Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Desert Trip CA USA 2016 show and travel info
Posted by: bv ()
Date: September 29, 2016 17:01

This thread is dedicated to Desert Trip California USA 2016 show and travel info, meeting up with other fans and so on.

The Rolling Stones Fall 2016 mini tour : [iorr.org]

LA rehearsals : [iorr.org]

Stones, Dylan and McCartney to play Coachella : [iorr.org]

Desert Trip official site : [deserttrip.com]

Bjornulf

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2016-09-29 17:52 by bv.

Re: Desert Trip CA USA 2016 show and travel info
Posted by: Walapino ()
Date: September 29, 2016 19:28

Cant wait!!spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: Icetraders ()
Date: September 29, 2016 20:24

It's almost here!!!!!! smileys with beer

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: September 29, 2016 20:45

I started packing last night

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: September 29, 2016 22:00

Mick is asking what you want to hear:

[twitter.com]

Date: September 29, 2016 22:01

SOMEONE PLEASE TELL HIM WHAT WE DON'T WANT TO HEAR!

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: September 29, 2016 22:25

Koen
Mick is asking what you want to hear:

[twitter.com]

eye rolling smiley

Date: September 29, 2016 22:26

I wonder what the total budget for this entire project is, including tickets and payments for six bands, 90,000 people staying at sky rocket hotel prices around us dollars 500 per night, flights, travel, beers and food etc. This must be on of the the highest budget music entertainment projects ever.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 29, 2016 22:27

At least he's playing some blues...or trying to. winking smiley
We might get something 'new' at Desert Trip!

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: September 29, 2016 23:09

"What songs do you want to hear?"- casually plays Miss You on guitar >grinning smiley<

Edit: There's a slightly longer version of the video in the Stones app.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-09-29 23:14 by MonkeyMan2000.

Posted by: Harpo ()
Date: September 30, 2016 02:12

The following is posted on the Red Rocks site:

September 28, 2016

Amphitheatre Closure for Private Event:

Due to a private event, access to the amphitheatre will be closed to the public beginning Wednesday, September 28th at 5:00 PM. We will reopen on Thursday, September 29th from 8:00AM until 5:00PM. The Trading post, park trails and Visitor Center will not be affected. Please plan your visit accordingly.

Wow! Did we miss a private Stones show? The 28th and 29th of this month have been open all summer on the Red Rocks site. Anyone on here live within earshot of the amphitheatre? Probably something else going on anyway. Just wishing and dreaming.

Fred. What do you think?

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: September 30, 2016 03:55

bv
I wonder what the total budget for this entire project is, including tickets and payments for six bands, 90,000 people staying at sky rocket hotel prices around us dollars 500 per night, flights, travel, beers and food etc. This must be on of the the highest budget music entertainment projects ever.

I am staying at $60 per night about an hour away.

plexi

Posted by: 2014Slayer ()
Date: September 30, 2016 04:12

timbernardis
bv

plexi

We are staying at a hotel in Beaumont, so not far away, and not expensive atvall.

Posted by: Amyl Nitrate ()
Date: September 30, 2016 05:58

bv

"could cost $100 million to stage ... deliberately paying the performers a premium given the historic nature of the lineup" from [www.nytimes.com]

Posted by: Iguanamom ()
Date: September 30, 2016 07:09

We went by the Empire Polo Field today to scope things out & get our bearings. It was HOT -100f. We're car camping on site for convenience & cost savings (already into it for $2400!) & I was kind of stressing about it. Crowds, heat, logistics. But on our way home, the most glorious double rainbow graced the sky. I take that as a positive omen & temps should drop by 10 degrees the 1st weekend. But I'm buying a portable mister & planning as many cool daytime activities as we can think of. This is gonna be EPIC! See you there!

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: September 30, 2016 08:10

Iguanamom
... temps should drop by 10 degrees the 1st weekend.

For those of us who use Celsius, that equates to highs of 33 to 35, and lows of 17 to 19. Good times.

[weather.com]

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: September 30, 2016 13:00

Dont know if the latest Micks post on fb fits here or in the new blues album thread

a photo of a case full of guitars, the dida reads: "Rehearsing something new"

thumbs up

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: September 30, 2016 17:27

Amyl Nitrate
bv

"could cost $100 million to stage ... deliberately paying the performers a premium given the historic nature of the lineup" from [www.nytimes.com]

I have read reports Led Zeppelin were offered 15M usd to join the bill.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: September 30, 2016 17:36

maumau
Dont know if the latest Micks post on fb fits here or in the new blues album thread

a photo of a case full of guitars, the dida reads: "Rehearsing something new"

thumbs up

"Rehearsing something new" must fit. They are rehearsing for the concert.

Hopefully they will then play "something new". It could be understood as "new songs" or "new old songs to the set-list". smileys with beer

Date: September 30, 2016 17:46

timbernardis
bv

plexi

Do you plan to walk for an hour? Or drive for an hour? I hear parking cost A LOT, like parking a travel van cost $1,000, but may be it is just $100 if you walk a bit... By the way an hour driving away will probably be several hours with traffic. When 90,000 people are moving in & out. Just by experience. I remember we spent 3-4 hours from downtown LA to Anaheim, when the Stones played there. But may be Indio is perfect for traffic.

Bjornulf

Posted by: artedm ()
Date: September 30, 2016 19:13

BV
Day Parking is FREE
If you have a $1700 3 day pass you get a FREE platinum parking pass.
[deserttrip.com]

Also car camping- camp next to your car for three or four nights starting Thursday is $100 for the weekend.
Which is a lot cheaper then hotels and is a very common thing for coachella festival
[deserttrip.com]

Date: September 30, 2016 19:28

Best bet? (via [deserttrip.com])

Many attendees bike to the show. There are numerous locations in the Coachella Valley to rent bicycles. Click here for some suggestions. Find the bike rack self-parking lots on the show map. Park at your own risk. Do not lock your bike against an opening/closing of a fenced area or it will be considered permanently surrendered and disposed of.

Date: September 30, 2016 19:49

Will you be at either of the Desert Trip shows Bjornulf?

Thanks to this site (or was it a Neil Young or Pink Floyd site?), I was aware of the early rumours regarding Desert Trip weekend 1 (and then wknd 2)- well before any official announcement.

For weekend 1, I have a room booked at Embassy Suites about 10 miles away for apprx. $115/night before they sold out and/or prices inflated. And as it happens, a shuttle stop is right next door to where I am staying so I purchased a 3 day pass for $25 + fees. As for the second show, I booked a nice room at Indian Wells Country Club one mile away walking distance.for apprx. $115/night...again before they sold out or inflated their prices.

As for traffic in the Desert, perhaps on the first day it might be a bit messy, but will be nothing like driving from L.A. to Anaheim during rush hour. Many people are coming in a day before on Thursday, many will be settling into campgrounds or hotels, and many will be using the designated shuttle stops situated everywhere in the area. I think it was Woz who posted a link to all the shuttle stops in the other thread, but here it is again. Desert Shuttle

There's lots of pertinent info. in that other thread (price drops, meetups, shuttles, setlists, etc.,) which maybe should have been a sticky thread itself, so thanks for adding the link to it in your first post in this thread. Stones, Dylan and McCartney to play Coachella

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-09-30 19:50 by Hairball.

Posted by: artedm ()
Date: October 1, 2016 05:37

The coachella maps will give you a good idea on the experience

[www.coachella.com]

Posted by: jimpietryga1 ()
Date: October 1, 2016 07:00

DeanGoodman
Iguanamom
... temps should drop by 10 degrees the 1st weekend.

For those of us who use Celsius, that equates to highs of 33 to 35, and lows of 17 to 19. Good times.

[weather.com]

So, you are coming???

Date: October 1, 2016 08:42

jimpietryga1

So, you are coming???

Depends what´s on the telly.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: October 2, 2016 13:31

Roger Waters setlist (from setlist.fm) from yesterday's free concert in Mexico City. Looks like old misery guts is giving a pretty good show although I wish he would play some of Amused to Death. Such a great record.

Speak to Me
Breathe
Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun
One of These Days
Time
Breathe (Reprise)
The Great Gig in the Sky
Money
Us and Them
Fearless
Intermission
(You'll Never Walk Alone)
Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Parts I-V)
Welcome to the Machine
Have a Cigar
Wish You Were Here
Intermission
(Sirens intro; Battersea Power… more )
Pigs on the Wing 1
Pigs on the Wing 2
Dogs
Pigs (Three Different Ones)
The Happiest Days of Our Lives
Another Brick in the Wall Part 2
Mother
Run Like Hell
Brain Damage
Eclipse
Encore:
Comfortably Numb

Date: October 2, 2016 19:00

crholmstrom
Roger Waters setlist (from setlist.fm) from yesterday's free concert in Mexico City. Looks like old misery guts is giving a pretty good show although I wish he would play some of Amused to Death. Such a great record.

The fact that he's playing One of These Days and Fearless (the latter having never been played live by Floyd, Gilmour, or Roger), along with the select cuts from Animals (some of which haven't been played by any of them live since '77), I'd say that more than makes up for not playing a few cuts from Amused to Death - which is indeed a great album but doesnt quite fit with the grand scheme of his current concept. And if you've seen any videos of those the three Mexico City shows (the massive screen/special effects, etc.), you might agree this is above and beyond 'a pretty good show'.

Regarding this five show 'mini tour' (Mexico City x 3, Desert Trip x 2), Roger just recently stated that 'this is it' as far as this particular production and setlist is concerned. He will then be going on tour next year with a new album and a new production, but whether or not some of this 'mini tour' production will be incorporated into it is unknown. According to a friend of a band member, he will scale it down for arenas, focus more on his solo career, and include some of the Pink Floyd stuff he'd written (see setlist you posted). It's been stated in some reviews that the Mexico shows are basically a 'warm-up' for the Desert Trip shows, but from what I've read, seen, and heard they are fantastic on their own merit. Amazing to think he would put all the time and effort into such a massive production for just five shows, but I suppose he's thinking of his closing sets at Desert Trip and wants to go out with a gigantic BANG leaving a lasting impression on not only Pink Floyd fans, but also the general masses that will be in attendance.

Are you attending any of the Desert Trips shows crholmstrom?

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: October 2, 2016 22:17

Hairball
Will you be at either of the Desert Trip shows Bjornulf?

Thanks to this site (or was it a Neil Young or Pink Floyd site?), I was aware of the early rumours regarding Desert Trip weekend 1 (and then wknd 2)- well before any official announcement.

For weekend 1, I have a room booked at Embassy Suites about 10 miles away for apprx. $115/night before they sold out and/or prices inflated. And as it happens, a shuttle stop is right next door to where I am staying so I purchased a 3 day pass for $25 + fees. As for the second show, I booked a nice room at Indian Wells Country Club one mile away walking distance.for apprx. $115/night...again before they sold out or inflated their prices.

As for traffic in the Desert, perhaps on the first day it might be a bit messy, but will be nothing like driving from L.A. to Anaheim during rush hour. Many people are coming in a day before on Thursday, many will be settling into campgrounds or hotels, and many will be using the designated shuttle stops situated everywhere in the area. I think it was Woz who posted a link to all the shuttle stops in the other thread, but here it is again. Desert Shuttle

There's lots of pertinent info. in that other thread (price drops, meetups, shuttles, setlists, etc.,) which maybe should have been a sticky thread itself, so thanks for adding the link to it in your first post in this thread. Stones, Dylan and McCartney to play Coachella

Hairball - your shuttle stops link took me to google mail, then when I tried to sign in, I got this message: We are sorry, but you do not have access to this service. Can you try reposting?

plexi

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: October 2, 2016 22:26

Hairball
crholmstrom

The fact that he's playing One of These Days and Fearless (the latter having never been played live by Floyd, Gilmour, or Roger), along with the select cuts from Animals (some of which haven't been played by any of them live since '77), I'd say that more than makes up for not playing a few cuts from Amused to Death - which is indeed a great album but doesnt quite fit with the grand scheme of his current concept. And if you've seen any videos of those the three Mexico City shows (the massive screen/special effects, etc.), you might agree this is above and beyond 'a pretty good show'.

Regarding this five show 'mini tour' (Mexico City x 3, Desert Trip x 2), Roger just recently stated that 'this is it' as far as this particular production and setlist is concerned. He will then be going on tour next year with a new album and a new production, but whether or not some of this 'mini tour' production will be incorporated into it is unknown. According to a friend of a band member, he will scale it down for arenas, focus more on his solo career, and include some of the Pink Floyd stuff he'd written (see setlist you posted). It's been stated in some reviews that the Mexico shows are basically a 'warm-up' for the Desert Trip shows, but from what I've read, seen, and heard they are fantastic on their own merit. Amazing to think he would put all the time and effort into such a massive production for just five shows, but I suppose he's thinking of his closing sets at Desert Trip and wants to go out with a gigantic BANG leaving a lasting impression on not only Pink Floyd fans, but also the general masses that will be in attendance.

Are you attending any of the Desert Trips shows crholmstrom?

I wish. I would definitely like to see Roger & Neil Young. I've seen everyone else but the Stones recently & I saw them on 50 & Counting. It was just too expensive for me & health wise would be too much. I passed on the Stones in Vegas too because of the ticket prices. I'll go if they play closer to Seattle at some point but I'm not sure that's going to happen. I've seen plenty of good Stones shows. I like Roger is doing a production. All of those bands are being well paid but he cares enough about the fans to give some back. I met him once when he wasn't in too good a place but he was nice to me. Hope you have fun!

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1401
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home