Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8081828384858687888990...LastNext
Current Page: 85 of 117
Re: The Rolling Stones new blues album "Blue & Lonesome" due out Dec 2
Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: December 7, 2016 23:21

maumau
for the next lbum I hope they just mantain the "i dont give a shit" attitude that led them to put out a great record as b&l

no need more blues covers just keep that attitude whater is the material

thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: December 7, 2016 23:37

KRiffhard
LeonidP
... okay, so for the most part people seem pleased, it would be awesome, as far as I'm concerned, if they also did reggae & country covers albums - plus keith would surely sing at least a song or two on each.

A reggae album would be great!
how about a nice duets album?

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: December 7, 2016 23:43

I'm not so sure about the view that the Stones should continue releasing covers albums. The album is doing well no doubt, but I'm not sure further covers albums would meet with similar success, blues or otherwise.

Olly.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: December 7, 2016 23:47

Olly
I'm not so sure about the view that the Stones should continue releasing covers albums. The album is doing well no doubt, but I'm not sure further covers albums would meet with similar success, blues or otherwise.

It seems they did this without caring about 'success' and wanted to go back to their roots. Similarly, it would be great if they expressed the same for their love of the other genres which they've managed to express so well over the years.

Anyway it's been 10+ years since the last, so I'm certainly not holding my breath, I was just stating a 'wish list'.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 8, 2016 01:08

I mentioned a possible reggae covers album a few pages back but was half-joking....(well totally joking to be honest).
As has been mentioned, they don't really have enough 'history' with reggae in the same way they do with the blues, and the few reggae tunes they have done (covers or originals) don't quite hit the mark imo. Also, there probably just isn't enough demand to justify it as the popularity of reggae amongst the general masses is nowhere near that of the blues. Keith's recent cover of Love Overdue was nice, but I can't imagine a whole album of covers from the Stones. A country covers album might be a better option, but again I don't see it happening. If they don't complete an album of new originals, I could easily see a sequel to Blue and Lonesome given the welcome reception and success of this one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-08 01:20 by Hairball.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: December 8, 2016 01:18

Mick's vocals seem strong and spontaneous along with the entire vibe of this release. I'm afraid if they try to recreate this success with a similar release they will fall into the trap of overthinking the production and wind up losing
the spirit and feel of "Blue and Lonesome". The secret is probably the short session with everyone playing together live as a band without the insistence of
a perfect take. Honestly, I haven't read this entire thread so I apologize if this has already been stated.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: December 8, 2016 02:25

Really enjoying most of these posts. I have never enjoyed a harmonica more
than the way Mick excels on these songs.

This record must have been a great pleasure for them to make.

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: December 8, 2016 02:34

Mick has always been great harp player.

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: December 8, 2016 02:52

Holy Hell, this album is killer. I expected to like it, but I didn't expect to be surprised by it. I literally looked at the speaker during 'All Of Your Love' and yelled "goddamn" to myself. Mick sounds like he's 25 at times. There's moments that sound like 'Jamming With Edward' even. This collection is truly an inspiration.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: December 8, 2016 03:16

Hairball
I mentioned a possible reggae covers album a few pages back but was half-joking....(well totally joking to be honest).
As has been mentioned, they don't really have enough 'history' with reggae in the same way they do with the blues, and the few reggae tunes they have done (covers or originals) don't quite hit the mark imo. Also, there probably just isn't enough demand to justify it as the popularity of reggae amongst the general masses is nowhere near that of the blues. Keith's recent cover of Love Overdue was nice, but I can't imagine a whole album of covers from the Stones. A country covers album might be a better option, but again I don't see it happening. If they don't complete an album of new originals, I could easily see a sequel to Blue and Lonesome given the welcome reception and success of this one.

I wonder why noone (as far as I oversee the discussions here) has any desire for a Soul covers album which could be much more fruitful than a collection of Reggae or Country covers. They've already proven countless times live and in the studio that they're masters of covering this genre, just in the same way they can handle Blues.

Date: December 8, 2016 03:29

retired_dog
Hairball

I wonder why noone (as far as I oversee the discussions here) has any desire for a Soul covers album which could be much more fruitful than a collection of Reggae or Country covers. They've already proven countless times live and in the studio that they're masters of covering this genre, just in the same way they can handle Blues.

That would be a nice option.

howlingmad did mention on previous page:
"The best option would probably be a mix of original tunes combined with a few blues and soul covers - essentially making the kind of album that could've been released in the early 60s.".

Originals + soul, R&B, and blues covers...I could live with that. thumbs up

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: December 8, 2016 03:57

bitusa2012
3 deluxe sets for AUD47.18. GOOD GRIEF. How cheap is that, delivered to Australia!!

What IS odd about this, apart from the ridiculous pricing !, is that, for my original order for one of these deluxe box sets, Amazon, in the View Order and in confirmation emails, clearly showed the deluxe box set and it's contents in the picture of what I ordered. In this new order for 3 box sets, in both the View Order and confirmation email, just show a picture of the single CD cover.

Rod

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: December 8, 2016 03:59

retired_dog

I wonder why no one (as far as I oversee the discussions here) has any desire for a Soul covers album which could be much more fruitful than a collection of Reggae or Country covers. They've already proven countless times live and in the studio that they're masters of covering this genre, just in the same way they can handle Blues.

+1. Soul (covers or originals) > Blues. See: Mick at the Grammys a few years ago for the Solomon Burke tribute.

Posted by: mpj200 ()
Date: December 8, 2016 04:36

GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
resotele
Back to the music.

Mick Jagger is not mentionned playing guitar on the twelve songs, Yet he is seen playing guitar on different photos (artprint, book, digipack ...). Has anybody spotted his guitar in the music, have his guitar tracks been removed ? Or are the photos not from the sessions for Blue & Lonesome ?

I can't read all 83 pages on Blue & Lonesome, so pardon me if this question has been discussed before.

resotele

We're still going a bit back and forth about whether there is an acoustic guitar (center-left) on Commit A Crime - or if it's percussion that we're hearing.

Sounds like an acoustic to me.

Everytime I think that, I start wonder whether it is Charlie or Jim Keltner doing something smiling smiley It's only there in bits, and strategically placed, too.

It might very well be an acoustic (with which nobody is credited, though).

There are just a couple of gaps where it's the most audible. It does sound like an acoustic guitar being essentially hand muted. Keltner is credited only on Hoo Doo Blues.

The band says the only overdubs were a little percussion and piano. And that all the songs were cut in one or two takes. So here are the possibilities. 1) there is no acoustic guitar. 2) someone picked an acoustic up during the take (everyone in the room can play guitar) or 3) Don Was played it in post production as uncredited.

Edit: Also I think the some of the photos mentioned above are from pre-production in a different studio.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-08 04:44 by mpj200.

Date: December 8, 2016 04:50

bitusa2012
bitusa2012
3 deluxe sets for AUD47.18. GOOD GRIEF. How cheap is that, delivered to Australia!!

What IS odd about this, apart from the ridiculous pricing !, is that, for my original order for one of these deluxe box sets, Amazon, in the View Order and in confirmation emails, clearly showed the deluxe box set and it's contents in the picture of what I ordered. In this new order for 3 box sets, in both the View Order and confirmation email, just show a picture of the single CD cover.

Interesting.
Just looked at my email confirmation, and it shows a pic of the Deluxe edition:

But when I click on email for order details, it does only show the cd cover. Then when when I click on the product link it takes me to the page I ordered it from, but also with just the cd cover: Blue and Lonesome

When I scroll down towards bottom of page below 'Product Description', it says:

From the Manufacturer

Blue & Lonesome Deluxe box set

Deluxe edition including CD album, 75 page mini-book about the making of the album and band postcard prints.

So....I believe we'll be getting the deluxe...otherwise we've been scammed!

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: December 8, 2016 04:59

I for one would love a cover of country western songs in the genre of You Win Again, Bob Wills is Still the King etc! I really only like country music when rock 'n' roll guys play it

Date: December 8, 2016 05:00

Wasn't Wyman on Sex Drive and Highwire?

Date: December 8, 2016 05:03

Post deleted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-08 05:04 by donvis.

Date: December 8, 2016 05:11

mpj200
GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
resotele
Back to the music.

Mick Jagger is not mentionned playing guitar on the twelve songs, Yet he is seen playing guitar on different photos (artprint, book, digipack ...). Has anybody spotted his guitar in the music, have his guitar tracks been removed ? Or are the photos not from the sessions for Blue & Lonesome ?

I can't read all 83 pages on Blue & Lonesome, so pardon me if this question has been discussed before.

resotele

We're still going a bit back and forth about whether there is an acoustic guitar (center-left) on Commit A Crime - or if it's percussion that we're hearing.

Everytime I think that, I start wonder whether it is Charlie or Jim Keltner doing something smiling smiley It's only there in bits, and strategically placed, too.

There are just a couple of gaps where it's the most audible. It does sound like an acoustic guitar being essentially hand muted. Keltner is credited only on Hoo Doo Blues.

The band says the only overdubs were a little percussion and piano. And that all the songs were cut in one or two takes. So here are the possibilities. 1) there is no acoustic guitar. 2) someone picked an acoustic up during the take (everyone in the room can play guitar) or 3) Don Was played it in post production as uncredited.

Edit: Also I think the some of the photos mentioned above are from pre-production in a different studio.

As for possibilty #3 - If Don Was played it post-production uncredited, wondering if band were aware of that?
If it's hardly audible, what would be the point of him doing so? Maybe a sneaky trademark of his hidden within the grooves so he can tell his grandkids some day?
Is it common practice amongst producers to slip in something like that?

Apologies for all the questions! smiling smiley

ps - Does Charlie play guitar?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-08 05:12 by Hairball.

Posted by: howlingmad ()
Date: December 8, 2016 05:59

Hairball
A country covers album might be a better option, but again I don't see it happening. If they don't complete an album of new originals, I could easily see a sequel to Blue and Lonesome given the welcome reception and success of this one.

Yes, I'm not really sure there's going to be a big demand for the Stones to branch out into covering other genres. Rod Stewart already tried doing that with a pair of rock and soul cover albums and failed to achieve the same level of commercial success as he had with the Songbook series.

The natural tendency on the part of the label is going to be to release a Blue And Lonesome 2, as there's clearly a winning formula here. One way to shake things up might be for the band to explore other styles of blues such as Delta, Memphis, etc. That could allow them to inject their own diverse influences from country, soul, and reggae without having to try and put it into a clearly defined category. (Much like they did with Exile and their best works.) It would also be a good way to showcase more of Keith's acoustic and fingerpicking chops and help the album avoid feeling like a rehash.

I still have a hard time imagining Mick being too enthused about the idea of making cover albums, though. He's gone out of his way to downplay this current project and portray it as something of a fluke, perhaps in the event it had tanked in the charts. I guess it will all depend on how pleased he is with this album's surprising success. Is this the kind of sales he's been chasing for years, or does a #1 only matter to him if it comes via the pop charts?

Also, in terms of legacy, would Mick view doubling down on a cover album as appearing creatively bankrupt or merely providing a showcase of the band's strengths ala Johnny Cash's American Recordings? I really don't know how he'll react. However, the degree to which this album is selling must surely have an effect on him. If nothing else, perhaps he will be more open to the idea of including cover songs alongside the new original material, provided he can find a way to make it all tie together in a way that complements the whole?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-08 06:03 by howlingmad.

Date: December 8, 2016 06:06

Hairball
mpj200
GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
resotele
Back to the music.

resotele

As for possibilty #3 - If Don Was played it post-production uncredited, wondering if band were aware of that?
If it's hardly audible, what would be the point of him doing so? Maybe a sneaky trademark of his hidden within the grooves so he can tell his grandkids some day?

If it was Don, Mick would know. Acoustic is placed on many rock (and blues) records for texture behind the electric. On rock records, mant times it can't be heard at all. And yes, it's normally very common for producers to add things, but on a Stones record not so much. But since this was cut live, it's possible it was added in post production. I haven't heard it personally, but I haven't listened much with headphones either.

And I can't say for sure that Charlie plays guitar, but most of the band can play all the basic instruments to a degree. As I said I haven't heard it, but if it's there, it's possible Matt could have played it. If it's just used for texture, anyone could have and it not be credited.

I prefer to just take the band at it's word and enjoy it. I'm not trying to over anyalize it. It looks like it's going to be their highest debut on the U.K. Charts. Quite an amazing feat at this stage of the band's career.

Date: December 8, 2016 06:44

mpj200
Hairball
mpj200
GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
resotele
Back to the music.

resotele

If it was Don, Mick would know. Acoustic is placed on many rock (and blues) records for texture behind the electric. On rock records, mant times it can't be heard at all. And yes, it's normally very common for producers to add things, but on a Stones record not so much. But since this was cut live, it's possible it was added in post production. I haven't heard it personally, but I haven't listened much with headphones either.

And I can't say for sure that Charlie plays guitar, but most of the band can play all the basic instruments to a degree. As I said I haven't heard it, but if it's there, it's possible Matt could have played it. If it's just used for texture, anyone could have and it not be credited.

I prefer to just take the band at it's word and enjoy it. I'm not trying to over anyalize it. It looks like it's going to be their highest debut on the U.K. Charts. Quite an amazing feat at this stage of the band's career.

Thanks for the in depth reply. thumbs up
I was just being curious sort of like 'Curious George' would be, and over-analyzing the intricacies of who played what, where, why, and when is not really one of my strengths or interests. With that said, there's alot people here who indeed like to analyze (or over-analyze) things, and there's alot of interesting stuff to be learned from them - after all, it is a discussion board about the Rolling Stones. And yes indeed, it's quite an amazing feat for the Stones at this stage of their career! And if Charlie plays guitar, I'm betting he can play it as well as he dresses! winking smiley

Posted by: rusty ()
Date: December 8, 2016 08:16

LeonidP
... okay, so for the most part people seem pleased, it would be awesome, as far as I'm concerned, if they also did reggae & country covers albums - plus keith would surely sing at least a song or two on each.

Mabey BL is so successful because NO Keith songs.Not all Fans love it.

Date: December 8, 2016 08:27

rusty
LeonidP

Mabey BL is so successful because NO Keith songs.Not all Fans love it.

There is also NO Mick guitar songs on itsmiling smiley

Date: December 8, 2016 08:46

bitusa2012
bitusa2012

My order showed the Deluxe-set.

Date: December 8, 2016 10:37

mpj200
GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
resotele
Back to the music.

resotele

Something does seem to kick the song into next gear after one of the highlights of the album IMO; Jagger starts to blow, and it's already fantastic. Charlie starts bashing on that cymbal; sort of like YCAGWYW ending; then Jagger starts singing again, and there is another gear added.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: December 8, 2016 11:38

Olly

The only cover album I would applaud is if they'd do something outrageous, like an ABBA cover album or a Virgin Prunes cover album, or - a bit closer to home - a Captain Beefheart cover album. It would be an invitation to disaster, but at least it would mean doing something wildly crazy for once.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: December 8, 2016 12:51

swimtothemoon
...the spirit and feel of "Blue and Lonesome". The secret is probably the short session with everyone playing together live as a band without the insistence of a perfect take. ..quote]

Good point...and maybe a lesson to be learned from that when work on the new stuff resumes.

I'm quite hopeful .

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: December 8, 2016 13:09

DeanGoodman
retired_dog

I wonder why no one (as far as I oversee the discussions here) has any desire for a Soul covers album which could be much more fruitful than a collection of Reggae or Country covers. They've already proven countless times live and in the studio that they're masters of covering this genre, just in the same way they can handle Blues.

+1. Soul (covers or originals) > Blues. See: Mick at the Grammys a few years ago for the Solomon Burke tribute.

+1
The Stones could do a trilogy. They have Blue & Lonesome now. Add an album of
Old rock n roll covers and an album of soul and reggae.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Berry88 ()
Date: December 8, 2016 13:24

Maybe not an only blues covers album, but an album with old school rock'n roll songs, rythmn & blues songs, some country and some blues again, with the kind of sound, simplicity and honesty of this album. That would be great, an I would pay for it again!

If the new an original material it's not like this stuff, I rather prefer that kind of album thumbs up

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8081828384858687888990...LastNext
Current Page: 85 of 117

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1805
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home