Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 1 of 19
Private Rolling Stones show at Gillette Stadium, Foxboro/Boston Tuesday October 25
Posted by: bv ()
Date: October 4, 2016 23:02

This thread is dedicated to information about secret gigs in USA during October 2016. Plans may change, but there will probably be one or two secret gigs, probably private/corporate, i.e. paid for and contracted to individuals and/or corporations.

The first gig took place at the Bellagio Bellagio Convention Center, Las Vegas Oct 3. See this thread : [iorr.org]

-----

For earlier discussions on fall touring including the Desert Trip and Las Vegas shows please see this thread:

The Rolling Stones Fall 2016 mini tour : [iorr.org]

LA rehearsals : [iorr.org]

Bjornulf

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-25 08:54 by bv.

Re: Club gigs USA fall 2016
Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: October 5, 2016 03:43

Does anyone know if there are rumors of additional club/private/corporate shows, and if so, where and when are these alleged to being scheduled

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: October 5, 2016 15:40

stonesstein
Does anyone know if there are rumors of additional club/private/corporate shows, and if so, where and when are these alleged to being scheduled

Unfortunately, the first rule of a Stones private show is: you do not talk about a Stones private show. The second rule of a Stones private show is: you DO NOT talk about a Stones private show.

If I had to guess, I could probably name two members of this board who know exactly (or have some pretty good hunches) where and when the next show is taking place. Based on previous actions and their desire not to "out" their contacts within the Stones organization, I can almost guarantee that neither of them, nor anyone else with any 'official' knowledge will be making any statements here in advance of the show.

Note: If I am proven wrong, I will be INCREDIBLY happy for ANY IORRians who manage to get to see the Stones at a small show!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: October 6, 2016 05:36

mr_dja
stonesstein

Unfortunately, the first rule of a Stones private show is: you do not talk about a Stones private show. The second rule of a Stones private show is: you DO NOT talk about a Stones private show.

If I had to guess, I could probably name two members of this board who know exactly (or have some pretty good hunches) where and when the next show is taking place. Based on previous actions and their desire not to "out" their contacts within the Stones organization, I can almost guarantee that neither of them, nor anyone else with any 'official' knowledge will be making any statements here in advance of the show.

Note: If I am proven wrong, I will be INCREDIBLY happy for ANY IORRians who manage to get to see the Stones at a small show!

Peace,
Mr DJA

WOW, you could have sent a PM to this effect to me (instead of posting to the whole board), but oh well! At least all know you are right and I was wrong to even make such a post. There's a better way to handle things, but oh well. Peace to you, too.

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: October 6, 2016 20:00

STONESSTEIN, there was NOTHING wrong with your post! There are all of these ridiculous unspoken rules...how would folks know that it was breaking the rules to simply INQUIRE about a " private Stones gig"? Where there are rumors swirling around about special INTIMATE Stones shows, there will be curiousity and excitement. And if it WAS such a secret, why was the date and city mentioned on IORR last week? And DJA, I understand the need to keep some things quiet, but how do you prevent leaks like the one I mentioned. THAT person maybe should have been told about the RULES. Simply asking a question about a private show does not seem like a " violation" of any kind.

Date: October 6, 2016 20:18

There is nothing wrong in asking questions. I ask myself sometimes how I can win the lottery, but I never buy the ticket so I suppose I do know why I never win the lottery...

Club shows are secret, very secret, more secret than many army operations. It is in the contracts. It's all about crowd control, security and a lot more. A few people do have inside information, very true. But if inside information is made publicly available then the sources will dry out fast and nobody would do that.

There have been rumours about one or two corporate and private gigs this fall. The first one happened as expected in Las Vegas. The next one is still up in the air, it might happen, may be, may be not, probably the week after the two LV shows. If I had the exact date, time and address I would go there on my own, I would not post it in the New York Times. I would not mess up the works and the security of my favorite band.

Also, if the info I had was wrong, I was the only one spending some days and a large bit of money on my travel to a spot far away and I would not be blamed if there were a thousand or two others who queued up, only to see they cancel for some reason. So many reasons why secrets can not be public. Mick once said: "If it is a secret then it would not be a secret if we told you"...

Bjornulf

Date: October 6, 2016 20:42

Thanks for taking the time to expound on these secret shows. I do get the need to line up security and not alert people in advance of such a show. I was simply annoyed that the question STONESSTEIN asked was sort of pounced upon...simply because he posed a question. I was not surprised that the exact details were not provided here, and I sure do understand that they are some very important reasons for not divulging the details. I just thought that he was within his right to ask...hey, he didn't know all of the reasons for such secrecy.
I sure am curious myself about the details of the second " secret show"...and BV, has the secrecy been compromised because the actual date and city were mentioned here? In other words, do the Stones now have to scramble to change the date and place?

Posted by: Rollin92 ()
Date: October 6, 2016 20:57

bv
There is nothing wrong in asking questions. I ask myself sometimes how I can win the lottery, but I never buy the ticket so I suppose I do know why I never win the lottery...

Club shows are secret, very secret, more secret than many army operations. It is in the contracts. It's all about crowd control, security and a lot more. A few people do have inside information, very true. But if inside information is made publicly available then the sources will dry out fast and nobody would do that.

There have been rumours about one or two corporate and private gigs this fall. The first one happened as expected in Las Vegas. The next one is still up in the air, it might happen, may be, may be not, probably the week after the two LV shows. If I had the exact date, time and address I would go there on my own, I would not post it in the New York Times. I would not mess up the works and the security of my favorite band.

Also, if the info I had was wrong, I was the only one spending some days and a large bit of money on my travel to a spot far away and I would not be blamed if there were a thousand or two others who queued up, only to see they cancel for some reason. So many reasons why secrets can not be public. Mick once said: "If it is a secret then it would not be a secret if we told you"...

I really really hope they don't happen then but earlier. Really want one or two of them to show up to Bill's 80th gig.

Date: October 6, 2016 21:11

If have said this for many many years, since 1995 when they did Paradiso, Olympia and Brixton, i.e. 21 years... If you really want to experience a club show badly, I mean really, then you need to forget about work, family, economy and commitment for a long while. You need to spend all your time reading everything said, talking to everyone you know and you don't know and then you need to sort out the 95% wrong/misleading and 5% more or less accurate info into a plan where you may invest your travel and focus.

There will not be a ready "dinner table" when you are served with a date and a time and a city and a place and a VIP pass and a wristband and a ticket, unless you are very very inside, or just invited.

This goes for the public club shows they usually do ahead of a tour start. When it comes to private shows, you may listen from outside, but the chance of getting inside is like shaking hands with a president (I have shaken hands with Bill Clinton). Not very likely.

It is every Stones fan's true dream to be at and inside a club show. It is in our blood. It is in our genes. I wish there was a way to fit us all into a small room where Mick and Keith and Charlie and Ronnie were up there just for us, but it's hard, you know, very hard. There are so many rich people who offer five million US dollars or more for ninety minutes, we can't match that unfortunately. I am just a poor boy, after following the Stones for 45 years. Being a fan does not come with a fortune, but if you work hard, you may be rewarded by a riff or a glimpse of them. Just never give up! Remember, we are the salt of the earth. if we behave, and if we are at the right place and the right time and we are lucky, our dreams may come through. Until then, we have to settle with California and Las Vegas.

Bjornulf

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: October 6, 2016 21:55

It appears an apology is in order from me to stonesstein & mickschix...

The first line of my reply to stonesstein was actually a paraphrasing of a quote from the movie "Fight Club". I apologize that you all didn't catch the reference and apparently were offended by it. It was not my intention to imply that it was the official policy of the Stones or IORR.

However, in my own defense, in previous years/tours, I can remember incidents where discussing 'rumors of secret shows' HAS been frowned on here at IORR due to a fear that it would cause undesired consequences. I was and am actually really surprised to see this thread here. If I'm not mistaken, it's either the first or one of the first times we've had a thread on this topic here at IORR let alone as a "Sticky".

Again, sincere apologies to any and all who took my post in a way that I can assure you I did not intend it.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: October 7, 2016 00:03

That's OK Mr DJA. I have always know you to be a gentleman. I just was reacting, ( probably OVER reacting ) to what I thought was you chastising STONNESSTEIN for simply asking a question. It's ALL GOOD! cool smiley
And BV, the way you described these private clubs was PERFECT! It IS in our GENES!! ! What we wouldn't DO to get into such a show!!! I also would wish WE could hire the Stones to play just for us....all 1500 members here on IORR! Wouldn't that be the DREAM to end all dreams!? My ultimate Stones dream is to be an invisible person at one of their recording sessions, one that lasts ALL NIGHT! Lose your dreams and you WILL lose your mind! Peace to one and all and may some of us actually have a dream come true...real soon!

Posted by: mattleeuk ()
Date: October 7, 2016 02:44

Bjornulf so accurately describes the desire, “It is every Stones fan's true dream to be at and inside a club show. It is in our blood. It is in our genes.” The Rolling Stones bug first bit me hard on the 16th of July 1995 at Wembley Stadium. I spent the next three days madly but hopelessly trying to figure out how to get into the Brixton Academy but I failed. I didn’t know enough, I hadn’t a clue how the tickets would be sold, I didn’t know anything, I was just barking up all the wrong trees.

Four years later, still on a student budget, I was sleeping in airports and on the floors of kind fans across Europe. I had already travelled to seven countries to see the band and I would talk to other fans constantly on the internet. I was collecting everything I could find, trading and sharing my passion for my relatively new but all consuming hobby. Many took me under their wing and helped me. They remain among my very best friends today.

There were rumours of a club show following the gig in Sheffield. I was still very much the new kid on the block and had patchy information at best. Pretty much all I knew was that tickets were likely to be sold on the day before. I didn’t want to miss Sheffield, the city of my birth on such sketchy intelligence so on arrival at Don Valley Stadium myself and my three friends pretended we had to leave for a Wedding in Paris the next day. The stewards let us park right at the exit and having pre fuelled and stocked up on snacks we were ready for a quick getaway. We were the first car to arrive in London and find the queue of 20-30 people that had already formed outside Tower Records (one of the likely places). A nervous 10 hours followed on a cold London pavement but all the tiredness disappeared when finally I had my wristband and ticket.

Determined to make the most of this amazing opportunity, I went home, had a brief sleep, showered and left for London again (I was living at home with my parents in Cambridge at the time). Myself and my fellow first timers were well inside the first 10 to arrive at the venue. Many, many more hours later the doors opened the next evening and I managed to be literally right in the middle of the rail, if I was hooked post Wembley 95 I was now fully addicted.

Later that year I moved to London to make my way in the world. I joined great company but didn’t enjoy my job (at that time) and could be found searching for Mick, Charlie and Ronnie by night who were all living in London at the time. I would find Ronnie most often, always having something interesting from his solo career for him to sign and a spare copy to give him. I would be polite, respectful and only go to public places I thought he would go and wait patiently away from the door. I got better and better at it to the point he started to tell me where he would be, discretion never having been his strongest quality. In total we met about 40 times throughout the year 2000.

So many more great experiences were to come and hopefully many more but Shepherds Bush 1999 will always hold a special place in my memory. Only recently was I privileged enough to be able to invite one of my Shepherds Bush companions who is still a great friend to the very special Fonda show.

As Bjornulf explains, it’s never easy but I remain completely determined to go to every special show that I can and as many of the others as possible too. For sure it has got easier, you get to know the patterns, you get to understand what is bullshit and what has elements of truth. I am not denying I have been incredibly lucky and much more recently had generous lashings of help but for 12 years it was 100% down to me. I would figure out where and when, team up with friends to work shifts through the night to buy tickets online or queue overnight where they were likely to be sold. Furthermore, once I have a ticket in hand that is just the beginning. I was absolutely first in line at Astoria, Trebendo, Fonda, Echoplex and several others… and well inside the first 10 at pretty much every other club show I’ve been to.

For newbies my strong advice would be to only target public club shows, forget the private ones or you will just lose heart and /or be a nuisance, two things that are only going to set back your ambition.

You have to travel with hope and determination and there are never any guarantees but if you put in the effort you will inspire others that have been on the same journey and they will help you.

For me there is no greater pleasure than to share my passion.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: October 7, 2016 09:24

Very well said, Matt! thumbs up

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: October 7, 2016 12:32

bv
You need to spend all your time .....

Absolutely true

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: October 7, 2016 12:33

mattleeuk

YES

-------------------

Date: October 7, 2016 12:36

mr_dja
I apologize that you all didn't catch the reference and apparently were offended by it.

I didn't see your post as offending. Just the simple truth.

-------------------

Posted by: Rollin92 ()
Date: October 7, 2016 13:14

mattleeuk
Bjornulf so accurately describes the desire, “It is every Stones fan's true dream to be at and inside a club show. It is in our blood. It is in our genes.” The Rolling Stones bug first bit me hard on the 16th of July 1995 at Wembley Stadium. I spent the next three days madly but hopelessly trying to figure out how to get into the Brixton Academy but I failed. I didn’t know enough, I hadn’t a clue how the tickets would be sold, I didn’t know anything, I was just barking up all the wrong trees.

Four years later, still on a student budget, I was sleeping in airports and on the floors of kind fans across Europe. I had already travelled to seven countries to see the band and I would talk to other fans constantly on the internet. I was collecting everything I could find, trading and sharing my passion for my relatively new but all consuming hobby. Many took me under their wing and helped me. They remain among my very best friends today.

There were rumours of a club show following the gig in Sheffield. I was still very much the new kid on the block and had patchy information at best. Pretty much all I knew was that tickets were likely to be sold on the day before. I didn’t want to miss Sheffield, the city of my birth on such sketchy intelligence so on arrival at Don Valley Stadium myself and my three friends pretended we had to leave for a Wedding in Paris the next day. The stewards let us park right at the exit and having pre fuelled and stocked up on snacks we were ready for a quick getaway. We were the first car to arrive in London and find the queue of 20-30 people that had already formed outside Tower Records (one of the likely places). A nervous 10 hours followed on a cold London pavement but all the tiredness disappeared when finally I had my wristband and ticket.

Determined to make the most of this amazing opportunity, I went home, had a brief sleep, showered and left for London again (I was living at home with my parents in Cambridge at the time). Myself and my fellow first timers were well inside the first 10 to arrive at the venue. Many, many more hours later the doors opened the next evening and I managed to be literally right in the middle of the rail, if I was hooked post Wembley 95 I was now fully addicted.

Later that year I moved to London to make my way in the world. I joined great company but didn’t enjoy my job (at that time) and could be found searching for Mick, Charlie and Ronnie by night who were all living in London at the time. I would find Ronnie most often, always having something interesting from his solo career for him to sign and a spare copy to give him. I would be polite, respectful and only go to public places I thought he would go and wait patiently away from the door. I got better and better at it to the point he started to tell me where he would be, discretion never having been his strongest quality. In total we met about 40 times throughout the year 2000.

So many more great experiences were to come and hopefully many more but Shepherds Bush 1999 will always hold a special place in my memory. Only recently was I privileged enough to be able to invite one of my Shepherds Bush companions who is still a great friend to the very special Fonda show.

As Bjornulf explains, it’s never easy but I remain completely determined to go to every special show that I can and as many of the others as possible too. For sure it has got easier, you get to know the patterns, you get to understand what is bullshit and what has elements of truth. I am not denying I have been incredibly lucky and much more recently had generous lashings of help but for 12 years it was 100% down to me. I would figure out where and when, team up with friends to work shifts through the night to buy tickets online or queue overnight where they were likely to be sold. Furthermore, once I have a ticket in hand that is just the beginning. I was absolutely first in line at Astoria, Trebendo, Fonda, Echoplex and several others… and well inside the first 10 at pretty much every other club show I’ve been to.

For newbies my strong advice would be to only target public club shows, forget the private ones or you will just lose heart and /or be a nuisance, two things that are only going to set back your ambition.

You have to travel with hope and determination and there are never any guarantees but if you put in the effort you will inspire others that have been on the same journey and they will help you.

Brilliantly put smileys with beer

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: October 7, 2016 15:31

mattleeuk

Brilliant post sir! I enjoyed reading that. It's a real insight into the dedication needed to pursue your passion in life, whether that be the Stones or anything else. Very well worded too.

Date: October 7, 2016 17:28

That was wonderful, Matt! I no longer have the freedom to pick up in the middle of the night ( or day) and wait for days in line. I have responsibilities that cannot be just left behind...unfortunately. For those of you that still can, DO IT! I am certain it's worth all of the effort! tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: October 7, 2016 20:27

mattleeuk

Nice story and it shows the only place you will find success without hard work is in the dictionary.

Enjoy the the rest of the shows in the states

Nate thumbs up

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: October 7, 2016 21:45

Yes, to get into a club show is probably the biggest dream of most of the fans. It is mine.

But I just have a feeling that the time is running out and there will not be many more public club gigs. I mean, 20 years ago, you would still have time to learn and improve the "technique" in the following years. But these days, if you miss one because you did one little thing wrong, will you get a second chance?

I just have the feeling that I missed the train (though I was not even born 16 years ago). For a beginner like me it's so hard to find out where to start.
And if I can't manage to do it, I will probably ask myself the whole life: Why didn't you do this? Why didn't you try that?

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: October 8, 2016 02:28

MonkeyMan2000
Yes, to get into a club show is probably the biggest dream of most of the fans. It is mine.

But I just have a feeling that the time is running out and there will not be many more public club gigs. I mean, 20 years ago, you would still have time to learn and improve the "technique" in the following years. But these days, if you miss one because you did one little thing wrong, will you get a second chance?

I just have the feeling that I missed the train (though I was not even born 16 years ago). For a beginner like me it's so hard to find out where to start.
And if I can't manage to do it, I will probably ask myself the whole life: Why didn't you do this? Why didn't you try that?

Great to learn that the band are still attracting teenage fans now. Are there many others that you know of ? How are the Stones viewed generally by your age group ?

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: October 8, 2016 03:33

grzegorz67
MonkeyMan2000

Great to learn that the band are still attracting teenage fans now. Are there many others that you know of ? How are the Stones viewed generally by your age group ?

Well, in my circle of friends I turned a die-hard Pink Floyd fan onto the Stones (wich was very hard - and he still prefers Pink Floyd) and I know of a few others who are Blues or Rock fans and certainly like the Stones (I live in a small valley with not much population)
But mostly the situation doesn't look good, mainly because most of the teenagers don't actually listen to music: They do it on the bus or on the train whilst being on the cellphone. But I rarely meet someone who just sits down at home and does nothing other than listen - regardless what kind of genre. They do it just to kill time. I think if they would take the time, most of them would start to appreciate the music.
I once had to make a presentation at school about my favorite song. I chose Gimme Shelter and a few classmates said: That's actually not that bad!
Then there are many people who can't tell the Stones from AC/DC and such.
But everyone still knows the opening riff of Satisfaction, Gimme Shelter is known from films and SFTD from some video game.
And then rarely you hear Satisfaction at a party, together with Johnny B Goode and those kind of things.

Maybe we should open a thread for that in the future smileys with beer

Posted by: Thru and Thru ()
Date: October 8, 2016 07:07

Great post Matt, so true! If only I had your stamina, sadly I just can't do it anymore now. I can't complain though, I have been lucky enough to make it to the front rail at a club show a few times, I feel blessed for those opportunities.

Lose your dreams and you will lose your mind...

Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: October 9, 2016 05:38

MonkeyMan2000

A feeling? This is it, after Europe in 2017 the band is retiring.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: October 9, 2016 10:55

MonkeyMan2000
I will probably ask myself the whole life : Why didn't you do this? Why didn't you try that?

Don't worry you'll quickly move to more important matters. Life can be hard on you... Missing a club-gig won't matter much.

Posted by: henrik87 ()
Date: October 9, 2016 14:27

roller99
MonkeyMan2000

roller99 do you have more information on the European tour like tour start, announcement and rumored cities?

Posted by: tioms ()
Date: October 9, 2016 14:48

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-25 19:48 by tioms.

Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: October 9, 2016 22:43

henrik87
roller99
MonkeyMan2000

roller99 do you have more information on the European tour like tour start, announcement and rumored cities?
I don't, sorry.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: October 9, 2016 22:52

MonkeyMan2000

Where there's a will there's a way. winking smiley

Goto Page: 1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 1 of 19

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1384
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home