Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6263646566676869707172...LastNext
Current Page: 67 of 117
Re: The Rolling Stones new blues album "Blue & Lonesome" due out Dec 2
Posted by: Hansman ()
Date: December 2, 2016 16:47

I'd rather see The Rolling Stones to appear in a Rolling Stones video than Kristen Stewart.

Posted by: laf848 ()
Date: December 2, 2016 16:56

I think the Video is great and I love it !!

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: December 2, 2016 16:56

DandelionPowderman
drewmaster
peoplewitheyes
I'm not trying to spread bad vibes! I really like All Of Your Love, and as i said, the sound/feel is great. But i guess i like more than three chords (or at least three different chords, or in a different order) in my music... Not digging the blues doesn't preclude me from loving the Rolling Stones. I love how they took so many of those blues sounds/ideas/feels and took them into new dimensions. Which i dont hear on all these covers.

But that's enough from me. Everyone else, roll a fat one and enjoy it!!

+1

I might add that, of all the tracks, All Of Your Love is IMO the one that breathes the most, the one that builds tension up slowly and then provides sweet, sweet release ...

Drew

Add Little Rain to that list.

Agreed. That is my second favorite!!

Drew

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: December 2, 2016 17:14

There's some nice - although short - footage from the Stones in studio here: [www.amazon.co.uk]

Posted by: rockerparis ()
Date: December 2, 2016 17:20

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: December 2, 2016 17:21

[www.google.com]

David Fricke's Rolling Stone review.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: December 2, 2016 17:33

Cristiano Radtke
There's some nice - although short - footage from the Stones in studio here: [www.amazon.co.uk]

grea, thanks Cristiano. just great.
Thanks
jeroen

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: December 2, 2016 17:35

Hansman
I'd rather see The Rolling Stones to appear in a Rolling Stones video than Kristen Stewart.

Oh, Come On Hansman. What's wrong with your eyes? She looks a lot better than the Stones smiling smiley

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: NedKellyBandit ()
Date: December 2, 2016 17:36

I'm listening to the Vinyl now. Great Album. To my ears the vinyl has more bass than the CD. It seems to be a diffrent mix.

Posted by: gibsonman ()
Date: December 2, 2016 17:44

Great album. Nuff said... smileys with beer

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: December 2, 2016 17:49

corriecas
Cristiano Radtke

grea, thanks Cristiano. just great.
Thanks
jeroen
Indeed..
"All of these blues songs would be great live...who knows? maybe we'll do a club gig or something".. Ronnie

thumbs up

Posted by: Georges ()
Date: December 2, 2016 17:58

It seems that Blue & Lonesome has been recorded in the 60’s.
The bass is not loud enough on CD; as a result, the sound is somewhat disappointing.
However the Stones made great blues versions, such as “I can’t be satisfied” during Milan rehearsal on Bigger Bang tour.
Anyway, it’s good to hear pure blues.

Posted by: muenke ()
Date: December 2, 2016 18:01

I really like most of the songs on the CD, particulary the uptempo numbers. The slow ones are - for me - hard to take, but nevertheless they are performed very well by the group, it´s just not my kind of musical taste. The production is great and raw, they must have had a ball recording this stuff.

And I think it is a little bit unfair to bash people who dislike the new CD, because you really don´t have to be a fan of old school blues music to be a "real" Stones fan! This discussion is childish. I know there are many blues people around, blues is the origin not just of the Stones, but of rock music in general ... but "nobody" is listening to this kind of music nowadays.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: December 2, 2016 18:05

frenki09
matxil
Cristiano Radtke
Some longer interviews with Keith, Mick, Charlie and Ronnie on a japanese website:

Keith

Mick

Charlie

Ronnie

Great interviews. Thanks for posting.
It must be difficult to interview Charlie by the way.

Fun to watch.

And Charlie seems really easy to talk to. But let's be honest: the guy asked some very dumb questions from Charlie, predictable questions (last album..., you enjoy blues more..., why are people attracted to blues), but a few nice moments...

The last question for Charlie was hilarious. He's trying so hard to pay attention.....lol. But incredibly Charlie did acknowledge the band has "recently" been working on the new album. Quite the scoop..>grinning smiley<

Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: December 2, 2016 18:10

I just don't think it's that great. Two good songs on it, the rest....no. The whole album sounds so flat, it has nowhere near the sound quality of the first album. I hear the term "brickwalled" a lot. I've gone into rehearsal spaces here in LA (some of them the same ones the Stones rehearse at) and with nothing more than an overhead mic recording into a single track, it sounds fuller, more vibrant. The harp has the right amount of echo courtesy of the amp, no effects. I can go to a local blues jam and hear better sounding music. I'm not going to join the choruses of people praising the band for finally doing this because it's not a big deal, especially not for true professionals.

Maybe it's because I'm a Blues purist, but I've heard way better.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: December 2, 2016 18:13

Received the CD today and didn't stop playing it. They got me rocking!

BTW, I was listening to a recording of Ronnie playing at the Blues Fest in London 2012,
(Hammersmith Apollo) with Mick Taylor and Bill Wyman and they covered
Just your fool that same show. I think Frank Mead does the vocals and harmonica.
And that makes the circle round, because Frank played saxophone with Mick at his show
with Gary More at Hammersmith Odeon, where they performed Everybody knows about my
good thing.

Okay, you may all forget this and rock on!

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: December 2, 2016 18:44

Absolutely amazing stuff!!! The title track and Little rain ary my favourits so far...but what´s not to like on this disc???

Date: December 2, 2016 19:08

The most exciting music from the Stones for many years, from the studio. Jagger sounds like he is on fire and drowning at the same time. After years of mannerism, he really lets go, Keith pursues minimalism witrhg beautiful results, Charlie's time is eternal time, and Ron may have played some of his best guitar with the Stones. Each song may clock in at under four minutes, but this music is timeless!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 2, 2016 19:09

DandelionPowderman
matxil
Hairball

[...]

But...no cover can possibly come close to topping these versions - at least in my world:

[...]

Otis Rush - I Can't Quit You Baby (studio)

Cheers for posting this one! thumbs up

Love the Rush-version dearly thumbs up

However, I think Hairball is up for a rather nice surprise here smoking smiley

I cheated last night by listening online - I couldn't resist!
Have to say it sounds just as I anticipated - to put it mildly I'm not surprised by any of it.

Redhotcarpet
Geez what a boring album! Loudness war, Mick tries to sing like a yelling 20 something guy, Keith is absent, no nuances at all in anything. Hate to see you go is good though. Had they released that - fine but no this is not a good album. 2/5. 2 is for the Mick Jagger harmonica showcase.

I wouldn't go so far to say it's boring, but for the most part would agree with you Redhotcarpet. I can't imagine this will be on my playlist for very long as there's nothing much to discover here that's new really - they're only blues covers for goodness sake, and the original versions are all superior. (Down in the Hole from Emotional Rescue - an original - is better than any of this).

Hansman
Just heard the whole album two times in a row. My honest opinion is: Mick shines on it. I really like his vocals and especially his harmonica playing. BUT...let's face it, 54 years ago when this band started they were poor and hungry and real blues enthusiasts. What we hear now are a bunch of multi-millionaires and jet-setters whose blues roots are long, long gone. The Rolling Stones are not even a real band anymore, it is some sort of a project and a multi-million global player in the music and entertainment industry. More of like a brand than a band. It's a nice attempt to give the impression that they are old blues-cats and such, but it is as fake as Keith's teeth. To me this album is some sort of a gimmick and it doesn't sound like real and authentic blues to me.

**/*****

The authenticity is lacking here big time. The context in which the originals were recorded is hard to ignore (racial tensions, etc.), and when listening to these multimillionaire English rock stars covering them it comes across as false. The backstories of those blues musicians are very real...the pain, the anguish, the struggles...all of it equates to real blues...nothing phony about it. In the past, the Stones have taken this American art form and made something intersting/new/different with it - here they seem to just be regurgitating. Makes me wonder why Mick scrapped his blues album with the Red Devils - perhaps he felt the same way. Keith's latest album on the other hand was full of surprises, spice, and curveballs, and while it wasn't to everyone's liking, at least it wasn't simply a rehash of things that came before.

roller99
I just don't think it's that great. Two good songs on it, the rest....no. The whole album sounds so flat, it has nowhere near the sound quality of the first album. I hear the term "brickwalled" a lot. I've gone into rehearsal spaces here in LA (some of them the same ones the Stones rehearse at) and with nothing more than an overhead mic recording into a single track, it sounds fuller, more vibrant. The harp has the right amount of echo courtesy of the amp, no effects. I can go to a local blues jam and hear better sounding music. I'm not going to join the choruses of people praising the band for finally doing this because it's not a big deal, especially not for true professionals.

Based on first impressions I would fully agree, and anticpate my feelings won't change much beyond that.

Will listen a few more times when cd arrives today, and should have a full grasp of everything that needs to be heard by tomorrow. Granted it might be the best album since Tattoo You (yay), and one I'll probably listen to more than anything else of theirs from the past 35 years, but that's not saying much. Dare I say I look forward to a new album of originals - maybe this detour through the blues will inspire something that will stand the test of time and add something to their legacy. For now, they're just treading water. Hopefully those that are unfamiliar with the originals or blues in general will dig a bit deeper and discover the real deal in the process.

"I mean what's the point in listening to us doing "I'm A King Bee" when you can listen to Slim Harpo doing it"? - Mick

Agreed.

Posted by: MononoM ()
Date: December 2, 2016 19:12

wooooot finally a new stones record smiling smiley its on my table now, taping it to TDK-SA so i can listen to it in the car too smiling smiley

Life's just a cocktail party on the street

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-02 19:13 by MononoM.

Posted by: aftergeography ()
Date: December 2, 2016 19:14

TheflyingDutchman
Can anyone on this forum please upload the Album on Youtube ? I haven't heard it yet.

Go buy it @#$%&

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: December 2, 2016 19:15

Rolling Hansie
Hansman

Oh, Come On Hansman. What's wrong with your eyes? She looks a lot better than the Stones smiling smiley

Yes, certainly, but I would rather watch her drive the Mustang to a new Jagger/Richards song from a new album of Jagger/Richards songs.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: December 2, 2016 19:16

“I said, ‘On this you shine, man. This is Mick Jagger at his @#$%& best!’”- Keith

No big surprise those that are not big fans of Mick's aren't very impressed.
For the rest of us.. What a great album!! Love it!

Date: December 2, 2016 19:22

I forgot to add that Mick's harmonica playing is indeed the absolute highlight!
Hope he plays it more on the new originals - if there ever are any.thumbs up

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: December 2, 2016 19:38

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: December 2, 2016 19:40

the one-two of B&L and AOYL is awesome

maybe I am just a simple minded fan

(a simple minded fan who knows and listen to tons of music though)

cheers smileys with beer a stones record is spinning and it's mighty fine

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: December 2, 2016 19:51

Hairball
DandelionPowderman
matxil
Hairball

[...]

But...no cover can possibly come close to topping these versions - at least in my world:

[...]

Otis Rush - I Can't Quit You Baby (studio)

Cheers for posting this one! thumbs up

Love the Rush-version dearly thumbs up

However, I think Hairball is up for a rather nice surprise here smoking smiley

I cheated last night by listening online - I couldn't resist!
Have to say it sounds just as I anticipated - to put it mildly I'm not surprised by any of it.

Redhotcarpet
Geez what a boring album! Loudness war, Mick tries to sing like a yelling 20 something guy, Keith is absent, no nuances at all in anything. Hate to see you go is good though. Had they released that - fine but no this is not a good album. 2/5. 2 is for the Mick Jagger harmonica showcase.

I wouldn't go so far to say it's boring, but for the most part would agree with you Redhotcarpet. I can't imagine this will be on my playlist for very long as there's nothing much to discover here that's new really - they're only blues covers for goodness sake, and the original versions are all superior. (Down in the Hole from Emotional Rescue - an original - is better than any of this).

Hansman
Just heard the whole album two times in a row. My honest opinion is: Mick shines on it. I really like his vocals and especially his harmonica playing. BUT...let's face it, 54 years ago when this band started they were poor and hungry and real blues enthusiasts. What we hear now are a bunch of multi-millionaires and jet-setters whose blues roots are long, long gone. The Rolling Stones are not even a real band anymore, it is some sort of a project and a multi-million global player in the music and entertainment industry. More of like a brand than a band. It's a nice attempt to give the impression that they are old blues-cats and such, but it is as fake as Keith's teeth. To me this album is some sort of a gimmick and it doesn't sound like real and authentic blues to me.

**/*****

The authenticity is lacking here big time. The context in which the originals were recorded is hard to ignore (racial tensions, etc.), and when listening to these multimillionaire English rock stars covering them it comes across as false. The backstories of those blues musicians are very real...the pain, the anguish, the struggles...all of it equates to real blues...nothing phony about it. In the past, the Stones have taken this American art form and made something intersting/new/different with it - here they seem to just be regurgitating. Makes me wonder why Mick scrapped his blues album with the Red Devils - perhaps he felt the same way. Keith's latest album on the other hand was full of surprises, spice, and curveballs, and while it wasn't to everyone's liking, at least it wasn't simply a rehash of things that came before.

roller99

Based on first impressions I would fully agree, and anticpate my feelings won't change much beyond that.

Will listen a few more times when cd arrives today, and should have a full grasp of everything that needs to be heard by tomorrow. Granted it might be the best album since Tattoo You (yay), and one I'll probably listen to more than anything else of theirs from the past 35 years, but that's not saying much. Dare I say I look forward to a new album of originals - maybe this detour through the blues will inspire something that will stand the test of time and add something to their legacy. For now, they're just treading water. Hopefully those that are unfamiliar with the originals or blues in general will dig a bit deeper and discover the real deal in the process.

"I mean what's the point in listening to us doing "I'm A King Bee" when you can listen to Slim Harpo doing it"? - Mick

Agreed.

you're quick and smart Hairball, good for you smiling smiley
not being rude here but consider that not anyone who is liking or dancing the butt out of this are green to the originals or unfamiliar of "the real deal"
at least I am not

smileys with beer

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: December 2, 2016 19:56

smileys with beer

I'm very happy...this is a great album.

Date: December 2, 2016 20:04

maumau
you're quick and smart Hairball, good for you smiling smiley
not being rude here but consider that not anyone who is liking or dancing the butt out of this are green to the originals or unfamiliar of "the real deal"
at least I am not smileys with beer

Cheers maumau. thumbs up

I wasn't necessarily referring to anyone (or everyone) here - obviously there are some well schooled music lovers and appreciators here on IORR!
I was mainly referring to the general masses. Glad you and whoever else here is enjoying it as much as you seem to be, and hopefully the real deal will reach larger audiences.

Keep dancing your butt off! smiling smiley

Posted by: Georges ()
Date: December 2, 2016 20:05

Ads everywhere!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6263646566676869707172...LastNext
Current Page: 67 of 117

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1956
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home