Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6869707172737475767778...LastNext
Current Page: 73 of 117
Re: The Rolling Stones new blues album "Blue & Lonesome" due out Dec 2
Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: December 3, 2016 23:35

The EPK on Amazon Front Row has the band lip synching and playing along to the first two singles. Fun, but fairly obvious it isn't a live in the studio performance. Both Ahmet Ertegun and Rick Rubin pushed for Mick to do a blues album for Atlantic in the early 1990s. It nearly became an archival release from Rhino Records in 2008 had THE VERY BEST OF MICK JAGGER actually sold well. Instead we have this album. A nice set up for a new comeback album next year ("rediscovering their roots allowed Jagger and Richards to craft the best Stones album since SOME GIRLS" ), a nice tie in with TOTALLY STRIPPED since the original version of that record was their earlier attempt to get back to the basics and reconnect with their past, and remember your scripts, everyone, it was all spontaneous!

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: December 4, 2016 00:28

bleedingman
This CD is the definitive answer to the question "Can a blue man sing the whites?" Is this authentic "black" blues? Nope. Is it for purists? Nope. It's "white" through and through. It pays homage to the black roots but reinterprets it, all to the good.

The fact that the Stones are not the oppressed men who lived in pain and so communicated it in their music does not disqualify them from expressing their own pain. Yes, they are millionaires and money can be a comforting thing. But let's face it, they've all had their share of pain recently. Charlie has survived cancer; Mick has survived the sudden and tragic loss of his long-time partner, Keith has had brain surgery, Ronnie has hit rock bottom, divorced Jo, gotten sober, etc.

In my opinion, Mick is the star here. He does not phone it in and he really extends himself in every phrase and vocal fluctuation. This is not a pastiche by any means.

It was most fortuitous that Mr. Clapton was in the vicinity. He fits in perfectly.

And so I add yet more songs to my "Stones Blues" playlist. Who's driving my plane? The Stones.
the blues is pain, suffering, no matter if you're a rich billionaire, even billionaires are suffering. We can not know what Mick suffers, but he is a person like everyone else.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: December 4, 2016 01:13

Hairball I think you're going to likey B & L in the bbq CA sunshine today.
I've listened to it outside iTunes (waiting on my CD!)
and there is shore to be some gold in there for ya...
there is for me, I've got 3-4 favs, luvin' it...

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: December 4, 2016 01:17

My only gripe--I had thought the vinyl album came with a download card, which it didn't (I bought it via Amazon, and it's my own fault because I now see it doesn't mention a download card). Apart from that, I'm very happy, it improves with each listen! smiling smiley

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: December 4, 2016 01:20

powerage78
Little Rain = masterpiece.

Nowhere near masterpiece but i like it. On a 2/5 album it is a 3.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: December 4, 2016 01:29

Hundred of fans on queue yesterday in London to get the album:

[www.youtube.com]

eye popping smiley

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: December 4, 2016 01:36

georgelicks
Hundred of fans on queue yesterday in London to get the album:

[www.youtube.com]

eye popping smiley

It was a special event at Sounds of The Universe, the record shop in London in which building the Bricklayers Arms pub was located in the 60s.

Posted by: Idorh ()
Date: December 4, 2016 02:07

Testify
bleedingman
This CD is the definitive answer to the question "Can a blue man sing the whites?" Is this authentic "black" blues? Nope. Is it for purists? Nope. It's "white" through and through. It pays homage to the black roots but reinterprets it, all to the good.

The fact that the Stones are not the oppressed men who lived in pain and so communicated it in their music does not disqualify them from expressing their own pain. Yes, they are millionaires and money can be a comforting thing. But let's face it, they've all had their share of pain recently. Charlie has survived cancer; Mick has survived the sudden and tragic loss of his long-time partner, Keith has had brain surgery, Ronnie has hit rock bottom, divorced Jo, gotten sober, etc.

In my opinion, Mick is the star here. He does not phone it in and he really extends himself in every phrase and vocal fluctuation. This is not a pastiche by any means.

It was most fortuitous that Mr. Clapton was in the vicinity. He fits in perfectly.

And so I add yet more songs to my "Stones Blues" playlist. Who's driving my plane? The Stones.
the blues is pain, suffering, no matter if you're a rich billionaire, even billionaires are suffering. We can not know what Mick suffers, but he is a person like everyone else.
thumbs up

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: December 4, 2016 02:11

video: [youtu.be]

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: December 4, 2016 02:24

Redhotcarpet
Nowhere near masterpiece but i like it. On a 2/5 album it is a 3.
Which album was that.. the original? Because I KNOW you're not talking' ab....spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: December 4, 2016 02:53

Idorh
Testify
bleedingman

thumbs up

drinking smiley

Not forgetting the Glimmer Twins were born during World War II (in a Crossfire Hurricane) and Bill, Charlie, STU and Brian were toddlers during war time.

Posted by: mpj200 ()
Date: December 4, 2016 03:19

powerage78
The band said there were no guitars overdubs.

Just a little piano and percussion. The band did all the songs in one or two takes. They did have some pre production prior to going in. This was filmed and used in some of the pre-release promotional videos.

To those complaining, perhaps a little perspective is in order. At this point in their career it's a brilliant record. Enjoy it. Their is no guarantee that this won't be their final album. Maybe they will get together and work on those originals a bit more....maybe they won't. Who knows? They don't even know at this point. If you're a fan, be thankful for this record. Or enjoy the older ones.

Complaining about a record from a band whose average age is over 70 is a bit silly.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 4, 2016 03:47

"I'll stand by my 2.5 out of 5 rating. But I'll put that behind for now and listen to the cd with more of an open mind which won't be easy with images of the original blues masters in my head".

It was impossible, and it's impossible not to compare - the originals are ingrained. While listening to the Stones covering Commit a Crime earlier at my studio, the gigantic ghost of Howlin' Wolf appeared before me hovering above the stereo and staring me down. eye popping smiley The band sounds good on this, but Micks vocals can't compare to the gnarly beastly growling roar of Howlin' Wolf. Perhaps if I was totally unfamiliar with the originals I'd be more open to this, but as it stands it's a novelty album of Stones doing the Blues - some tunes are a bit better than others. Micks harmonica playing is superb throughout, and would have really liked to hear some instrumental extended blues jams.

For the record - this is not a complaint, just an observation on a Rolling Stones message board. Thankful and grateful the Stones put out a new album!!!thumbs up
And if this is the last album they put out, then I'd say they went out with a bang - paying their respects to those that came before, and inspiring many to seek out the real deal in the process. Quite a noble effort in that sense.

Would love to see the Stones play all of these in a small theater or club intertwined with some of of their original blues inspired tunes and other covers.

Posted by: KingmanBarstow ()
Date: December 4, 2016 04:14

Grrrrrrrr. I am still waiting to be notified of a delivery date for my pre-ordered box set. Glad you guys have had a chance to get a listen to the album and a thumbs up for the number of good reviews.

Posted by: Stones32 ()
Date: December 4, 2016 04:52

The title track is so fire I just assumed it was Clapton playing...love that's it's the ancient art of weaving/noodling with Keith and Ronnie! Damn thats the best track on there.

Posted by: 751st ()
Date: December 4, 2016 05:25

I love the dirty mix, sort of like that muddy Exile mix. My only complaint is I think Micks vocals should have been brought up in the mix. Stones as they should be.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 4, 2016 05:32

lem motlow
no offense gaslight but anyone who doesn't think an actual bluesman singing and playing,especially robert johnson,is better than a band of english rockstars copying him has something wrong with THEM.

no one,the stones or anyone else will ever come close to the original blues music.what mick said was EXACTLY RIGHT-it's stupid to think copying would ever be better than the original,the reason mick says this is because he has a deep understanding of the music itself.if you ever told keith richards or eric clapton they were better blues players than robert johnson they would laugh at you.

There are/were some blues men who were terrible. Robert Johnson was awesome. What the Stones did with his songs are fantastic - and yeah yeah yeah, totally different. Doesn't change the fact that what they did is great.

Posted by: sarahunwin ()
Date: December 4, 2016 06:22

SomeTorontoGirl
Cristiano Radtke
Some longer interviews with Keith, Mick, Charlie and Ronnie on a japanese website:

Keith

Mick

Charlie

Ronnie

Lovely interviews, all! Many thanks Christiano. Now... back to listening to Blue and Lonesome - what a great gift it is.

Great interviews - thanks for posting!

Posted by: Socrates1 ()
Date: December 4, 2016 06:30

I always forget about iTunes. I can buy the cd too. This is great so far. This is just what I needed. Thank you, Stones. This is living up to the internet hype. Best Stones I've heard since I played them live on youtube. I won't stop listening to this for a while. Excellent job, Stones!

Posted by: TheBadRabbit ()
Date: December 4, 2016 06:46

I'd like to see them do a couple of songs from B&L on Saturday Night Live.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: December 4, 2016 06:54

GasLightStreet
lem motlow
no offense gaslight but anyone who doesn't think an actual bluesman singing and playing,especially robert johnson,is better than a band of english rockstars copying him has something wrong with THEM.

no one,the stones or anyone else will ever come close to the original blues music.what mick said was EXACTLY RIGHT-it's stupid to think copying would ever be better than the original,the reason mick says this is because he has a deep understanding of the music itself.if you ever told keith richards or eric clapton they were better blues players than robert johnson they would laugh at you.

There are/were some blues men who were terrible. Robert Johnson was awesome. What the Stones did with his songs are fantastic - and yeah yeah yeah, totally different. Doesn't change the fact that what they did is great.

What makes someone an "actual bluesman"? Does he have to be old? Black? American? Poor? Because I'd dispute any and all of those.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 4, 2016 07:10

TheBadRabbit
I'd like to see them do a couple of songs from B&L on Saturday Night Live.

I was thinking the same thing, and hope it somehow happens. thumbs up

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: December 4, 2016 07:20

What I'm really loving about these discussions on this new record is that it seems the blues is making a new comeback to a younger generation, which makes me think about the first time I got to know the blues.

When I was a 15-year old kid (more than 20 years ago) I didn't know or haven't heard anything about the blues until I watched a documentary called "Blues - Pain created to heal pain" and that really changed my life.

Posted by: gipsy12 ()
Date: December 4, 2016 09:26

KingmanBarstow
Grrrrrrrr. I am still waiting to be notified of a delivery date for my pre-ordered box set. Glad you guys have had a chance to get a listen to the album and a thumbs up for the number of good reviews.

I am still waiting too, I will get it from jpc Germany

Date: December 4, 2016 10:14

There's a wistful quality about the music, like it's all built around ancient chanting.

Date: December 4, 2016 10:33

mpj200
powerage78

Just a little piano and percussion. The band did all the songs in one or two takes. They did have some pre production prior to going in. This was filmed and used in some of the pre-release promotional videos.

To those complaining, perhaps a little perspective is in order. At this point in their career it's a brilliant record. Enjoy it. Their is no guarantee that this won't be their final album. Maybe they will get together and work on those originals a bit more....maybe they won't. Who knows? They don't even know at this point. If you're a fan, be thankful for this record. Or enjoy the older ones.

Complaining about a record from a band whose average age is over 70 is a bit silly.

+ Clapton's guitars on two tracks. Some say they hear an acoustic guitar on EKAMGT as well. I'm not sure..

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 4, 2016 10:43

imagine giving Blue & Lonesome album to someone as a gift
and they threw it in the bin before listening .... What would you honestly think ??????????????????

ROCKMAN

Date: December 4, 2016 10:45

That they're never getting another gift from me ever again.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: December 4, 2016 10:46

Cristiano Radtke
What I'm really loving about these discussions on this new record is that it seems the blues is making a new comeback to a younger generation, which makes me think about the first time I got to know the blues.

When I was a 15-year old kid (more than 20 years ago) I didn't know or haven't heard anything about the blues until I watched a documentary called "Blues - Pain created to heal pain" and that really changed my life.

In that case I'd recommend Bill Wyman's Blues Odyssey series.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: December 4, 2016 10:56

mpj200
powerage78

Completely agree
thumbs up

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6869707172737475767778...LastNext
Current Page: 73 of 117

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1221
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home