Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...107108109110111112113114115116117Next
Current Page: 114 of 117
Re: Grammy Nomination
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 30, 2017 19:33

MisterDDDD

You consistently attack fans

Attack fans? confused smiley

Is critiquing the Stones actually seen as a personal attack on fans in your eyes?

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: November 30, 2017 19:35

Hairball
MisterDDDD

Is critiquing the Stones actually seen as a personal attack on fans in your eyes?

Dude.

Date: November 30, 2017 19:04

"And have to say, there's some who would give the Stones a Grammy if they all farted into a microphone in unison "

Date: November 30, 2017 19:41

MisterDDDD
Hairball
MisterDDDD

Dude.

Date: November 30, 2017 19:04

"And have to say, there's some who would give the Stones a Grammy if they all farted into a microphone in unison "

Come on it was not a personal attack on fans but more of a comment on the Grammy committee and voters...you took that sentence completely out of context as it initially directly followed this:

But as keefriff said regarding the Vooodoo lounge win:
"Hey, these guys are old and famous and everyone knows them...let's just give them one as a stand-in for a lifetime achievement award"!

followed immediately by my senetence:

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 30, 2017 21:31

MisterDDDD
DandelionPowderman
That's how real blues albums are made smoking smiley

"Quote
Hairball

I said I don't think they've "earned" the grammy for B&L due to it being a covers album recorded in two or three days"

Agree... just looking for consistency from the critics.. cool smiley

So... Willie Nelson didn't "earn" his Grammy for AMERICAN CLASSIC or WILLIE AND THE WHEEL then?

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: November 30, 2017 21:45

MisterDDDD
Hairball
MisterDDDD you did more research than me!
Have to admit I never heard of either of those two (R L Boyce and Guy Davis) before yesterday, and found a couple videos to listen to - both of which were great!
That said, I stand by my choice - gotta go with the underdogs.thumbs up

Quote from Co-Producer Luther Dickinson (North Mississippi Allstars) on R.L. Boyce:

"This is the most important honest to God Hill Country Blues Record made since R.L. Burnside's A Ass Pocket Of Whisky".

First choice R.L. Boyce for the win!

Well then.If the producer of the album says it's great..
that changes everything winking smiley

Your (predictable) knee-jerk reaction to discredit the Stones has actually bolstered my opinion that they have earned it and should win going away..

This is the guy's second ever album, while I'm sure it's good, the Stones were recording and immersing themselves in the blues while this guy was in short pants.

You might want to check your history MisterDDDD (although, in this case, it won't help your argument at all).

Although you're correct that the Stones hit the recording studio before Boyce and it is only his 2nd album, you're about as far from accurate as you could be on the rest of your assumptions. In the early 60's, the Stones may have been "immersing themselves" in the blues but, (since 1955) while R.L. Boyce was in "short pants" he was LIVING them. In North Mississippi. With the ORIGINAL artists and their families, some of whom he's actually related to. That's where he was immersed in the blues.

Also, while it's easy to dismiss the opinions of a record's producer, you might want to check the credentials of the producers knowledge of the subject first before dismissing them out of hand. I'd be willing to bet that Luther Dickinson knows more about the history, traditions and origins of Hill Country Blues than the sum combined total of the members of this board. Again, he has lived it, with his family and many of the original artists and their descendants.

Personally, I'm not in a position to say which album I think should win the Grammy as I haven't listened to all of the albums nominated. I plan on doing that this weekend as they're all available in their entirety on youtube. While it will be (admittedly) difficult to listen without prejudice (I am a Stones fan, after all) I will be attempting to do so. I'm also an Eric Bibb fan so I'll have to be careful not to be biased in his favor too.

Maybe it's possible for you to do the same. Maybe not. Maybe Hairball has closed your ears and your mind to listening to and hearing what is on the other nominated albums and forming an educated conclusion for yourself. That would be a shame as I think you'd probably be missing out on some good stuff. I personally am looking forward to my weekend listening session. I plan on doing the same for the Grammy "Contemporary Blues" nominees just to hear what the difference between the two categories might sound like.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: November 30, 2017 21:59

You had me at "R.L. Burnside." I'm excited about R.L. Boyce. We can rip the Grammys all we want, but they give global exposure to artists who would otherwise go ignored. We're even debating him at iorr. The Stones wouldn't begrudge losing to him, or to the other nominees.

Date: November 30, 2017 22:13

mr_dja
MisterDDDD
Hairball
Have to admit I never heard of either of those two (R L Boyce and Guy Davis) before yesterday, and found a couple videos to listen to - both of which were great!

Quote from Co-Producer Luther Dickinson (North Mississippi Allstars) on R.L. Boyce:

"This is the most important honest to God Hill Country Blues Record made since R.L. Burnside's A Ass Pocket Of Whisky".

Your (predictable) knee-jerk reaction to discredit the Stones has actually bolstered my opinion that they have earned it and should win going away..

This is the guy's second ever album, while I'm sure it's good, the Stones were recording and immersing themselves in the blues while this guy was in short pants.

You might want to check your history MisterDDDD (although, in this case, it won't help your argument at all).

Although you're correct that the Stones hit the recording studio before Boyce and it is only his 2nd album, you're about as far from accurate as you could be on the rest of your assumptions. In the early 60's, the Stones may have been "immersing themselves" in the blues but, (since 1955) while R.L. Boyce was in "short pants" he was LIVING them. In North Mississippi. With the ORIGINAL artists and their families, some of whom he's actually related to. That's where he was immersed in the blues.

Also, while it's easy to dismiss the opinions of a record's producer, you might want to check the credentials of the producers knowledge of the subject first before dismissing them out of hand. I'd be willing to bet that Luther Dickinson knows more about the history, traditions and origins of Hill Country Blues than the sum combined total of the members of this board. Again, he has lived it, with his family and many of the original artists and their descendants.

Personally, I'm not in a position to say which album I think should win the Grammy as I haven't listened to all of the albums nominated. I plan on doing that this weekend as they're all available in their entirety on youtube. While it will be (admittedly) difficult to listen without prejudice (I am a Stones fan, after all) I will be attempting to do so. I'm also an Eric Bibb fan so I'll have to be careful not to be biased in his favor too.

Maybe it's possible for you to do the same. Maybe not. Maybe Hairball has closed your ears and your mind to listening to and hearing what is on the other nominated albums and forming an educated conclusion for yourself. That would be a shame as I think you'd probably be missing out on some good stuff. I personally am looking forward to my weekend listening session. I plan on doing the same for the Grammy "Contemporary Blues" nominees just to hear what the difference between the two categories might sound like.

Peace,
Mr DJA

"Peace" he says. Lol.

Unclinch I say.

Was merely making a point re the ages and musical experience levels of the competitors. Was well aware of his history and upbringing (I was the one that posted the link and the accurate info on his album)

I knew it was a stretch to compare the Stones blues experience to his, but the point was it is his second album.. and the Stones have earned the right on so many levels to be considered bluesmen.

Also, well aware of the producers history and his lineage (again, the person I was responding to had used the producers words and little else (?)) as evidence of greatness and reason to win over the Stones.

Tough crowd.

Date: November 30, 2017 22:16

P.S. Buy the signed, $15 R.L. CD here:

[waxploitation.com]

Date: November 30, 2017 22:18

DeanGoodman
You had me at "R.L. Burnside." I'm excited about R.L. Boyce. We can rip the Grammys all we want, but they give global exposure to artists who would otherwise go ignored. We're even debating him at iorr. The Stones wouldn't begrudge losing to him, or to the other nominees.

Italics are close to my thoughts as well. I'm trying to keep my mind free and clear until I listen to all the nominated albums this weekend but, based on the couple of tracks I sampled yesterday, it won't surprise me at all if I end up at amazon sometime Sunday afternoon with Boyce's album in my cart.

Peace,
Mr. DJA

Edit ->
Dean, I just saw your follow up post... I'll skip amazon and send my money straight to R.L. Thanks for sharing the link!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-30 22:20 by mr_dja.

Date: November 30, 2017 22:19

mr_dja
MisterDDDD
Hairball

Peace,
Mr DJA

Many great points you make there Mr DJA.thumbs up

Having listened to a couple of tunes yesterday from artists I was unfamiliar with in this traditional blues category (R.L. Boyce and Guy Davis) it was an eye opener as to what the Stones are up against. Haven't had the time to learn about or listen to Eric Bibb, but will do later, and I take your word he is a worthy for the award. I'm familiar with Elvin Bishop, but not his nominated album - will also take the time to listen to that. Maybe there's a bit of bias on my part with my two picks so far (R.L. Boyce and *Guy Davis)- picking American musicians from the land where the blues was born. If so, I plead guilty. Add the fact that I never fully grew attached to the Stones covers on B&L (it was OK), then it shouldn't be considered a sin to have a differing opinion than others here.

*Interesting to note that Fabrisio Poggii (the harmonica player who plays with Guy Davis) is originally from Italy...quite a distance from the American blues scene, but man that guy can play and has quite a list of accolades and credentials!

Fabrizio Poggi

"He has performed in the US and Europe with The Blind Boys of Alabama, Garth Hudson of The Band, Steve Cropper, Charlie Musselwhite, Ronnie Earl, John P. Hammond, Marcia Ball, Guy Davis, Eric Bibb, Flaco Jimenez, Little Feat and many others"

If nothing else, the Grammy's have opened my eyes and ears to artists I might not have heard of otherwise, so they're really not a total waste of time.

MisterDDDD
Also, well aware of the producers history and his lineage (again, the person I was responding to had used the producers words and little else (?)) as evidence of greatness and reason to win over the Stones.

I also had my personal opinion after listening to some of his tunes yesterday, and am well aware of Luther Dickinson of North Mississippi Allstars (I own all their cd's), and his father Jim Dickinson.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-30 22:42 by Hairball.

Date: November 30, 2017 22:20

Anyway.. before this thread goes completely down the Hairball hole
(personal attacks, band attacks)... would just like to add..

Love the Stones
Hope they win, (not sure if it's the best of the year, but it's excellent) because I'm a big fan, of them and the album.

Seems weird to know that some actually immediately root against them in favor artists they know little (or nothing) about. I've researched ( little) and listened to at least a track from every nominee. Good times.

Date: November 30, 2017 22:40

MisterDDDD
Anyway.. before this thread goes completely down the Hairball hole
(personal attacks, band attacks)... would just like to add..

Love the Stones
Hope they win, (not sure if it's the best of the year, but it's excellent) because I'm a big fan, of them and the album.

Seems weird to know that some actually immediately root against them in favor artists they know little (or nothing) about. I've researched ( little) and listened to at least a track from every nominee. Good times.

Sorry MisterDDDD, but your implications of "personal attacks,band attacks" and "immediately root against" the Stones directed at me are totally off base, false, and incorrect. In your haste to condemn me out of your zealousness over the Stones, you seemed to have overlooked a few of my first replies in this thread:

"Whether they get the ultimate win or not, a nomination alone can be seen as a win no matter what considering it's an album of covers".

"Seems the Stones have been snubbed - maybe they'll bring in the trophy this year, and even better maybe they'll be invited to perform one of their blues covers".

"That said, I hope they win it, and better yet hope they perform a tune from it at the Grammy's"!

And then I took some time to listen to the other nominees which put everything under a different light.
Still hope the Stones win, but there's a difference between hoping and thinking that others might deserve it more.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-30 22:42 by Hairball.

Date: November 30, 2017 23:11

MisterDDDD
"Peace" he says. Lol.

Unclinch I say.

Was merely making a point re the ages and musical experience levels of the competitors. Was well aware of his history and upbringing (I was the one that posted the link and the accurate info on his album)

I knew it was a stretch to compare the Stones blues experience to his, but the point was it is his second album.. and the Stones have earned the right on so many levels to be considered bluesmen.

Tough crowd.

And peace he meant as well. You can laugh it off all you want. Feel free to insult me as to your desires. I will still extend a wish of peace to you no matter how much it offends you.

"Unclinch", you say? Would you care to explain that? Probably best that you don't as I'm pretty sure it was meant as an insult. But that's what you wanted, right? Throw an insult at me while condemning me for offering peace?

I'll bow out now as you've made it apparent that you're not looking for a conversation. Maybe someone else will provide you with whatever it is you're seeking.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: November 30, 2017 23:26

Even after listening to the competition(thoroughly enjoyable), I think the Stones will take the Grammy. Amount of sales plus musicianship is much better.

Date: November 30, 2017 23:58

mr_dja
And peace he meant as well. You can laugh it off all you want. Feel free to insult me as to your desires. I will still extend a wish of peace to you no matter how much it offends you.

"Unclinch", you say? Would you care to explain that? Probably best that you don't as I'm pretty sure it was meant as an insult. But that's what you wanted, right? Throw an insult at me while condemning me for offering peace?

I'll bow out now as you've made it apparent that you're not looking for a conversation. Maybe someone else will provide you with whatever it is you're seeking.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Love conversations.
You lead your reply to me with a bunch of false assumptions/personal attacks, then without a hint of irony, end with "Peace". Not exactly conducive to civil conversation.

You made valid points that I don't necessarily disagree with.
Hard to respond civilly to such remarks as "You may want to check your facts, when I was providing the links to the facts you assume I didn't know.

I'll explain "unclinch" if necessary.
It means lighten up, Sally..

I made several valid points in response to the poster who deemed the other albums more worthy while admittedly acknowledging he'd "never heard of them" prior to this thread while slamming the stones effort (only covers..done in two days) etc., while the ones he was promoting did same/similar.Then you decide in your peaceful way to attack my take on the recordings?? Good Lawd.
Peace Out

Date: December 1, 2017 00:22

MisterDDDD
admittedly acknowledging he'd "never heard of them" prior to this thread

Yes this is true- and then I decided to form an opinion by listening to a couple of the other nominees - both of which I thought were a better choice for the win.
I already know how I feel about B&L, so it was nice to hear what they were up against.

GasLightStreet

VOODOO LOUNGE beat out VS, MONSTER and SUPERUNKNOWN?

That's beyond ridiculous. What's even more ridiculous is that SOME GIRLS, of all Stones things they nominated, didn't win.

Yes, and there was also Neil Young and Crazy Horse's Sleep With Angels album which would should have won by a landslide imo.

As for Somes Girls losing, as Dean Goodman pointed out it was going against Saturday Night Fever, and no matter what one thinks of the music on that it was a HUGE International success. Still, would have been nice for Some Girls to get the win. Maybe the Grammy's will redeem themselves this year for all the snubs of the past and hand it to the Stones? But most of us agree the Grammys are pretty much worthless anyways, and with a sub-category like 'Best Traditional Blues album", not even sure if it's part of the televised ceremony or done prior to the ceremony - similar to "Best Spoken Word album". Having not watched it in years, not sure what takes place other than a bunch of performances by young artists, and some of the major categories like "Best Album award" or "Best New Artist award".

Date: December 1, 2017 00:57

Hairball
... not even sure if it's part of the televised ceremony or done prior to the ceremony - similar to "Best Spoken Word album". Having not watched it in years, not sure what takes place other than a bunch of performances by young artists, and some of the major categories like "Best Album award" or "Best New Artist award".

A dozen categories at most (out of 84) will be televised. The others are given out earlier that afternoon in a fast-paced ceremony that you can live-stream. The main event is mostly a performance show, and you can't fault the organizers: TV viewers don't care to see an endless stream of luvvies thanking God, their manager and their publicist. Performances cover the spectrum - remember Mick kinda stole the show a few years ago.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-01 01:00 by DeanGoodman.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: December 1, 2017 01:52

DeanGoodman
Hairball
... not even sure if it's part of the televised ceremony or done prior to the ceremony - similar to "Best Spoken Word album". Having not watched it in years, not sure what takes place other than a bunch of performances by young artists, and some of the major categories like "Best Album award" or "Best New Artist award".

A dozen categories at most (out of 84) will be televised. The others are given out earlier that afternoon in a fast-paced ceremony that you can live-stream. The main event is mostly a performance show, and you can't fault the organizers: TV viewers don't care to see an endless stream of luvvies thanking God, their manager and their publicist. Performances cover the spectrum - remember Mick kinda stole the show a few years ago.

Mmm I DO remember that, he is one courageous cat. He hadn’t performed live in awhile, and that audience was cold. Came out and took the stage on national live TV, no less. But that’s how the best frontman in the world do.

Date: December 1, 2017 03:21

DeanGoodman
Hairball

That's kind of what I figured regarding the show itself.

And I do remember the Mick appearance (after you jarred my memory), but probably watched it on youtube after the fact along with most here.
Just found it on youtube, and it was a good performance indeed.thumbs up

Mick Jagger - Everybody Needs Somebody To Love (GRAMMYs on CBS) ft. Raphael Saadiq

Wonder what happened to Raphael Saadiq? He was kind of a hot name at the time of that Grammy performance, but haven't even heard anything about him since then.

Date: December 1, 2017 03:52

Here it is in HD, I need you, you, you
[vimeo.com]
Mick Jagger Grammy Performance 2011

A Blue & Lonesome Mick Jagger playing harp 2018
please

Date: December 1, 2017 04:11

35love
[vimeo.com]

please

[vimeo.com]
I have this 2011 recording in my audio library— his vocal, style and execution
is TOP LEVEL JAGGER.

Date: December 1, 2017 04:18

This isn't the first time Elvin Bishop has been nominated in this Best Traditional Blues Album category.
He was also nominated in 2008 for The Blues Rolls On (w/guests James Cotton, Warren Haynes, B.B. King, Derek Trucks, George Thorogood, Tommy Castro, Kim Wilson, John Németh and Angela Strehli among others).
Turns out BB King himself won the award that year, and righfully so.

Will this years nominated Big Fun Trio from Elvin take home the big win? He's been around forever starting with the Paul Butterfield Blues Band back in '63,
and who can forget his lovey dovey/mushy big hit "Fooled Around and Fell in Love" from 1976?

Listening right now to the new Big Fun Trio...some really good stuff!thumbs up

Date: December 1, 2017 04:37

2011 Mick Jagger will make his live Grammy performance debut this year, performing with soul singer-songwriter Raphael Saadiq and his band in a tribute to music legend Solomon Burke. Burke died on last October at the age of 70. The Rolling Stones covered Burke’s “Cry To Me” and “Everybody Needs Somebody To Love” in their early heyday.

Burke made an appearance to sing the song during The Rolling Stones 2002-2003 tour, singing the song, which was included in the Stones' 2004 live album Live Licks.

"Everybody Needs Somebody to Love" was covered twice by The Rolling Stones almost immediately in January 1965, for their 1965 album The Rolling Stones No. 2.[12] The version on the US The Rolling Stones, Now! album was an earlier version of the song and apparently issued by mistake.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 1, 2017 05:09

35love
35love
[vimeo.com]

please

[vimeo.com]
I have this 2011 recording in my audio library— his vocal, style and execution
is TOP LEVEL JAGGER.

This was an amazing performance and overall, an incredibly watchable Grammy's if memory serves. Even Dylan was there.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: December 1, 2017 13:14

Reading some of the comments from fellow IORR.ans I am struck by the remarks that the Stones did not write these Blues songs .IMHO it is all about the interpretation of the Blues from the Masters where I humbly submit that the Stones stand head and shoulders apart from the other nominees .After all the wheel has already been invented and no one today is going to reach the heights of Muddy Waters , Howling Wolf, Buddy Guy, Junior Wells ,The Three Kings -B.B. King, Freddie King, Albert King, James Cotton and countless other giants from the Delta and Chicago. So please award the Glimmer Twins the Grammy cool smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-01 13:15 by TheGreek.

Date: December 1, 2017 13:27

TheGreek
Reading some of the comments from fellow IORR.ans I am struck by the remarks that the Stones did not write these Blues songs .IMHO it is all about the interpretation of the Blues from the Masters where I humbly submit that the Stones stand head and shoulders apart from the other nominees .After all the wheel has already been invented and no one today is going to reach the heights of Muddy Waters , Howling Wolf, Buddy Guy, Junior Wells ,The Three Kings -B.B. King, Freddie King, Albert King, James Cotton and countless other giants from the Delta and Chicago. So please award the Glimmer Twins the Grammy cool smiley

thumbs up

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 1, 2017 14:29

....some will go to extraordinary lengths to inadvertently put Blue & Lonesome down ..... but its a great honest piece of work ..... deserves a grammy

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 2, 2017 00:21

If an album belonging to the category of 'traditional blues albums' sells 2.25 million copies worldwide - most likely more than all the other blues albums put together for some time - and makes some odd hype over the long time ago dead genre, any common sense would see that it is the 'album of the year'. As a phenomenon it goes back to the day of, say. SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER, it being, of course, more important album than, say, SOME GIRLS, no matter how much more the latter means to many of us 'artistically'. A phenomenon is a phenomenon, and these trophies are given by an 'industry', right?

And if some person thinks that someone making a new lyrics to some 12-bar blues pattern means more 'originality' than The Rolling Stones playing Little Walter cover just tells how little that person understands anything of blues or artistic originality.

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-02 10:55 by Doxa.

Posted by: terry ()
Date: December 2, 2017 02:51

Rockman
....some will go to extraordinary lengths to inadvertently put Blue & Lonesome down ..... but its a great honest piece of work ..... deserves a grammy

Totally agree....mr rockman always talks sense

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 2, 2017 06:33

Go Doxa ... great ta see ya back layin' some words down ......

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...107108109110111112113114115116117Next
Current Page: 114 of 117

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1762
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home