Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Track Talk: 2120 South Michigan Avenue
Date: September 28, 2016 20:58

You sure about Memphis features the whole band?

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: September 28, 2016 21:04

DandelionPowderman
You sure about Memphis features the whole band?

Nope, just going by what Zentgraf says:
641002A 2nd October: THE ANDREW OLDHAM ORCHESTRA.
LP '16 Hip Hits' (Ace Of Clubs ACL 1180). Producer: Andrew Oldham.
Musical Director: John Paul Jones. Recorded in London, probably in February
and/or March in about five days.
- Needles And Pins (Jack Nitzsche/Sonny Bono) -KR on guitar
- Blowin’ In The Wind (Bob Dylan)
- I Don’t Know What To Do With Myself (Burt Bacharach/Hal David) -KR on guitar
- La Bamba (Trad. arr.: Andrew Oldham)
- Then He Kissed Me (Phil Spector/Ellie Greenwich/Jeff Barry)
- Do Wah Diddy Diddy (Ellie Greenwich/Jeff Barry)
- I Want To Hold Your Hand (John Lennon/Paul McCartney) -KR on guitar
- My Boy Lollipop (Johnny Roberts/Morris Levy)
- Da Doo Ron Ron (Phil Spector/Ellie Greenwich/Jeff Barry) -MJ on vocals
- Memphis, Tennessee (Chuck Berry) -jam with Stones participating
- You’re No Good (Russ Ballard) -KR on guitar
- The Rise Of The Brighton Surf (Andrew Oldham/Kim Fowley)
- The Lonely Rocker (Andrew Oldham)
- Theme For A Mod’s Summer Night Dream (Andrew Oldham)
- I Wanna Be Your Man (John Lennon/Paul McCartney)
- Chapel Of Love (Phil Spector/Ellie Greenwich/Jeff Barry)
Note: Stones-participation on all unmarked songs possible but not for sure.
According to Andrew Oldham also BW, CW & STU are on the album.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-09-29 12:57 by Deltics.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: September 28, 2016 21:05

George Thorogood did a nice cover:

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-09-28 21:05 by bleedingman.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: September 28, 2016 21:12

DandelionPowderman
NICOS
DandelionPowderman
drewmaster
Blueranger
NICOS
Well officially we are finished with Rene’s list of totally of 357 songs started 18th of August 2008...thanks again Rene for you effort on this I know you had a lot of work to do this.

And I want to thank Green Lady for the great Tracking Cookie Index: [iorr.org] ................

Next week I will start with the missing songs of Metamorphosis.........after that I assume the new record is released grinning smiley

What songs are missing?

Then I should have done my homework better grinning smiley I will check it out later and add them.................

"Each and Everyday of the Year"
"I'd Much Rather Be With the Boys"
"Some Things Just Stick in Your Mind"
"Try a Little Harder"
"(Walkin' Thru The) Sleepy City"
"We're Wastin' Time"

Drew

If I'm not mistaken, Da Doo Ron Ron and Memphis Tennessee are missing as well.

Drew is right that are the ones..............I'm not sure about Da Doo Ron Ron to me this is a solo song/attempt...........
And Memphis Tennessee are only available as bootleg never released officially..........maybe the next step to discuss

Both were officially released on The Rest Of The Best.

All those songs were intended for other artists, and it's mostly Mick and other musicians.

So, the two songs I mentioned are in the same category as the Metamorphosis-tracks.

Date: September 29, 2016 00:54

rootsman
Palace Revolution 2000
But there is another version. With two guitars. We had a discussion about this years ago. About who would be playing the harp; if it was Jagger.

Yes, on the BBC version Mick (most likely) is playing harmonica, with Brian and Keith on guitars. Not nearly as great harmonica as on the studio recording...

Thank you Rootsman. I thought it was one of the live-ish versions.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: September 29, 2016 06:43

(Back to 2120 Sth Michigan Avenue)

FWIW my understanding has always been that the 'short' version only existed because of the then problems of having an artist from one label appear on the recordings of an artist on another.

FWIW my understanding was that the ending was cut off because the lead guitar was Muddy Waters (it sounds to me more like Muddy's style than anything Keith was capable of at the time). Muddy = Chess, Stones = Decca, so not allowed at the time.

FWIW I've always guessed that the 'whoop' Mick gives at the start of the cut off segment was delight at The Great Man sitting in with The Rolling Stones.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: lukpac ()
Date: September 30, 2016 08:00

CaptainCorella

FWIW my understanding has always been that the 'short' version only existed because of the then problems of having an artist from one label appear on the recordings of an artist on another.

FWIW my understanding was that the ending was cut off because the lead guitar was Muddy Waters (it sounds to me more like Muddy's style than anything Keith was capable of at the time). Muddy = Chess, Stones = Decca, so not allowed at the time.

FWIW I've always guessed that the 'whoop' Mick gives at the start of the cut off segment was delight at The Great Man sitting in with The Rolling Stones.

I'm pretty sure it was simply faded because there's limited space on a 45, and even with the fade that side was about 7 minutes, which is pushing it.

As far as Muddy goes, there only seems to be one guitar on the track. It plays rhythm for most of the song, then switches to the solo, then switches back to rhythm. If Muddy played the solo, he played on the whole song, so the legal argument goes out the window anyway.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: September 30, 2016 12:25

Nice song.
I like these early 60's solos, some rapid sequence of notes followed by a break. Most of their solos used to be like that, I wonder why that kind of solo-ing disappeared completely.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: September 30, 2016 17:54

lukpac
CaptainCorella

I'm pretty sure it was simply faded because there's limited space on a 45, and even with the fade that side was about 7 minutes, which is pushing it.

As far as Muddy goes, there only seems to be one guitar on the track. It plays rhythm for most of the song, then switches to the solo, then switches back to rhythm. If Muddy played the solo, he played on the whole song, so the legal argument goes out the window anyway.

Interesting that on the live BBC Sessions version ( [www.youtube.com] ) which is unquestionably Keith, the guitar solo is nothing like the Chess version... May be it was Muddy after all.

Date: September 30, 2016 18:41

Green Lady
Interesting that on the live BBC Sessions version ( [www.youtube.com] ) which is unquestionably Keith, the guitar solo is nothing like the Chess version... May be it was Muddy after all.

I suppose it's not impossible, but it seems unlikely to me that Keith wouldn't be on the studio version at all.

Date: September 30, 2016 18:59

Keith never played the same solo as on the studio versions live on other songs, either.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: September 30, 2016 21:54

lukpac
Green Lady

I suppose it's not impossible, but it seems unlikely to me that Keith wouldn't be on the studio version at all.

Somebody is playing short sharp rhythmic chords along with the organ from the beginning - that's Keith. Then the rhythm guitar stops around two minutes in, and the solo begins.

Date: October 3, 2016 04:58

Green Lady
lukpac
Green Lady

Somebody is playing short sharp rhythmic chords along with the organ from the beginning - that's Keith. Then the rhythm guitar stops around two minutes in, and the solo begins.

That's my point. If Keith and Muddy were both on the track, presumably Keith would have continued playing rhythm through the solo. But the only guitar in the solo is the one playing the solo, there's no rhythm.

Posted by: deardoctortake1 ()
Date: October 3, 2016 05:31

Also played live on Ed Sullivan 1965, as we recently discovered on the DVD release.

Posted by: dadrob ()
Date: October 4, 2016 00:09

keith is the only guitar AND the song is a direct and full Rip off of Sly Stone's tune Buttermilk.

well except Sly says Buttermilk a couple of times.

the long version of the song still does not have a second guitar let alone Muddy Waters.

Posted by: dadrob ()
Date: October 4, 2016 00:09

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: October 4, 2016 00:39

dadrob
keith is the only guitar AND the song is a direct and full Rip off of Sly Stone's tune Buttermilk.

2120 SMA was released in 1964. Buttermilk was released in 1965. So who ripped who off?

Drew

Date: October 4, 2016 00:46

drewmaster
dadrob

2120 SMA was released in 1964. Buttermilk was released in 1965. So who ripped who off?

Drew

thumbs up
[www.45cat.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-04 00:47 by Deltics.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 6, 2017 07:19

NICOS
From WIKI (not sure if it's correct though)

Nanker Phelge (aka Nanker/Phelge) was a collective pseudonym used between 1963 and 1965 for several Rolling Stones group compositions. [1]Stones bassist Bill Wyman explained the origins of the name in his 2002 book, Rolling with the Stones:

Songs credited to Nanker Phelge[edit]

"Stoned" (Oct. 1963) (ASCAP also credits Ian Stewart as co-writer)
"Little by Little" (Feb. 1964) (credited as 'Phelge') (co-written with Phil Spector; ASCAP also credits Ian Stewart as co-writer)
"Andrew's Blues" (Feb. 1964) (unreleased)
"And Mr. Spector And Mr. Pitney Came Too" (Feb. 1964) (an instrumental blues-rock jam with prominent harmonica, unreleased, co-written with Phil Spector) Appears on the Black Box bootleg compilation.
"Now I've Got a Witness" (credited as 'Phelge') (Apr. 1964)
"Stewed and Keefed (Brian's Blues)" (Jun. 1964)
"2120 South Michigan Avenue" (Aug. 1964)
"Empty Heart" (Aug. 1964)
"Off The Hook" (Nov. 1964) (originally credited to "Nanker, Phelge", but now credited to Jagger/Richards by BMI)
"Play with Fire" (Feb. 1965)
"The Under Assistant West Coast Promotion Man" (May 1965)
"The Spider And The Fly" (July 1965) (originally credited to "Nanker, Phelge" but now credited to Jagger/Richards by BMI)
"I'm All Right" (July 1965) (sometimes credited to Phelge/McDaniel, although it is an Ellas McDaniel cover song. Now credited to Jagger/Richards)
"Godzi" (unreleased and unavailable on bootleg, although the song has been registered with BMI)
"We Want The Stones" (actually this is audience cheering on the 1965 Got Live If You Want It! E.P.)

Bill Wyman claims in his books that "Paint It Black" was a collective effort of the group, and should have been credited to Nanker Phelge, but mistakenly was credited to Jagger/Richards in the end.

It seems, given reference to some from the time articles etc, that Nanker Phelge, at least on some occasions, also acted as a pseudonym for Jagger/Richard written material that they lacked confidence in/deemed too embarrassing at the time.

This peep is beginning to think the bigger story is even more nuanced than the messy recollections have led us to believe.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: January 6, 2017 09:34

NICOS
Comments, input and alterations are very welcome!

2120 South Michigan Avenue

Composer: Nanker Phelge (The Rolling Stones)
Recording date: June 1964
Recording location: Chess Studios, Chicago, USA
Producer: Andrew Oldham
Engineer: Ron Malo

First released: 14th August 1964: The Rolling Stones (EP) ‘Five By Five’
Label: Decca DFE 8590

Different versions:
2120 South Michigan Avenue 2:07 EP (1964) and original 12 X 5 album version (1964)
2120 South Michigan Avenue 3:38 LP German album Around and Around (1964) and CD 12 X 5 (2002)

Voice: ?
Drums: Charlie Watts
Bass: Bill Wyman
Harmonica: Brian Jones
Electric guitar: Keith Richards
Tambourine: Mick Jagger
Organ: Ian Stewart

2120 South Michigan Avenue

Ooh...

Hey..

Note: Info taken from TIOMS, NZentgraf and the WW-Internet

My love affair with the RS would just about be complete in every respect if I were ever to see/hear them do this in concert ..........

I know I know, it's 2017 and I can dream .... !!

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Date: January 6, 2017 11:03

His Majesty
NICOS

Nanker Phelge (aka Nanker/Phelge) was a collective pseudonym used between 1963 and 1965 for several Rolling Stones group compositions. [1]Stones bassist Bill Wyman explained the origins of the name in his 2002 book, Rolling with the Stones:

"Little by Little" (Feb. 1964) (credited as 'Phelge') (co-written with Phil Spector; ASCAP also credits Ian Stewart as co-writer)
"And Mr. Spector And Mr. Pitney Came Too" (Feb. 1964) (an instrumental blues-rock jam with prominent harmonica, unreleased, co-written with Phil Spector) Appears on the Black Box bootleg compilation.
"Off The Hook" (Nov. 1964) (originally credited to "Nanker, Phelge", but now credited to Jagger/Richards by BMI)
"The Spider And The Fly" (July 1965) (originally credited to "Nanker, Phelge" but now credited to Jagger/Richards by BMI)
"I'm All Right" (July 1965) (sometimes credited to Phelge/McDaniel, although it is an Ellas McDaniel cover song. Now credited to Jagger/Richards)
"Godzi" (unreleased and unavailable on bootleg, although the song has been registered with BMI)
"We Want The Stones" (actually this is audience cheering on the 1965 Got Live If You Want It! E.P.)

Bill Wyman claims in his books that "Paint It Black" was a collective effort of the group, and should have been credited to Nanker Phelge, but mistakenly was credited to Jagger/Richards in the end.

It seems, given reference to some from the time articles etc, that Nanker Phelge, at least on some occasions, also acted as a pseudonym for Jagger/Richard written material that they lacked confidence in/deemed too embarrassing at the time.

This peep is beginning to think the bigger story is even more nuanced than the messy recollections have led us to believe.

What about the Phelge / Spector-credit(s)? That's been bugging me a bit. Who adjoined Spector, and brought half of the pseudonym with him?

Date: January 7, 2017 06:13

I guess Nanker must have been missing that day.

Date: January 7, 2017 09:57

His Majesty
I guess Nanker must have been missing that day.

There are songs credited to only Phelge as well. Nanker had to work for his bread, it seems. No freeriding smiling smiley

Date: January 7, 2017 10:52

Weirdness! There must be more to the Nanker, Phelge and variations crediting than it being a simple group credit.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: January 7, 2017 13:11

As an aside, but noted above, its interesting to see how over the years, some songwriting credits (and presumably royalties) have transferred from the collective 'NP' to Jagger/Richards.
One assumes the legal reps of Messrs Wyman, Watts and the Estate of Brian Jones have agreed to this.
I think ABKCO are the publishers and copyright holders of these compositions, so any change will have involved them.
The very earliest works eg Stoned continue to be published by Songs of Peer Ltd who took over the old Southern Music copyrights many years ago.
So Klein/ABKCO don't quite own everything pre 1970 !

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: January 7, 2017 13:29

bleedingman
George Thorogood did a nice cover:
[www.youtube.com]

Missed this last time. Very nice!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 7, 2017 13:36

Sly Stone used the groove for his Buttermilk tune a year after 2120 ....

ROCKMAN

Date: January 7, 2017 14:38

DandelionPowderman
His Majesty
NICOS

What about the Phelge / Spector-credit(s)? That's been bugging me a bit. Who adjoined Spector, and brought half of the pseudonym with him?

NME February 28, 1964, about writing "Little by Little" credited to Phelge-Spector.
"After we had done "Not Fade Away", Phil and Mike (sic) disappeared. Nobody noticed they had gone until about five minutes later they returned, looking very pleased with themselves. They sat down, told us to be quiet, and played us the number they had just written in the outside corridor. It was very good so we decided to use it as the 'B' side."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-01-07 15:36 by Deltics.

Posted by: ekelundh ()
Date: March 31, 2022 20:33

In this article it mentions ”2120 South Michigan Avenue' was named after the address of the renowned studio and was reportedly recorded as an instrumental because Mick Jagger was so nervous performing in front of his musical idols that he forgot the lyrics”

First time I read about potential lyrics to this track and MJ being nervous. Somehow I doubt the latter.

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 31, 2022 20:56

ekelundh
In this article it mentions ”2120 South Michigan Avenue' was named after the address of the renowned studio and was reportedly recorded as an instrumental because Mick Jagger was so nervous performing in front of his musical idols that he forgot the lyrics”

First time I read about potential lyrics to this track and MJ being nervous. Somehow I doubt the latter.

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Jagger nervous? Well, if true that might also explain the lyrical richness and melodical genius of their first original song "Stoned"... Mick being nervous for singing anything original, and solved the problem by some heavy use of certain substances... Maybe he should have tried that 'method' also at Chess studio we might have a few memorable utterances...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1748
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home