Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5657585960616263646566...LastNext
Current Page: 61 of 117
Re: The Rolling Stones new blues album "Blue & Lonesome" due out Dec 2
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 30, 2016 19:36

DandelionPowderman
Ross
Interesting. I don't recall seeing even one thing negative from anyone on this board who has heard the album. I am sure there will eventually be some dissenters, but so far it's unanimous love for this fine album!!

I still can't get enough of it, it just gets better with each listen. Just, wow!

Mind you, there will be. Complaints about few Keith-solos and Mick's mannered singing will soon shower over us smiling smiley

And surely you will have something to add Dandelion after the initial love fest has subsided?
Even just a little something? It can't be all 100% perfect, can it? smiling smiley

* You did mention some mechanical sounding rhythm guitar, but don't know if that was a negative.

Meanwhile, I'm still in the dark holding out until Dec. 2nd. Good thing I have a very busy week otherwise I might be a tad jealous - Friday can't come soon enough!
Looking forward to hearing from start to finish over and over again on a good sound system while making memories in the process. While I anticipate the initial impression will be a blast of euphoria (when was the last time there was a great Stones album...'81?), not sure how long the bliss will last. Is it one for the ages? Will it stand the test of time? Or is it more of a novelty of blues covers by a great band that we love? Can't help but think of Mick's quote from back in the day: "I mean what's the point in listening to us doing "I'm A King Bee" when you can listen to Slim Harpo doing it"? Will this album be any different in the long run? Are any of these covers better than the originals?

Posted by: HankM ()
Date: November 30, 2016 19:37

DandelionPowderman
HankM
Munichhilton
DandelionPowderman

My wife forced me to move over to headphones now... thumbs up

Hold strong DP...headphones are for sissies...you can't feel em in yer chest!

ya need 3-5 pairs going... one pair for your ears and moar for other areas.

Where do I get chestphones, at the doctor's office? winking smiley

grinning smiley My Doctor kept promising...
but eventually I just made my own using clothes hangers and clamps... I need better medical insurance.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: November 30, 2016 19:38

Stonesfan2146
Found this cool article on a german web site,have not the time to translate now, but I hope later this evening...

[www.welt.de]

meanwhile, look at these superb pictures made in a recent shooting:

*a repost/ quote of these superb photos. RS men, you look handsome fine.
I am waiting for the weekend to run thru the new album.
My life's upside with some abrubt change with good fortune at the end,
but I'm so distracted. Hopefully these blues'll ground me.

Date: November 30, 2016 19:39

He he grinning smiley

Posted by: HankM ()
Date: November 30, 2016 19:40

DandelionPowderman
He he grinning smiley
smileys with beer

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: November 30, 2016 19:58

Hairball
DandelionPowderman
Ross
Interesting. I don't recall seeing even one thing negative from anyone on this board who has heard the album. I am sure there will eventually be some dissenters, but so far it's unanimous love for this fine album!!

I still can't get enough of it, it just gets better with each listen. Just, wow!

Mind you, there will be. Complaints about few Keith-solos and Mick's mannered singing will soon shower over us smiling smiley

And surely you will have something to add Dandelion after the initial love fest has subsided?
Even just a little something? It can't be all 100% perfect, can it? smiling smiley

* You did mention some mechanical sounding rhythm guitar, but don't know if that was a negative.

Meanwhile, I'm still in the dark holding out until Dec. 2nd. Good thing I have a very busy week otherwise I might be a tad jealous - Friday can't come soon enough!
Looking forward to hearing from start to finish over and over again on a good sound system while making memories in the process. While I anticipate the initial impression will be a blast of euphoria (when was the last time there was a great Stones album...'81?), not sure how long the bliss will last. Is it one for the ages? Will it stand the test of time? Or is it more of a novelty of blues covers by a great band that we love? Can't help but think of Mick's quote from back in the day: "I mean what's the point in listening to us doing "I'm A King Bee" when you can listen to Slim Harpo doing it"? Will this album be any different in the long run? Are any of these covers better than the originals?

Good questions. As I am thrilled while listening to new Stones material I ask myself: are there songs I will put on a compile in between their greatest or my favourites? and how many? I can tell you already that I could put at least B&L, AOYL and LR in such compiles but many others are close. If you want a low point, to me sure that is R'EOD. And it is a good point to put the low point I think :-) cheers

Posted by: GS1978 ()
Date: November 30, 2016 20:07

Cristiano Radtke
The @RollingStones are back with #BlueAndLonesome. They told @w1lko it was all "an accident." The full interview hits @AppleMusic Wednesday!

[twitter.com]

[twitter.com]

Just watched Matt Wilkinson's interview with Mick, Keith, Charlie & Ronnie on Apple Music. He did a great job and actually got Charlie to open up about the record and the blues.

Great job Matt -- Can't wait to listen to this album.

Date: November 30, 2016 20:13

Hairball
DandelionPowderman
Ross

I planned to do the same as you - to wait. However, I caved in and opened the email I received eventually smiling smiley

Nothing is 100 percent perfect ever, though. I have already mentioned that the three first songs - or to be more precise - the two first songs (JYF and HTSYG) were a bit weaker than the rest of the songs on this album.

One of the things I like with this release, though, is that this is a 100 percent band effort, hence it's NOT perfect. In a way, that's the album's main strength. They play the songs, with joy, energy and perhaps naivety and respect. It shines through, much like it did in the early days.

But it is peculiar that no one on here has dragged me down from the Stones clouds as yet.

I'll be back with more comments after another ten spins smoking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-30 20:14 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 30, 2016 20:23

maumau
Hairball
DandelionPowderman
Ross

Good questions. As I am thrilled while listening to new Stones material I ask myself: are there songs I will put on a compile in between their greatest or my favourites? and how many? I can tell you already that I could put at least B&L, AOYL and LR in such compiles but many others are close. If you want a low point, to me sure that is R'EOD. And it is a good point to put the low point I think :-) cheers

Cheers maumau.
These are simply questions I've been asking myself since news of a blues cover album was announced - and questions that probably everyone will have a different answer for. With that said, appreciate your time to think about them and give a reply. I know it's early still, and the listening experience can sometimes take awhile to fully digest (especially with a good album), but opinions and first impressions can evolve over time. Looking forward to getting some answers for myself when I indulge this coming weekend and in the following days. And depending on the strength of it all, possibly weeks...maybe months...even years. thumbs up

DandelionPowderman
I planned to do the same as you - to wait. However, I caved in and opened the email I received eventually smiling smiley

Nothing is 100 percent perfect ever, though. I have already mentioned that the three first songs - or to be more precise - the two first songs (JYF and HTSYG) were a bit weaker than the rest of the songs on this album.

One of the things I like with this release, though, is that this is a 100 percent band effort, hence it's NOT perfect. In a way, that's the album's main strength. They play the songs, with joy, energy and perhaps naivety and respect. It shines through, much like it did in the early days.

But it is peculiar that no one on here has dragged me down from the Stones clouds as yet.

I'll be back with more comments after another ten spins smoking smiley

smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-30 20:25 by Hairball.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: November 30, 2016 20:44

Blue And Lonesome is out this Friday! The Stones shared their thoughts on the album. Watch it on Apple Music:
[itunes.apple.com]

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: November 30, 2016 21:50

[www.virginradio.it]

smileys with beer

...but something went wrong with original stuff eye rolling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-30 22:45 by KRiffhard.

Posted by: Koschi ()
Date: November 30, 2016 21:54

Like it very much

Don´t need the harmonica in every song (if I can trust my ears)

Will listen to it a lot in the next weeks

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: November 30, 2016 22:57

The only thing I dislike about this album so far, is that right at the end of I Can't Quit you, the music stops and there aren't a dozen more songs following it!

The best remedy is to just go back to Just Your Fool and listen through a couple more times!

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: November 30, 2016 23:04

Koschi
...Don´t need the harmonica in every song ...

Really? I love it! ... They've been harmonica 'lacking' more in the later year releases compared to the first couple albums. I always loved it when tracks like Black Limo or Love Is Strong came on, just for that!

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: November 30, 2016 23:19

KRiffhard
[www.virginradio.it]

smileys with beer

Nice interviews, thanks, love Keith's "the other guys who can play harp like this are dead" !

What's not clear is what happened after they cut these 12 tracks, was there no time to go back to the new material?

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: November 30, 2016 23:22

Ross
The only thing I dislike about this album so far, is that right at the end of I Can't Quit you, the music stops and there aren't a dozen more songs following it!

The best remedy is to just go back to Just Your Fool and listen through a couple more times!

so do I (a dozen times) grinning smiley

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: November 30, 2016 23:26

gotdablouse
KRiffhard
[www.virginradio.it]

smileys with beer

Nice interviews, thanks, love Keith's "the other guys who can play harp like this are dead" !

What's not clear is what happened after they cut these 12 tracks, was there no time to go back to the new material?

thumbs up

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: November 30, 2016 23:30

i'm gonna wait and listen to the entire thing a few times,stop for awhile and then listen again.
i won't comment on what i think of the record for at least 3 weeks.

the reasons are simple-it's my favorite band playing on a new record for the first time in over 10 years.they could be tuning their guitars and talking for half the album and i'd love it.

but reality sets in eventually and you have to decide how good what they put out really was...or wasn't.when bigger bang was released i loved it for about a week i couldn't stop listening then i noticed well..some of the odd songs weren't odd,they sucked and it unraveled from there.where ..say,let it bleed is timeless bang had a shelf life of about a month.

this could be a boring run through of old songs that reflect the lack of time and effort they put into it or something that just holds up and sounds better with age and becomes a fan favorite and maybe even a classic-time will tell.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: December 1, 2016 00:59

roller99
dcba
kowalski

The album is actually brickwalled to death. But who cares? It's so good.

Yeah I had the impression you could hear distortion on just about every instrument, not just the vocals.
But I agree B&L is very good.

I wasn't aware of the term "brickwalled", but I listened last night and thought the whole album seemed flat. Now I know why.

It's possible the distorsion is due to the way it was recorded though. But the sound definitely lacks of depth. There will be a HD version available. Hopefully it'll make things a little better...

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: December 1, 2016 01:41

Link anyone ?

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: December 1, 2016 03:14

Interviewer [Apple clip above]: "What does it mean to you to be looking back at this stage. (about the album. My notation)
Sir Michael: "I can't have enough of it really..."

There you have it. It's a defeat, really. At least in Sir Michael's mind.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: December 1, 2016 03:26

Keith working with Blue & Lonesome in Mark Knopflers studio in Notting Hill.

[www.instagram.com]

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: December 1, 2016 06:23

Really enjoyed the slower tracks. Mickster sounds real good too

Posted by: Koschi ()
Date: December 1, 2016 09:28

LeonidP
Koschi
...Don´t need the harmonica in every song ...

Really? I love it! ... They've been harmonica 'lacking' more in the later year releases compared to the first couple albums. I always loved it when tracks like Black Limo or Love Is Strong came on, just for that!

It´s not like I don´t love it - I just don´t need it every song

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 1, 2016 10:19

.... Gotta love the way that Ride 'em On Down leaps from the starting gates after the wind down of Everybody Knowssss ...... Great track placement ...

ROCKMAN

Date: December 1, 2016 10:57

Rockman
.... Gotta love the way that Ride 'em On Down leaps from the starting gates after the wind down of Everybody Knowssss ...... Great track placement ...

Same with I Gotta Go after All Of Your Love. It really takes you aback. Great stuff!

I Gotta Go picks it up where they left with Turd On The Run. What a swinging track! thumbs up

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: December 1, 2016 11:01

Does the jap version have an extra track? Will it be released as sa-cd in japan?

Date: December 1, 2016 11:08

kowalski
roller99
dcba
kowalski

The album is actually brickwalled to death. But who cares? It's so good.

Yeah I had the impression you could hear distortion on just about every instrument, not just the vocals.
But I agree B&L is very good.

I wasn't aware of the term "brickwalled", but I listened last night and thought the whole album seemed flat. Now I know why.

It's possible the distorsion is due to the way it was recorded though. But the sound definitely lacks of depth. There will be a HD version available. Hopefully it'll make things a little better...

This is really a lo-fi recording in a way. Back to basics, also in terms of recording. Not sure if a HD-version would add much to the experience. The sound here takes us back in time. It's not meant to be a impressive sonical experience, but merely give us energy, a vibe and.. the blues.

You won't be able to separate Keith and Ronnie's guitars on Just Your Fool no matter how high the bitrate. Seemingly, they used one mic for those two guitars on that tune. The guitars appear to be on the same track smiling smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 1, 2016 11:09

Does the jap version have an extra track? Will it be released as sa-cd in japan?

No bonus track advertised ... Just a T in the Deluxe ...

SACD --- You would think so but hey at this stage who really knows ..

ROCKMAN

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: December 1, 2016 11:41

Surely the instruments/guitars were recorded on their own individual track and the nearly "mono" mix we're getting on some tracks is a production decision they made?

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5657585960616263646566...LastNext
Current Page: 61 of 117

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1745
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home