Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6
Don Was Confirms ‘Crude, Authentic’ Blues Album
Posted by: elwoodpdowd ()
Date: September 30, 2016 06:12

Today, French outlet Le Figaro published an interview with Don Was. He said, “The album consists of covers of blues songs of Chicago. It was recorded live in the studio in just three days, with the musicians in a circle around the microphones."

Ultimate Classic Rock

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-09-30 06:13 by elwoodpdowd.

Re: Don Was Confirms ‘Crude, Authentic’ Blues Album
Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: September 30, 2016 07:58

"(Clapton) borrowed one of Keith’s guitars and started playing two songs. It was exceptional enough to see.”

Read More: Don Was Confirms ‘Crude, Authentic’ Rolling Stones Blues Album | [ultimateclassicrock.com]

Posted by: erad ()
Date: September 30, 2016 08:53

A travesty Mick Taylor wasn't involved with this. sad smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 30, 2016 09:00

GIMMIE ... Gimmie ... Gimmie a new album ... before I tie myself to the bull-bar of a Mack truck ..

ROCKMAN

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: September 30, 2016 10:35

erad

Mick Taylor hasn't been a Stone since 1974 and people still expect the band to include him in things. We should be grateful and amazed that they included him at all on those recent tours. You can't expect a band to keep inviting someone who quit four decades ago to continue participating.

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: September 30, 2016 11:14

I think it should have been MT instead of EC on the forthcoming record.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: September 30, 2016 11:17

erad

No, it's a travesty the IORR-band wasn't involved in this, I would say.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: September 30, 2016 12:02

marcovandereijk
erad

thumbs up hot smiley grinning smiley >grinning smiley< hot smiley

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: September 30, 2016 12:15

If you record a new album and invite one guitar player to participate on one or two songs who´s going to be your choice:

a) an ex-member who quit out of the blue 40 years ago and since then is a complete unknown to broader audiences

b) a legendary figure in music-business and world-wide superstar

Please stop all this moaning about MT not being with the Stones, he´s a figure of the past. He is no more a Rolling Stone. He will never be a Rolling Stone again. He will never appear on upcoming RS-albums.

Btw, I think the Stones had no plans for another guitarist participating, it just happened that EC was recording his own album at the same studio at the same time. So he just sat in for one or two tracks.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: September 30, 2016 12:55

HMS
If you record a new album and invite one guitar player to participate on one or two songs who´s going to be your choice:

a) an ex-member who quit out of the blue 40 years ago and since then is a complete unknown to broader audiences

Please stop all this moaning about MT not being with the Stones, he´s a figure of the past. He is no more a Rolling Stone. He will never be a Rolling Stone again. He will never appear on upcoming RS-albums.

Btw, I think the Stones had no plans for another guitarist participating, it just happened that EC was recording his own album at the same studio at the same time. So he just sat in for one or two tracks.

...Exactly! Who said anything about EC being "invited"? Maybe (obviouysly?) he was just 'around '... !?

The whole thing doesn't seem "planned" at àll to me -
so why 'freeze' (kill off) the moment by concerning yourself with DO's and DON'Ts, WHAT IF's and MAYBE's?!
Just play on for three days, have the occasional pizza every now & then, record the damn thing & put it out!!

I mean, they're finally doin' something spontaneous for a change... and 'we' start complaining about MICK TAYLOR not being there???
As if that guy is the ONLY guy in town who can play the blues?!?
And because of his mere four-five years with the band, the rest of the guys have lost àll prerogative to play with anyone else!!??

Come ón.

Feel free & more than welcome to stick around, erad, MKjan 'et all '; don't leave on my account.
But I guess there's a place where you'll feel more comfortable posting; and that one's right HERE - [iorr.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-09-30 13:08 by RoughJusticeOnYa.

Posted by: perosand ()
Date: September 30, 2016 13:14

One time a President always a President
One time a Rolling Stone always a Rolling Stone !

Perry Blocker Sand

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: September 30, 2016 13:20

I don't think Keith [or anybody else] could have persuaded Mick to "plan" a blues album in a million years.

If you ask me, it could only have happened by accident

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: September 30, 2016 13:48

HMS

And besides...when it comes to raw, crude, authentic blues, I feel pretty confident that Keith Richards and Ron Wood can deliver. Adding Clapton is a nice touch but I'm sure it would be some good music without him.

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: September 30, 2016 15:10

HonkeyTonkFlash
erad

Mick Taylor hasn't been a Stone since 1974...

eggzactly, and not before '69 either.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: September 30, 2016 15:28

Cannot wait! And I am going to use the word
BRILLIANT because yes, this concept, grist, change-up, no Was (no offense) IS
^ exceptionally clever (meaning of brilliant)
Thank you
Rolling Stones
the greatest and the classiest

Date: September 30, 2016 15:30

HonkeyTonkFlash
HMS

And besides...when it comes to raw, crude, authentic blues, I feel pretty confident that Keith Richards and Ron Wood can deliver. Adding Clapton is a nice touch but I'm sure it would be some good music without him.

thumbs up

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: September 30, 2016 15:38

35love
Thank you
Rolling Stones

What do you mean , no Was..?? he produced it !!
Jeroen

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: September 30, 2016 15:40

"Raw, crude, authentic blues"

And Clapton plays on it? confused smiley

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: September 30, 2016 15:50

corriecas
35love
Thank you
Rolling Stones

Jeroen

*but all around mic, nothing else, nothing but instruments and voice, no?
No Was. No adding. No sound problem. All captured live. No backs.
That's what I say.
Sounds like no Was.
No added opinions or talking about it.
Just the action baby.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-09-30 15:52 by 35love.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: September 30, 2016 16:03

marcovandereijk
erad

Never gonna happen. Mick's been watching the Periscope feed, Stop Breaking Down scared his pants off. It would be Rock and Roll Circus all over again. grinning smiley

Date: September 30, 2016 16:10

SomeTorontoGirl
marcovandereijk
erad

Never gonna happen. Mick's been watching the Periscope feed, Stop Breaking Down scared his pants off. It would be Rock and Roll Circus all over again. grinning smiley

LOL!

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: September 30, 2016 16:33

RE: how unlikely it was to convince Mick to do a blues album...

May 1992, Mick cuts 14 blues sides with The Red Devils and states:

"The blues sides were cut with the Red Devils, a band signed to Def American. I used to go see them Monday nights at the King King Club in L.A. and I sung with them a couple of times. We did one whole day of 14 blues sides. Some obscure, some not. We don't know if we're going to put them out. We just did them for fun... You go in and out of these things. You think, I know it, I've heard it, it's all in my head. I don't need to put records on. It's different when you're actually playing it or seeing it - that's something else. Listening to blues records sometimes gets to be a bit... But sometimes you go back to it and you say, Wow, this is really great. Especially buying a new collection of something like old spiritual singers that I used to like when I was a teenager that I'd forgotten. God knows they're pretty heavy and dark. You come back to that and it gives you a bit of a chill. If you go in and buy records that you haven't heard in a very long time you can get back into it. Playing and singing it - especially with bands like the Red Devils who are a real blues band, they only play blues - you get a sense of, Wow, I was there. When I was 19 that's what I used to do - just play this music. That was all I did!"

June 1992, Mick organizes and headlines a blues festival in the UK and states:

"National Music Day is a celebration of music they have in France and other countries and we did one in England. My contribution musically was to do this blues evening, which I did with the Gary Moore Blues Band as house band. We had Pops Staples, who's not really thought of as a blues performer at all, but going way back he really was... And we had Buddy Guy and Jimmy Rogers who used to play with Muddy Waters, and Otis Rush. And Ronnie Wood, of course, the famous blues guitarist... It was quite a good evening all in all. I did a short set with Gary Moore. We did numbers by Sonny Boy Williamson, Z.Z. Hill, we did Who Do You Love by Bo Diddley. It was a really good evening. I hadn't done anything like that for a while."

July 2001, Mick states: "I would love to do a blues record, and I think a blues record would be very good to do with the Rolling Stones. But I'd also like to do a blues record on my own. The songwriting limitations upon the blues are rather too much of a structure, you know, and that's a real forced-into-a-corner kind of style. It's difficult to be forward-looking in that genre, and that's a really tough one."

September 2011, Mick states: "(I've been) writing loads of these 12-bar blues songs, so I'm looking forward to doing something more in that vein."

February 2012, Mick headlines RED, WHITE, and BLUES at The White House.

I think it's safe to say Mick has toyed with the idea of a blues album off and on for 25 years. This wasn't a spontaneous decision. It's something Mick Jagger, that Peter Pan slave to fashion as we're constantly reminded, has wanted to do for a long time. STRIPPED can be seen as a stepping stone to it as well.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 30, 2016 16:33

If it is truly a raw blues album, I think it will be great.

But..... here are a few things that could mess it up:

1. Clapton playing more than Keith and Ronnie.

2. Don overproducing it.

3. If it is a "return to blues" in name only ala Rod's last 10 "I'm getting back to mandolins and acoustics" albums.

Also, I'd love a couple of (bluesy) originals with the standards.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: September 30, 2016 16:40

35love
corriecas
35love
Thank you
Rolling Stones

Jeroen

*but all around mic, nothing else, nothing but instruments and voice, no?
No Was. No adding. No sound problem. All captured live. No backs.
That's what I say.
Sounds like no Was.
No added opinions or talking about it.
Just the action baby.

If that happens, it will be a Great Album.
Jeroen

Date: September 30, 2016 16:53

Rocky Dijon
RE: how unlikely it was to convince Mick to do a blues album...

May 1992, Mick cuts 14 blues sides with The Red Devils and states:

"The blues sides were cut with the Red Devils, a band signed to Def American. I used to go see them Monday nights at the King King Club in L.A. and I sung with them a couple of times. We did one whole day of 14 blues sides. Some obscure, some not. We don't know if we're going to put them out. We just did them for fun... You go in and out of these things. You think, I know it, I've heard it, it's all in my head. I don't need to put records on. It's different when you're actually playing it or seeing it - that's something else. Listening to blues records sometimes gets to be a bit... But sometimes you go back to it and you say, Wow, this is really great. Especially buying a new collection of something like old spiritual singers that I used to like when I was a teenager that I'd forgotten. God knows they're pretty heavy and dark. You come back to that and it gives you a bit of a chill. If you go in and buy records that you haven't heard in a very long time you can get back into it. Playing and singing it - especially with bands like the Red Devils who are a real blues band, they only play blues - you get a sense of, Wow, I was there. When I was 19 that's what I used to do - just play this music. That was all I did!"

June 1992, Mick organizes and headlines a blues festival in the UK and states:

"National Music Day is a celebration of music they have in France and other countries and we did one in England. My contribution musically was to do this blues evening, which I did with the Gary Moore Blues Band as house band. We had Pops Staples, who's not really thought of as a blues performer at all, but going way back he really was... And we had Buddy Guy and Jimmy Rogers who used to play with Muddy Waters, and Otis Rush. And Ronnie Wood, of course, the famous blues guitarist... It was quite a good evening all in all. I did a short set with Gary Moore. We did numbers by Sonny Boy Williamson, Z.Z. Hill, we did Who Do You Love by Bo Diddley. It was a really good evening. I hadn't done anything like that for a while."

July 2001, Mick states: "I would love to do a blues record, and I think a blues record would be very good to do with the Rolling Stones. But I'd also like to do a blues record on my own. The songwriting limitations upon the blues are rather too much of a structure, you know, and that's a real forced-into-a-corner kind of style. It's difficult to be forward-looking in that genre, and that's a really tough one."

September 2011, Mick states: "(I've been) writing loads of these 12-bar blues songs, so I'm looking forward to doing something more in that vein."

February 2012, Mick headlines RED, WHITE, and BLUES at The White House.

I think it's safe to say Mick has toyed with the idea of a blues album off and on for 25 years. This wasn't a spontaneous decision. It's something Mick Jagger, that Peter Pan slave to fashion as we're constantly reminded, has wanted to do for a long time. STRIPPED can be seen as a stepping stone to it as well.

Looks like I'm totally wrong then.
...Which I'm actually very glad about grinning smiley

Date: September 30, 2016 17:10

The band in a circle playing the blues in a studio with Eric "slow hand " Clapton sitting in on a few songs. Then throw in Mick on the harmonica.

Nothing could screw this up....this will be as good as it gets.

And what I have waiting for ..for a long long time.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: September 30, 2016 17:36

jumpontopofmebaby
The band in a circle playing the blues in a studio with Eric "slow hand " Clapton sitting in on a few songs. Then throw in Mick on the harmonica.

Nothing could screw this up....this will be as good as it gets.

And what I have waiting for ..for a long long time.

Agreed. Not only am I looking forward to this but I'm already hoping for the expanded version to be released with a dvd of the sessions. I mean, the album is going to have +/- 12-15 tunes on it. Yet they supposedly recorded over the course of three days. How many other tunes did they play? How many alternate versions of the same tunes? Yeah, sign me up for the expanded version, outtakes and bootlegs of those three days. I'd put that right up there with any recordings of the jam sessions that Keith organized with Bill back in 2012 ('11?) on my list of Holy Grail recordings.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: September 30, 2016 17:59

erad

It's a travesty Mick Taylor was disillusioned by the music biz and stopped recording albums. An authentic blues album by him would be absolutely stunning. He could have some younger collaborators that admire him like Slash and some different vocalists (Jagger perhaps) if he didn't want to sing on everything. Hell, I'd record him for free!

I don't blame the Stones for not including him. He garnered so much attention during the recent tours that maybe there was some jealousy.

Posted by: frenki09 ()
Date: September 30, 2016 19:54

Elmo Lewis
If it is truly a raw blues album, I think it will be great.

But..... here are a few things that could mess it up:

1. Clapton playing more than Keith and Ronnie.

2. Don overproducing it.

3. If it is a "return to blues" in name only ala Rod's last 10 "I'm getting back to mandolins and acoustics" albums.

Also, I'd love a couple of (bluesy) originals with the standards.

I just can't stand anything he has done (Dylan, Nelson, Black Crowes etc), and I was hoping they would get someone new for this album who could get the boys out of their comfort zone, not to do something new, but to do something that is less bombastic. Bigger Bang is the worst Stones album. Overproduced, in-your-face, very loud and full, weak songs that feel like outtakes...

There was a time when Jack White's name was quite often mentioned as a possible producer... That would have been interesting...

Unfortunately Don Was is still not past tense.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 30, 2016 20:00

Claptons's virtuoso blues guitar playing will raise the level of the tune(s) he plays on to an extremely higher level.
Would have been nice to have Mick Taylor on board, but when it comes to pure nitty gritty blues playing, Clapton is the right man for the job.

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1579
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home