Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...107108109110111112113114115116117Next
Current Page: 115 of 117
Re: Grammy Nomination
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 2, 2017 06:37

terry .... hey man remember the great days or was it daze of GIANTWHORE .... wild

ROCKMAN

Date: December 2, 2017 07:04

35love
Elvin Bishop. I saw him live in a bar in Mountain View CA 1,000 years ago
but he sang ‘Fooled Around And Fell In Love’ and I was drinkin* tequila

Anyway. The Rolling Stones better win if they’re nominated. Period.

P.S. nobody cares but I am not implying I connected in anyway w/ Mr. Bishop,
I was with my boyfriend/date small bar on el Camino real it was a great show.

then you didn't watch the concert because elvin bishop never sang "fooled around and fell in love" that I know of. he always let someone else sing it due to his limited voice

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: December 2, 2017 07:26

keefriffhard4life
35love

then you didn't watch the concert because elvin bishop never sang "fooled around and fell in love" that I know of. he always let someone else sing it due to his limited voice

I did, and he did, sounded just like the record it was a tiny bar but packed standing only, I was at the bar itself with my date/ another bar owner at the time in Mountain View, CA. But it is ancient history, later 1980’s.
Useless info, sorry.
Go Stones.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-02 07:30 by 35love.

Date: December 2, 2017 07:37

35love
keefriffhard4life
35love

I did, and he did, sounded just like the record it was a tiny bar but packed standing only, I was at the bar itself with my date/ another bar owner at the time in Mountain View, CA. But it is ancient history, later 1980’s.
Useless info, sorry.
Go Stones.

nope try again. elvin bishop is the guitar player. mickey thomas, who was the backing vocalist for bishop in the 70's, sings the lead vocal on the original recording of "fooled around and fell in love". by 1979 thomas had left bishop to front Jefferson starship. thomas is the male voice singing starship hits such as "jane", "we built this city, "sara" and "nothing gonna stop us now".

Date: December 2, 2017 07:46

keefriffhard4life
35love
keefriffhard4life
35love

Useless info, sorry.
Go Stones.

nope try again. elvin bishop is the guitar player. mickey thomas, who was the backing vocalist for bishop in the 70's, sings the lead vocal on the original recording of "fooled around and fell in love". by 1979 thomas had left bishop to front Jefferson starship. thomas is the male voice singing starship hits such as "jane", "we built this city, "sara" and "nothing gonna stop us now".

Okay. I was drinking tequila. Somebody sang it, it sounded just like the record, frankly it’s a poignant memory for me, but sure, I could have the guys name wrong who actually sang it in the band? Is this what you mean?
Are you an Elvin Bishop fan?

Date: December 2, 2017 07:50

35love
keefriffhard4life
35love
keefriffhard4life
35love

Useless info, sorry.
Go Stones.

Okay. I was drinking tequila. Somebody sang it, it sounded just like the record, frankly it’s a poignant memory for me, but sure, I could have the guys name wrong who actually sang it in the band? Is this what you mean?

I'm a fan of elvin bishops from his time in the paul butterfield blues band. yes I mean you have the name of the guy wrong who was singing the lead vocal for that song. bishop has a very country sounding voice and knew it never suited that song. he's always had a guy in his band who would do the lead vocal for that song while he just played the guitar part. most other songs bishop sings and plays the guitar

Date: December 2, 2017 08:07

keefriffhard4life
35love
keefriffhard4life
35love
keefriffhard4life
35love

Useless info, sorry.
Go Stones.

I'm a fan of elvin bishops from his time in the paul butterfield blues band. yes I mean you have the name of the guy wrong who was singing the lead vocal for that song. bishop has a very country sounding voice and knew it never suited that song. he's always had a guy in his band who would do the lead vocal for that song while he just played the guitar part. most other songs bishop sings and plays the guitar

Thank you for clarifying. I apologize for my poor skill set with names.
Or, assuming it was Elvin. I didn't follow up interest w/ the band.
But that song reminds me of my old bar owner boyfriend...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-02 08:11 by 35love.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 2, 2017 10:50

mr_dja
DeanGoodman
You had me at "R.L. Burnside." I'm excited about R.L. Boyce. We can rip the Grammys all we want, but they give global exposure to artists who would otherwise go ignored. We're even debating him at iorr. The Stones wouldn't begrudge losing to him, or to the other nominees.

Italics are close to my thoughts as well. I'm trying to keep my mind free and clear until I listen to all the nominated albums this weekend but, based on the couple of tracks I sampled yesterday, it won't surprise me at all if I end up at amazon sometime Sunday afternoon with Boyce's album in my cart.

Peace,
Mr. DJA

Edit ->
Dean, I just saw your follow up post... I'll skip amazon and send my money straight to R.L. Thanks for sharing the link!

DeanGoodman
P.S. Buy the signed, $15 R.L. CD here:

[waxploitation.com]

thumbs up

Missed these posts yesterday - I' ve been watching and listening to numerous videos of his since then, and yes this is genuinely great stuff.
Takes you right back to the source of where it all began.

"R.L. Boyce has become so highly regarded people see him as the Ravi Shankar of Hill Country music.
Hill Country music is loose and free, so much so that it puts both the performer and the listener in a warm,
almost meditative state while still groovy enough to demand a good ass shake. Through improvisation,
it is designed to heighten your consciousness. You don’t play this sort of music so much as you submit to it".

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: December 2, 2017 18:40

Re: R.L. Boyce ... Waxploitation charges $10 for shipping, on top of $15 for the CD. Blues fans being exploited. I don't see the CD on Amazon (MP3 only) or at Amoeba. Very odd distribution. Fortunately I got one at eBay for $8.50 total.

P.S. The "Ravi Shankar" comparison isn't helpful.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-02 18:42 by DeanGoodman.

Date: December 2, 2017 19:10

Yeah I saw that $10 shipping fee last night and stopped in my tracks! wtf...

I found a copy at Discogs.com at $9.99, but the shipping costs are vague.
It says "LP's Domestic $5.00 LP's International $18.00", and the seller is in the US, but when I put it in my cart to checkout it said "Shipping To be determined by seller" .
Could be less than $5.00, but sounds sketchy so passed. Anyhow, will look on ebay, and in the meantime enjoy loads of free videos on youtube. thumbs up

Re: The Rolling Stones new blues album "Blue & Lonesome" due out Dec 2
Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: January 10, 2018 17:38

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: January 10, 2018 18:21

Great, great album!

from The Greatest Blues 'n Roll Band in the World!

Grammys 2018 - Best Traditional Blues Album
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: January 29, 2018 00:29

Congrats Best Traditional Blues Album - 'BLUE & LONESOME' @RollingStones #GRAMMYs

Recording Academy

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-29 00:37 by bye bye johnny.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: January 29, 2018 00:32

CONGRATS TO THE ROLLING STONES FOR WINNING THE GRAMMY TONIGHT hot smileyhot smileyhot smiley

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: January 29, 2018 00:33

The Rolling Stones pick up a Best Traditional Blues Album #GRAMMYs

[twitter.com]

[ultimateclassicrock.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-29 00:41 by Deltics.

Date: January 29, 2018 00:44

Congrats to the Stones!
While I'm happy for them and always hoped they would win, I still think a couple of the other nominees albums were better, but as the saying goes maybe next year to those runner-ups.
That said, this win for blues covers might bode well for whatever step they might take next in recording their new album.
Thankful that Keith made the effort and suggestion to bring them back to the blues when things were going bad in the studio. thumbs up

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: January 29, 2018 01:08

Congrats to the Rolling Stones!

Glad to be one of the "fans" who didn't immediately dog them and try to point out how the other nominees "were better" (see above) before I even researched them.
cool smiley

Date: January 29, 2018 01:11

Well-deserved! thumbs up

Date: January 29, 2018 01:16

Getta Grip MisterDDDD!

Before you attempt to rewrite history and twist the thread again, let me remind you what I previously said:

"Whether they get the ultimate win or not, a nomination alone can be seen as a win no matter what considering it's an album of covers".

"Seems the Stones have been snubbed - maybe they'll bring in the trophy this year, and even better maybe they'll be invited to perform one of their blues covers".

"That said, I hope they win it, and better yet hope they perform a tune from it at the Grammy's"!

"I decided to form an opinion by listening to a couple of the other nominees - both of which I thought were a better choice for the win.
I already know how I feel about B&L, so it was nice to hear what they were up against".

"And then I took some time to listen to the other nominees which put everything under a different light.
Still hope the Stones win, but there's a difference between hoping and thinking that others might deserve it more".

Congrats to the Stones! thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-29 01:17 by Hairball.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 29, 2018 02:01

Congrats to The Rolling Stones --- Totally deserved -- Take a long sweeping bow .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: angee ()
Date: January 29, 2018 02:52

Yay, woo hoo, and la de dah!!!
Congrats to The Rolling Stones!!!
(Is Mick going to any after-parties?)

~"Love is Strong"~

Date: January 29, 2018 03:21

I should have known to come to IORR first!

IORR probably knows before the Stones grinning smiley

WOOOO HOOOOOOO

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: January 29, 2018 03:37

Should've shown up to play a track or two as a featured performer.

Would've been one of the evening's highlights, to prove their staying power.

Could've picked up more album sales and a few new fans.

Might've resulted in an increased media presence ahead of their next tour, not to mention the new album.

Date: January 29, 2018 04:07

stonehearted

Might've resulted in an increased media presence ahead of their next tour, not to mention the new album.

That was the hope, but alas...nada!

That said, hasn't aired yet west coast time, so not sure what's on the program.
What I do know is the award was given earlier today without much fanfare along with best spoken word, best Christian album, etc. - none of which are given air time on the televised broadcast.
Maybe someone on the east coast who is watching it live can give an update?

Re: Grammys 2018 - Best Traditional Blues Album
Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: January 29, 2018 04:28

bye bye johnny
Congrats Best Traditional Blues Album - 'BLUE & LONESOME' @RollingStones #GRAMMYs

Recording Academy

Wow, that's awesome! It's such a great album, I'm glad others recognized it as such too! I think I'll go play it now ...

Date: January 29, 2018 04:54

stonehearted

The show is/was horrid.
As usual, the RS are grades above.

ETA: I did like Rihanna, and the NY subway comedy sketch was good, and the country song performace ‘Better Man’ written by Taylor Swift

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-29 05:02 by 35love.

Date: January 29, 2018 04:57

35love
stonehearted

The show is/was horrid.
As usual, the RS are grades above.

Oh, and hey. WTF Elton John getting his concert tickets advertised prime time tele spot, wow-eee. Probably start making $ after the 3rd year kicks in...

Date: January 29, 2018 05:10

Just realized it is being aired live right now on the west coast and repeated later.
Tuned in to see Elton with someone butchering the vocals to Tiny Dancer - turns out it's Miley Cyrus?!!! Wow she's bad.
Nice of Elton to appear AND perform even though he could have/should have picked a better duet partner.
Too bad no Stones!!! Won't even get to see a taped thank you speech!

Date: January 29, 2018 05:28

Oh and Gary Clark Jr (saw him open for the RS!)
Fats Domino/ Chuck Berry set
w/ Jon Batiste
fantastic

Date: January 29, 2018 05:40

Would have even been great to see Mick appear on his own as he did a few years ago - play a medley of blues covers - might have been the highlight of the show!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...107108109110111112113114115116117Next
Current Page: 115 of 117

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1794
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home