Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...9293949596979899100101102...LastNext
Current Page: 97 of 117
Re: The Rolling Stones new blues album "Blue & Lonesome" due out Dec 2
Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: December 13, 2016 13:37

sundevil
great record, but i wish they had picked up some "blues artists" names.

Lightnin' Mick Jagger
Howlin' Keef
Magic Woody
Charlie "Blue" Watts.

other than that, perfect record.
That's pretty good , i enjoyed that !

Date: December 13, 2016 14:00

TheGreek

Lightnin' Mick Jagger
Howlin' Keef
Magic Woody
Charlie "Blue" Watts.

other than that, perfect record. That's pretty good , i enjoyed that !

They have pretty good nicknames already, though winking smiley

Jumping Jack Flash
Keef Riffhards
Woody
The Wembley Whammer

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: December 13, 2016 15:42

DandelionPowderman

Lightnin' Mick Jagger
Howlin' Keef
Magic Woody
Charlie "Blue" Watts.

other than that, perfect record. That's pretty good , i enjoyed that !

They have pretty good nicknames already, though winking smiley

Jumping Jack Flash
Keef Riffhards
Woody
The Wembley Whammer
So true and you can't beat the orginals which you kindly reminded me off .Thank you thumbs up

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: December 13, 2016 15:53

marcovandereijk
But it is encouraging that the album sells well. That might be an incentive to get back to the studio once more, set up the equipment like they did last time, and play with ideas, they'll have coming from any direction.

This could lead to another Blues album rather than an album of originals. They seem to have certain problems in finishing an original album and it seems they aren´t quite satisfied with the few results that are already in the can. So another Blues-album would be easy to do, it would be more fun to do, it would be in the can within a few days and fans probably would be more happy with it than with an album of so-so-originals. I doubt they can transfer the vitality of B&L into an original album. Mick for instance would probably fall back into his "over-jaggered" style of singing which was sometimes very annoying on the last couple of albums. There would be awful ballads... horrible attempts to sound modern... mediocre songwriting... I would rather like to see them doing cover-albums, Blues, Soul, R&B... It doesn´t have to be a Jagger/Richards-composition, the Stones make every song their own. Look at glorious Harlem Shuffle, what a monster of a song, pure greatness, much much better than the original I´ve never cared for. Ain´t Too Proud To Beg - marvelous too. Why not record a Chuck-Berry-Tribute-album? Why not picking up soul classics of the 60s and 70s?

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: December 13, 2016 16:09

Instead of a Chuck Berry tribute album, why not link up in the studios with him and help him finish HIS album.
"Chuck Berry and the Rolling Stones"...has a nice ring to it.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: December 13, 2016 17:06

From my point of view, regarding the Rolling Stones:

An album of blues covers has a significantly higher status than an album of covers from any other genres.

A second album of blues covers will not have the same status as a first album of blues covers.

In short, I now hope for an album of mainly Jagger Richards originals. I also hope that the making of BLUE AND LONESOME and its success will inspire such an album of their own originals.

But, of course, everything is up to the band.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: December 13, 2016 17:16

DandelionPowderman
I just came back from the record store in my lunch break. They played the entire Blue & Lonesome there smiling smiley

The last time that happened to me was when Steel Wheels came out. Never listened to it before, so it came as a total surprise. I was in a record store when suddenly Sad Sad Sad roared out of the speakers, considerably louder than the music that was played before. They played the first five tracks up until Hearts For Sale. Everything sounded so f***ing good! I felt so proud that 'my Stones' were finally back with such a strong album after a, ehm, a bit weaker effort with Dirty Work. Back then, I would have never imagined that decades later, Steel Wheels obviously doesn't have that many fans anymore. I sincerely hope that Blue And Lonesome won't suffer a similar fate in the years to come.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-13 17:17 by retired_dog.

Posted by: laf848 ()
Date: December 13, 2016 17:17

Instead of a Chuck Berry tribute album, why not link up in the studios with him and help him finish HIS album.

I agree with you. When was the last time, Chuck Berry made a good album.

Posted by: Socrates1 ()
Date: December 13, 2016 17:18

@Witness, yup.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: December 13, 2016 17:27

Witness

An album of blues covers has a significantly higher status than an album of covers from any other genres.

A second album of blues covers will not have the same status as a first album of blues covers.

In short, I now hope for an album of mainly Jagger Richards originals. I also hope that the making of BLUE AND LONESOME and its success will inspire such an album of their own originals.

Agree with you in general, but in case they can't fill a whole album with strong original songs, I would not mind an album with a mix of original tunes, blues, soul and Chuck Berry covers at all, like Out Of Our Heads or similar early albums.

Posted by: mariano ()
Date: December 13, 2016 17:33

Hi, anyone knows something about a fourteen tracks version for south america...?

Date: December 13, 2016 17:44

@retired_dog, yes, that would be good too.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: December 13, 2016 17:53

Keith stated they haven't made their best album yet, God love him....

That being said I'm ready for a really strong album of originals with one or two cool covers......thumbs up

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: December 13, 2016 17:59

blue & awesome

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: December 13, 2016 18:13

laf848

I agree with you. When was the last time, Chuck Berry made a good album.

Probably about half a century ago!!
Well, I understand its 38 years since he put out an album of originals anyway.
Keith says he's prolific!

Date: December 13, 2016 18:24

@maumau: spot-on.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: December 13, 2016 18:32

mariano
Hi, anyone knows something about a fourteen tracks version for south america...?

I haven't read about that and given the fact the record is already out there I highly doubt about it.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: December 13, 2016 19:34

Maindefender

That being said I'm ready for a really strong album of originals with one or two cool covers......thumbs up

...better without covers!

Posted by: Idorh ()
Date: December 13, 2016 20:09

For me the half original and half covers.
Gr Bert.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 13, 2016 20:31

Maindefender

Agreed.
Whether it's blues, country, Motown, soul, reggae, etc., a couple of covers intermingled with originals would be great.
It's a Stones tradition on some of their best albums. Not saying those covers are always better, but they add a nice variety.

Going back to find a few quotes, found these.

"The reason we hit into the blues stuff was we were in a new studio and in new rooms, it always takes a while to adjust to sounds,"
Keith Richards tells Billboard at the opening party for the New York edition of their career retrospective Exhibitionism.
"So I said to Ronnie [Wood] and Mick [Jagger], 'Let's just hit into the blues,' something we're all familiar with to get the sound together.
It came together so quickly and so well, suddenly Mick said, 'Well in that case, let's do this Howlin' Wolf song,'
and one led to another and before we knew it we had an album without any intention of doing it.
"

While Keith may not be up front and center on the album guitar-wise, he's really the anchor and it was seemingly his brainchild to begin with. Any credit (or blame) for an all blues covers album mostly belongs to Keith. I assume he's happy (and surprised) with the way it's been selling, and while the album might not blaze any new trails musically speaking, it's a down to earth covers album of tried and true blues tunes which make it the best Stones album in decades. Would have been nice to have a Keith vocal though! And with the success of the covers album, not sure what to make of the following quote.

Q: Don Was told me that Mick‘s got 40 new songs.

“Being prolific dont mean shit“, replies Richards".

“I‘ve got three songs and they‘re dynamite. don‘t want to make any decisions about this until this record comes out,
because I think it might radically change Mick‘s attitude; it might change mine“

“I want to see the fallout from this record before I decide wheteher I want to record 40 of Mick‘s songs
or whether he wants to sit down with me and record some songs together. That‘s my thing. That‘s my ball there.
I‘ve always got a few songs on the back burner and so does Mick - he writes a lot. I don‘t.
I tend to concentrate on two or three really interesting riffs or ideas, rather than being prolific“.

With the success of the new covers album, will Mick re-evaluate all the inferior demos he brought to the sessions that ended up going nowhere? And will Keith convince Mick to sit down with him and work on his three 'dynamite' songs that have 'interesting riffs'? Somehow I don't think Keith will waste any more time in a studio 'hitting the wall' with unworkable demos, so maybe the success of this covers album bodes well for a new album of originals.

And then there's the quote from Ronnie regarding the new material.

"That's what we were working on when we decided to cut these blues songs," guitarist Ronnie Wood tells Billboard of the unfinished originals.
"The blues songs that we played we hit it once or twice maximum and cut it, so we had an album in two or three days. The new material will take a while to sit and reshape."

The new material ake a while to sit and reshape?
Why not just ditch all of that new material and start from scratch...let Keith bring in his 'really interesting riffs' and take it from there!

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: December 13, 2016 21:19

The guy who wrote this probably doesn't know where the songs came from. grinning smiley

"New at No. 4 is Blue & Lonesome, the latest album of original material from rock and roll legends The Rolling Stones. The blues record, which takes fans back to the old days of the band, starts with 123,000 equivalent copies. The title moved just a few copies more than in the group’s home country of the U.K., where this week it’s at the top of the albums chart."

[www.forbes.com]

I Love Blue & Lonesome
Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: December 13, 2016 21:50

Great album eh

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: December 13, 2016 21:57

Songs of the day:
All of Your Love
Commit a Crime

"you put poison in my coffee ... instead of milk or cream"
... i hate when that happens, i get that a lot.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 13, 2016 22:11

....simple ... give up coffee

ROCKMAN

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: December 13, 2016 22:18

Blue & Lonesome (of its kind) is the same quality for me as the 1st half 1963-1984 Stones
I listen over and over again without getting tired of it
Mick's voice, his singing is as great as on the 60's 70's albums
I also love the old fashioned production
A least commercial album without compromise and still a big commercial success
Amazing!
Long live The Rolling Stones!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-13 22:22 by 1962.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: December 13, 2016 23:00

Rockman
....simple ... give up coffee

Ha, no need, the morons put poison in 'instead' of milk or cream, so it's easy to spot, and hence why all attempts have failed.

It's when they realize to put it in 'with' the milk that I'll be in trouble ...

Date: December 13, 2016 23:09

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-13 23:25 by Maindefender.

Date: December 13, 2016 23:11

Hairball

Agreed.
Whether it's blues, country, Motown, soul, reggae, etc., a couple of covers intermingled with originals would be great.
It's a Stones tradition on some of their best albums. Not saying those covers are always better, but they add a nice variety.

They totally owned Just My Imagination.....smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-13 23:12 by Maindefender.

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: December 13, 2016 23:22

1962:

"I listen over and over again without getting tired of it (BLUE & LONESOME)
Mick's voice, his singing is as great as on the 60's 70's albums.
I also love the old fashioned production".

thumbs up

Me too!!!

While listening to BLUE AND LONEOME again made me think of the fact that A BIGGER BANG recorded with such passion and production would have been A BIGGER BANG especially when cut down to 11 tracks, something like this:

1. ROUGH JUSTICE
2. UNDER THE RADAR
3. IT WON'T TAKE LONG
4. BACK OF MY HAND
5. LAUGH I NEARLY DIED
6. SHE SAW ME COMMING
7. BIGGEST MISTAKE
8. OH NO NOT YOU AGAIN
9. DANGEROUS BEAUTY
10. INFAMY
11. DON'T WANNA GO HOME

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-13 23:24 by RipThisBone.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: December 13, 2016 23:39

Witness

thumbs up

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...9293949596979899100101102...LastNext
Current Page: 97 of 117

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2004
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home