Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...105106107108109110111112113114115...LastNext
Current Page: 110 of 117
Re: The Rolling Stones new blues album "Blue & Lonesome" due out Dec 2
Posted by: Idorh ()
Date: January 3, 2017 22:00

laf848
IMO, Exile On Main Street is the Greatest album Ever.

I am perhaps the only one on this forum which really nothing to find Exile On Main Street.
I bought his course in 1972 and turned it daily, but I found him not.
I did not understand it myself.
All songs were gems, but it irritated me to the present day with the samples.
When I heard the songs live I found them amazing, and also the original demos from the recordings of the damp cellars in France I loved.
But not the album Exile On Main Street.
Maybe it completely re-recorded by the Exile On Main Street and sung in America.
Too sterile and later a lot of instruments and background vocals are added to, and mixed too much.
I still prefer the simplicity of B & L, I can not get enough of it and listen to it with pleasure every day.
Bert.

Ik ben misschien wel de enigste op dit forum die werkelijk niets aan Exile On Main Street vind.
Ik kocht hem natuurlijk wel in 1972 en draaide hem dagelijks, maar ik vond hem niet goed.
Ik begreep het zelf niet.
Alle nummers waren pareltjes, maar het irriteerde mij tot de dag van vandaag met het beluisteren.
Als ik de nummers live hoorde vond ik ze fantastisch, en ook de originele demo’s uit de opnames van de vochtige kelders in Frankrijk vond ik geweldig.
Maar niet het album Exile On Main Street.
Misschien komt het door dat Exile On Main Street helemaal opnieuw opgenomen en ingezongen is in Amerika.
Te steriel en later erg veel instrumenten en achtergrond zang is toe gevoegd, en te veel gemixt.
Ik heb toch liever de eenvoud van B&L, ik kan er geen genoeg van krijgen en beluister hem elke dag met plezier.
Bert.

Posted by: laf848 ()
Date: January 3, 2017 22:16

I purchased the Exile on Main Street album the day it was released and I loved it then. I just could not stopped listening to it.
I remember playing it for my friends, it became our party album.
Layla is my 2nd favorite album, which I played many times.
Blue and Lonesome I have played around 30 times, and I love every song. I think It's Fantastic. Everybody has their own opinion and I believe that's the way it should be.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: January 3, 2017 22:48

Maindefender
maumau
Maindefender
mpj200
Don't know if it's interesting or sad? I think it shows a need for a realty check for some people on where the band is at this stage of their career. I really hope they can sort things out and have the opportunity and time to record another record.

If not, this would be the final album of the world's greatest band. And sadly, the thread is filled with negativity and expectations that the band should sound like they did in the 70's.

I have high expectations for the new studio album of originals.....It's all up to Mick and Keith IMO

well how can expectations be so high considering their original output since at least 1997? too many things should go along different patterns imo. Sure I hope that B&L serves as benchmark for their work on new songs. otherwise we're going to have a good album at best I am afraid

I maintain the next album completes the trilogy of strong releases since CR and the momentum gained since returning to touring in late 2012.

I know i'm in the minority as a lover of SuperHeavy ... it's great and Mick's vocals are as strong on that as they are on B&L ... but for me that already made a great trilogy, along w/ Crosseyed Heart. And since I also love Ronnie's latest, that makes a mighty fine quadrilogy!

Date: January 3, 2017 22:50

laf848
I purchased the Exile on Main Street album the day it was released and I loved it then. I just could not stopped listening to it.
Blue and Lonesome I have played around 30 times, and I love every song. I think It's Fantastic. Everybody has their own opinion and I believe that's the way it should be.

That is absolutely true.
You can not go out of your themselves against others have to say this is the best or not.

Itself you can find something good and another not find it good.
Everyone does have its own flavor.
Music is an expression of feelings and emotions and excitement.
And the Stones are masterful in.
Most Stones fans have in common is that they find their addictive music you want but again and again listen to their music.
I am my 15th year (1963) so far in 2017 (69 years old) happy with this simple but delicious spontaneous immersive album Blue & Lonesome.
Bert.

Dat is absoluut waar.
Je kan niet van je zelf uit gaan om tegen anderen te zeggen dit is het beste of niet.

Zelf kan je iets goed vinden, en een andere vind het niet goed.
Iedereen heeft inderdaad zijn eigen smaak.
Muziek is uiting van gevoelens en emotie en opwinding.
En daar zijn de Stones meesterlijk in.
De meeste Stones fans hebben gemeen dat ze hun muziek verslavend vinden , je wil maar steeds weer opnieuw hun muziek beluisteren.
Ik ben van mijn 15e jaar (1963) tot nu 2017 (69 jaar oud) gelukkig met dit eenvoudige maar spontane heerlijke meeslepende album Blue & Lonesome.
Bert.

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: January 12, 2017 22:38

laf848

Probably the single best endorsement of "Blue and Lonesome" that you will ever read/see.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: January 12, 2017 23:02

I love Google Translate grinning smiley

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: January 13, 2017 12:32

Blue and Lonesome is thrilling because of the band's performance. If they would have recorded their albums from 1989 non in the same way, simply relying on the playing, the vibe and the grooves, SW, VL, BtB and ABB would be so much better.

Date: January 13, 2017 14:18

thumbs up

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: January 13, 2017 14:38

duke richardson
Ghost of Brian Jones visits Keith...

[www.contactmusic.net]

In the article it sounds like Keith's saying he literally saw Brian's ghost, and Mick quickly steps in to make it sound like a metaphorical ghost that he too was impacted by. Did Keith mention this ghostly sighting anywhere else?

- swiss

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: January 13, 2017 16:44

There is a really tremendous review of Blue & Lonesome in the new edition of Vintage Guitar

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: January 13, 2017 17:45

TheGreek
There is a really tremendous review of Blue & Lonesome in the new edition of Vintage Guitar

Thanks, and here is the link:
[www.vintageguitar.com]

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: January 13, 2017 18:38

35love
TheGreek

Thanks, and here is the link:
[www.vintageguitar.com]
Thanks for your help with providing the link .

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: January 13, 2017 18:50

All the guitar mags seem to really love it.

"Guitarist" gave ot 10/10. ..and they don't do that very often.
The reviewer said it just might be the best Blues album in 10 years !.

He might have been getting a bit carried away in some eyes...but obviously rates it big time.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: January 14, 2017 15:42

the key word here is authenticity.....and Jagger's vocal performances on B & L have been really lets face it a revelation that he can still be inspired....to work with Keith Richards....it doesn't hurt that RW kicked ass on this record either....still loving it.

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: January 16, 2017 22:08

Eric Clapton is always regarded as a fine blues player. Right now I listen to his all hailed Unplugged on the radio and it simply lacks everything, enthusiasm, love, energy, subtleness, just some sleepy rather jazzy strumming.
His Robert Johnson Album is way stronger than Unplugged but how can somebody dare to compete with the Stones on the Robert Johnson subject?

Date: January 16, 2017 22:31

JJHMick
Eric Clapton is always regarded as a fine blues player. Right now I listen to his all hailed Unplugged on the radio and it simply lacks everything, enthusiasm, love, energy, subtleness, just some sleepy rather jazzy strumming.
His Robert Johnson Album is way stronger than Unplugged but how can somebody dare to compete with the Stones on the Robert Johnson subject?

Try live Cream and Derek And The Dominos.

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: January 16, 2017 23:17

DandelionPowderman
JJHMick

I agree with you on Cream but disagree on Derek And The Dominoes.
There was a lot of fighting inside Cream?! Wasn't it rather Jack Bruce leading the band?!
Some kind of theory: When Eric took over the band's leadership (Eric = Derek and then the official solo records) something got lost. I have seen Clapton once live with Derek Trucks. Perfect interplay but totally sterile and a lack of good songs for a whole night! Something you are expecting in a classical or jazz concert, haha!

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: January 16, 2017 23:26

JJHMick
DandelionPowderman
JJHMick

I agree with you on Cream but disagree on Derek And The Dominoes.
There was a lot of fighting inside Cream?! Wasn't it rather Jack Bruce leading the band?!
Some kind of theory: When Eric took over the band's leadership (Eric = Derek and then the official solo records) something got lost. I have seen Clapton once live with Derek Trucks. Perfect interplay but totally sterile and a lack of good songs for a whole night! Something you are expecting in a classical or jazz concert, haha!

I think the Derek & The Dominoes album is one of the finest blues/rock albums ever. Plenty of raw emotion, and the guitar interplay between Clapton and Duane Allman is just off the charts. A one-of-a kind pairing. An all-time favorite of mine.

It's quite possible that kicking heroin took a bit of a toll on him, we was never quite the same from 461 Ocean Blvd forward, although I really like quite a few of those albums. From The Cradle, Riding With The King, and the Robert Johnson albums were pretty good to these ears also. I've enjoyed a lot of his work through the years.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 17, 2017 01:14

DandelionPowderman
JJHMick

As well as the Bluesbreakers album.
Also most, if not all, early Yardbirds recordings when he was in the band - including the live Sonny Boy Williamson and the Yardbirds

Date: January 17, 2017 08:46

Hairball
DandelionPowderman
JJHMick

Also most, if not all, early Yardbirds recordings when he was in the band - including the live Sonny Boy Williamson and the Yardbirds

I have that Yardbirds album on reel-to-reel. Great stuff indeed, but not particularly for Eric's playing.

Date: January 17, 2017 08:57

DandelionPowderman
Hairball
DandelionPowderman
JJHMick

I have that Yardbirds album on reel-to-reel. Great stuff indeed, but not particularly for Eric's playing.

I have a couple old vinyl copies. thumbs up
Considering Clapton was only 18 years old at the time this was recorded, I'd say it's a pretty good showcase of his knowledge of the blues - even at that young age. Maybe not a showcase of virtuoso blues solos he'd play later, but more as a team member playing what was necessary for the job at hand - backing Sonny Boy Williamson. The original statement from JJHMick was "Eric Clapton is always regarded as a fine blues player", and I think this album can attest to that fact.

Posted by: Socrates1 ()
Date: January 17, 2017 09:17

B&L still rules. I'm almost surprised by how well it's holding up. A B&L2 would go over well.

Date: January 17, 2017 10:17

Hairball
DandelionPowderman
Hairball
DandelionPowderman
JJHMick

Considering Clapton was only 18 years old at the time this was recorded, I'd say it's a pretty good showcase of his knowledge of the blues - even at that young age. Maybe not a showcase of virtuoso blues solos he'd play later, but more as a team member playing what was necessary for the job at hand - backing Sonny Boy Williamson. The original statement from JJHMick was "Eric Clapton is always regarded as a fine blues player", and I think this album can attest to that fact.

I meant it's more of a band effort. Those kids swing and rock and Sonny comes in and ices the cake beautifully thumbs up

Date: January 17, 2017 19:37

DandelionPowderman
Hairball
DandelionPowderman
Hairball
DandelionPowderman
JJHMick

I meant it's more of a band effort. Those kids swing and rock and Sonny comes in and ices the cake beautifully thumbs up

Yeah ok understood and agree, but I think it's the other way around...Sonny Boy is the cake, while those kids added the icing.
He's the dominant force on the album imo, but it is interesting to hear the young Englishmen playing backup for him and holding their own for the most part.
It's a historical document that really shows how much the American blues were inspiring those young musicians in England.

But... that pic above is not the cover of the album I'm referring to!
Never seen anything like that though - "Twin Track Mono Tape Record" - I'm guessing it must also include the Sonny Boy album?
That is the cover for their debut album which was recorded after the Sonny Boy Williamson album, but again don't know the contents of what you're showing.
The Sonny Boy album was recorded in Dec. '63 (but wasn't released until Jan, 66.), while Five Live Yardbirds was recorded in March, '64,
Here is the album I'm referring to: For some odd reason it features a pic the then current '66 lineup of the Yardbirds with Jeff Beck even though it was recorded in '63 w/Clapton.

edit: minor grammar/spelling error.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-17 19:56 by Hairball.

Date: January 17, 2017 19:42

The Sonny Boy-set is included on this release.

Date: January 17, 2017 19:58

thumbs up

Nice - does that say 3 1/2 LP's?
When was that released, and what else is contained on it?

Date: January 18, 2017 14:33

Hairball
thumbs up

Nice - does that say 3 1/2 LP's?
When was that released, and what else is contained on it?

«3 1/4» is the speed in which the tape was recorded.

But, but.. I have mixed it up totally! There is nothing from the Sonny Boy-gig on this tape. On this tape, however, there is, he he smiling smiley

I have the whole gig somewhere as well.. Now you've tempted me to put it on, he he grinning smiley

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: January 18, 2017 14:48

Dandy, my father has become seriously ill so I won't be posting much here for a while. Just in case someone was wondering ...
Take care everyone and I hope to see you all again when I decide to come back. Best wishes to everyone.

Date: January 18, 2017 14:51

Stoneage
Dandy, my father has become seriously ill so I won't be posting much here for a while. Just in case someone was wondering ...
Take care everyone and I hope to see you all again when I decide to come back. Best wishes to everyone.

Sad to hear that, Stoneage! All the best vibes for you, your father and your family from Norway, my friend.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: January 18, 2017 15:01

Thanks, Dandy.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...105106107108109110111112113114115...LastNext
Current Page: 110 of 117

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1879
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home