Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314...LastNext
Current Page: 9 of 117
Re: 6 October announchement
Posted by: JumpinJimF ()
Date: October 6, 2016 18:29

mr_dja
GasLightStreet
mr_dja
I am not going to get any work done today... I don't have Spotify or iTunes and I'm going to have to wait until I get home to use the wet-transfer posted above! AARGH!! Glad to hear people are enjoying the track... Can't wait until I'm one of them!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Why don't you have Spotify?

Just never downloaded it. Never used it. I'm old and haven't embraced the new technology. Most of the music I "stream" is my own collection that I've uploaded to the cloud myself. Some day soon I will probably have a Spotify account. I just haven't "bit the bullet" to be willing to pay a monthly fee for "radio" yet. All in good time I guess but as of now, I'm the holdout in my family. Who knows, maybe today is the day that finally sends me over the edge. I was hoping that amazon would have the ability to pay for and download the single. That account I do have set up. It looks like the youtube link for the whole song was there and removed before I could get to it.

Safe to assume you use and would recommend Spotify to someone old and stubborn like me?

Peace,
Mr DJA

Spotify Premium for family is GBP 14.99pm (probably cheaper in other countries) for you and up to 5 family members each with their own account. Maybe they will tip the balance for you? Certainly keeps my kids happy.

That gives you 320kbps streaming which is usually very good. It doesn't compare to radio in my opinion, as I keep finding stuff (new and old) which I'd never have heard anywhere else - and it's guided me towards new physical purchases (try before you buy).

(and no I'm not affiliated with...etc)

Posted by: Bluesstone ()
Date: October 6, 2016 18:34

Lien
Cristiano Radtke
I created a playlist on YouTube with the original versions, for those interested: [www.youtube.com]

thumbs up

Great! Many many thanks, Cristiano!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 6, 2016 18:36

mr_dja
GasLightStreet
mr_dja
I am not going to get any work done today... I don't have Spotify or iTunes and I'm going to have to wait until I get home to use the wet-transfer posted above! AARGH!! Glad to hear people are enjoying the track... Can't wait until I'm one of them!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Why don't you have Spotify?

Just never downloaded it. Never used it. I'm old and haven't embraced the new technology. Most of the music I "stream" is my own collection that I've uploaded to the cloud myself. Some day soon I will probably have a Spotify account. I just haven't "bit the bullet" to be willing to pay a monthly fee for "radio" yet. All in good time I guess but as of now, I'm the holdout in my family. Who knows, maybe today is the day that finally sends me over the edge. I was hoping that amazon would have the ability to pay for and download the single. That account I do have set up. It looks like the youtube link for the whole song was there and removed before I could get to it.

Safe to assume you use and would recommend Spotify to someone old and stubborn like me?

Peace,
Mr DJA

Yes. It's free - but you can get a subscription version of it and that means no ads, for one. And artists, well, they sort of "make" money. You can 'save' songs or albums, you can make playlists... it's good. It's easy. Hell, most of what I have on it I already own. Even though Google Music has essentially backed up my Windows Media Player online I know I can get exactly what I want that I have on Spotify from wherever I am if I'm not at home. And unlike Pandora, if I want to listen to one artist I can.

That's what got me to understand it's a good thing to have.

There are other things I've saved that I would not buy just because I don't want to buy every album or compilation or whatever of someone. Like the Stones box sets of singles (mainly for the tracks I don't have on CD) but also for things I can't find on CD that I'm aware of.

I have iTunes but rarely use it. Only when it's the only way to get something.

I was against getting Spotify, partly because some artists I like don't like it - but then some of them make their own playlists! You can read that it's bad etc blah blah blah but when I can (usually) hear the same thing on YouTube (and some other streaming sites probably), well... the hell with it.

I only use it once in a while. Today was the first time I've used it in over a month.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 6, 2016 18:43

Bluesstone
Lien
Cristiano Radtke
I created a playlist on YouTube with the original versions, for those interested: [www.youtube.com]

thumbs up

Great! Many many thanks, Cristiano!

Yes thanks Cristiano - this will make it easier now to compare, contrast, and critique.

Hard to beat those good old original versions! Like a great movie, sometimes they're best left alone as remakes are usually inferior.
But it's the Stones - can't be too bad, and will surely be better than Aeorsmiths blues covers.

Posted by: howlingmad ()
Date: October 6, 2016 18:49

Wow, first thought is that Mick actually took my advice and recorded "Commit A Crime" with the Stones! He did a great version with Jeff Beck a few years ago for a White House event:

[youtu.be]

I still think the blue tongue on a black background would make a much classier album cover (and be much easier on the eyes) but that's a very minor complaint all things considered. This looks like it will easily be the best thing the band has done since Stripped.

Posted by: ChrisL ()
Date: October 6, 2016 18:51

Cristiano Radtke

Awesome. Thanks much Cristiano.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 6, 2016 18:52

Sounds good:

Stones

Posted by: MichaelLassen ()
Date: October 6, 2016 18:57

Wonderful idea and project. Thank god Keith suggested to play some blues as a warm up on that day, and not the american songbook or something ;-)

Date: October 6, 2016 19:02

teleblaster
Palace Revolution 2000

Love this release; and like Jeroen said, this is real proper rockin for 70 year olds. It's mean in the right way. This is good Stones.
It's not often that I see a statement by Jagger where he says "we payin our respects". And Keith has often talked about 'passing it on'. Here it is.
These are real obscure Blues covers; so fine. So good they didn't do type of Blues covers that everyone knows.

Not really obscure if you've had more than a passing interest in Chicago blues over the years, but a nice list nonetheless. Interesting that they don't cover Muddy - probably quite rightly thinking that they've done enough of his stuff over the years - and so glad they avoided the former classics that have been so done to death by the white boys that they've become cliches, e.g., Sweet Home Chicago, Key To The Highway.

Yes, you are kind of making my point, better than I did. for a heavy Blues aficionado, these are not all that obscure. I mean, Little Walter or Otis Rush are well known Blues artists. It's just that majority of folks out there knows only that material that's been cheapened by White Boys Blue; like exactly the songs you mentioned, or worse - anything that mentions a lemon.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: October 6, 2016 19:14

Lien
[vimeo.com]

THANK YOU LIEN!!! My ears are very happy! Halloween, the US Election, US Thanksgiving & 3/5 of my families birthdays all have been removed from my "looking forward to" list and just became irrelevant in my world... Bring on December 2nd and the Stones new album!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: Shantipole ()
Date: October 6, 2016 19:33

I LIKE IT.

Posted by: drwatts ()
Date: October 6, 2016 19:54

Chawlies good t'nite inn't he? That tunes a stone groover!

Rolling Stones new album title: Blue and Lonesome
Posted by: jackflash27 ()
Date: October 5, 2016 11:35

[www.bol.com]

Also available in Deluxe edition. From bol.com: "The deluxe edition of Blue And Lonesome contains the complete album, a hardcover book and 5 artprints."

No track list yet...

Re: Rolling Stones new album title: Blue and Lonesome
Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: October 5, 2016 11:43

UPDATED 06/10/2016 : We now have the full details on B&L, out December 2nd, 2016

CLICK FOR LARGER PICTURE :

1. Just Your Fool (Little Walter)
2. Commit A Crime (Howlin Wolf)
3. Blue And Lonesome - (Little Walter)
4. All Of Your Love - (Otis Rush)
5. I Gotta Go - (Little Walter)
6. Everybody Knows About My Good Thing - (Little Johnny taylor)
7. Ride 'Em On Down - (Robert Pettway/Jimmy Reed)
8. Hate To See You Go - (Little Walter)
9. Hoo Doo Blues - (Lightning Slim)
10. Little Rain - (Jimmy Reed)
11. Just Like I Treat You - (Howlin Wolf)
12. I Can't Quit You Baby - (Otis Rush)

Courtesy of Ross for the original performer (of the Blues version)

-----------------

Two known tracks so far :

Little Walter's "Just Your Fool" * : [www.youtube.com] - first single [www.youtube.com]
Little Walter's "Blue and Lonesome" ** : [www.youtube.com]

Notes :
* : "inspiration" for "Cook Cook Blues" : [www.youtube.com]
** : "inspiration" for "Co*cksucker Blues" : [www.youtube.com]

...plundered my soul indeed and maybe a little more ;-)

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 10 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-06 16:47 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: October 5, 2016 11:50

Wow - so we have a name now and two tracks. But is that gonna be the cover? Oh dear. Nice work jackflash27.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-05 11:52 by Silver Dagger.

Posted by: Christiaan ()
Date: October 5, 2016 13:03

jackflash27
[www.bol.com]

Also available in Deluxe edition. From bol.com: "The deluxe edition of Blue And Lonesome contains the complete album, a hardcover book and 5 artprints."

No track list yet...

On the link now there is nothing mentioned about a (hardcover) book.
[www.bol.com]

Posted by: elvisloose ()
Date: October 5, 2016 13:27

The Rolling Stones
Blue and Lonesome
CD

The Rolling Stones
Blue and Lonesome
2 LP

The Rolling Stones
Blue and Lonesome
Ltd Deluxe Box

Hi,
release is 02.12. for CD / LP / Box

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: October 5, 2016 13:39

YES!!! That's good news. I didn't thought that it would happen with a brand new Stones-album again...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: October 5, 2016 13:59

Yeah!! Only been 11 years since ABB; genuinely delighted to be on the cusp of a brand new Stones album smiling smiley

Posted by: MrEcho ()
Date: October 5, 2016 14:38

This could be really great. Jagger's unreleased blues album was fantastic, so why shouldn't this be, too?

I love the fact that they are highlighting the great Little Walter with both the first single (apparently) and the album title. Credit where credit is due. Little Walter, criminally underrated and forgotten by the mainstream, thus gets the exposure he deserves. The fact that Little Walter was inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame as a "sideman" was an insult. Yes, his harmonica playing on other people's records is great, but it is not his greatest achievement. He recorded over 100 songs (all great) for Chess as a band leader. He wrote the songs, he sang the songs, he arranged them, he lead the band and he played the harmonica. He was a good guitar player, too. His greatest achievement is the creation of those over 100 recorded sides for Chess. The creation of a visionary, modern sound. The Rolling Stones put Little Walter where he belongs – center stage.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: October 5, 2016 14:50

MrEcho
This could be really great. Jagger's unreleased blues album was fantastic, so why shouldn't this be, too?

I love the fact that they are highlighting the great Little Walter with both the first single (apparently) and the album title. Credit where credit is due. Little Walter, criminally underrated and forgotten by the mainstream, thus gets the exposure he deserves. The fact that Little Walter was inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame as a "sideman" was an insult. Yes, his harmonica playing on other people's records is great, but it is not his greatest achievement. He recorded over 100 songs (all great) for Chess as a band leader. He wrote the songs, he sang the songs, he arranged them, he lead the band and he played the harmonica. He was a good guitar player, too. His greatest achievement is the creation of those over 100 recorded sides for Chess. The creation of a visionary, modern sound. The Rolling Stones put Little Walter where he belongs – center stage.

A big thumbs up

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: October 5, 2016 14:56

Silver Dagger
Wow - so we have a name now and two tracks. But is that gonna be the cover? Oh dear. Nice work jackflash27.

No way that's gonna be the cover.

Never thought I'd be excited about a new Stones release anymore, but boy, was I wrong smiling smiley

Posted by: beno ()
Date: October 5, 2016 15:23

It makes sense : a blue tongue cover for the blues album. Simple designs are sometimes the best. I quite dig it.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: October 5, 2016 15:25

Litte Walter is indeed great and by coincidence I recently watched "Cadillac Records" where he is featured with Muddy, Howlin', etc...in this story about Chess records. However I'm not sure how much of an actual "writer" he is as he wrote neither of the two LW tunes on B&L we know about, "Just Your Fool" is by Buddy Johnson and "Blue and Lonesome" is by Memphis Slim, while one of his other hits "My Babe" is by Willie Dixon ;-)

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: October 5, 2016 15:32

The Stones haven't exactly made much good album artwork during the last decades. ABB was terribly lazy in its design. But I think this looks decent. The blue(s) theme with a modern sheen or whatever.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: October 5, 2016 15:32

Exciting news. They should make the cover look vintage at least.

Date: October 5, 2016 15:45

gotdablouse
Two known tracks so far :

Little Walter's "Just Your Fool" * : [www.youtube.com] - first single [www.youtube.com]
Little Walter's "Blue and Lonesome" ** : [www.youtube.com]

Notes :
* : "inspiration" for "Cook Cook Blues" : [www.youtube.com]
** : "inspiration" for "Co*cksucker Blues" : [www.youtube.com]

...plundered my soul indeed and maybe a little more ;-)

I don't hear the CCB similarity. And the inspiration for CB could easily be from Thrill Is Gone and other minor chord blues songs.

But most importantly, there is a blues album on the way! smileys with beer

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: October 5, 2016 16:01

MrEcho

Very well put. I echo what Mr. Echo said.

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: October 5, 2016 16:18

2PM tomorrow.

Date: October 5, 2016 16:28

I'm glad they are doing a Blues album. They have always been at core a R&B band.
It's too bad that Stu couldn't be around for this one.
Wonder who is playing lead guitar on that title track. Maybe this is where Slowhand comes in.
At this point in my Stones-life I find myself looking for the very early Stones more than anything. The 68-73 tones of course rule; but those early Chess sessions, and the unreleased tracks like "Meet me in the Bottom', "Honey what's wrong", "Hi Heeled Sneakers", "Stewed & Keefed", "Diddley Daddy" "Roadrunner", "Bright Lights Big City", "Reelin & Rockin".

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314...LastNext
Current Page: 9 of 117

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1621
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home