Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1617181920212223242526...LastNext
Current Page: 21 of 117
Re: The Rolling Stones new blues album "Blue & Lonesome" due out Dec 2
Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: October 12, 2016 00:14

LeonidP

Possibly it was, and it just isn't that obvious. For one, it isn't just a 'blue' color.

It's actually a color change that flows, from different shades of purplish/red/magenta to shades of blue. And as I have always loved the different versions of Stones tongues, I love the way that the blue color of the tongue blends in with the left side completely, to where you cannot make out the shape of the tongue, i.e. on the lower left side.

great,but for those of us who quit dropping acid a few years ago it's the cover of 40 licks and the front of about 10 million t-shirts only in blue.

how fcking cheezy is that -we're making a "blues album" so we're gonna have a "blue tongue" for the cover.wow that's just so cool cause ya see the tongue is blue and the stones are playing blues-what is this a pepsi ad,it's like those fast food joints "in honor of the olympics we're putting the olympic rings colors on every happy meal"
guys,the cover BLOWS!

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: October 12, 2016 00:47

lem motlow
LeonidP

Possibly it was, and it just isn't that obvious. For one, it isn't just a 'blue' color.

It's actually a color change that flows, from different shades of purplish/red/magenta to shades of blue. And as I have always loved the different versions of Stones tongues, I love the way that the blue color of the tongue blends in with the left side completely, to where you cannot make out the shape of the tongue, i.e. on the lower left side.

great,but for those of us who quit dropping acid a few years ago it's the cover of 40 licks and the front of about 10 million t-shirts only in blue.

how fcking cheezy is that -we're making a "blues album" so we're gonna have a "blue tongue" for the cover.wow that's just so cool cause ya see the tongue is blue and the stones are playing blues-what is this a pepsi ad,it's like those fast food joints "in honor of the olympics we're putting the olympic rings colors on every happy meal"
guys,the cover BLOWS!

hot smiley thumbs down

Hahahahahaha... Listen to the music and the lyrics and forget about your old time poetry > because it's OUT OF TIME.
THE ROLLING STONES ARE THE GREATEST BLUESBAND IN THE WORLD LYRIC-wise AND MUSIC-wise since a long, long time.
And it ain't THEIR FAULT.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-12 01:05 by RipThisBone.

Posted by: vtstonesfan ()
Date: October 12, 2016 05:05

It's not likely, I suppose, but I'm wondering if the blue-tongue image is a "placeholder" until the album actually comes out Dec. 2 with something really engaging and thoughtfully conceived. Or, maybe it's a kind of huge, removable poster-sleeve à là the original Emotional Rescue vinyl, with some cool montage of the old blues masters covered on the album, underneath. That would help refute the opinion expressed in Slate recently:

(http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/music_box/2016/10/race_rock_and_the_rolling_stones_how_the_rock_and_roll_became_white.html. )

At any rate, it fits the back-to-the-basics approach of the project. Can't wait!

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: October 12, 2016 05:17

lem motlow
LeonidP

how fcking cheezy is that -we're making a "blues album" so we're gonna have a "blue tongue" for the cover....

Well for those that aren't mental midgets, as stated before, it's not just 'blue' ... it has a design that is likely based on marketing, as stated, and the 'blue' is a symbol, again, used often in art, that the ignorant seem to have no clue about. A 'blue' album cover for blues, btw, makes more sense then a green cover, although I guess that would make you think its more abstract or something.

Oh my god! Beatles Abbey Road has Abbey Road on the cover! How obvious!!
Oh my god! Between the Buttons emphasizes buttons -- Seriously!
Oh my god! Hotel California has a hotel on it! Ridiculous!!

Yeah, an album about Blue, w/ Blue in the title, should have been green, i guess.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 12, 2016 06:31

Yeah I'm wiv you LeonidP .... da album and da cover is drenched in bluzzzzz

ROCKMAN

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: October 12, 2016 07:10

Rockman

....and I like da bluzzzz!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 12, 2016 07:20

vtstonesfan
It's not likely, I suppose, but I'm wondering if the blue-tongue image is a "placeholder" until the album actually comes out Dec. 2 with something really engaging and thoughtfully conceived. Or, maybe it's a kind of huge, removable poster-sleeve à là the original Emotional Rescue vinyl, with some cool montage of the old blues masters covered on the album, underneath That would help refute the opinion expressed in Slate recently:

I like your thinking vtstonesfan...maybe it's just temporary and disposable.

And your idea of 'huge, removable poster-sleeve à là the original Emotional Rescue vinyl' is great!
Paying respect to the blues masters that they borrowed so heavily from, and are once again making money from.
Your concept is creative, and took more thought and imagination than recycling the tongue again...they should have consulted with you!

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: October 12, 2016 13:27

Hairball
vtstonesfan
It's not likely, I suppose, but I'm wondering if the blue-tongue image is a "placeholder" until the album actually comes out Dec. 2 with something really engaging and thoughtfully conceived. Or, maybe it's a kind of huge, removable poster-sleeve à là the original Emotional Rescue vinyl, with some cool montage of the old blues masters covered on the album, underneath That would help refute the opinion expressed in Slate recently:

I like your thinking vtstonesfan...maybe it's just temporary and disposable.

And your idea of 'huge, removable poster-sleeve à là the original Emotional Rescue vinyl' is great!
Paying respect to the blues masters that they borrowed so heavily from, and are once again making money from.
Your concept is creative, and took more thought and imagination than recycling the tongue again...they should have consulted with you!

there's no temporary and disposable I'm afraid. as someone already pointed out this is the rolling stones state of the art(work) in the age of the thumbnails for devices and streaming apps. they "conceived" that along with the graphic style for the website and social profiles. in that perspective it has it's own logic.. it is a very main stream and corporate and not-challenging logic, but it has its own.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: October 12, 2016 14:59

Rockman

... and i like it!

Posted by: vtstonesfan ()
Date: October 12, 2016 19:43

Hey, thanks, Hairball. Coming from another era, when there was more ritualized interaction with a physical record, leads to such wishful thinking, I guess. The blue icon will make for a nice, bright visual on everyone's gadgetry. One of the cool things about the Stones is that they've always tried to be of their time, whatever the decade or trend. If the simple image helps in bringing the blues to today's audience, then more power to them. The bottom line is the sound, of course.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: October 12, 2016 20:35

Does anyone know what the deluxe 2 lp vinyl version includes, looks like nothing more than the album on 2 records instead of one. Don't get it.

Date: October 12, 2016 20:49

Hound Dog
Does anyone know what the deluxe 2 lp vinyl version includes, looks like nothing more than the album on 2 records instead of one. Don't get it.

Maybe a 'design your own album cover kit' including *paint, stencils, and stickers.
(*colors included - red, green, and yellow. NO blue).

winking smiley

Posted by: RaiseTheKnife ()
Date: October 12, 2016 20:54

lem motlow

guys,the cover BLOWS!

True very lazy album art. Best to keep the expectations LOW for the music.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: October 12, 2016 21:02

[twitter.com]

Mick talks about the design.

Date: October 12, 2016 21:08

Hound Dog

A book as well?

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: October 12, 2016 21:25

Hound Dog

The 2LP-Vinyl (Gatefold sleeve) has 3 songs on each side - [www.universal-music.co.jp] - [translate.google.com] :

LP1

Side A:
1 Just Your Fool
2 Commit A Crime
3 Blue And Lonesome

Side B:
1 All Of Your Love
2 I Gotta Go
3 Everybody Knows About My Good Thing

LP2

Side A:
1 Ride 'Em On Down
2 Hate To See You Go
3 Hoo Doo Blues

Side B:
1 Little Rain
2 Just Like I Treat You
3 I Can't Quit You Baby

The Deluxe Box set is CD only with a 64-p Book (about the making of the album) plus 5 collectable artcards: [store.digitalstores.co.uk] .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-12 22:00 by Irix.

Date: October 12, 2016 22:37

Koen
[twitter.com]

Might have been better in it's original grey blue... eye rolling smiley

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: October 12, 2016 23:21

Hairball
Koen
[twitter.com]

Nah....That's 10 years away... The Blue Turns To Grey Stones Tongue design.

Date: October 12, 2016 23:42

RipThisBone
Hairball
Koen
[twitter.com]

Nah....That's 10 years away... The Blue Turns To Grey Stones Tongue design.

The should have kept the new one grey/blue, added some scuff marks, and weather it up a bit to reflect the classic old blues tunes.
Instead it's intensely clean and bright neon blue!!! eye popping smiley

At least from what I've heard, the production is old school and subtle without any newfangled bright bells and whistles that Mick is known to like.
Looking forward to hearing it all! thumbs up

Posted by: KindaBlue ()
Date: October 13, 2016 03:05

LeonidP
lem motlow
LeonidP

how fcking cheezy is that -we're making a "blues album" so we're gonna have a "blue tongue" for the cover....

Well for those that aren't mental midgets, as stated before, it's not just 'blue' ... it has a design that is likely based on marketing, as stated, and the 'blue' is a symbol, again, used often in art, that the ignorant seem to have no clue about. A 'blue' album cover for blues, btw, makes more sense then a green cover, although I guess that would make you think its more abstract or something.

Yeah, an album about Blue, w/ Blue in the title, should have been green, i guess.

So you're saying that it's a blue album cover for a blues cover album?

Remarkable!

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: October 13, 2016 03:24

from a marketing perspective the tongue already is a major corporate logo....stands on its own...the electric blue pops, and the effective tie in Blue/blues is simply very clever. Good job. A+

Posted by: aftergeography ()
Date: October 13, 2016 07:08

I sure hope Keith sings at least one on this album...I can almost see him not singing one but who knows...if he doesn't, won't this will be the first album since IORR not to feature a Keith solo vocal? And it was Satanic before that so that would be odd...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-13 07:20 by aftergeography.

Date: October 13, 2016 10:52

I like it! It doesn't say much, but this is probably their best album cover since Undercover.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: October 13, 2016 11:08

DandelionPowderman
I like it! It doesn't say much, but this is probably their best album cover since Undercover.

Agreed,and I hope the music will be good as well.

Date: October 13, 2016 11:12

shortfatfanny
DandelionPowderman
I like it! It doesn't say much, but this is probably their best album cover since Undercover. Agreed,and I hope the music will be good as well.

It bodes well so far, imo thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-13 11:23 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: October 13, 2016 11:19

KindaBlue
LeonidP
lem motlow
LeonidP

So you're saying that it's a blue album cover for a blues cover album?

Remarkable!

smiling smiley

Luckily, they didn't make a bluegrass cover album.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: October 13, 2016 11:43

DandelionPowderman
shortfatfanny
DandelionPowderman
I like it! It doesn't say much, but this is probably their best album cover since Undercover. Agreed,and I hope the music will be good as well.

It bodes well so far, imo thumbs up

thumbs upsmoking smiley

Date: October 13, 2016 15:18

It was surprising that Chuck wasn't invited. Matt played the piano on the sessions. Chuck is hoping to get to do an overdub or two, but even that isn't certain (Keith said he could, Mick hasn't said anything).

Wonder what happened here...

From Chuck and Rosie Lane's blog:

We went down to the restaurant area, where several others in our group gathered to have a drink and explore the food possibility. Keith and Patti were there, Tim Ries and a few others. We sipped our cocktails and talked for a bit, then Patti came over to tell us we should come up to their room to listen to the stuff the Stones recorded in London in Dec. Keith had invited me to do so a few times before, but somehow we either missed his message or were out of the hotel. So this was the chance to hear it. The band had gone to London to “mess around” and see if there could be any material to come out of it. I had not been invited, which had hurt my feelings...especially knowing that Matt Clifford was there.

But I was in no position to force myself into the mix, so I had no choice but to stay out of it. But to make things worse, what had happened was that while they apparently explored trying to do some new material, they wound up playing some blues tunes. One thing led to another, and they wound up with 9 or 10 tracks of blues. For them to do that without me there tore me up. But I took it as best I could, and at some point Keith, Ronnie and Charlie had expressed that they wanted me to overdub on some of it.

Mick has not mentioned a word about it to me. Anyway, this night was finally the time to go up to Keith’s room and give it all a listen. Rose Lane went with me, and Tim Ries also came, and Darryl. Darryl was on the sessions, and had told me some about it. We all gathered in his sitting area, and he put the music on. It sounded really great...and as Keith pointed out several times, this is why the Stones started playing together in the first place. They loved the blues and that was most of their repertoire...with perhaps some Chuck Berry thrown in. The mixes we listened to had Matt’s part either way down in the mix or not there at all for the most part.

But from what I could hear of him, most of the parts he played sounded benign to me for the most part. This is a delicate thing...I like Matt, and part of me is glad he was there....but I know if I had been there it would have come out more authentic. Anyway, Keith wants me to have a shot at it at some point. I truly hope that comes about, but there are challenges to make it happen. First, what about Mick? How does he feel about it? Second...where and when would we work that out? Well...hopefully it will be done. Obviously I want to do it and will do everything I can to sort it out.

Keith had some other “sketches” of ideas that he played...that Matt was also on. They were not even demos of yet....just sort of jams and riff ideas. So I don’t know what the band will do about it all coming together...will the blues thing be a stand alone project? Will it be a part of some new stuff that they will eventually finish? Whatever happens, I certainly want to be a part of it. We’ll see how the whole thing turns out in time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-13 15:21 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: October 13, 2016 15:46

That extract was from March. Chuck did indeed overdub in April. He and Matt provide piano and organ on the tracks.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: October 13, 2016 15:48

Going public with this (blogging etc.) won't really help his case (if ever there was one...), me thinks... Jagger won't like somebody spilling the beans. Whatever this is, it still is 'internal affairs'!

Still: the whole thing just shows, to me that is, agàin how spontaneous & 'unplanned' this all happened.

My two cents on the 'piano' issue: if they (would) have 'invited' a certain piano player thoughtfully (f.i. especially to fit the music perfectly), then that person could/ should have been Ben Waters imo.

Anyway: either Chuck has ***** up badly (in the eyes of the Jagger, obviously); or he shouldn't read too much in it all... Not so much a case of him not 'being invited'; more like him 'not being there when it all happened'.

EDIT: I didn't see your additional info there before I started writing my reply, RockyD. So apparently, it all turned out for the best for everybody... right?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-13 15:50 by RoughJusticeOnYa.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1617181920212223242526...LastNext
Current Page: 21 of 117

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1727
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home