Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8182838485868788899091...LastNext
Current Page: 86 of 117
Re: The Rolling Stones new blues album "Blue & Lonesome" due out Dec 2
Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: December 8, 2016 13:24

JumpingKentFlash
DeanGoodman
retired_dog

I wonder why no one (as far as I oversee the discussions here) has any desire for a Soul covers album which could be much more fruitful than a collection of Reggae or Country covers. They've already proven countless times live and in the studio that they're masters of covering this genre, just in the same way they can handle Blues.

+1. Soul (covers or originals) > Blues. See: Mick at the Grammys a few years ago for the Solomon Burke tribute.

+1
The Stones could do a trilogy. They have Blue & Lonesome now. Add an album of
Old rock n roll covers and an album of soul and reggae.

1. Blues (B & L)
2. Soul (Otis Redding etc.)
3. Country (Hank Williams etc.)
4. Rockabilly (Eddie Cichran etc.)

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: December 8, 2016 13:49

No please, no more cover albums. 1 was cool, more would be lame and cement their reputation as not having any creative force left. There might be one bad outcome from the unexpected success of B&L actually: They might feel even more insecure about their songwriting abilities and the reception of own songs now.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: December 8, 2016 13:56

Lorenz
No please, no more cover albums. 1 was cool, more would be lame and cement their reputation as not having any creative force left. There might be one bad outcome from the unexpected success of B&L actually: They might feel even more insecure about their songwriting abilities and the reception of own songs now.

I was thinking the same. I'm not so sure about a new album with original material...

Date: December 8, 2016 14:16

Another project could be like this:

1. "Country" compilation album
e. g. Dead Flowers, Sweet Virginia, Faraway Eyes etc. + new country covers

2. "Soul" compilation album
e. g. Thats How Strong My Love Is, I dont Know why, Pain In My Heart etc. + new soul covers

3. "Rockabilly" compilation album
e. g. Susie Q, Tallahassee Lassie, Neighbours etc. + new rockabilly covers

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-08 14:19 by 1962.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: December 8, 2016 14:30

So, I'm the only one not particularly overwhelmed by this album?

Date: December 8, 2016 14:32

Stoneage

Seems that you're the only one with mixed emotions

Cause "Blue & Lonesome" is @#$%& great !!!

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-08 14:41 by 1962.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: December 8, 2016 15:08

Stoneage

Guess that flying dutchmaker isn't impressed as well...so you're not the only one...

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: December 8, 2016 15:08

Okay, who's playing the trailing lead guitar on All Of Your Love? I'm assuming Keith but with all the Ronnie talk want to make sure. TIA...grinning smiley

Date: December 8, 2016 15:10

shortfatfanny

Guess that flying dutchmaker isn't impressed as well...so you're not the only one...

It's the same with our red hot finnish friend, I believe smiling smiley

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: December 8, 2016 15:13

DandelionPowderman

It's the same with our red hot finnish friend, I believe smiling smiley

True...but you mixed up the quotes...smoking smiley

EDIT : so did I without purpose...weird...somehow

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: December 8, 2016 15:15

Seems that you're the only one with mixed emotions

Cause "Blue & Lonesome" is @#$%& great !!!
smoking smileyhot smiley
jeroen

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: December 8, 2016 15:17

Stoneage

...maybe other 2/3 guys all over the world! smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: December 8, 2016 15:48

stand out songs, so far Little rain,hoodoo man,just like i treat you,blue n lonesome,i gotta go,just your fool,coomit a crime.
jeroen

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: December 8, 2016 16:04

Stoneage

No, you're not.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: December 8, 2016 16:22

Little Rain, Hoodoo Blues and Blue & Lonesome. That's my top three. Holy hell I love it when the Stones do those slow blues numbers.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: December 8, 2016 16:32

I wonder why no one (as far as I oversee the discussions here) has any desire for a Soul covers album which could be much more fruitful than a collection of Reggae or Country covers. They've already proven countless times live and in the studio that they're masters of covering this genre, just in the same way they can handle Blues.

+1. Soul (covers or originals) > Blues. See: Mick at the Grammys a few years ago for the Solomon Burke tribute.

+1

1. Blues (B & L)

Wait. You left out the great american songbook tribute (Cole Porter, etc.) or do you think that Rod has that one covered sufficiently?

Date: December 8, 2016 16:55

Rokyfan

+1

1. Blues (B & L)

Wait. You left out the great american songbook tribute (Cole Porter, etc.) or do you think that Rod has that one covered sufficiently?

Why not make some great rock n' roll originals that other artists will want to cover......>grinning smiley<

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: December 8, 2016 17:36

I gave it my first spin last night and doing the reruns now. For the Stones I think it is a great effort. The music sounds phenomenal! But unfortunately, the singing is bad. Mick's voice comes off too upbeat, high pitched and nasal for the raspy blues that listeners have come to expect this stage. He sounds too English on this. I know he has struggled with pitch the last couple decades and it is blatantly obvious on this record that there is a clear delineation between the music and the singing.

Though the effort is valiant, and his harp work is spot on, his singing is fighting to coexist with some really tight guitar work. I know this is hard to say, but his singing lacks grit. Just listening to way he sings the word "baby" is grimacing, and the album is full of the use of the word "baby" which is a common blues chant. But that's my opinion. It is certainly a great listen and huge accomplishment for the Stones, though one has to wonder why they can't cover their own covers of early blues stuff live. Wouldn't that be cool.

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: December 8, 2016 17:42

The Sicilian
I gave it my first spin last night and doing the reruns now. For the Stones I think it is a great effort. The music sounds phenomenal! But unfortunately, the singing is bad. Mick's voice comes off too upbeat, high pitched and nasal for the raspy blues that listeners have come to expect this stage. He sounds too English on this. I know he has struggled with pitch the last couple decades and it is blatantly obvious on this record that there is a clear delineation between the music and the singing.

Though the effort is valiant, and his harp work is spot on, his singing is fighting to coexist with some really tight guitar work. I know this is hard to say, but his singing lacks grit. Just listening to way he sings the word "baby" is grimacing, and the album is full of the use of the word "baby" which is a common blues chant. But that's my opinion. It is certainly a great listen and huge accomplishment for the Stones, though one has to wonder why they can't cover their own covers of early blues stuff live. Wouldn't that be cool.

Wow, I seriously believe Mick's singing is absolutely great on this album!

Date: December 8, 2016 17:42

shortfatfanny

grinning smiley I didn't ask Kleermaker yet but I'm quite sure that just like me, he isn't impressed at all.

Date: December 8, 2016 17:43

The Sicilian

Mick Jagger's voice is the best on this!!! His singing is awsome, the best for decades.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-08 17:46 by 1962.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: December 8, 2016 17:50

Lorenz

I agree...Mick's voice is one of the best things about the album.

If I have a complaint so far (I'm listening to it for the first time right now), it's that the guitars sound too thin and reedy, which has been a common complaint for the past 20 years.

The guitars lack grit, not Mick's voice.

Date: December 8, 2016 17:59

once again, is that Keith playing lead at the end of All Of Your Love?

Posted by: Berry88 ()
Date: December 8, 2016 18:06

Yes, he is. Keith is in the right all over the album

Date: December 8, 2016 18:17

Thanks Berry88, I knew it had to be but Ronnie is deservedly so getting kudos but not much mention of Keith's playing.

Date: December 8, 2016 18:34

keefriff99

I agree...Mick's voice is one of the best things about the album.

If I have a complaint so far (I'm listening to it for the first time right now), it's that the guitars sound too thin and reedy, which has been a common complaint for the past 20 years.

The guitars lack grit, not Mick's voice.

LOL! It wasn't Lorenz who said that grinning smiley

The quoting function is fvcked up now, seemingly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-08 18:35 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: December 8, 2016 18:38

Whoever said it...I don't think the guitars sound thin & reedy at all.

They growl very nicely to my ears.

Posted by: laf848 ()
Date: December 8, 2016 18:44

IMO, This is a great Album. I have been playing this twice a day since released date.

Date: December 8, 2016 18:52

Spud
Whoever said it...I don't think the guitars sound thin & reedy at all.

They growl very nicely to my ears.

For this listener that statement is absurd.

Can the guitars sound more "meaty" and angry than on Ride 'Em On Down and Hoo Doo Blues? Not thin.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 8, 2016 18:55

Stoneage
matxil

No, you're not.

You are not alone...I give it a 2.5 out of 5. After the third listen, already started skipping/forwarding songs. It's not bad or horrible, it's just that it's covers that don't really add much imo, and I find the originals much more satisfying. As I anticipated, it's more of a novelty, almost like a cool bootleg of the band playing blues tunes at a rehearsal. It's definitely a step up pleasure-wise from their last album (and really all albums dating back to '81), and am happy so many others here and around the world seem to really like it. It's the Stones paying homage to the blues greats with covers, and spreading the 'gospel' in the process - glad they made it and glad it's successful! And congrats to the Stones for all the accolades they're getting from it - I predict several awards coming their way (Grammys, etc.). Based on the last 35 years of studio albums, I'd give them the 'Greatest Comeback' award if there was such a thing. I hope they continue to roll with whatever success and happiness that comes their way...even if that means retirement. They've provided me with so much happiness and so many great memories that life wouldn't have been the same without them - Thank You Stones!

By the way, found this video on my facebook newsfeed that someone posted. Other than 'British National Music Day' at the Hammersmith Odeon in 1992,
does anyone know anything about the circumstances of this? Was anybody from IORR there"
Mick Jagger & Gary Moore - Everybody Knows About My Good Thing

I used to like Gary Moore's album Still Got the Blues from 1990, although some of the guitar playing on it now sounds a bit bombastic (as is the case with the cover tune above).
He certainly was a guitar wiz that played many genres...it was a sad day when he passed away a few years ago.

edit: fixed original quotes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-08 19:00 by Hairball.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8182838485868788899091...LastNext
Current Page: 86 of 117

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1223
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home