Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1718192021222324252627...LastNext
Current Page: 22 of 117
Re: The Rolling Stones new blues album "Blue & Lonesome" due out Dec 2
Date: October 13, 2016 15:50

Rocky Dijon
That extract was from March. Chuck did indeed overdub in April. He and Matt provide piano and organ on the tracks.

That's good, Rocky. It sounded indeed like Chuck on JYF.

Do you have sources for that?.

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: October 13, 2016 16:06

We've been through this.

A sizable number of sales of "Blue & Lonesome" will come from downloads ergo the "album" art needs to function at roughly 1 inch square or less. The blue tongue succeeds famously. It is instantly recognizable as the band (tongue logo) and the product (blues album).

Don't get me wrong. If I were the art director on this project I'd have a photographer on a ladder shooting down at the boys, carefully lit, in an otherwise darkened studio. Full circle to the first albums.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: October 13, 2016 16:06

It appears given what Ronnie, Don Was, and Chuck have stated that they cut anywhere from 7-9 tracks last December. Then it was looking like the blues disc would be 11 tracks and now finally we have 12 and we don't know yet if Japan gets another track. The point is it seems likely additional tracks were cut after the South American tour and not just overdubs.

I completely understand bringing only Matt Clifford to John Henry's studio last December when they worked on new material. Matt has frequently been present at demo sessions not only as a player but as a producer/engineer. The choice to book Knopfler's studio (British Grove) which is retrofitted with vintage equipment seems likely to have been based on the decision (I really don't believe it was spontaneous) to do a blues session. It's the closest they can get to returning to Chess Records. I agree at that point they should have called in Ben Waters and Chuck for piano and organ, respectively.

The thing is last December's sessions seem to have had the same tentative feel as the December 2011 sessions at Bill's studio. They cut the two tracks in 2012 with the same myopic view they brought to the 2002 sessions. "We're just doing a couple new songs, let's get it over with." Mick had one and Keith had one. Mick made it clear Don Was selected the songs to record in 2012 after listening to Mick's demos. Keith did head over to Germano Studios with Steve Jordan to work out his ideas from December into full-fledged demos. Presumably the band worked on those tracks as it appeared releasing both albums was still a possibility in the summer. No one is saying a word about Mick's songs apart from knowing that Mick consulted with that boy band producer for the potential single and that Ronnie's son said the music was experimental and surprising. We'll just have to wait and see. Much as I want new Jagger-Richards, releasing the blues disc separately seems the wiser course.

Date: October 13, 2016 16:07

DandelionPowderman
Rocky Dijon
That extract was from March. Chuck did indeed overdub in April. He and Matt provide piano and organ on the tracks.

Well, let's stick to the press release says Chuck is on it and Mick's Twitter video this week noted Chuck plays on it.

Date: October 13, 2016 16:15

Rocky Dijon
DandelionPowderman
Rocky Dijon

Well, let's stick to the press release says Chuck is on it and Mick's Twitter video this week noted Chuck plays on it.

Fine with me, but didn't the press release say that the band, Matt, Darryl and Chuck were recording in a circle round the mics? That is obviously not (totally) true..

But this could be (quoting you here): «it seems likely additional tracks were cut after the South American tour and not just overdubs».

That's probably when Chuck got involved.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-13 16:20 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: October 13, 2016 16:22

Agreed, but I didn't believe the no overdubs claim anyway. It may be not all of the overdubs were used, but they definitely held an overdub session last spring. PR decided to push the spontaneous three day session story without any explanation of why they waited a year to release this live in the studio blues session.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-13 16:23 by Rocky Dijon.

Date: October 13, 2016 16:32

Rocky Dijon
Agreed, but I didn't believe the no overdubs claim anyway. It may be not all of the overdubs were used, but they definitely held an overdub session last spring. PR decided to push the spontaneous three day session story without any explanation of why they waited a year to release this live in the studio blues session.

Just Your Fool (almost) sounds like it was recorded in mono (apart from the piano in the left channel).

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: October 13, 2016 16:54

Rip This
from a marketing perspective the tongue already is a major corporate logo....stands on its own...the electric blue pops, and the effective tie in Blue/blues is simply very clever. Good job. A+

Thumbs up!

KindaBlue
So you're saying that it's a blue album cover for a blues cover album?
Remarkable!

Well that's what it is, but yes, i guess I am saying that too.

aftergeography
I sure hope Keith sings at least one on this album...I can almost see him not singing one but who knows...if he doesn't, won't this will be the first album since IORR not to feature a Keith solo vocal? And it was Satanic before that so that would be odd...

I would have to think he will sing at least one track. Like you, I am also hopeful!

DandelionPowderman
I like it! It doesn't say much, but this is probably their best album cover since Undercover.

thumbs up ... although I also love the Bridges To Babylon and Voodoo Lounge covers more than Undercover.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: October 13, 2016 17:07

The VL-cover is one of their most impressive/best covers ever. I actually love it more than most of the music I find on the album.

Never cared much for the B2B-cover however.

The Blues-album-cover is great. Simple, minimalistic and it tells everything there is to know. It´s the Stones playing the Blues. How many cover show the band-members standing or sitting around? Too many and it´s always the same. I am glad they did not had the idea of using a sepia colored picture reminding of the 30s - so many have already done this "authentic"-shit.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: October 13, 2016 17:15

RoughJusticeOnYa
Going public with this (blogging etc.) won't really help his case (if ever there was one...), me thinks... Jagger won't like somebody spilling the beans. Whatever this is, it still is 'internal affairs'!

Still: the whole thing just shows, to me that is, agàin how spontaneous & 'unplanned' this all happened.

My two cents on the 'piano' issue: if they (would) have 'invited' a certain piano player thoughtfully (f.i. especially to fit the music perfectly), then that person could/ should have been Ben Waters imo.

Anyway: either Chuck has ***** up badly (in the eyes of the Jagger, obviously); or he shouldn't read too much in it all... Not so much a case of him not 'being invited'; more like him 'not being there when it all happened'.

EDIT: I didn't see your additional info there before I started writing my reply, RockyD. So apparently, it all turned out for the best for everybody... right?

Wow that's a bit of a shocker indeed, with ol' Chuck getting his knickers in a twist publicly. It's not that surprising he didn't get invited to these sessions as he had also missed the B2B sessions after declaring himself to be the Stones's musical director during the 95' tour...It could well be that Mick likes to have him (and his little fake book) around for rehearsals but hasn't been too impressed by his creativity over the years.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: October 13, 2016 17:31

Matt is very close to Mick, professionally and socially. Apart from Dave Stewart, he's Mick's other closest collaborator. Since STEEL WHEELS/URBAN JUNGLE, he's worked with Mick on "Angel in My Heart," "Streets of Berlin," all of GODDESS IN THE DOORWAY where he not only played keyboards, but co-wrote, arranged, and co-produced a number of tracks. Matt brought Steve Knightley and Mick Dolan to GODDESS IN THE DOORWAY as he brought Phil Beer to STEEL WHEELS, pulling from his background in folk/prog circles. He produced the demos for Mick's three songs for FORTY LICKS and two of the singles for A BIGGER BANG. He assisted in selecting and prepping tracks to recut for EXILE and SOME GIRLS. He's been back on tour with the band for the last four years and, as Dean Goodman noted in his review of Desert Trip, he's now playing onstage for the entire show:

"Matt Clifford was at his keyboard for the entire show, completing one of the most amazing comebacks in rock 'n' roll history. The only time I heard him was when he shook lots of little percussion instruments on "Brown Sugar" - and I swear he made the song sound pretty cool. In some ways he made more of a difference on that song than Bernard and Sasha did during the entire gig. Alas, his mike failed during his spotlight on "You Can't Always Get What You Want," so he just stood there blowing into his French horn to no avail. Mick and Keith looked a little vexed, but kept their eyes on the audience. I'm sure Chuck got some Schadenfreude."

The sibling rivalry has been noted.

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: October 13, 2016 17:41

The album cover is odd, but ''Just Your Fool'' is great and I'm so excited for this album. Who gives a crap about the cover anyway? They really can't go wrong with all these great songs. Commit A Crime with Mick Jagger in the White House was fabulous and maybe it will be even better with the Stones.

As there were no overdubs, it would have been nice if they had filmed all the sessions and then included a bonus dvd with the deluxe edition. 40 minutes footage of the Stones playing old blues in a studio would be a delight to see.

Date: October 13, 2016 17:45

TheBlockbuster
The album cover is odd, but ''Just Your Fool'' is great and I'm so excited for this album. Who gives a crap about the cover anyway? They really can't go wrong with all these great songs. Commit A Crime with Mick Jagger in the White House was fabulous and maybe it will be even better with the Stones.

As there were no overdubs, it would have been nice if they had filmed all the sessions and then included a bonus dvd with the deluxe edition. 40 minutes footage of the Stones playing old blues in a studio would be a delight to see.

Read above.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: October 13, 2016 17:50

TheBlockbuster

Like the March 1995 Tokyo Studio Sessions in the (Totally) Stripped Documentary .... smiling smiley

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: October 13, 2016 17:50

DandelionPowderman
TheBlockbuster

Read above.

Not a lot of them I presume, the guitars appears to be untouched, why else leave in Keith's early switch to D?

Posted by: tumblingdice ()
Date: October 13, 2016 18:36

No overdubs or maybe just a few? I could swear I hear some harmonica at spots on the end of JYF at points where Mick,is either about to sing/ just ended and singing over the lick. So surely some overdubs there?

Posted by: Toxic34 ()
Date: October 13, 2016 18:47

I'm looking quite forward to the release of this album. It will definitely whet the appetite for the new Stones songs to follow. I think these covers will be quite intriguing, hot, fresh, raw and very much of the Stones.

Date: October 13, 2016 20:33

TheBlockbuster
Not a lot of them I presume, the guitars appears to be untouched, why else leave in Keith's early switch to D?

Pretty sure that's a deliberate nod to authenticity as it is the same on Little Walter's original recording.

Date: October 13, 2016 21:58

Rocky Dijon
TheBlockbuster

Pretty sure that's a deliberate nod to authenticity as it is the same on Little Walter's original recording.

I was thinking that as well.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: October 13, 2016 22:11

Untouched guitars. Good point.
It is not the same for the "Live" DVD for years...
Even for the promo clips... (Start Me Up Coachella).

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: Freebird1959 ()
Date: October 13, 2016 22:37

blueswithafeeling
background picture for your smartphone if you like 720 x 1280

Senx! Looks great on my smartphone.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: October 13, 2016 23:09

HMS
I am glad they did not had the idea of using a sepia colored picture reminding of the 30s - so many have already done this "authentic"-shit.

u got a point here

Posted by: RaiseTheKnife ()
Date: October 13, 2016 23:20

maumau
HMS
I am glad they did not had the idea of using a sepia colored picture reminding of the 30s - so many have already done this "authentic"-shit.

u got a point here

But there has to be a middle ground between a plain blue tongue and a sepia colored retro picture, where's the creativity?

Posted by: BILLPERKS ()
Date: October 13, 2016 23:37

I'm already bored with Just You're Fool..

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: October 13, 2016 23:52

BILLPERKS

Then try Just Your Fool...much better.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: October 14, 2016 00:01

DandelionPowderman
It was surprising that Chuck wasn't invited. Matt played the piano on the sessions. Chuck is hoping to get to do an overdub or two, but even that isn't certain (Keith said he could, Mick hasn't said anything).

Wonder what happened here...

From Chuck and Rosie Lane's blog:

We went down to the restaurant area, where several others in our group gathered to have a drink and explore the food possibility. Keith and Patti were there, Tim Ries and a few others. We sipped our cocktails and talked for a bit, then Patti came over to tell us we should come up to their room to listen to the stuff the Stones recorded in London in Dec. Keith had invited me to do so a few times before, but somehow we either missed his message or were out of the hotel. So this was the chance to hear it. The band had gone to London to “mess around” and see if there could be any material to come out of it. I had not been invited, which had hurt my feelings...especially knowing that Matt Clifford was there.

But I was in no position to force myself into the mix, so I had no choice but to stay out of it. But to make things worse, what had happened was that while they apparently explored trying to do some new material, they wound up playing some blues tunes. One thing led to another, and they wound up with 9 or 10 tracks of blues. For them to do that without me there tore me up. But I took it as best I could, and at some point Keith, Ronnie and Charlie had expressed that they wanted me to overdub on some of it.

Mick has not mentioned a word about it to me. Anyway, this night was finally the time to go up to Keith’s room and give it all a listen. Rose Lane went with me, and Tim Ries also came, and Darryl. Darryl was on the sessions, and had told me some about it. We all gathered in his sitting area, and he put the music on. It sounded really great...and as Keith pointed out several times, this is why the Stones started playing together in the first place. They loved the blues and that was most of their repertoire...with perhaps some Chuck Berry thrown in. The mixes we listened to had Matt’s part either way down in the mix or not there at all for the most part.

But from what I could hear of him, most of the parts he played sounded benign to me for the most part. This is a delicate thing...I like Matt, and part of me is glad he was there....but I know if I had been there it would have come out more authentic. Anyway, Keith wants me to have a shot at it at some point. I truly hope that comes about, but there are challenges to make it happen. First, what about Mick? How does he feel about it? Second...where and when would we work that out? Well...hopefully it will be done. Obviously I want to do it and will do everything I can to sort it out.

Keith had some other “sketches” of ideas that he played...that Matt was also on. They were not even demos of yet....just sort of jams and riff ideas. So I don’t know what the band will do about it all coming together...will the blues thing be a stand alone project? Will it be a part of some new stuff that they will eventually finish? Whatever happens, I certainly want to be a part of it. We’ll see how the whole thing turns out in time.

*Ew. Uncomfortable and odd, is me being nice. Must be a relief to work with
Steve Jordan? God even in a rock and roll band there is toe stepping people pleasing BS.

Posted by: KindaBlue ()
Date: October 14, 2016 05:09

shortfatfanny
BILLPERKS

Then try Just Your Fool...much better.

Completists already have alternate versions to hunt down - with and without apostrophes!

winking smiley

Posted by: BILLPERKS ()
Date: October 14, 2016 05:48

Kudos to Chuck for his honesty....But both him & Matt shouldn't come near those recordings.

Matt is Mick's yes man, always has been , always will.

Date: October 14, 2016 06:08

Yes-man? I don't think that's an accurate depiction of their relationship. Mind you, I don't believe Don Was is as much of a yes-man as fans want to believe either. Our harsh criticism of Mick and Keith is very often misdirected at those who surround them. They would be great again if Don/Chuck/Matt were gone.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: October 14, 2016 10:09

Rocky Dijon
Yes-man?

Matt did play with Yes and on soloprojects of Yes members smiling smiley

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1718192021222324252627...LastNext
Current Page: 22 of 117

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2120
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home