Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3940414243444546474849...LastNext
Current Page: 44 of 117
Re: The Rolling Stones new blues album "Blue & Lonesome" due out Dec 2
Posted by: maumau ()
Date: November 17, 2016 17:06

georgelicks
DandelionPowderman
georgelicks
DandelionPowderman
Lovely interview! But we need a few more songs from you for the new album, Keith.

Keith already used all his stuff on Crosseyed Heart, how many original and new songs can he write on 1-2 years?
He wrote 12-13 songs on a 10 years frame (2005-2015), the best we can hope is 1-2 new Keith songs and the rest will be "the best" of Mick's solo demos from the last 5 years.

He could write 3 or 4 simple rock songs in a week, if he bothered, I'd say. It's Mick who does most of the shaping anyway, isn't it?

It looks like they want GREAT and DIFFERENT stuff this time, a Bridges To Babylon style but updated 20 years.
After the boring/generic ABB and the blues album, they are looking for a more different stuff than than simple rock songs.

yes that would be great, at least in theory.
I have to give credit to Mick for the fact that he wants to put forward something that would not be immediately recognizable as "stones sound" as he is quoted saying in the RS article. It is a good ambition for a band that wants to be "alive" not only in concerts/archive/retrospective.

having said that I must admit I have serious doubts and problems about what Mick's tastes are and what he considers relevant in today's music. I remember being excited about the choice of the Dust Bros as producers for BTB. They had been praised for their work on Beck's Odelay the year before and it was a great move on Mick's part to call them, in theory. Because actually their contribute was I think minimal and watered down by the band's dynamics. They were not much more than a trademark on the booklet.

So what's on Mick's mind soundwise? He has never been "intellectual" or "trends savvy" as Bowie or Reed or others. So I am a little bit nervous about the eclecticism he says he wants for the next album.

I am eager to take the risk and listen though! winking smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-17 17:10 by maumau.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: November 17, 2016 17:09

KRiffhard
... 'High or Low' (BTB sessions) ...

I don't think I know of that one. Does it exist? What bootleg please, if you have that info?

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: November 17, 2016 17:31

LeonidP
KRiffhard

I don't think I know of that one. Does it exist? What bootleg please, if you have that info?

[www.iorr.org]

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: November 17, 2016 18:24

KRiffhard
LeonidP
KRiffhard

[www.iorr.org]

Thanks, i think ... depressing, so many promising tracks that we may never hear!

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: November 17, 2016 19:36

lem motlow
RipThisBone
hot smiley

Richards has his own answer to the issue. "I'm black as the ace of @#$%& spades, man," he says, deadpan. "Ask any of the brothers." He continues, "I didn't know what color these people were, as a kid. I don't think of blues as being of any particular color at all. Obviously, its history. But there were white slaves, as well. There have been plenty of work songs from way back. Try Egypt. Quite Jewish, actually. You know, people have been doing this since history began."

spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

please tell me he didn't really say that-oh ...damn.he's been living in this bubble for so many years that it's like austin powers where he shows up in the future and still thinks he's a hip cool guy.

or your old crazy uncle that doesn't know that people just don't say things like that anymore .he actually means well but...i'm just gonna cringe now.
LOL, my EXACT reaction.

It's not the first time Keith has claimed he's black, but it's cringe-worthy all the same, particularly nowadays.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: November 17, 2016 21:06

maumau
I have to give credit to Mick for the fact that he wants to put forward something that would not be immediately recognizable as "stones sound" as he is quoted saying in the RS article. It is a good ambition for a band that wants to be "alive" not only in concerts/archive/retrospective.

having said that I must admit I have serious doubts and problems about what Mick's tastes are and what he considers relevant in today's music. I remember being excited about the choice of the Dust Bros as producers for BTB. They had been praised for their work on Beck's Odelay the year before and it was a great move on Mick's part to call them, in theory. Because actually their contribute was I think minimal and watered down by the band's dynamics. They were not much more than a trademark on the booklet.

So what's on Mick's mind soundwise? He has never been "intellectual" or "trends savvy" as Bowie or Reed or others. So I am a little bit nervous about the eclecticism he says he wants for the next album.

i didn't read the article because i don't click on anything to do with rolling stone magazine but if mick is saying he wants to do something "different" "original" or "contemporary" -i can promise you the record will suck.
how many times does he have to learn the same lesson over and over again? when he tries to "take the music somewhere new" it takes the music into a ditch.
there are three kinds of songs-
1.good
2-just o.k
3.terrible
making something different doesn't change any of that.bridges was different,superheavy was different.
making some original sound has no bearing on whether it's any good or not.

he should be worrying about singing from the heart,playing like they mean it and making songs people really want to hear.keith would probably want to spend more time writing with him if he'd loosen up and just write,jam and make good music instead of trying to create these artistic and political statements that nobody cares about.
if jagger wants different because he"s bored with the stones sound then pack it in and go reform superheavy,just don't put us through another failed attempt at reinventing the wheel.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: November 17, 2016 21:14

He didn't know 'what color these people were' when he was a kid because the artists weren't right there on the front cover of most every album he ever had. It's complicated.

Date: November 17, 2016 21:32

hopkins
He didn't know 'what color these people were' when he was a kid because the artists weren't right there on the front cover of most every album he ever had. It's complicated.

i've always wondered if leadbelly was chinese,i mean it's really hard to tell from looking at pictures.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: November 17, 2016 22:40

lem motlow
RipThisBone
hot smiley

Richards has his own answer to the issue. "I'm black as the ace of @#$%& spades, man," he says, deadpan. "Ask any of the brothers." He continues, "I didn't know what color these people were, as a kid. I don't think of blues as being of any particular color at all. Obviously, its history. But there were white slaves, as well. There have been plenty of work songs from way back. Try Egypt. Quite Jewish, actually. You know, people have been doing this since history began."

spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

please tell me he didn't really say that-oh ...damn.he's been living in this bubble for so many years that it's like austin powers where he shows up in the future and still thinks he's a hip cool guy.

or your old crazy uncle that doesn't know that people just don't say things like that anymore .he actually means well but...i'm just gonna cringe now.

Keith can say it because he has no malice towards the black community. Who exactly did he offend with that paragraph? I read it, loved it and kept reading without missing a beat. Boy, you're 73 and now it's an embarrassment. Keep going Keith.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-17 22:41 by Maindefender.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: November 17, 2016 22:59

Yeah, I'm not sure what the issue is, political correctness ? It's not like he used the N word, right ?

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: November 17, 2016 23:01

gotdablouse
Yeah, I'm not sure what the issue is, political correctness ? It's not like he used the N word, right ?
No, it's not really offensive, it's just stupid.

A 73-year old Englishman claiming he's black, and that actual black people think he's one of them, is stupid and embarrassing. I used to think it was the coke talking when he spouted off like that, but clearly not.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: November 17, 2016 23:13

lem motlow
maumau

i didn't read the article because i don't click on anything to do with rolling stone magazine but if mick is saying he wants to do something "different" "original" or "contemporary" -i can promise you the record will suck.
how many times does he have to learn the same lesson over and over again? when he tries to "take the music somewhere new" it takes the music into a ditch.
there are three kinds of songs-
1.good
2-just o.k
3.terrible
making something different doesn't change any of that.bridges was different,superheavy was different.
making some original sound has no bearing on whether it's any good or not.

he should be worrying about singing from the heart,playing like they mean it and making songs people really want to hear.keith would probably want to spend more time writing with him if he'd loosen up and just write,jam and make good music instead of trying to create these artistic and political statements that nobody cares about.
if jagger wants different because he"s bored with the stones sound then pack it in and go reform superheavy,just don't put us through another failed attempt at reinventing the wheel.

do u feel bad? it's ok not to care for the stones anymore

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 17, 2016 23:20

Keith Richards with Barney Hoskyns - MOJO 48 -- November 1997

ROCKMAN

Date: November 17, 2016 23:43

maumau

do u feel bad? it's ok not to care for the stones anymore

i will feel bad,if the stones put out another half-baked album.thanks for telling me it's o.k. if i decide not to care anymore,with your guidance i can now carry on.

Date: November 18, 2016 00:00

I'll tell you what I like. I like hanging with black people, man...they think I'm one anyway...to me the other side of the tracks is where i can really rest

[pics.city-data.com]

Hey I love him but come on....

Date: November 18, 2016 00:04

Hanging around white people, there's always a little tinge of stress

ROCKMAN

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: November 18, 2016 00:15

So you didn't catch what Keith meant? That he's like a black musician with a black soul. When he says "@#$%& the rock, gimme the roll" it's coming from the black guys he admires.

JumpingKentFlash

Date: November 18, 2016 00:36

Yep!! ... Kent's on da trail ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: November 18, 2016 01:28

The Rolling Stones Share Update on That Other New Album

11/17/2016 by Joe Lynch

Evan Agostini/Invision/AP
The Rolling Stones, from left, Ronnie Wood, Keith Richards, Mick Jagger and Charlie Watts attend the opening night party for "Exhibitionism" at Industria on Nov. 15, 2016 in New York.

The Rolling Stones, still going strong after 54 years, are set to release their all-covers album of blues classics and deep cuts, Blue & Lonesome, on Dec. 2.

While a new Rolling Stones album in 2016 might seem like a small miracle in its own right (their previous LP was 2005's A Bigger Bang), there's actually yet another new Rolling Stones album on the horizon…albeit, a very distant horizon.

The Stones started working on new, original material during the Blue & Lonesome sessions, but ended up veering off on a blues tangent almost immediately.

"The reason we hit into the blues stuff was we were in a new studio and in new rooms, it always takes a while to adjust to sounds," Keith Richards tells Billboard at the opening party for the New York edition of their career retrospective Exhibitionism. "So I said to Ronnie [Wood] and Mick [Jagger], 'Let's just hit into the blues,' something we're all familiar with to get the sound together. It came together so quickly and so well, suddenly Mick said, 'Well in that case, let's do this Howlin' Wolf song,' and one led to another and before we knew it we had an album without any intention of doing it."

"That's what we were working on when we decided to cut these blues songs," guitarist Ronnie Wood tells Billboard of the unfinished originals. "The blues songs that we played we hit it once or twice maximum and cut it, so we had an album in two or three days. The new material will take a while to sit and reshape."

As for when the always-busy Stones might get back together to finish that album of originals, Mick Jagger tells Billboard it could be a while, but it's on the docket. "I was working on it quite recently. We've got a long way to go, but I think it sounds really great and I'm looking forward to carrying on with that."

When asked if the Stones might return to the new songs in 2017, Jagger says, "Yeah, I hope so"; Wood also predicts "next year" will see them back in the studio.

Richards, however, is slightly less optimistic about when it might see the light of day: "Well, man, you know, I'm not Nostradamus," he laughs.

[www.billboard.com]

Posted by: aftergeography ()
Date: November 18, 2016 02:20

I'm still wondering if Keith will sing a song on "Blue and lonesome"...I'm beginning to think not since its all covers and was recorded so fast but one can only hope...

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: November 18, 2016 02:20

I love what Keith said.
People still want to put white people and black people in little categories. The whole idea that there is 'black' music is silly.
Keith is saying the blues broke down the categories. He's finding common ground. He can still do this because he's English and not caught up in any of the landmines that a white American would have to avoid.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: November 18, 2016 04:21

Keith Richards
"I'm black as the ace of fucking spades, man. Ask any of the brothers."
guess I know what Keith means... He's soulful, loves music, he's really cool, etc. identifies with, hangs with, etc...

But still
That's such a silly statement. Not politically incorrect or correct. Just silly.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-20 20:02 by schillid.

Posted by: 751st ()
Date: November 18, 2016 05:35

Recovering from major surgery and got the post surgery blues and I cant wait for this album to come out to bring me out of this funk. Nothing cures better than our boys playing the blues.

Date: November 18, 2016 06:11

Hey there, you get well soon! thumbs up
Take it easy and don't worry!!

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: November 18, 2016 06:13

Wonderboy, it IS a land mine. I can't write any of the comments I'm thinking because they could all be misinterpreted, and I don't have the energy.
I know exactly what Keith meant.
Stop calling Keith embarrassing. His feet are firmly on the ground. He's real.
At least he has the courage to speak his mind,
and he is funny as hell.
"goodbye to cocaine," he says. "I was actually fed up with the stuff. I was in a habit." After quitting, he says, "you make up for all the lost meals and all the lost sleep."

Date: November 18, 2016 08:06

Cristiano Radtke
The Rolling Stones Share Update on That Other New Album

11/17/2016 by Joe Lynch

Evan Agostini/Invision/AP
The Rolling Stones, from left, Ronnie Wood, Keith Richards, Mick Jagger and Charlie Watts attend the opening night party for "Exhibitionism" at Industria on Nov. 15, 2016 in New York.

The Rolling Stones, still going strong after 54 years, are set to release their all-covers album of blues classics and deep cuts, Blue & Lonesome, on Dec. 2.

While a new Rolling Stones album in 2016 might seem like a small miracle in its own right (their previous LP was 2005's A Bigger Bang), there's actually yet another new Rolling Stones album on the horizon…albeit, a very distant horizon.

The Stones started working on new, original material during the Blue & Lonesome sessions, but ended up veering off on a blues tangent almost immediately.

"The reason we hit into the blues stuff was we were in a new studio and in new rooms, it always takes a while to adjust to sounds," Keith Richards tells Billboard at the opening party for the New York edition of their career retrospective Exhibitionism. "So I said to Ronnie [Wood] and Mick [Jagger], 'Let's just hit into the blues,' something we're all familiar with to get the sound together. It came together so quickly and so well, suddenly Mick said, 'Well in that case, let's do this Howlin' Wolf song,' and one led to another and before we knew it we had an album without any intention of doing it."

"That's what we were working on when we decided to cut these blues songs," guitarist Ronnie Wood tells Billboard of the unfinished originals. "The blues songs that we played we hit it once or twice maximum and cut it, so we had an album in two or three days. The new material will take a while to sit and reshape."

As for when the always-busy Stones might get back together to finish that album of originals, Mick Jagger tells Billboard it could be a while, but it's on the docket. "I was working on it quite recently. We've got a long way to go, but I think it sounds really great and I'm looking forward to carrying on with that."

When asked if the Stones might return to the new songs in 2017, Jagger says, "Yeah, I hope so"; Wood also predicts "next year" will see them back in the studio.

Richards, however, is slightly less optimistic about when it might see the light of day: "Well, man, you know, I'm not Nostradamus," he laughs.

[www.billboard.com]

"I was..." eye rolling smiley

Date: November 18, 2016 08:18

"I was working on it quite recently..." Mick
"There's about 10 or 12 new songs that Mick actually has been cooking up" Ronnie

Mick's solo album played by the Stones?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-18 08:20 by KRiffhard.

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: November 18, 2016 15:45

Yeah, I think that's pretty much how Stones albums happen these days. The songs on 40 Licks, GRRR, and most of ABB I think are songs Mick wrote. I'm guessing he and Chuck L, being quite sharp and coherent, are the big motivators in the machine when it actually comes to putting new music together. I think Keith Richards loves to work with The Stones, but he seems to rely on recycled riffs a lot with his new stuff, and not very intricate lyrics. This is the reality of The Rolling Stones in their seventies... I wouldn't say they are "sucking in their seventies," but I'd say they're kind of running on fumes when it comes to the creative process... Which is why after 11 years we are getting a new album of... blues covers. It will be a fun listen, but I kind of already know exactly what this album will sound like. I hope they make it through the process of recording an album of all new material.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-18 15:46 by Tate.

Posted by: mattstones ()
Date: November 18, 2016 19:20

I don't find anything offensive about Keith's comments. It is not racist at all.

This over the top political correctness is exactly what people around the world are getting totally sick and tired of.

Date: November 18, 2016 21:18

mattstones
I don't find anything offensive about Keith's comments. It is not racist at all.

This over the top political correctness is exactly what people around the world are getting totally sick and tired of.

thumbs up
You're right Matt.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3940414243444546474849...LastNext
Current Page: 44 of 117

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1460
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home