Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...104105106107108109110111112113114...LastNext
Current Page: 109 of 117
Re: The Rolling Stones new blues album "Blue & Lonesome" due out Dec 2
Posted by: Testify ()
Date: December 30, 2016 14:30

The great thing about this album is the simplicity of execution, there are no technicalities, there is the soul and the heart. This album also did discover the blues beads to many of us, especially to young people, which is why I find it very interesting, have not performed the classic hit blues. Very reminiscent of the old cover of the Stones' 60s.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: December 30, 2016 16:31

Truthfully, I played it a few times, enjoyed it, and went back to my regular Stones diet.

Posted by: Greg ()
Date: December 30, 2016 17:41

I heard the Stones are still around and just recorded a new album... Is it any good?

----------------------------
"Music is the frozen tapioca in the ice chest of history."

"Shit!... No shit, awright!"

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: December 30, 2016 18:13

A shop I was in today had B&L playing (not just the track - the whole album)
I was strangely compelled to wander the aisles a lot longer than I'd originally intended

I love the Rolling Stones

Posted by: Greg ()
Date: December 30, 2016 18:21

with sssoul
I was strangely compelled to wander the aisles a lot longer than I'd originally intended

Thx with sssoul, I think that answers my question ;-)

----------------------------
"Music is the frozen tapioca in the ice chest of history."

"Shit!... No shit, awright!"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-30 18:22 by Greg.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: December 30, 2016 23:32

with sssoul

this is what is all about

Posted by: Moonshine ()
Date: December 31, 2016 17:32

B&L and Crosseyed Heart two fantastic, unexpected delights. Love them both in different ways, amazing these guys still delivering.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: December 31, 2016 17:43

Moonshine
B&L and Crosseyed Heart two fantastic, unexpected delights. Love them both in different ways, amazing these guys still delivering.

thumbs upsmileys with beer

...and it's not over yet!

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: December 31, 2016 18:36

Album is on sale at Itunes USA, $6.99, right now #2 on their best sellers list.
[itunes.apple.com]

Also on sale at Amazon UK, £6.99 both versions, Jewel case and Digipack:
[www.amazon.co.uk]

It looks like the album will be a steady seller at those prices.

Edit: the album is already #2 on Itunes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-31 18:49 by georgelicks.

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: December 31, 2016 18:53

Moonshine

And...a decent live album/video, Havana Moon; & a great documentary, Ole' Ole' Ole'. From the vault we get the fantastic Totally Stripped box, Leeds 71, SF bonus tracks, Leeds '82, Marquee '71, and Hyde Park '69. The past several months have been amazing, keep 'em coming, guys!!!

Re: GeorgeLicks: Any idea how Blue & Lonesome is expected to sell?
Date: December 31, 2016 19:02

georgelicks
Any idea how their new material is coming along (for the supposed studio album of all original stuff in progress) and have they been working on it?

There's no rush for the new studio album, don't hold your breath, as far I know they have 6-7 new songs recorded and there's no studio time booked for at least the next 3-4 months, it's all about family time after the promo for exhibition.

The new blues album will calm down the expectations for a new original songs album and let's be honest, the world is not dying to hear a new Stones record, we'll see how much the new blues album sell, Universal is expecting 800k - 1m copies worldwide at best.

Hi Georgelicks,
do you think they'll go back in studio in january?

Posted by: Moonshine ()
Date: January 1, 2017 01:26

Ross
Moonshine

And...a decent live album/video, Havana Moon; & a great documentary, Ole' Ole' Ole'. From the vault we get the fantastic Totally Stripped box, Leeds 71, SF bonus tracks, Leeds '82, Marquee '71, and Hyde Park '69. The past several months have been amazing, keep 'em coming, guys!!!

Absolutely. And to think we used to go years without a thing. 'Cept those old classics of course.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: January 1, 2017 19:33

B&L is right now #1 on Amazon and #2 on Itunes in the US (priced at $6.99)

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 1, 2017 20:29

Went to see ROGUE ONE and in the lobby heard Just Your Fool on the radio or whatever goofy music thing they play, had some cheesy guy announcing information about the song artist etc.

Imagine that - NEW Stones on the RADIO. In some way. In a public space. Not any snore like Angie or SFTD or all that old shit - something new.

I was pleased.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 1, 2017 20:47

GasLightStreet
Went to see ROGUE ONE and in the lobby heard Just Your Fool on the radio or whatever goofy music thing they play, had some cheesy guy announcing information about the song artist etc.

Imagine that - NEW Stones on the RADIO. In some way. In a public space. Not any snore like Angie or SFTD or all that old shit - something new.

I was pleased.

I was at the Goodwill thrift store yesterday donating a bunch of old clothes, kitchen utensils, etc. and Mick's Just Another Night was playing over the soundsystem.
It sounded really dated which was appropriate to hear at a thrift store - something old and somewhat useless...

Date: January 1, 2017 20:51

matxil
GasLightStreet
maumau
matxil
...just a blues album well done. At this point in their career, that's the best we can get: good but not great, and a bit pointless given that most of the album has been done already by others at least as well.

If that was a point, the catalogue of many great artists would be pointless.

HA HA! You got that right! Frank Sinatra anyone?

Maybe I should apologize for my previous post. Last year I was very enthusiastic about Crosseyed Heart and I was often surprised how people felt the need to continuously shoot it down so much. I don't want to make the same mistake myself now with B&L. So I promise I won't say more about it.
I am glad so many people enjoy the album so much and maumau made some interesting points in writing why he does.
I hope I am excused, however, to remark that I absolutely detest Frank Sinatra (his singing, his music, his style, etc) and I haven't gone as sour as to compare the Stones to him and I hope it will never come to that.

The Frank Sinatra bit was he recorded some of "his" songs more than once. The Stones haven't done that but the point was, Frank's catalogue is immense, which is how I perceived what matxil said. So the Stones did an album of covers. They've got plenty of other covers especially from the mid-1960s.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: January 1, 2017 22:54

Frank Sinatra´s singing and music is absolutely unique. His voice, timbre and phrasing makes me listen to music I wouldn´t listen to if it was sung by any other artist. He will remain the best male singer in popular music for all time. There will never be another one like him. He´s the boss of the bosses. The chairman of the board, the voice, the entertainer of the century and so much more. A hundred years from today he will still be there, I wish I could say the same of the Stones. Sinatra will outlive any other musician of the 20th century, he will be still popular in 2387. He is an icon. And what a hell of a singer, no one touches Sinatra, no one. Never.

Date: January 1, 2017 23:31

matxil

Maybe I should apologize for my previous post. Last year I was very enthusiastic about Crosseyed Heart and I was often surprised how people felt the need to continuously shoot it down so much. I don't want to make the same mistake myself now with B&L. So I promise I won't say more about it.

There's nothing wrong with critical reviews.

I was talking with a friend of mine about the B&L album yesterday and I told him that about the only thing I really like about it is the almost Tayloresque melodic guitar solo without vibrato played by Ron Wood on track 12 "I can't quit you Baby", and I wondered how they plastered i.e. edited it together.

It turned out to be played by Clapton, that friend assured me.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-01 23:50 by TheflyingDutchman.

Date: January 2, 2017 18:34

Hairball
GasLightStreet

I was pleased.

I was at the Goodwill thrift store yesterday donating a bunch of old clothes, kitchen utensils, etc. and Mick's Just Another Night was playing over the soundsystem.
It sounded really dated which was appropriate to hear at a thrift store - something old and somewhat useless...

That is hilarious! That's how I feel about SHE'S THE BOSS, DIRTY WORK and PRIMITIVE COOL. All just horrible albums.

Date: January 2, 2017 18:54

GasLightStreet
Hairball
GasLightStreet

I was pleased.

That is hilarious! That's how I feel about SHE'S THE BOSS, DIRTY WORK and PRIMITIVE COOL. All just horrible albums.

thumbs up
...and what about Goddess in the doorway?!!

Date: January 2, 2017 19:59

GODDESS IN THE DOORWAY is outside of The Era Of Crap with the Stones. It's its own era and such an isolated time. There are songs that I like on all of Jagger's solo albums but he has only one that is good. GITD is crap but has a couple of good tunes on it. However it's nothing to listen to.

Look at that era - it's all because of Jagger, really, with his solo albums bookending that Stones 'album'. Keith corrected the ship with TALK IS CHEAP but it was then buffered by STEEL WHEELS, which, at the time was EXILE compared to that sewerage system collection of music released in 1986 - but it hasn't aged well. Keith again corrected the ship with MAIN OFFENDER, which was supported by the excellent WANDERING SPIRIT and then we got a decent OK Stones album with VOODOO LOUNGE, 9 years after they started recording the sewer bomb. The ship was at least floating again. Things were at least moving in the right direction. It's just amazing it took them this long to get it fully back in order.

Interesting that this thread still hasn't done even half of what the CROSSEYED HEART thread did if I recall correctly. It is a nice bit though, Keith's album and now this Stones album.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-05 02:02 by GasLightStreet.

Posted by: mpj200 ()
Date: January 3, 2017 02:23

Don't know if it's interesting or sad? I think it shows a need for a realty check for some people on where the band is at this stage of their career. I really hope they can sort things out and have the opportunity and time to record another record.

If not, this would be the final album of the world's greatest band. And sadly, the thread is filled with negativity and expectations that the band should sound like they did in the 70's.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: January 3, 2017 15:51

Hairball

Just Another Night may sound dated but most 80s music does. Back then everyone I knew thought of it as a great song, which indeed it is. A great song on a bad album. Never heard the song outside of my home in ages, but should I, I would be extremely excited. We used to play JAN at parties back then and usually someone would crank it up to the max. Everybody loved it. Had Mick recorded the song with the Stones it could have been a number one hit.

Back to B&L, I listen to it only once in a week to avoid an overdose. Still sounds great to me, it´s a killer album. Covers, originals, I don´t really care, as long as it is as good as B&L. They have not been that good since Dirty Work and I honestly wish they would pick up another bunch of Blues-tunes instead of making an album of mediocre originals. They still can give us great single tunes like Doom And Gloom & Don´t Stop, but they can´t make an album of that "great-from-start-to-finish"-quality anymore, the last couple of albums went something like three or four excellent songs some decent-ok ones and lots and lots of fillers. Crosseyed Heart was everything but a stellar album. Goddess makes me blush and rage with anger. (Steel Wheels is the worst of all Stones-albums, although it contains two or three great songs). So if they haven´t got the creative power anymore, why they should not do cover albums, they always were great at covering other artist´s material and they still are. So put the 40 Jagger-demos back on the shelf. The Stones should give adult music to adult people. No matter what the moaners say, B&L is their best recording in 30 years.

Posted by: Idorh ()
Date: January 3, 2017 18:43

Here I agree with that.
They have made good albums, and indeed a few very good songs, but never an album where every song is good.
I always hoped that they would make an album of covers.
For me, they do not need to release an album with new songs.
Just what they do now, old blues songs that are not really known, and the magic stones way run as B & L.
I am not exaggerating, but his fans last year after 53 years, I had had enough, but this album I can not get enough.
The simplicity and the fun energy and emotion is overwhelming.
Gr. Bert.

Date: January 3, 2017 18:53

Idorh
They have made good albums, and indeed a few very good songs, but never an album where every song is good.

BEGGARS BANQUET, LET IT BLEED and STICKY FINGERS every song is good.

Posted by: Idorh ()
Date: January 3, 2017 19:05

You are right. They are simply amazing albums, with several top tracks. But standing on each album about two songs that I personally find less.
Bert.

Posted by: laf848 ()
Date: January 3, 2017 21:03

IMO, Exile On Main Street is the Greatest album Ever.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: January 3, 2017 21:31

mpj200
Don't know if it's interesting or sad? I think it shows a need for a realty check for some people on where the band is at this stage of their career. I really hope they can sort things out and have the opportunity and time to record another record.

If not, this would be the final album of the world's greatest band. And sadly, the thread is filled with negativity and expectations that the band should sound like they did in the 70's.

I have high expectations for the new studio album of originals.....It's all up to Mick and Keith IMO

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: January 3, 2017 21:42

Maindefender
mpj200

I have high expectations for the new studio album of originals.....It's all up to Mick and Keith IMO

well how can expectations be so high considering their original output since at least 1997? too many things should go along different patterns imo. Sure I hope that B&L serves as benchmark for their work on new songs. otherwise we're going to have a good album at best I am afraid

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-03 21:53 by maumau.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: January 3, 2017 21:59

maumau
Maindefender
mpj200

well how can expectations be so high considering their original output since at least 1997? too many things should go along different patterns imo. Sure I hope that B&L serves as benchmark for their work on new songs. otherwise we're going to have a good album at best I am afraid

I maintain the next album completes the trilogy of strong releases since CR and the momentum gained since returning to touring in late 2012.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...104105106107108109110111112113114...LastNext
Current Page: 109 of 117

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1392
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home