all I knew was that tickets were likely to be sold on the day before. I didn’t want to miss Sheffield, the city of my birth on such sketchy intelligence so on arrival at Don Valley Stadium myself and my three friends pretended we had to leave for a Wedding in Paris the next day. The stewards let us park right at the exit and having pre fuelled and stocked up on snacks we were ready for a quick getaway. We were the first car to arrive in London and find the queue of 20-30 people that had already formed outside Tower Records (one of the likely places). A nervous 10 hours followed on a cold London pavement but all the tiredness disappeared when finally I had my wristband and ticket.

Determined to make the most of this amazing opportunity, I went home, had a brief sleep, showered and left for London again (I was living at home with my parents in Cambridge at the time). Myself and my fellow first timers were well inside the first 10 to arrive at the venue. Many, many more hours later the doors opened the next evening and I managed to be literally right in the middle of the rail, if I was hooked post Wembley 95 I was now fully addicted.

Later that year I moved to London to make my way in the world. I joined great company but didn’t enjoy my job (at that time) and could be found searching for Mick, Charlie and Ronnie by night who were all living in London at the time. I would find Ronnie most often, always having something interesting from his solo career for him to sign and a spare copy to give him. I would be polite, respectful and only go to public places I thought he would go and wait patiently away from the door. I got better and better at it to the point he started to tell me where he would be, discretion never having been his strongest quality. In total we met about 40 times throughout the year 2000.

So many more great experiences were to come and hopefully many more but Shepherds Bush 1999 will always hold a special place in my memory. Only recently was I privileged enough to be able to invite one of my Shepherds Bush companions who is still a great friend to the very special Fonda show.

As Bjornulf explains, it’s never easy but I remain completely determined to go to every special show that I can and as many of the others as possible too. For sure it has got easier, you get to know the patterns, you get to understand what is bullshit and what has elements of truth. I am not denying I have been incredibly lucky and much more recently had generous lashings of help but for 12 years it was 100% down to me. I would figure out where and when, team up with friends to work shifts through the night to buy tickets online or queue overnight where they were likely to be sold. Furthermore, once I have a ticket in hand that is just the beginning. I was absolutely first in line at Astoria, Trebendo, Fonda, Echoplex and several others… and well inside the first 10 at pretty much every other club show I’ve been to.

For newbies my strong advice would be to only target public club shows, forget the private ones or you will just lose heart and /or be a nuisance, two things that are only going to set back your ambition.

You have to travel with hope and determination and there are never any guarantees but if you put in the effort you will inspire others that have been on the same journey and they will help you.

For me there is no greater pleasure than to share my passion.
Great post, Matt. Lots of friends of mine keep telling me how lucky I am to get tickets. When I say that I don't do anything they couldn't do they don't believe me. You have to be very determined and invest the time to make it happen. Enjoy Vegas my friend.

Satisfied since 1976

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: October 12, 2016 23:33

dcba
MonkeyMan2000
I will probably ask myself the whole life : Why didn't you do this? Why didn't you try that?

Don't worry you'll quickly move to more important matters. Life can be hard on you... Missing a club-gig won't matter much.

True, besides it's a fleeting moment and it's sometimes best not to know what you're missing, i.e. it's tough to get over the intensity of that kind of experience...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: October 13, 2016 01:13

chriseganstar
You have to be very determined and invest the time to make it happen.

That's it

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: October 13, 2016 02:33

bv
If have said this for many many years, since 1995 when they did Paradiso, Olympia and Brixton, i.e. 21 years... If you really want to experience a club show badly, I mean really, then you need to forget about work, family, economy and commitment for a long while. You need to spend all your time reading everything said, talking to everyone you know and you don't know and then you need to sort out the 95% wrong/misleading and 5% more or less accurate info into a plan where you may invest your travel and focus.

There will not be a ready "dinner table" when you are served with a date and a time and a city and a place and a VIP pass and a wristband and a ticket, unless you are very very inside, or just invited.

This goes for the public club shows they usually do ahead of a tour start. When it comes to private shows, you may listen from outside, but the chance of getting inside is like shaking hands with a president (I have shaken hands with Bill Clinton). Not very likely.

It is every Stones fan's true dream to be at and inside a club show. It is in our blood. It is in our genes. I wish there was a way to fit us all into a small room where Mick and Keith and Charlie and Ronnie were up there just for us, but it's hard, you know, very hard. There are so many rich people who offer five million US dollars or more for ninety minutes, we can't match that unfortunately. I am just a poor boy, after following the Stones for 45 years. Being a fan does not come with a fortune, but if you work hard, you may be rewarded by a riff or a glimpse of them. Just never give up! Remember, we are the salt of the earth. if we behave, and if we are at the right place and the right time and we are lucky, our dreams may come through. Until then, we have to settle with California and Las Vegas.
Or they could hang out with you. grinning smiley

Secret gig in Boston?
Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: October 24, 2016 22:04

NEW TOPIC:

Quoting alieb in the Las Vegas oct. 22 thread.

alieb:
"Mick's most recent tweet was posted an hour ago from Boston... surprised there is not a thread for this supposed show people have mentioned"!

Edit:

BV made this NEW TOPIC part of a NEW STICKY....smileys with beer

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-24 22:09 by RipThisBone.

Posted by: Rollin92 ()
Date: October 24, 2016 22:14

There goes the hope of them showing up on Friday...

Re: Secret gig in Boston?
Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: October 24, 2016 22:17

RipThisBone
NEW TOPIC:

alieb:
"Mick's most recent tweet was posted an hour ago from Boston... surprised there is not a thread for this supposed show people have mentioned"!

Edit:

That's an example of a good detective job. smileys with beer

Posted by: HankM ()
Date: October 24, 2016 22:17

yeah

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-25 01:10 by HankM.

Date: October 24, 2016 22:19

Cristiano Radtke
RipThisBone
NEW TOPIC:

alieb:

Edit:

thumbs up

THE NEW 2016 North AMERICA Mini-Tour LIST:

Oct. 3 LAS VEGAS (secret corporate show) Bellagio Convention Centre 1200 att.
Oct. 7 INDIO (desert trip festival) Coachella Festival site 75.000 att.
Oct.14 INDIO (desert trip festival) Coachella Festival site 75.000 att.
Oct.19 LAS VEGAS Arena (19.000 att.) CANCELLED.
Oct.22 LAS VEGAS Arena 19.000 att.
t.b.a. BOSTON (SECRET???) t.b.a. unknown att.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-24 23:10 by RipThisBone.

Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: October 24, 2016 23:05

mr_dja
stonesstein
Does anyone know if there are rumors of additional club/private/corporate shows, and if so, where and when are these alleged to being scheduled

Unfortunately, the first rule of a Stones private show is: you do not talk about a Stones private show. The second rule of a Stones private show is: you DO NOT talk about a Stones private show.

If I had to guess, I could probably name two members of this board who know exactly (or have some pretty good hunches) where and when the next show is taking place. Based on previous actions and their desire not to "out" their contacts within the Stones organization, I can almost guarantee that neither of them, nor anyone else with any 'official' knowledge will be making any statements here in advance of the show.

Note: If I am proven wrong, I will be INCREDIBLY happy for ANY IORRians who manage to get to see the Stones at a small show!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Of course people aren't going to give up info, for a number of reasons....

Date: October 24, 2016 23:12

Boston?
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: October 24, 2016 23:57

Mick talking Vegas and NYC - from Boston.

[twitter.com]

Date: October 25, 2016 00:09

RipThisBone

Boston, or NYC? winking smiley

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: October 25, 2016 00:13

DandelionPowderman
RipThisBone

Well you heard about the Boston...
It's not one of those? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: October 25, 2016 00:22

Cristiano Radtke
DandelionPowderman
RipThisBone

smileys with beer

Date: October 25, 2016 00:51

DandelionPowderman
Cristiano Radtke
DandelionPowderman
RipThisBone

thumbs up smileys with beer

rumour........ NYC........>grinning smiley<

smileys with beer

Posted by: alieb ()
Date: October 25, 2016 01:33

Cristiano Radtke
RipThisBone
NEW TOPIC:

alieb:

Edit:

Thanks for the recognition mate! Tried to go back and find his thread to post that here but I couldn't find it at the time! Excited to hear what happens in the end

Posted by: Gottheblues ()
Date: October 25, 2016 01:55

The Boston Globe just posted on FB that the Stones are in town at the Four Seasons and playing a private party at Gillette Stadium for the Patriots owners Robert Kraft and family Tuesday night!

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: October 25, 2016 02:15

Gottheblues
The Boston Globe just posted on FB that the Stones are in town at the Four Seasons and playing a private party at Gillette Stadium for the Patriots owners Robert Kraft and family Tuesday night!

[www.bostonglobe.com]

Rolling Stones - Gillette Stadium, Foxboro MA October 25?
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: October 25, 2016 02:18

The Rolling Stones are in town for a swanky shindig at Gillette

By Mark Shanahan October 24, 2016

Kevin Winter/Getty Images

The Krafts sure know how to party. In 2003, you’ll recall, Patriots owner Robert Kraft celebrated his 40th wedding anniversary by having Sir Elton John perform for friends and family at Gillette Stadium. The team’s four Super Bowl bashes have all been off the chain, with performances by Snoop Dogg, Lionel Richie, Pitbull, and Rick Ross. And Jon Bon Jovi was the surprise musical guest at last summer’s 75th birthday bash for the Pats poobah.

We’re not sure what the occasion is this time, but Kraft Group President Jonathan Kraft has summoned a few hundred business associates and friends to the Optum Field Lounge at Gillette Tuesday for dinner and a performance by the Rolling Stones. Yes, we’re told that Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Ron Wood, and Charlie Watts are in town — the word is they’ve commandeered dozens of rooms at the Four Seasons Hotel — and they’re playing a private show for the Krafts and friends on Tuesday.

Come to think of it, didn’t Pats coach Bill Belichick name-check Jagger and the Rolling Stones during his remarkably chatty press conference on Friday? Maybe he had the band on the brain.

We’re told the invitation, which went out via FedEx a few weeks ago, was a small box containing a white rock with the printed words: “Gillette Stadium Tuesday Evening October 25, 2016. Very Special Live Performance by The Rolling Stones.”

We can only imagine what it would cost to hire the World’s Greatest Rock ’n’ Roll Band to play a private party, and our attempts to reach Jonathan Kraft Monday were unsuccessful.

(Needless to say, we weren’t invited to Tuesday’s shindig, which specifies “casual concert attire.”)

Though the Stones aren’t exactly young anymore — their combined age is 289 — the band performed at the recent megafest in Indio, Calif., known as Desert Trip, and the reviews were excellent.

In case you’re wondering, the Optum Field Lounge is located in the south end zone at Gillette Stadium, on field level, and covers 20,000 square feet that includes a terrace, HD screens, and bars. According to the Patriots website, it’s perfect for corporate functions, holiday parties, and mitzvahs. And, Tuesday, it sounds as if it’ll be the stage for the Rolling Stones.

We’re told Tuesday’s dinner will be held in the lounge, but the show will be on the field, on a makeshift stage that workers were hurrying to set up Monday.

[www.bostonglobe.com]

EDIT: Boston Globe has essentially confirmed the rumor by removing the question mark in the original headline and updating the story to add that last line.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-25 02:39 by bye bye johnny.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: October 25, 2016 02:27

I guess this is no longer a secret.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: October 25, 2016 02:30

So, THIS is how they'll end the United States? I realize I've praised the band for being unsentimental before, but...did not care to see their name in the long list of musical whims of the Ameican football owner. But, paychecks a paycheck I know I miss mine.

Posted by: ohmercy61 ()
Date: October 25, 2016 02:36

Must be nice to be super rich...

Date: October 25, 2016 02:36

Will any lucky dips be available for this show? Thanks in advance.

Posted by: Gottheblues ()
Date: October 25, 2016 02:39

Didn't seem to be much of a secret according to the invatations that went out weeks ago.

Posted by: sarahunwin ()
Date: October 25, 2016 02:41

Gottheblues

Let me in - I love cheese - lol

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: October 25, 2016 02:44

sarahunwin
Gottheblues

Let me in - I love cheese - lol

Get this printed on a tshirt and turn up you might get lucky

Nate spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: October 25, 2016 02:48

Sad for me to see what my favorite band has a become,a jukebox full of hits for the rich and powerful,l guess they won't be playing Street Fighting Men,but hey they will make lots of money from this gig...>grinning smiley<

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Posted by: stone66 ()
Date: October 25, 2016 02:58

The show is going to be on the field, as in outdoors? But it will be 43 degrees (6.11 Celsius).

Can anyone rent a private helicopter to scope? Maybe if all Periscopers pitch in... Or maybe a blimp, as that would be less noisy and conspicuous.

Sooner or later, there's got to be a boot from at least one of these private shindigs.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 19

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1552
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home