Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8889909192939495969798...LastNext
Current Page: 93 of 117
Re: Clapton's contribution to Blue And Lonesome
Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: December 7, 2016 13:08

Clapton's guitar can be heard a mile away and is very unique and different style from Woody's guitar .Different styles. Close your eyes and listen .

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: December 7, 2016 13:14

TheGreek
Clapton's guitar can be heard a mile away and is very unique and different style from Woody's guitar .Different styles. Close your eyes and listen .

I DID ...and that's precisely why I started the thread. Because to my ears (which may well be significantly different to yours judging by your comment) - some of the guitar work on the track Blue And Lonesome does/did sound like Clapton. Hence I was surprised to discover that in fact he didn't contribute to it ........

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Date: December 7, 2016 13:20

paulywaul
TheGreek

I DID ...and that's precisely why I started the thread. Because to my ears (which may well be significantly different to yours judging by your comment) - some of the guitar work on the track Blue And Lonesome does/did sound like Clapton. Hence I was surprised to discover that in fact he didn't contribute to it ........
I will re listen and report back

Date: December 7, 2016 13:31

TheGreek
paulywaul
TheGreek

I will re listen and report back
Ok i listened again and to my ears it is Ronnie's guitar because Clapton has a different vibrato where Ronnie is more sharper and shorter where Claptons with his vibrato his notes have a different sound .To me Mick's harp is the dominant force on this track .

Date: December 7, 2016 13:40

Why is the version i have on my new CD 2 minutes shorter on i can't quit you baby than the one i am listening to on you tube at this moment ?

Posted by: z ()
Date: December 7, 2016 13:57

TheGreek
Why is the version i have on my new CD 2 minutes shorter on i can't quit you baby than the one i am listening to on you tube at this moment ?

Because the version you're listening to on YouTube is at a wrong speed.

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: December 8, 2016 20:47

Claptons slide-work on EKAMGT is truly great. Ronnie's solo is also immaculate. On ICQYB Clapton plays very trademark Clapton and delievers a nice solo along with tasteful fills which is expected. Ronnies solo here is right up there among his best work. Nice to hear!

[www.reverbnation.com]

Re: The Rolling Stones new blues album "Blue & Lonesome" due out Dec 2
Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: December 10, 2016 21:14

Would be great to hear Ronnie at this level... live on stage...

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: December 10, 2016 21:47

Okay, I've given the album another listen in my car, and I feel quite dumb for saying the guitars sound thin and reedy a few pages back.

I was at work the first time I listened, and wasn't REALLY listening (never a good idea), so only Mick's voice really cut through the haze of my job. Now that I've REALLY listened, yes, the guitars are just fine. Not a lot of overbearing lead work, but just excellent dirty blues riffing that serve the songs.

This is really good stuff. I'm so impressed.

Date: December 10, 2016 22:04

powerage78

Check out Ride 'Em On Down from Desert Trip.

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: December 10, 2016 22:21

DandelionPowderman

Lol I was going to say the same thing...Ronnie was really sharp that first weekend.

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: December 10, 2016 22:57

rattler2004

Lol I was going to say the same thing...Ronnie was really sharp that first weekend.
In Vegas as well... on fire.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: December 11, 2016 01:09

TooTough
Sorry, but I just don´t get the arguments of those
who don´t like the album. "Too rusty", "weak vocals",
"lack of grit" ...

I feel sorry for them - they just can´t cherish what
the band offers us in 2016 - after 54 years in business.
I´m glad they are alive and well and giving me some MUSIC.
I feel sorry for me as well.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: December 11, 2016 02:06

LeonidP
It's pretty amazing how some are totally missing the boat, btw. They didn't set out to remake Exile, or relive their glory days. They set out to play the basic covers that they love from the older blues artists, it's that simple.

So comparing to them in the late 60s or 70s is quite asinine, sorry to offend, but it is. Try instead comparing to things like "Just Want to Make Love to You", "Honest I Do", "Cops & Robbers", "I'm a King Bee" , think early covers as that's how they did this.

If you don't think they are comparable to the covers they did at that time, then you obviously haven't listened more than twice. And yes, I love the early covers too, but there is no way they 'blow these covers away', not with anyone giving them a real listen.

I did.

Date: December 11, 2016 02:07

LeonidP

I dont dislike the album and im glad they record and released something. But one must be critical!

Eggzactly, one must 'feel like one needs to be critical' ... even without really giving it a shot and/or considering there isn't much to be critical about.

Why is it important to be critical of those who are?

Posted by: Idorh ()
Date: December 11, 2016 02:31

In my 36 years of marriage, this is the first record of the Stones she appreciates.
I do not need to put on headphones hahaha. But it's a great album, Charlie is also great, Charlie is the heart of the band. It would be nice if the stones regularly would record a blues number in the future.
Gr Bert.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: December 11, 2016 03:12

It's been on Repeat here all day. Can't get enough of this! Volume II please, Boys?

Anyone else hearing a slower Fancy Man Blues in I Can't Quit You Baby? Loving it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-11 03:27 by SomeTorontoGirl.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 11, 2016 03:35

Lurv how Mick apes Otis Rush's emotional cries on Quit You Babeeeeee... ^^^^^^

ROCKMAN

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: December 11, 2016 03:55

It's now moved to Chicago,and onto Heathrow!
Got rather impatient waiting for this special cd,so got it down loaded to my phone.Wow this is an amazing album.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: December 11, 2016 05:07

Redhotcarpet

It's pretty amazing how some are totally missing the boat, btw. They didn't set out to remake Exile, or relive their glory days. They set out to play the basic covers that they love from the older blues artists, it's that simple.

So comparing to them in the late 60s or 70s is quite asinine, sorry to offend, but it is. Try instead comparing to things like "Just Want to Make Love to You", "Honest I Do", "Cops & Robbers", "I'm a King Bee" , think early covers as that's how they did this.

If you don't think they are comparable to the covers they did at that time, then you obviously haven't listened more than twice. And yes, I love the early covers too, but there is no way they 'blow these covers away', not with anyone giving them a real listen.

I did.

You didn't

Posted by: Donnebr ()
Date: December 11, 2016 05:09

The misses bought me this for Christmas on vinyl via amazon prime. Does it come with a download also? Can,t seen any codes etc. thanks

Posted by: Idorh ()
Date: December 11, 2016 10:02

Maybe someone can translate it better to English.
Unbelieveable. In 1964 the album The Rolling Stones came out. Full of energy and magic and driving construction. I was instantly hooked. In 1976, I was in a disco to turn the stones music, they said, the stones are too old and out of date. Then again 40 years later, they're like a steamroller around the world with tours and an album full of energy and magic and driving construction. For me it was the first album instinctively the best of the Stones. But now present 2016 Blue & Lonsome surpasses it. I can not get enough, every song I love. Will shine to that from 2016 to 2017.
Gr Bert from Holland.

Niet te geloven. In 1964 kwam het album The Rolling Stones uit. Vol energie en magie en stuwende opbouw. Ik was gelijk verslaafd. In 1976 vroeg ik in een discotheek om muziek van de stones te draaien, ze zeiden, de stones zijn te oud en uit de tijd. Dan weer 40 jaar later, gaan ze als een stoomwals de wereld rond met tournees en een album vol energie en magie en stuwende opbouw. Voor mij was het eerste album gevoelsmatig het beste van de Stones. Maar nu heden 2016 Blue & Lonsome overtreft het. Ik kan er geen genoeg van krijgen, elk nummer vind ik geweldig. Schitterd om zo van 2016 naar 2017 te gaan.
Gr Bert.

Date: December 11, 2016 11:35

Redhotcarpet

OK so that's a blues purist's opinion.

But this is The Rolling Stones...
singing THE BLUUUUUUUUUUUUUUES
at their best, baby !

I disagree - they have done a lot better. Listen to the band at their bluesiest in the early 60s, late 60s, early to mid 70s. When I heard their debut album i couldnt connect those little pics on the back sleeve to the music and the vocals. I knew they had to have another singer. This is Peter Pan pretending to sing the blues. I enjoy some of the music but thats about it.

Date: December 11, 2016 11:37

Redhotcarpet

OK so that's a blues purist's opinion.

But this is The Rolling Stones...
singing THE BLUUUUUUUUUUUUUUES
at their best, baby !

I disagree - they have done a lot better. Listen to the band at their bluesiest in the early 60s, late 60s, early to mid 70s. When I heard their debut album i couldnt connect those little pics on the back sleeve to the music and the vocals. I knew they had to have another singer. This is Peter Pan pretending to sing the blues. I enjoy some of the music but thats about it.

Is it just me or did you post the exact same post earlier?

Date: December 11, 2016 11:38

I qouted myself for Leonid

Date: December 11, 2016 13:35

Redhotcarpet
I qouted myself for Leonid

that wasn't my point ... it was that you haven't given the new ones a try yet. I'm not saying it has to be for everyone but there's no way the covers of the first album blow these away in any regard, including (and especially) vocals.

And, since you're quoting yourself, I will do the same ...
LeonidP

have you even listened to the new one more than twice? I know you'll say you did, but you didn't

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-11 14:11 by LeonidP.

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: December 11, 2016 15:06

Not even in the top 100 in Switzerland!? confused smiley

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: December 11, 2016 15:37

While I'm sure that I'll eventually want to dissect and analyze this album, I'm currently just enjoying the fact that it sounds GREAT! I haven't even bothered to find out which tunes Clapton plays on or who's playing what. It just sounds like raw, vital Stones blues and I love it. Although, knowing what we know from Keith's recent live work, I'm guessing that the flashier licks are not him. Who cares? This sounds more like the Stones than anything they've done in years, maybe decades. And I don't think the originals by Little Walter and company are really preferable. That's because they don't feature the voice of Mick Jagger, the guitars of Richards and Wood, etc. Not to mention Charlie Watts and Mick's awesome harp!

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: December 11, 2016 16:01

Sorry if already posted, haven't seen them here before:

Interview with Keith:
[www.youtube.com]

Interview with Ronnie:
[www.youtube.com]

Date: December 11, 2016 17:46

Redhotcarpet
Why is it important to be critical of those who are?

It's not, not even close. It's being critical of those that are just being critical for the sake of it, without really listening.

Your critique is too general ...BS, "it is not as good as their previous ..." etc. You're not saying anything specific about the release ("this song has too much bass, that song the guitar sucks, etc.) which gives the impression that you really didn't give it a try.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8889909192939495969798...LastNext
Current Page: 93 of 117

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1722
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home