Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...107108109110111112113114115116117Next
Current Page: 113 of 117
Re: Grammy Nomination
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 29, 2017 13:55

Yeah!!! .... that's it TheGreek ... ya nailed it ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: November 29, 2017 16:33

Hairball
DeanGoodman
Hairball

After all, the Beatles won 25 Grammy's in their relatively short career in comparison to the Stones.
Bob Dylan has won a total of 18.

Where did you get these numbers from?

I simply typed in "How many times have the Beatles won Grammys" in Google search and it was the first thing to appear - 25.

Beatles

As for Dylan, typed in the same thing "How many times has Bob Dylan won a Grammy" and again it was the first the first thing to appear - 18.

Bob Dylan

As for The Beatles, those totals include the Grammy Hall of Fame in which they won 15, and another win for the Grammy Trustees Award.

MisterDDDD's list/link seems to be missing some wins - for instance Michelle won song of the Year (1966), and Let it Be won for Best Original Score Written for a Motion Picture (1970). I acknowledge wiki is not always accurate, but they show a total of 10 wins (which includes the Lifetime Achievement) along with a slew of other awards (including an Academy Award) - mind boggling.Beatles achievements

These all account for the total numbers in the initial google search, although this totals 26 and not 25 as google states! (10 Grammys, 15 Grammy Hall of Fame, and 1 Grammy Trustee Award)...give or take...

*As for the Stones' win for Love is Strong video - I believe it was for the great video itself (Best Short Form Music Video) and not the song (I could be wrong), and if thats the case the Stones have only won one for music, one for a video, and one for a lifetime achievement.

In contrast, look at Paul McCartney as a solo artist who out of 78 nominations has won 18 times!!! (MACCA)

____________________________________________________________________________________

edit: Out of curioisty, I typed in "How many Grammys have the Rolling Stones won" in to Google search, and the first thing that appears in 9.

Rolling Stones.

This must also include Grammy Hall of Fame awards.

Weird that The Grammy's own website has errors and omissions..
Either way, The Rolling Stones earned this Grammy imo.. based on the music, not their legacy.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: November 29, 2017 16:58

January 28, 2018, 4:30 PM PST

This could be a HOT ticket. Jay-Z in the house,
Mick Jagger playing harp Blue & Lonesome
‘Hate To See You Go’
‘All of Your Love’
eye popping smiley

Date: November 29, 2017 17:08

If the Grammy’s won’t beg, I am not to proud:

Please have The Rolling Stones perform songs from
Blue & Lonesome
Highlight twilight No Filter fresh Rolling Stones at the root of it all...

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 29, 2017 17:13

Hairball
Thanks for all of the clarification Dean Goodman!

As I said earlier, the Grammys are not always a true measure of great musicians or great music.

Which explains how VOODOO LOUNGE won a Grammy.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 29, 2017 19:55

jlowe
'Not always a measure of great musicians'.

Well...quite right.
I mean John Lennon (for example) was hardly a 'great musician'. But he had other gifts so rightly got the awards.
I'm sure Keith has never claimed to be a 'great' guitarist, in the technical sense.

Still find it hard to believe that Dylan is up for the best vocalist award...and his competition includes a 91 year old vocalist (certainly not in his prime), one Tony Bennett.
Like the OSCARS, the whole process doesn't always make much sense.

Well I should have been more clear as I wasn't referring specifically to great musicianship, but more of an all around statement of a great band and/or an artist.
To revise - Not always a measure of great bands and artists.
That said, John Lennon was indeed a great musician - his innovations playing the guitar should not be underestimated, no matter how simple and subtle some of it might seem.
If you get a chance, check out this video by acclaimed guitar player Mike Pachelli: The Genius of John Lennon Guitar by Mike Pachelli
As for Dylan, didn't know he was nominated - goes to show many admire and have respect and appreciation for his skills as a vocalist, although obviously not everyone's cup of tea.
He's been singing great the last few years on both albums and live, and I hope he wins another Grammy (but I also like Tony Bennett).

MisterDDDD
Either way, The Rolling Stones earned this Grammy imo.. based on the music, not their legacy.

See Dean Goodman's post above that clarifies any omissions and/or discrepancies.
Not so sure that the Stones truly "earned" this Grammy as it's an album of covers recorded in two or three days.
That said, I hope they win it, and better yet hope they perform a tune from it at the Grammy's!

GasLightStreet
Hairball

As I said earlier, the Grammys are not always a true measure of great musicians or great music.

Lol...indeed.
Wonder who they were up against that year?

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: November 29, 2017 19:57

Hairball
jlowe

Well...quite right.
I mean John Lennon (for example) was hardly a 'great musician'. But he had other gifts so rightly got the awards.
I'm sure Keith has never claimed to be a 'great' guitarist, in the technical sense.

Still find it hard to believe that Dylan is up for the best vocalist award...and his competition includes a 91 year old vocalist (certainly not in his prime), one Tony Bennett.

Well I should have been more clear as I wasn't referring specifically to great musicianship, but more of an all around statement of a great band and/or an artist.
That said, John Lennon was indeed a great musician - his innovations playing the guitar should not be underestimated, no matter how simple and subtle some of it might seem.
If you get a chance, check out this video by acclaimed guitar player Mike Pachelli: The Genius of John Lennon Guitar by Mike Pachelli
As for Dylan, didn't know he was nominated - goes to show many admire and have respect and appreciation for his skills as a vocalist, although obviously not everyone's cup of tea.
He's been singing great the last few years on both albums and live, and I hope he wins another Grammy (but I also like Tony Bennett).

MisterDDDD

See Dean Goodman's post above that clarifies any omissions and/or discrepancies.
Not so sure that the Stones truly "earned" this Grammy as it's an album of covers recorded in two or three days.
That said, I hope they win it, and better yet hope they perform a tune from it at the Grammy's!

GasLightStreet
Hairball

Lol...indeed.

(Grain of Salt)
According to Wikipedia:
Pearl Jam – Vs.
R.E.M. – Monster
Soundgarden – Superunknown
Neil Young and Crazy Horse – Sleeps with Angels

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: November 29, 2017 20:08

Hmmmmmm...interesting observation:

For The First Time in 19 Years, No White Men Are Nominated For The 'Album of the Year' Grammy...It's about damn time."

And yet a gang of Old White Men Are Nominated For BEST TRADITIONAL BLUES ALBUM...It's about damn time!

spinning smiley sticking its tongue outsmoking smiley

The world is upside down...

Date: November 29, 2017 20:22

mr_dja
Hairball
jlowe

Well...quite right.

MisterDDDD

GasLightStreet
Hairball

Lol...indeed.

(Grain of Salt)
According to Wikipedia:
Pearl Jam – Vs.
R.E.M. – Monster

Peace,
Mr DJA

Thanks for that Mr DJA.
While I'm not a huge fan of Pearl Jam present day, have to say those first two albums (Ten and VS) were quite good.
And I really liked REM up until their Monster album.
SoundGarden were were really great up until Superunkown, and easy to see why it was a contender (maybe a bit too heavy for the voters)
The Neil and Crazy Horse album - the best of the bunch imo - should have won. The tune Piece of Crap alone should have won over all of the above! winking smiley

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: November 29, 2017 21:03

^ Voodoo Lounge beating any of those albums is arguably as egregious as Jethro Tull vs. Metallica.

Date: November 29, 2017 22:41

Last year Beyonce very large with babies balancing on a chair predicting the fall of men - she IS Queen.

Funny about best album all blacks and old blues better be won by this white boy Brit band just sayin’.

It’s all about the Benjamin’s but if I like, I watch.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 30, 2017 02:38

mr_dja
Hairball
jlowe

Well...quite right.

MisterDDDD

GasLightStreet
Hairball

Lol...indeed.

(Grain of Salt)
According to Wikipedia:
Pearl Jam – Vs.
R.E.M. – Monster

Peace,
Mr DJA

VOODOO LOUNGE beat out VS, MONSTER and SUPERUNKNOWN?

That's beyond ridiculous. What's even more ridiculous is that SOME GIRLS, of all Stones things they nominated, didn't win.

Date: November 30, 2017 03:04

*groan Was that you Hairball that said
not sure they earn for a few hours work
how about the 50 years of being/bleeding the RS
makes a group then able to summon like no other

Date: November 30, 2017 05:52

35love

I said I don't think they've "earned" the grammy for B&L due to it being a covers album recorded in two or three days, when you have other nominees that have originals up for the prize.
Now if you want to be charitable and hand the Stones a Grammy based on their legacy and being the Rolling Stones for 50 years - I'm down with that.
The problem is, they already won a lifetime achievement award back in '86!

My vote for Best Traditional Blues album goes to R.L. Boyce - the man is steeped in the blues.

"To properly capture the sound of RL and his friends, you set up the mics, get the hell out of the way and let the hypnotic boogie take over".

R.L. Boyce "R.L.'s Boogie"

Amen.

PS - And runner up goes to Guy Davis & Fabrizio Poggi.

Guy Davis & Fabrizio Poggi - "Walk On"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-30 05:58 by Hairball.

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: November 30, 2017 05:52

GasLightStreet
What's even more ridiculous is that SOME GIRLS, of all Stones things they nominated, didn't win.

Not that ridiculous. Saturday Night Fever won.

Date: November 30, 2017 07:32

Hairball
35love

I said I don't think they've "earned" the grammy for B&L due to it being a covers album recorded in two or three days, when you have other nominees that have originals up for the prize.
Now if you want to be charitable and hand the Stones a Grammy based on their legacy and being the Rolling Stones for 50 years - I'm down with that.

My vote for Best Traditional Blues album goes to R.L. Boyce - the man is steeped in the blues.

"To properly capture the sound of RL and his friends, you set up the mics, get the hell out of the way and let the hypnotic boogie take over".

Amen.

*I bet these are blistering clips, I haven’t viewed them.
I suppose there is no incentive for the Stones to show up and perform, and they won’t.
I wasn’t implying a overlook type Oscar win such as Denzel or Pacino,
Blue & Lonesome stands on it’s own merit for a win.

Date: November 30, 2017 07:53

35love
Hairball
35love

Amen.

I suppose there is no incentive for the Stones to show up and perform, and they won’t.

It would be similar to a famous and well established painter submitting a version he or she did of the Mona Lisa to a gallery vs. some other much lesser known artist submitting an original work of art that they poured their heart and soul in to. I'm always rooting for the underdog - especially in this case when the work is original. Would be nice if the Stones win it, but I don't think a compilation of quickly recorded blues covers is really worthy of the win. Just my two cents.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: November 30, 2017 09:05

Jeez, I had no idea who the Stones beat out for their Voodoo Lounge win. That is a clear case of "Hey, these guys are old and famous and everyone knows them...let's just give them one as a stand-in for a lifetime achievement award!"

The Grammys are by far the most worthless of the major artistic annual awards shows.

Oscars generally reward excellent film work year to year. One can quibble with the outcomes, but they tend to at least be in the ballpark when it comes to honoring the best of the film industry.

Same with the Emmys for the most part (can't really comment on the Tonys as I don't follow the industry at all).

The Grammys, on the other hand, seem to pick their nominees out of a hat. It is utterly baffling to see the work that gets nominated and awarded every year.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: November 30, 2017 12:00

35love

to a non-English speaker your posts read like beat poems, 35love...
not sure how native English speakers would qualify it, though - smoking smiley
where are you from?

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: November 30, 2017 13:14

keefriff99
Jeez, I had no idea who the Stones beat out for their Voodoo Lounge win. That is a clear case of "Hey, these guys are old and famous and everyone knows them...let's just give them one as a stand-in for a lifetime achievement award!"

The Grammys are by far the most worthless of the major artistic annual awards shows.

Oscars generally reward excellent film work year to year. One can quibble with the outcomes, but they tend to at least be in the ballpark when it comes to honoring the best of the film industry.

Same with the Emmys for the most part (can't really comment on the Tonys as I don't follow the industry at all).

The Grammys, on the other hand, seem to pick their nominees out of a hat. It is utterly baffling to see the work that gets nominated and awarded every year.
Just like the Jann Wenner Rock and Roll Hall of Fame ? The Grammy is still the standard bearer for achievement in the recording science industry .What are utter and complete garbage awards to me are the MTV awards, the Peoples Choice Awards, the American Music Awards and the Billboard Awards .

Date: November 30, 2017 13:19

Hairball
35love
Hairball
35love

Amen.

It would be similar to a famous and well established painter submitting a version he or she did of the Mona Lisa to a gallery vs. some other much lesser known artist submitting an original work of art that they poured their heart and soul in to. I'm always rooting for the underdog - especially in this case when the work is original. Would be nice if the Stones win it, but I don't think a compilation of quickly recorded blues covers is really worthy of the win. Just my two cents.

What about classical music, or other art forms where interpretation is what the artists get measured by?

I'd say that the blues today is turning into being the «classical music» of popular music. It's been a looong time since something earth-shattering happened with new blues.

In that context, the Stones are worthy contenders of the prize for their interpretations, imo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-30 13:20 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: November 30, 2017 15:31

TheGreek
keefriff99

Just like the Jann Wenner Rock and Roll Hall of Fame ? The Grammy is still the standard bearer for achievement in the recording science industry .What are utter and complete garbage awards to me are the MTV awards, the Peoples Choice Awards, the American Music Awards and the Billboard Awards .
Well I know the Grammys are SUPPOSED to be the standard bearer, but it doesn't often feel that way, particular in the more popular categories.

I don't really count the other awards shows you listed...those are just meant to be dumb fun and I don't take them particularly seriously.

Date: November 30, 2017 16:01

Hairball

Amen.

R L Boyce- Roll and Tumble
"This latest collection of songs was recorded over two days. Everything was done on the first take, giving listeners a rare glimpse into the kind of masterful jams that pop up at backyard parties and get-togethers in the Hill Country"
[waxploitation.com]

Indeed, other than the Davis penned opening title track, these are songs from the Terry-McGhee catalog recorded live in a Milan, Italy studio last June.
[www.elmoremagazine.com]

Date: November 30, 2017 16:04

MisterDDDD
Hairball

Amen.

R L Boyce- Roll and Tumble
"This latest collection of songs was recorded over two days. Everything was done on the first take, giving listeners a rare glimpse into the kind of masterful jams that pop up at backyard parties and get-togethers in the Hill Country"
[waxploitation.com]

Indeed, other than the Davis penned opening title track, these are songs from the Terry-McGhee catalog recorded live in a Milan, Italy studio last June.
[www.elmoremagazine.com]

That's how real blues albums are made smoking smiley

Date: November 30, 2017 16:26

DandelionPowderman

"Quote
Hairball

I said I don't think they've "earned" the grammy for B&L due to it being a covers album recorded in two or three days"

Agree... just looking for consistency from the critics.. cool smiley

Date: November 30, 2017 16:35

MisterDDDD
DandelionPowderman

"Quote
Hairball

I said I don't think they've "earned" the grammy for B&L due to it being a covers album recorded in two or three days"

Agree... just looking for consistency from the critics.. cool smiley

I know smiling smiley

Date: November 30, 2017 19:04

MisterDDDD you did more research than me!
Have to admit I never heard of either of those two (R L Boyce and Guy Davis) before yesterday, and found a couple videos to listen to - both of which were great!
That said, I stand by my choice - gotta go with the underdogs.thumbs up

Quote from Co-Producer Luther Dickinson (North Mississippi Allstars) on R.L. Boyce:

"This is the most important honest to God Hill Country Blues Record made since R.L. Burnside's A Ass Pocket Of Whisky".

First choice R.L. Boyce for the win!

But as keefriff said regarding the Vooodoo lounge win:
"Hey, these guys are old and famous and everyone knows them...let's just give them one as a stand-in for a lifetime achievement award!"
And have to say, there's some who would give the Stones a Grammy if they all farted into a microphone in unison ...just because they're the Stones.

It would be nice for the Stones to finally win another to add to their lowly three - "sad" (spoken in the voice of Trump lol), but it might be a bit shallow imo.

Date: November 30, 2017 19:20

Hairball
Have to admit I never heard of either of those two (R L Boyce and Guy Davis) before yesterday, and found a couple videos to listen to - both of which were great!

Quote from Co-Producer Luther Dickinson (North Mississippi Allstars) on R.L. Boyce:

"This is the most important honest to God Hill Country Blues Record made since R.L. Burnside's A Ass Pocket Of Whisky".

Well then.If the producer of the album says it's great..
that changes everything winking smiley

Your (predictable) knee-jerk reaction to discredit the Stones has actually bolstered my opinion that they have earned it and should win going away..

This is the guy's second ever album, while I'm sure it's good, the Stones were recording and immersing themselves in the blues while this guy was in short pants.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-30 19:22 by MisterDDDD.

Date: November 30, 2017 19:29

I accused you of not being consistent in your critiques, and I was wrong.

Date: November 30, 2017 19:04

"And have to say, there's some who would give the Stones a Grammy if they all farted into a microphone in unison ...just because they're the Stones.

It would be nice for the Stones to finally win another to add to their lowly three - "sad" (spoken in the voice of Trump lol), but it might be a bit shallow imo."

You consistently attack fans and the band at the slightest provocation, including your praise of their Grammy competitors (whom you had no idea of who they even were eye rolling smiley)..
You are very consistent. My apologies.

Date: November 30, 2017 19:30

MisterDDDD
Hairball

Well then.If the producer of the album says it's great..
that changes everything winking smiley

Your (predictable) knee-jerk reaction to discredit the Stones has actually bolstered my opinion that they have earned it and should win going away..

This is the guy's second ever album, while I'm sure it's good, the Stones were recording and emerging themselves in the blues while this guy was in short pants.

Yes maybe predictable in the case of Blue and Lonesome as I never latched on to it as anything other than an average cover of blues tunes that lacked passion .
I think I originally gave it a reasonable 2 or 2.5 stars out of 5, and also said it's the best they've done in decades all of which which I still think is true.

But again as keefriffhard said regarding the Voodoo win, the same will probably happen in this case:

"Hey, these guys are old and famous and everyone knows them...let's just give them one as a stand-in for a lifetime achievement award!"

Hopefully the voters will be fair, and not be blinded by the name "Rolling Stones".

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...107108109110111112113114115116117Next
Current Page: 113 of 117

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1425
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home