Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112
Current Page: 12 of 12
Re: The Rolling Stones gig at the Bellagio Las Vegas Oct 3 reports
Date: October 7, 2016 12:32

IMO the Stones played the right setlist for this corporate type gig. These are obviously not Stones fans, and will only want to 'hear' the most-played hits.
I think frustration from posters sets in because the band has been doing that very setlist at all PREVIOUS gigs too. At shows where they had more than enough leeway to add deep cuts, to experiment.
I hope, that maybe the Stones had to return some kind of favor to someone, and this is why they did this disgrace of a gig. I can't help think of a time when the Stones would have turned this kind of employment down; and thrown in a middle finger.

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: October 7, 2016 12:41

They were always going to play somewhere prior to Desert Trip today...they were never going to go in "cold" to such a prestige high profile concert. I don't see it as "disgraceful" lets face it everyone at their concerts now is a bank manager or similar. From the photos it does seem as though this crowd was still in their suits and ties but it was a concert at a convention.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: October 7, 2016 12:41

but what can a poor boy do....

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: October 7, 2016 13:55

Keith playing during Satisfaction is not really reassuring. And how Chuck is high in the mix !!!

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: October 7, 2016 16:31

Palace Revolution 2000
IMO the Stones played the right setlist for this corporate type gig. These are obviously not Stones fans, and will only want to 'hear' the most-played hits.
I think frustration from posters sets in because the band has been doing that very setlist at all PREVIOUS gigs too. At shows where they had more than enough leeway to add deep cuts, to experiment.
I hope, that maybe the Stones had to return some kind of favor to someone, and this is why they did this disgrace of a gig. I can't help think of a time when the Stones would have turned this kind of employment down; and thrown in a middle finger.

That was decades ago. Why is getting paid by a corp. for a rehearsal any more of a disgrace than charging what they do for tickets? They wanted a rehearsal and getting a big corp. to give them a few million is more attractive than an actual pre-tour club gig for fans. And the setlist for this crowd is the same as for their shows, the hits that the vast vast majority of fans at any show want to hear and the hits that they play at every show. So they rehearse what they are going to play. No disgrace here, just reality.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: October 7, 2016 21:02

alimente
jambay,

I was just joking. There was no secret message between the lines... I share your comments about the shows, though. Nowadays it's more about the format than the actual content, see also "Havana Moon". But the blues album is at least ...something. Just like the vault releases though, it comes years too late to generate a huge buzz outside loyal fans circles. I know a lot of people of my age who have left the "Stones building" in recent years already, they just don't take them serious anymore, comparable maybe to as how I see the Beach Boys (although their anniversary album was quite good!) - still alive and touring, but nothing left to say. I think it's also noticable on this board, lots of good people gone who were always open to interesting discussions. I see why their audience is getting smaller, and not only for demographic reasons! They counter that with lesser gigs (also due to their age, to be fair) and higher ticket prices, and financially it all works out for them in the end. Corporate gigs like this one just fit the general scheme of things now, I'm afraid.

i agree- you said something that struck me as very true,alot of people don't take the stones seriously anymore.
on previous tours the question was do you have enough money?if you had the means you paid and went to the shows and didn't question it.

with these vegas shows i had the money to buy any tickets i wanted,fly in and see the show like always-but something happened,i told myself "this isn't a $750 dollar a ticket show,the stones just aren't that good or interesting to spend a couple thousand bucks anymore".
i found myself kind of laughing at them..changing times for sure.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: October 7, 2016 21:32

Yes the main problem remains the live prestations... And the weak and often appaling guitar playing now... Quite sad end IMO.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-07 21:35 by powerage78.

Date: October 8, 2016 02:22

Rokyfan
Palace Revolution 2000

That was decades ago. Why is getting paid by a corp. for a rehearsal any more of a disgrace than charging what they do for tickets? They wanted a rehearsal and getting a big corp. to give them a few million is more attractive than an actual pre-tour club gig for fans. And the setlist for this crowd is the same as for their shows, the hits that the vast vast majority of fans at any show want to hear and the hits that they play at every show. So they rehearse what they are going to play. No disgrace here, just reality.
True; that was decades ago. And I am very much aware that the Stones today, are not 25 year olds, high on dope, cruising through the land. Still - there are lines that do not fade with age; lines that IMO one should not cross. And I don't buy this; that it's ALL a young man's game. Neil Young, Springsteen, Nick Cave, Tom waits stand firm by their principles. I don't know...by saying that they charge an arm and a leg for tickets nowadays, isn't that just even more reason for them not to do a rehearsal gig for millions, but to throw it for their fans?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112
Current Page: 12 of 12

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1811
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home