Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...101102103104105106107108109110111...LastNext
Current Page: 106 of 117
Re: The Rolling Stones new blues album "Blue & Lonesome" due out Dec 2
Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: December 25, 2016 04:37

Mr. mpj20, I'd just really like to seriously discuss this without throwing in arguments that make no sense. Can't you just tell me what makes you think it's Ron? Is this that hard? I love discussing different guitar styles and comparing them, and finding out who's playing what. Why can't you just do that with me?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-25 04:41 by MonkeyMan2000.

Posted by: mpj200 ()
Date: December 25, 2016 04:43

Delete

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-25 05:13 by mpj200.

Date: December 25, 2016 04:49

Mpj200, I said I appreciate your insights and I didn't want to offend or anything. I hope I wasn't immodest or something. But in this discussion I really don't care how good you know anyone in this band. I just want to discuss this on a sheer factual level. Now one last time I try to ask you:
Why do you think it's Ron?

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 25, 2016 04:50

Could it be that Ronnie is a good student of his boss (Master Keith), and has learned to master/replicate/mimic the classic Keith style?
Kind of like the old '70's television series 'Kung Fu' with David Carradine...where the Master teaches the young Grasshopper the tricks of the trade.

Date: December 25, 2016 04:59

MonkeyMan2000
Mpj200, I said I appreciate your insights and I didn't want to offend or anything. I hope I wasn't immodest or something. But in this discussion I really don't care how good you know anyone in this band. I just want to discuss this on a sheer factual level. Now one last time I try to ask you:

Factual level? Argue with the band then. Not me.

Date: December 25, 2016 05:00

Hairball
Could it be that Ronnie is a good student of his boss (Master Keith), and has learned to master/replicate/mimic the classic Keith style?
Kind of like the old '70's television series 'Kung Fu' with David Carradine...where the Master teaches the young Grasshopper the tricks of the trade.

Ronnie plays some licks he learned from Keith. But the guitar on the left is totally the way Ronnie plays rhythm and later in the song he plays the lead licks and turnarounds. And Keith's guitar on the right is playing the lead intro, then mostly boogie boogie and the same turnarounds he plays on JYF. Here and there Keith throws in those licks where he hammers on the Eb, the same lick he plays on the Stripped version of Spider And The Fly, just in B Major instead of E Major.

Posted by: Anitapal82 ()
Date: December 25, 2016 05:01

There is no chance that Keith or Mick would say to Ron you play the intro in case Keith @#$%& it up

Date: December 25, 2016 05:02

mpj200
MonkeyMan2000

Factual level? Argue with the band then. Not me.

You really don't want to answer me, huh? Anyway I don't think we'll get to a solution this way. But can I ask you another question: Do you play guitar or any other instrument?

(I have to say that I should have written musical level instead of factual level)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-25 05:05 by MonkeyMan2000.

Date: December 25, 2016 05:13

Anitapal82
There is no chance that Keith or Mick would say to Ron you play the intro in case Keith @#$%& it up

This is also true.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 25, 2016 05:23

MonkeyMan2000
Hairball

Ronnie plays some licks he learned from Keith. But the guitar on the left is totally the way Ronnie plays rhythm and later in the song he plays the lead licks and turnarounds. And Keith's guitar on the right is playing the lead intro, then mostly boogie boogie and the same turnarounds he plays on JYF. Here and there Keith throws in those licks where he hammers on the Eb, the same lick he plays on the Stripped version of Spider And The Fly, just in B Major instead of E Major.

I dunno you kind of lost me there.
I've played the guitar for over 40 years but tend not to overanalyze certain things, so perhaps this particular debate is not for me.
Some things are best left a mystery anyways, especially when the question at hand can lead to distress.

Date: December 25, 2016 05:24

I'm giving up. I hope you got what you wanted: You got to mention that you know the band. But I'm wondering how you discussed the songs with them when you can't do the same with me. That discussion was meant to be serious and on a musical level, not at all offending or questioning. It just turned into another one of those endless "Ask the band" and "Argue with the band" discussions without any kind of significant point. Like we've haven't already seen them enough on this board.

Date: December 25, 2016 05:29

Hairball, maybe you're right, I may overanalyze it. I just don't like discussions without expressive points. I really didn't want this to end like this, and if it was my fault, I'm sorry.

Date: December 25, 2016 05:34

MonkeyMan2000
I'm giving up. I hope you got what you wanted: You got to mention that you know the band. But I'm wondering how you discussed the songs with them when you can't do the same with me. That discussion was meant to be serious and on a musical level, not at all offending or questioning. It just turned into another one of those endless "Ask the band" and "Argue with the band" discussions without any kind of significant point. Like we've haven't already seen them enough on this board.

anonymity mate.

Date: December 25, 2016 05:44

mpj200
anonymity mate.

Significant point ON A MUSICAL LEVEL!!! Haha, why am I always so obsessed over details anyway. Hairball, it really is best left a mystery.
Have a good night you two smileys with beer

Date: December 25, 2016 05:51

smileys with beer

Date: December 25, 2016 07:28

There is no way in the world that Keith does the intro in ride em on down. People get so adamant on this board , just like me !

Posted by: z ()
Date: December 25, 2016 08:33

If it's not Keith on the intro, that means Keith plays the solo. Are you saying that Keith plays the solo on REOD?

Date: December 25, 2016 08:39

No Ron does the solo

Posted by: z ()
Date: December 25, 2016 08:52

Imho it's not the same guitar on the intro and on the solo.

Date: December 25, 2016 09:21

It has to be Ron doing both , unfortunately Keith hasn't played like that for a long time imho

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: December 25, 2016 09:24

The intro to Ride 'Em On Down is Keith; the solo is Ronnie. There are two distinctly different sounding guitar-tracks on this recording; Ronnie on the left channel; Keith on the right.

Date: December 25, 2016 09:37

See previous post

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: December 25, 2016 09:50

Anitapal82
See previous post

To my ears, it really sounds like Keith. It's clearly, Ronnie on the left; Keith on the right.

Date: December 25, 2016 09:51

Actually it could be Keith Can somebody ask him

Date: December 25, 2016 11:19

Do you really mean that it's been a long time since Keith played a Berry-lick or a blues-lick, Anitapal? That's all he does today, when playing lead (save the meet and greet-numbers SFTD and Satisfaction) smiling smiley

Try Blues In The Morning for an extended version of his intro here.

We're lucky to have a guitarist in our favourite band, with such a unique and idiosyncratic sound.

Maybe Ronnie played the intro first, and Keith wiped it? Wouldn't be the first time (The Hang Fire-solo comes to mind).

What everyone should know is that Keith's track continues with the very same sound throughout the track. Most likely it's indeed a one-take job.

Good playing by Keith and Ronnie on this track, btw. A real groover thumbs up

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-25 11:30 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: December 25, 2016 11:23

Hairball

According to Ronnie himself, he is. I still haven't heard anything to back it up.

There was a discussion back in the day about whether Ronnie imitated Keith on the She Was Hot-solo. But that's far out there, imo. Ronnie just isn't a down-to-the-details-kind of guy in his guitar playing. Eventually, he will always reveal himself smiling smiley

Date: December 25, 2016 12:24

Hi dandelion what I meant was if it is Keith playing the intro lead on ride em on down it sounds great and he hasn't sounded that good doing lead for a long time. Let's have more of it

Date: December 25, 2016 13:25

Anitapal82
Hi dandelion what I meant was if it is Keith playing the intro lead on ride em on down it sounds great and he hasn't sounded that good doing lead for a long time. Let's have more of it

I got that, but personally I think he sounded just as good on Blues In The Morning from last year.

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: December 25, 2016 13:37

video: [youtu.be]

This live video from Ride Em On Down shows the guitarwork. Ronnie intro.

Date: December 25, 2016 14:31

RipThisBone
video: [youtu.be]

This live video from Ride Em On Down shows the guitarwork. Ronnie intro.

How does it show the playing on the album?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...101102103104105106107108109110111...LastNext
Current Page: 106 of 117

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1789
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home