Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...107108109110111112113114115116117Next
Current Page: 116 of 117
Re: The Rolling Stones new blues album "Blue & Lonesome" due out Dec 2
Date: January 29, 2018 08:39

35love
stonehearted
Should've shown up to play a track or two as a featured performer.

Would've been one of the evening's highlights, to prove their staying power.

Could've picked up more album sales and a few new fans.

Might've resulted in an increased media presence ahead of their next tour, not to mention the new album.

The show is/was horrid.
As usual, the RS are grades above.

ETA: I did like Rihanna, and the NY subway comedy sketch was good, and the country song performace ‘Better Man’ written by Taylor Swift

What about Gary Clarke's Maybelline? Our CBII was there, too, I heard. Didn't catch the show myself smiling smiley

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: January 29, 2018 09:09

Was Jagger at the show? That's what gets him in trouble hob-knobbin' with the music types getting bad ideas......lol

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: January 29, 2018 09:44

DandelionPowderman
35love
stonehearted

Might've resulted in an increased media presence ahead of their next tour, not to mention the new album.

The show is/was horrid.

ETA: I did like Rihanna, and the NY subway comedy sketch was good, and the country song performace ‘Better Man’ written by Taylor Swift

What about Gary Clarke's Maybelline? Our CBII was there, too, I heard. Didn't catch the show myself smiling smiley

Ya, I wrote this couple posts back:
‘Oh and Gary Clark Jr (saw him open for the RS!)
Fats Domino/ Chuck Berry set
w/ Jon Batiste
fantastic’
I watch the Grammys w/ my youngest girl, who likes music. After ‘Tears In Heaven’ followed by Keisha the other women started their thing, the show lost it’s groove, we didn’t watch the rest (and knowing no RS)
I don’t know what a CBII -

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-29 09:46 by 35love.

Date: January 29, 2018 10:05

35love
DandelionPowderman
35love
stonehearted

The show is/was horrid.

w/ Jon Batiste
fantastic’
I watch the Grammys w/ my youngest girl, who likes music. After ‘Tears In Heaven’ followed by Keisha the other women started their thing, the show lost it’s groove, we didn’t watch the rest (and knowing no RS)

Cool, I noticed now (after getting my morning coffee!).

CBII is Chuck Berry's son. He posts here.

Date: January 29, 2018 12:15

w/ Jon Batiste
fantastic’

(DP)Cool, I noticed now (after getting my morning coffee!).

CBII is Chuck Berry's son. He posts here.

*they showed him in the audience, I thought ‘cool’
That set was too quick, would have dug more covers from that trio (drummer unknown to me)

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: January 29, 2018 14:24

B&L was released in 2016, so why a Grammy for 2017?

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: January 29, 2018 14:38

Koen
B&L was released in 2016, so why a Grammy for 2017?

What are the eligibility requirements?
For the 60th Annual GRAMMY Awards, albums must be released between Oct. 1, 2016, and Sept. 30, 2017. Recordings must be commercially released in general distribution in the United States, i.e. sales by label to a branch or recognized independent distributor, via the internet or mail order/retail sales for a nationally marketed product. Recordings must be available for sale from any date within the eligibility period through at least the date of the current year’s voting deadline (final ballot).

[www.grammy.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: January 29, 2018 14:54

Wonder why The Stones turn up for the much derided RRHOF awards but not the Grammys?

Date: January 29, 2018 15:07

jlowe
Wonder why The Stones turn up for the much derided RRHOF awards but not the Grammys?

Was the blues cathegory aired at all? If not, I think you have the answer right there..

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: January 29, 2018 15:18

DandelionPowderman
jlowe

Was the blues cathegory aired at all? If not, I think you have the answer right there..

Aah...could be.
But if Mick and/or Keith were up for attending, maybe it would have been televised.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 29, 2018 16:10

Couldn't care a shit about Grammies, but great to see the Stones getting one. After the sales of 2.5 million copies for an item in the anorak category of 'traditional blues album', there surely wasn't any reasonable doubt for that. A phenomenon is a phenomenon. Besides it is a goddamn wonderful album. Altogether, BLUE & LONESOME turned out to be an incredible success in many ways (commercially, artistically, critically - who knows, even philosophically). A nice little latter-day winning leg of its own in the legacy of The Rolling Stones in popularizing the blues. A great, aesthetically fitting addition to their already fascinating story.

Congratulations! I am sure Brian Jones and Ian Stewart would be proud of ya, guys!

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-29 16:17 by Doxa.

Date: January 29, 2018 16:25

jlowe
DandelionPowderman
jlowe

Aah...could be.
But if Mick and/or Keith were up for attending, maybe it would have been televised.

No the category is not one that warrants prime time airing. Great that they won!!thumbs up

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: January 29, 2018 16:26

Doxa
Couldn't care a shit about Grammies, but great to see the Stones getting one. After the sales of 2.5 million copies for an item in the anorak category of 'traditional blues album', there surely wasn't any reasonable doubt for that. A phenomenon is a phenomenon. Besides it is a goddamn wonderful album. Altogether, BLUE & LONESOME turned out to be an incredible success in many ways (commercially, artistically, critically - who knows, even philosophically). A nice little latter-day winning leg of its own in the legacy of The Rolling Stones in popularizing the blues. A great, aesthetically fitting addition to their already fascinating story.

Congratulations! I am sure Brian Jones and Ian Stewart would be proud of ya, guys!

- Doxa

smileys with beerhot smiley
Jeroen

Date: January 29, 2018 16:39

Doxa

- Doxa

Well said!
I do/ have tuned into the Grammy’s, there are some good performances in there every year (sift through)
I turned it off last night after, what I felt, was a show that got too ‘preachy’
I have no idea what Bono was saying through his red, white, and blue American flag megaphone, but be sure it was highly moral eye rolling smiley
Then I read today Hilary Clinton was reading passages from a book laughing and degrading USA -
Yeah.
Glad the Stones were NOT there.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: January 29, 2018 16:59

Look at the history of who was winning awards when the Stones were making Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers and Exile, such a joke award.

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: January 29, 2018 17:04

I watched last night...
but I only made it about 10-15 seconds into show when this angry kid started grabbing his crotch and shouting at the screen. He was surrounded by military troops or something, it was very unpleasant and certainly not music. So I changed the channel.

I will try again next year... and the year after. I have hope and optimism that someday music will be about music again... but for now it seems it is mostly about somebody yelling over computer drum beats.

Back in the day I (think I) used to enjoy watching the grammys ( but it might have been another music awards show)... and I hope to enjoy watching it again some day.

Congrats to The Stones for making a great blues album, it will still be heard in 2150, people will smile and tap their feets to the music... actual music

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-29 17:11 by Leonioid.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: January 29, 2018 17:07

Keith Richards:

"Fantastic! It's about f-cking time!"

[twitter.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-29 17:07 by MisterDDDD.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: January 29, 2018 17:12

MisterDDDD
Keith Richards:

[twitter.com]

You are my Man, keef!!
About @#$%& Time..
See ya in Scotland,Ireland and Wales..maybe Amsterdam soon.
jeroen

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: January 29, 2018 17:14

Grammy fact.
The only Grammys Elvis won were for gospel music.
I don't think gospel music is a Grammy category anymore. it is

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-29 17:15 by Leonioid.

Date: January 29, 2018 17:57

Doxa

- Doxa

I wonder about Mick Taylor though. tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: January 29, 2018 18:04

MisterDDDD
Keith Richards:

[twitter.com]

Did Keith forget they won a Grammy for “Voodoo Lounge”?

Date: January 29, 2018 18:12

Congrats to The Rolling Stones for the Grammy win - Blue and Lonesome!
It was much deserved and long overdue - they should have won several more album of the year grammys for their outstanding rock albums over the years - way better than any albums by U2
It's interesting that they won for a blues album when you consider their incredible rock history
Keep up the good work - Cheers!

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 29, 2018 18:17

TheflyingDutchman
Doxa

- Doxa

Or Bill Wyman...winking smiley

- Doxa

Date: January 29, 2018 18:32

Doxa
TheflyingDutchman
Doxa

- Doxa

Or Bill Wyman...winking smiley

- Doxa

Correct Sir, holistic thinking versus fandom -here I go again. winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-29 18:43 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: timmyj3 ()
Date: January 29, 2018 20:43

The Grammys up until probably the 80's usually ignored current popular music. It was almost a establishment vs. anti-establishment in the 60's with Grammys. They were far more willing to give a grammy to Sinatra rather than the Stones or the Kinks.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: January 29, 2018 20:44

Hairball
Just realized it is being aired live right now on the west coast and repeated later.
Tuned in to see Elton with someone butchering the vocals to Tiny Dancer - turns out it's Miley Cyrus?!!! Wow she's bad.
Nice of Elton to appear AND perform even though he could have/should have picked a better duet partner.
Too bad no Stones!!! Won't even get to see a taped thank you speech!

The prejudice by stones fans to popstars is laughable.
There was absolutely nothing wrong with Miley Cyrus.
She did good. Don’t like her music very much, but she’s in it for all the right reasons.

‘Butchering’....jesus...

Posted by: angee ()
Date: January 29, 2018 20:58

I enjoyed the tribute by to C Berry, and a couple of other numbers.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: January 29, 2018 21:17

BowieStone
Hairball
Just realized it is being aired live right now on the west coast and repeated later.
Tuned in to see Elton with someone butchering the vocals to Tiny Dancer - turns out it's Miley Cyrus?!!! Wow she's bad.
Nice of Elton to appear AND perform even though he could have/should have picked a better duet partner.

She did good. Don’t like her music very much, but she’s in it for all the right reasons.

‘Butchering’....jesus...

Hairball will bounce back and say something nice now that you've called him out....always does...

Date: January 29, 2018 21:41

BowieStone
Hairball

‘Butchering’....jesus...

Have to agree, Miley has gone country lately and it definitely has that vibe on her side. I didn't listen to the whole song(lol), but her voice reminded me of Stevie Nicks.....

Date: January 29, 2018 21:49

MelBelli
MisterDDDD
Keith Richards:

[twitter.com]

Did Keith forget they won a Grammy for “Voodoo Lounge”?

1995 The Rolling Stones Voodoo Lounge
Pearl Jam – Vs.
R.E.M. – Monster
Soundgarden – Superunknown
Neil Young and Crazy Horse – Sleeps with Angels

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...107108109110111112113114115116117Next
Current Page: 116 of 117

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2167
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home