Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...103104105106107108109110111112113...LastNext
Current Page: 108 of 117
Re: The Rolling Stones new blues album "Blue & Lonesome" due out Dec 2
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 27, 2016 19:14

matxil
Just got my copy of B&L for christmas. It's as I expected: a job well done. Nothing less, nothing more. Little Rain is great. The rest is just a blues album well done. At this point in their career, that's the best we can get: good but not great, and a bit pointless given that most of the album has been done already by others at least as well.
For the Stones, doing an album of originals now would very likely be worse, while doing more cover albums would be plain silly. Maybe if they would just mess around, do some sketchy jams, have some fun, nothing polished it might get interesting, but I know that's not going to happen. So I am hoping this it: a decent finale to a band that was once truelly great and was able to say goodbye with a decent blues album.

For the most part, agreed.
For the final part - hoping you're wrong.
There's still some life left in those old Stones!

Posted by: laf848 ()
Date: December 27, 2016 19:17

Blue And Lonesome is an Outstanding album, Perfect IMO. I have played this album since the day it was released.

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: December 27, 2016 20:56

Posted by: Idorh ()
Date: December 28, 2016 02:43

This morning in Goes (city in province Zeeland, Holland), the album as a reserve purchased at the music store. only 2 after they were sold out. The text on the cover was English, but rerunning on my PC were the titles in Japanese ???

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 28, 2016 18:04

Keith starts Ride 'Em On Down.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: December 28, 2016 18:32

matxil
Just got my copy of B&L for christmas. It's as I expected: a job well done. Nothing less, nothing more. Little Rain is great. The rest is just a blues album well done. At this point in their career, that's the best we can get: good but not great, and a bit pointless given that most of the album has been done already by others at least as well.

If that was a point, the catalogue of many great artists would be pointless. Nina Simone comes to my mind now for example. Of course the Stones are not "interpreters" but the Stones have a unique sound, a sound that in more than 50 years has made them what they are and a sonic symbol of rock and roll for generations. "This" sound, though not at its 1970 peak for sure, is still all over this record, and so it is beyond my grasp to read on a Rolling Stones fan site that it is a bit pointless because most of it has been done by others. Their sound is not pointless a bit to my ears, I must admit.

then I would love also to be presented with all those other valuable great covers of All Of Your Love or Blue & Lonesome or I gotta go or Hoodoo Blues or...

But of course in the lack of them then there would still remain the unbeatable "originals" to keep the Stones ones pointless..

All I am saying make it a competitor to Exile or Somegirls? NO for sure. And in the end I could agree with your comment "a job well done" but I would probably say "Job well done Stones!"

cheeeeeeers
smileys with beer

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-28 18:47 by maumau.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 28, 2016 18:43

maumau
matxil
...just a blues album well done. At this point in their career, that's the best we can get: good but not great, and a bit pointless given that most of the album has been done already by others at least as well.

If that was a point, the catalogue of many great artists would be pointless.

HA HA! You got that right! Frank Sinatra anyone?

Date: December 28, 2016 19:32

maumau
matxil

If that was a point, the catalogue of many great artists would be pointless. Nina Simone comes to my mind now for example. Of course the Stones are not "interpreters" but the Stones have a unique sound, a sound that in more than 50 years has made them what they are and a sonic symbol of rock and roll for generations. "This" sound, though not at its 1970 peak for sure, is still all over this record, and so it is beyond my grasp to read on a Rolling Stones fan site that it is a bit pointless because most of it has been done by others. Their sound is not pointless a bit to my ears, I must admit.

then I would love also to be presented with all those other valuable great covers of All Of Your Love or Blue & Lonesome or I gotta go or Hoodoo Blues or...

But of course in the lack of them then there would still remain the unbeatable "originals" to keep the Stones ones pointless..

All I am saying make it a competitor to Exile or Somegirls? NO for sure. And in the end I could agree with your comment "a job well done" but I would probably say "Job well done Stones!"

cheeeeeeers
smileys with beer

thumbs up

Posted by: JadedFaded ()
Date: December 28, 2016 22:33

Blue and Lonesome is not pointless and is more than just decent. It is the Stones giving tribute to the music that is their roots. It isn't like Rod Stewart crooning "It Had to be You." The Stones and blues are a special combination. This record is a treat for fans and they must have had a blast recording it. And if it turns on any new fans to the blues, so much the better. I thank the Stones for this truly enjoyable album of great blues done Stones-style.

Posted by: mpj200 ()
Date: December 29, 2016 07:18

I'd love to see another album of originals. But the truth is the songs they have need work. Mick and Keith are not on the same page, and getting them all together, apart from playing shows, is quite the challenge.

Keith tried to get them in the studio last month while they were all in NY. It didn't happen.

I do hope they can work it out and come together, in concept, and on the calendar. But there is also the possibility that Blue and Lonesome could be the last Stones record ever. So enjoy it for what it is. We may or may not get another one. If not, this is a very good and fitting final album.

Fingers crossed.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: December 29, 2016 13:42

mpj200
I'd love to see another album of originals. But the truth is the songs they have need work. Mick and Keith are not on the same page, and getting them all together, apart from playing shows, is quite the challenge.

Keith tried to get them in the studio last month while they were all in NY. It didn't happen.

I do hope they can work it out and come together, in concept, and on the calendar. But there is also the possibility that Blue and Lonesome could be the last Stones record ever. So enjoy it for what it is. We may or may not get another one. If not, this is a very good and fitting final album.

Fingers crossed.

HiMPJ, i believe it was you, who said the Blue n lonesome recordings were filmed. is this for general release, or for the band themselves? do you know more about it.
thanks
jeroen

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: December 29, 2016 16:33

JadedFaded
Blue and Lonesome is not pointless and is more than just decent....

You be correct, it's fantastic. Some have made up their minds not like it and seem to be inventing reasons ... but hey, if they aren't listening then its their loss. There's loads of brilliant stuff on this album.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: December 29, 2016 17:01

the success of this record is really a tacit acknowledgement to the simple fact that they sound like the Rolling Stones...again....finally.....and how great for music, them and us....hope they build on this. the rave reviews and sales certainly suggest this.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: December 29, 2016 17:41

Rip This
the success of this record is really a tacit acknowledgement to the simple fact that they sound like the Rolling Stones...again....finally.....and how great for music, them and us....hope they build on this. the rave reviews and sales certainly suggest this.

Keep the momentum going.......thumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: December 29, 2016 19:12

mpj200
I'd love to see another album of originals...

We all would.

However, many didn't seem to be on board with a blues covers album beforehand (not me, btw, I was confident that behind Charlie, Ronnie & Keith that it would be great) but seeing as it passed most of our expectations, including my own, I would be perfectly happy with a B&L part 2!!

Date: December 29, 2016 20:40

corriecas
mpj200

Fingers crossed.

HiMPJ, i believe it was you, who said the Blue n lonesome recordings were filmed. is this for general release, or for the band themselves? do you know more about it.
thanks
jeroen

Not for general release, but clips were used for Hate To See You Go. A few people on here can thank Kristen Stewart for doing the Ride Em On Down video, as that footage will likely hit the cutting floor now.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: December 29, 2016 21:00

mpj200

Fingers crossed.

I'm no longer sure about a new album of originals...unfortunately.
sad smiley

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: December 29, 2016 21:35

KRiffhard
mpj200

Fingers crossed.

I'm no longer sure about a new album of originals...unfortunately.
sad smiley

Don't give into the dark side of the force KRiffhard....winking smiley

Date: December 29, 2016 22:02

There is no doubt that the success of B&L has given the band a kick up the arse. But Mick doesn't want to do another blues bit. He wants to record his songs. Keith wants to write with Mick. Meanwhile they are looking at tour dates.

I'm just guessing, but don't be surprised if all we see is a small tour of Europe in 2017. And we should all be thankful for that and getting B&L for Christmas. I do hope I'm wrong, but not getting my hopes up.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: December 29, 2016 22:55

exilestones
schillid

I always love your gifs!

Thank you kindly.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: December 29, 2016 23:44

mpj200
There is no doubt that the success of B&L has given the band a kick up the arse. But Mick doesn't want to do another blues bit. He wants to record his songs. Keith wants to write with Mick. Meanwhile they are looking at tour dates.

I'm just guessing, but don't be surprised if all we see is a small tour of Europe in 2017. And we should all be thankful for that and getting B&L for Christmas. I do hope I'm wrong, but not getting my hopes up.

Yep. They both want to do a new Stones album. I think a few clustered European tour dates for money makes sense as part of that plan. I suspect though the hope would be to release the album for next Christmas.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: December 30, 2016 00:52

The Stones are a hot selling act again, B&L will sell steady from mouth to mouth during the next 3-4 months, then the European tour will help too during the summer, they won't release anything until late 2017.

Date: December 30, 2016 01:00

Wondering why Mick doesn't want to collaborate with Keith and instead force his demos onto the Stones?
It's been said many times (not just by me), but he ought to release those as a solo album - he can have complete control and get feedback from Dave Stewart.
For the sake of humanity and music fans around the world, please quit being stubborn Mick, and write something new with Keith for crying out loud!

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: December 30, 2016 01:20

Hairball
Wondering why Mick doesn't want to collaborate with Keith and instead force his demos onto the Stones?
It's been said many times (not just by me), but he ought to release those as a solo album - he can have complete control and get feedback from Dave Stewart.
For the sake of humanity and music fans around the world, please quit being stubborn Mick, and write something new with Keith for crying out loud!

We're not in 1971 anymore, they are not going to spend more than 2-3 weeks on the studio, Mick won't do it, even B&L had the weekend off (Friday Dec. 11 - Monday/Tuesday Dec. 14-15), Keith's latest album was recorded during 3 YEARS, and he only worked with his pal Steve Jordan, sometimes 2-3 days for month.

Date: December 30, 2016 01:28

georgelicks
Hairball

We're not in 1971 anymore, they are not going to spend more than 2-3 weeks on the studio, Mick won't do it, even B&L had the weekend off (Friday Dec. 11 - Monday/Tuesday Dec. 14-15), Keith's latest album was recorded during 3 YEARS, and he only worked with his pal Steve Jordan, sometimes 2-3 days for month.

I hear ya georgelicks...I was just venting out some frustration.
If I were to be totally honest, I wouldnt expect anything more from them.
B&L II would be nice, but Mick doesn't want to do it. Mick wants his demos as Stones songs, but Keith says no way.
As has been mentioned, B&L would be a nice bookend to their recording career, and I could live with that.
Never say never though...thumbs up

Date: December 30, 2016 01:41

George has nailed it, hasn't he? Times have changed. They don't hang out together like they used to. They all lead very separate lives. I'm thankful they are in talks about more shows next year. We should all be thankful they are still alive and performing.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: December 30, 2016 02:21

Hairball

Source?

Never mind.. found it.
[upload.wikimedia.org]

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: December 30, 2016 03:38

...bulls eye

Date: December 30, 2016 03:57

MisterDDDD
Hairball

Source?

Never mind.. found it.
[upload.wikimedia.org]

If you would have spent 30 more seconds reading this page of this thread, you would have found the correct source as mpj200 who stated:

"Mick doesn't want to do another blues bit. He wants to record his songs. Keith wants to write with Mick".

I was simply echoing the sentiment...

ps - you need to find some new material as your sarcasm has become stale.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: December 30, 2016 14:05

GasLightStreet
maumau
matxil
...just a blues album well done. At this point in their career, that's the best we can get: good but not great, and a bit pointless given that most of the album has been done already by others at least as well.

If that was a point, the catalogue of many great artists would be pointless.

HA HA! You got that right! Frank Sinatra anyone?

Maybe I should apologize for my previous post. Last year I was very enthusiastic about Crosseyed Heart and I was often surprised how people felt the need to continuously shoot it down so much. I don't want to make the same mistake myself now with B&L. So I promise I won't say more about it.
I am glad so many people enjoy the album so much and maumau made some interesting points in writing why he does.
I hope I am excused, however, to remark that I absolutely detest Frank Sinatra (his singing, his music, his style, etc) and I haven't gone as sour as to compare the Stones to him and I hope it will never come to that.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...103104105106107108109110111112113...LastNext
Current Page: 108 of 117

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1777
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home