Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6768697071727374757677...LastNext
Current Page: 72 of 117
Re: The Rolling Stones new blues album "Blue & Lonesome" due out Dec 2
Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: December 3, 2016 18:40

Cristiano Radtke
There's some nice - although short - footage from the Stones in studio here: [www.amazon.co.uk]

Brilliant stuff, thanks!

A lot of people noticed a change, a thaw, in Mick and Keith's relationship on stage last year, and I definitely noticed it in Vegas - more interaction and more joy. Did recording this album last December do it? Pare things down to basics, take them back 50+ years? Whatever - it works for me. I'm a Keith Chick thru and thru (!) but Mick's vocals on this are so great, the songs really suit his range and he is so strong, he really shines. And his harp - yeah, baby! Going to have to play it again...

Date: December 3, 2016 18:42

Just like I treat you - nice fast number! smiling smiley
And here distortion is subtle and OK.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 3, 2016 18:44

Irix
Review from Germany's musikexpress - 4 out of 6 stars:

"Die Rolling Stones zollen mit einem Cover-Album ihren (Rhythm’n’)Blues-Helden Tribut.

Translation via Google Translate

"The overall concept is merely obscured by the artwork: the xth, pseudo-modern variant of the Stones tongue - in blue, most understandable? - this time especially ugly".

Oh boy, here we go again back to criticizing the album cover. winking smiley
I've come to accept it for what it is - although lacking creativity, it is simple and blue is a favorite color of mine.
And it is kind of cool to see blue tongues all over the place - hoping for a blue tongue on black t-shirt. thumbs up

I'm done critiquing the album as a concept - blues covers it is, and it is what it is. There's no use in continuously harping on (pun intended) about how the originals are better (which they definitely are imo), and I'll stand by my 2.5 out of 5 rating. But I'll put that behind for now and listen to the cd with more of an open mind which won't be easy with images of the original blues masters in my head. Having an open studio/bbq/party today, and will keep the cd on repeat (mixed in with some of the opriginals of course). I'm sure it will be a great soundtrack for visitors and friends, and after absorbing more of it in that type of atmosphere (rather than analyzing it alone), maybe I'll be able to up the rating notch to a 3 out of 5. Bottom line, thankful they gave us a new album that most everybody is excited about, and hopefully the process of recording and releasing these blues gems will carry over when and if they decide to record any new originals.

Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: December 3, 2016 19:16

Hello,

As per, I'm a bit late to the party but I love this album so far...I'd better 'fess up that this is the first Stones album that I've bought since 'Stripped': yeah, I know...I should leave my IORR card at the door, hah-hah!

We want more of this gear!

Cheers,

Simon.

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: December 3, 2016 19:29

I've listened several times now and think this is an outstanding release and is going to do far better on the charts then many folks here seem to think. Great recording with gritty, passionate playing and singing that comes through to the listener. It's a very engaging record, you can hear the different styles within the genre on various cuts and thus the album does not get boring at all. A really great record through and through!

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: December 3, 2016 19:33

And no overdubs at all off course

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: December 3, 2016 19:53

just bought Magic Sam's "West Side Soul" record to keep on rollin' smiling smiley smileys with beer

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: December 3, 2016 20:00

powerage78

And no overdubs at all off course

There're at least overdubs by Chuck Leavell:

"So I went to New Orleans with Don Was, the producer, and worked in a really great studio, The Parlor, with a fantastic upright piano. [...] I overdubbed my parts in six hours and today [Dec. 2] is the actual release date, and we’re really excited." -- [iorr.org].

Date: December 3, 2016 20:06

Guitars overdubs.

Date: December 3, 2016 20:10

Why shouldn't there be overdubs on a studio album?

Date: December 3, 2016 20:14

The band said there were no guitars overdubs.

Date: December 3, 2016 20:21

It's getting stale, powerage.

Maybe find a new band?

Posted by: Hansman ()
Date: December 3, 2016 20:31

Blueranger
This album will be a footnote.
It's not a great release.
Sorry.

Any RS album since Tattoo You is not much more than a footnote. The days when they wrote rock history with a new release is long long gone. Who in the world cares for albums like Undercover, DW, Steel Wheels, Voodoo Lounge, BTB, ABB...all these releases were never relevant and are long forgotten and really nobody gives a flying eff about them anymore.

Date: December 3, 2016 20:47

Hansman
Blueranger
Sorry.

Any RS album since Tattoo You is not much more than a footnote. The days when they wrote rock history with a new release is long long gone. Who in the world cares for albums like Undercover, DW, Steel Wheels, Voodoo Lounge, BTB, ABB...all these releases were never relevant and are long forgotten and really nobody gives a flying eff about them anymore.

Oh,no ... not this again.

Dirty Work is weak. Undercover has some weak songs, the same with ABB and Steel Wheels.

But the rest is above the bar that can be judged like this. It is only rock n roll, blues etc. But for sure great music made with passion and experience. You might dislike it, but you should not put it down.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: December 3, 2016 21:02

Hansman
Blueranger
Sorry.

I do. cool smiley

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: December 3, 2016 21:15

Cristiano Radtke
Hansman
Blueranger
Sorry.
.all these releases were never relevant and are long forgotten and really nobody gives a flying eff about them anymore.

I do. cool smiley

thumbs up

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 3, 2016 21:19

There's some nice - although short - footage from the Stones in studio here: [www.amazon.co.uk]

Good interview with them all .... Praise of Charlie's drumming and who
he's drumming for .... Mick overdubbed all the vocals on first album!!!!!... Keef's T and
Keef's comment -- "LETS MAKE A BLUZ ALBUM" ..hhhhhaaaaaaaaaa .... Oh and YEAH nice shirt Ronnie .....

ROCKMAN

Date: December 3, 2016 21:30

Cristiano Radtke
Hansman
Blueranger
Sorry.

I do. cool smiley

Me too.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: December 3, 2016 21:33

Hairball
Irix
Review from Germany's musikexpress - 4 out of 6 stars:

"Die Rolling Stones zollen mit einem Cover-Album ihren (Rhythm’n’)Blues-Helden Tribut.

Translation via Google Translate

"The overall concept is merely obscured by the artwork: the xth, pseudo-modern variant of the Stones tongue - in blue, most understandable? - this time especially ugly".

Oh boy, here we go again back to criticizing the album cover. winking smiley
I've come to accept it for what it is - although lacking creativity, it is simple and blue is a favorite color of mine.
And it is kind of cool to see blue tongues all over the place - hoping for a blue tongue on black t-shirt. thumbs up

The album cover is fine for me, but what's up with the inner sleeve? It's just a plain white piece of paper! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: Hansman ()
Date: December 3, 2016 21:37

DandelionPowderman
Cristiano Radtke
Hansman
Blueranger
Sorry.

I do. cool smiley

Me too.

Don't get me wrong. There is some good stuff on all of these albums, even on Dirty Work. But none of these albums have any impact. They are more or less forgotten. Now think about BB, LIB, SF, EOMS...these are rock and roll milestones. You can't say that about any RS album from the 80s, 90s, 00's...

Date: December 3, 2016 21:41

Voodoo Lounge had good impact. Undercover also in the sense of more modern style. Some songs from Bridges to Babylon also.

Just to add up - Everybody Knows about my good thing has completely OK sound.

Date: December 3, 2016 22:18

On the other hand Hoo Doo Girl is unnecessarily distorted .... I think the usage of distortion is a very bad production decision on this album sad smiley, otherwise very good one ....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-03 22:21 by jumpingjackflash5.

Posted by: JohnnyBGoode ()
Date: December 3, 2016 22:20

maumau
just bought Magic Sam's "West Side Soul" record to keep on rollin' smiling smiley smileys with beer

As did I and some Little Walter. Hot damn!

Posted by: JohnnyBGoode ()
Date: December 3, 2016 22:45

Also, just bought some stuff from [www.bluescentric.com], it's going to be a Blue Christmas!

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: December 3, 2016 22:45

Blue & Lonesome is expected to sell 90-100k in the US during the first week, it will chart at #3 or #4 in the Billboard 200 behind of Hamilton Mix Tape (190-200k) and The Weeknd (150k).
There are other albums selling around 85-95k too as Childish Gambino and Pentatonic's Christmas album, so the album could be #3 at best or #5 at worst.

Posted by: howlingmad ()
Date: December 3, 2016 23:03

To me it's like an entire album of Tallahassee Lassie...that sort of loose, sloppy, primal energy that just makes you feel like you gotta f***, fight, or do anything you want. It wouldn't surprise me if this ends up being a sleeper hit as it basically distills everything that's cool about the Stones into just over 40 minutes.

At this point saying it's the band's best release since Tattoo You or Some Girls has lost all meaning but it very well might be their purest album since Exile. If there's something calculated here I can't find it and I'm really blown away by just how good Mick is. His performance at times evokes everything from mid-60s rockers (I Gotta Go) to Exile cool (Hate To See You Go) to Black And Blue mellow (All Of Your Love).

Even my one big complaint with all new releases- brickwalling- doesn't seem to apply here as much as I feared. It sounds like someone just set up a mic while the band played a muddy, sweaty set in a small club and the album is all the better for it as a result.

Seriously, if you can't get off from this one then I don't know what to tell you. It's over and nothing the band does from this point on is likely going to bring it back for you.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: December 3, 2016 23:07

One odd thing has happened with Blue & Lonesome, which doesn't normally happen with recent Stones studio albums, be they band or solo, and that is that I haven't skipped any of the tracks.

You can skip a few tracks on the recent albums, i.e from Steel Wheels to Bigger Bang. Furthermore, you can skip some on Dirty Work, Undercover, Tattoo You, Emotional Rescue, Some Girls, Black & Blue, IORR, but you cannot on the new album. That's some going.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: December 3, 2016 23:11

This CD is the definitive answer to the question "Can a blue man sing the whites?" Is this authentic "black" blues? Nope. Is it for purists? Nope. It's "white" through and through. It pays homage to the black roots but reinterprets it, all to the good.

The fact that the Stones are not the oppressed men who lived in pain and so communicated it in their music does not disqualify them from expressing their own pain. Yes, they are millionaires and money can be a comforting thing. But let's face it, they've all had their share of pain recently. Charlie has survived cancer; Mick has survived the sudden and tragic loss of his long-time partner, Keith has had brain surgery, Ronnie has hit rock bottom, divorced Jo, gotten sober, etc.

In my opinion, Mick is the star here. He does not phone it in and he really extends himself in every phrase and vocal fluctuation. This is not a pastiche by any means.

It was most fortuitous that Mr. Clapton was in the vicinity. He fits in perfectly.

And so I add yet more songs to my "Stones Blues" playlist. Who's driving my plane? The Stones.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-03 23:24 by bleedingman.

Posted by: howlingmad ()
Date: December 3, 2016 23:20

tomcasagranda
One odd thing has happened with Blue & Lonesome, which doesn't normally happen with recent Stones studio albums, be they band or solo, and that is that I haven't skipped any of the tracks.

Yeah, I feel like all the tracks have the same energy, which means it doesn't really matter which one happens to be playing. I may intend to play a certain track but if a different one comes one I'm okay with that too.

The other thing about this album is that it feels complete. I don't need for there to be any bonus tracks, outtakes, or anything else to try and pad or extend the experience. If it came out in the 70s it would be considered a classic. If it remained unreleased it would be one of those mythical bootlegs that everyone reveres.

Date: December 3, 2016 23:24

But still the distortion especially on last 4 tracks is very bad sad smiley

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6768697071727374757677...LastNext
Current Page: 72 of 117

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2279
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home