Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 6 of 8
Re: Your favorite Ronnie Wood solos
Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: October 8, 2016 03:45

HMS
MT´s playing is fluid and gentle, Ronnie attacks and stings, that´s why he´s a perfect fit for the Stones.

fair analogy...and just as effective but I think long term Woodies playing isn't dated...Taylor's is....long gone and far away...Ronnie Wood makes them sound a live....and I think the combo of KR and RW is a much more exciting almost motorized type of R & R..Just a Fool already sounds awesome!!....love RW!

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: October 8, 2016 12:31

DandelionPowderman
Redhotcarpet
DandelionPowderman
HonkeyTonkFlash
DandelionPowderman
boogaloojef
Taylor's playing is lyrical and Wood's playing is not.

Indeed, but are Beggars banquet, Exile or SG "lyrical"?

Those albums are great examples of the Stones being all about songs rather than musical virtuosity.

Don't get me wrong, I love a brilliant solo when it suits the song (ADTL, for instance).

What I don't get is people bashing Ronnie's style, while claiming to adore the guitars in the early 60s. There's a discrepancy there, as the style with short biting leads was what was going on back then.

I bash Ronnie but I was doing the e x a c t same comparison to the early 60s. Incredible.

I missed those comparisons. Show us.

I will find some but before you posted about the early 60s I thought about those typical short staccato solos of the typical 60s pop single AND.. surfpop! His playing is reminiscent of that surf pop and pop sound of the early 60 s late 50s(?). Now IF he really dug deeper into that - and thats his weakness i think, he dont focus hard on one style and develop - he could (have) make a longer lasting impact. Hey Negrita and Crazy Mama (great lick by Ronnie, one of their best) showed promise as did his fills on Shes so cold and Shattered. Upbeat, jumpy, cartoonish 50s/early 60s pop for the coce and cocktail generation. I like that and he should be acknowledgded for his good contributions. Sadly the failed live solos on slow songs or more demanding numbers from their classical eras overshadow a lot.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: October 9, 2016 21:19

Come Together 2016 drinking smiley

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-10 10:39 by powerage78.

Posted by: DonParker ()
Date: October 9, 2016 21:47

I always found that Ron, from the early eighties and onwards, fitted a band like Bon Jovi better. Both as a guitarist and as an artist.

Posted by: thijs1981 ()
Date: October 9, 2016 22:15

Because he used to be a better drinker than Richie Sambora?

Posted by: DonParker ()
Date: October 9, 2016 22:18

thijs1981
Because he used to be a better drinker than Richie Sambora?

cool smiley

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: October 10, 2016 00:43

Rip This
HMS
MT´s playing is fluid and gentle, Ronnie attacks and stings, that´s why he´s a perfect fit for the Stones.

fair analogy...and just as effective but I think long term Woodies playing isn't dated...Taylor's is....long gone and far away...Ronnie Wood makes them sound a live....and I think the combo of KR and RW is a much more exciting almost motorized type of R & R..Just a Fool already sounds awesome!!....love RW!

Nothing about Sway is gentle. Live renditions of Gimme Shelter, JJF, Love in Vain....gentle? HMS is a troll.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 10, 2016 00:47

Jumpin' Jack Flash sounds like every brick building in the world collapsing.

Date: October 11, 2016 17:58

Some of my favourites compiled. Can everybody name the shows/albums they're taken from? winking smiley

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: EasterMan ()
Date: October 11, 2016 23:05

DandelionPowderman
Some of my favourites compiled. Can everybody name the shows/albums they're taken from? winking smiley

[www.youtube.com]

Where's the Wild Horses solo at 2:38 from? Great playing!

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: October 11, 2016 23:15

Wild Horses, Here great solos!

[www.youtube.com]

Date: October 12, 2016 00:23

EasterMan
DandelionPowderman

[www.youtube.com]

Where's the Wild Horses solo at 2:38 from? Great playing!

Hold On Tight (MSG 1975).

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: October 12, 2016 15:54

TravelinMan
Rip This
HMS

Nothing about Sway is gentle. Live renditions of Gimme Shelter, JJF, Love in Vain....gentle? HMS is a troll.

is he a troll bc he disagrees with you?...taylor's style as beautiful as it was and can sometimes be is essentially very dated... He sounds as old as he is...probably older...in 50 and counting he was a duck out of water...even for the Stones.

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: October 12, 2016 16:12

I was happy to read that ''guitar god'' Joe Satriani in 2015 listed Ronnie as one of the ''10 guitar players who blew my mind''.

“He’s been able to be so well integrated into the changing attitudes of all the bands that he was in, but at the same time he’s created a sound that people know as ‘The Ron Wood’ sound.

“How many people can you say that about? That have created an attitude and a sound that almost supersedes what you’re going to say. If you mention Holdsworth, you might say ‘legato’, or Eddie Van Halen, ‘tapping’, but with Ron Wood you don’t get down to a particular physical move. It’s the whole approach.

“He always looks good, too! How does he still look like the cool guitar player that you want to emulate? There should be an award for that and he should win it!”

Joe Satriani: 10 guitarists that blew my mind

Date: October 12, 2016 16:31

TheBlockbuster
I was happy to read that ''guitar god'' Joe Satriani in 2015 listed Ronnie as one of the ''10 guitar players who blew my mind''.

“He’s been able to be so well integrated into the changing attitudes of all the bands that he was in, but at the same time he’s created a sound that people know as ‘The Ron Wood’ sound.

“How many people can you say that about? That have created an attitude and a sound that almost supersedes what you’re going to say. If you mention Holdsworth, you might say ‘legato’, or Eddie Van Halen, ‘tapping’, but with Ron Wood you don’t get down to a particular physical move. It’s the whole approach.

“He always looks good, too! How does he still look like the cool guitar player that you want to emulate? There should be an award for that and he should win it!”

Luckily for us, ALL the guitar players in the Stones have contributed a very unique sound for the band, although Ronnie's and Keith's sound might be the sounds that are easiest to pin down quick.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: October 12, 2016 18:59

Rip This
...taylor's style as beautiful as it was and can sometimes be is essentially very dated... He sounds as old as he is...probably older...in 50 and counting he was a duck out of water...even for the Stones.

Fully agree. Midnight Rambler always has a lot more punch with MT not being around. Now that he´s gone MR finally sounds aggressive and fresh again.

Posted by: RaiseTheKnife ()
Date: October 12, 2016 20:18

Taylor was great with John Mayall & The Bluesbreakers, his playing was too melodic with the Stones.

Ronnie is not melodic, he's like Keef - straight forward dirty rock 'n roll.thumbs up

Date: October 12, 2016 21:45

TheBlockbuster

Keith is on his list as well, of course smiling smiley

Date: October 12, 2016 21:49

RaiseTheKnife
Taylor was great with John Mayall & The Bluesbreakers, his playing was too melodic with the Stones.

Ronnie is not melodic, he's like Keef - straight forward dirty rock 'n roll.thumbs up

You nailed it. That´s the way you do it when you´re with the Stones.
MT and the Stones were/are worlds apart.

When guitar-virtuoso-bands like Deep Purple and Led Zeppelin became big, the Stones thought it would be good to have an virtuoso too (even if they did not use him much and rarely allowed him to stretch out).

Did you notice that the Stones´ music became more and more boring the longer MT was with them? Coincidence?

Date: October 13, 2016 09:29

Rip This
TravelinMan
Rip This
HMS

is he a troll bc he disagrees with you?...taylor's style as beautiful as it was and can sometimes be is essentially very dated... He sounds as old as he is...probably older...in 50 and counting he was a duck out of water...even for the Stones.

Because he constantly brings up Taylor and his views make no sense (Sway-gentle?) and he is spouting a subjective agenda as if it is fact. I don't think Taylor sounds dated at all. In fact, he is extremely refreshing for a blues guitarist.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-13 09:29 by TravelinMan.

Date: October 13, 2016 09:39

HMS
RaiseTheKnife

You nailed it. That´s the way you do it when you´re with the Stones.
MT and the Stones were/are worlds apart.

When guitar-virtuoso-bands like Deep Purple and Led Zeppelin became big, the Stones thought it would be good to have an virtuoso too (even if they did not use him much and rarely allowed him to stretch out).

Did you notice that the Stones´ music became more and more boring the longer MT was with them? Coincidence?

Taylor was invited because they wanted an experienced touring guitar player because they planned on touring again. He came to a session, it went well, and the whole band agreed to invite him. Get your facts straight, oh wait, all you do is broadcast your opinions. No, I never noticed their music becoming boring, more experimental, sure. Not positive I'd say Taylor had that much influence over the totality of the sound though.

Also Ron Wood has played melodic and gentle on more than a couple songs believe it or not. Sometimes, that's what you do with the Stones.

Date: October 13, 2016 10:57

TravelinMan
Rip This
TravelinMan
Rip This
HMS

Because he constantly brings up Taylor and his views make no sense (Sway-gentle?) and he is spouting a subjective agenda as if it is fact. I don't think Taylor sounds dated at all. In fact, he is extremely refreshing for a blues guitarist.

You have a different understanding of the word.

My guess is that by «gentle» he means «melodic», as opposed to «dirty» and «rhythmic/percussive/funky».

Sway, and all the songs you have mentioned, are indeed melodic. As I've said numerous times before, nothing wrong with that. It's a different style, that of sweetness and etherial qualities, instead of punchy, piercing and dirty sounds.

IMO, Mick Taylor has never delivered a dirty note in his life. His style just won't allow that. It's just beautiful and melodic smiling smiley

So, while Sway and other songs are rocking indeed, Taylor offered something else on these tunes, but not dirtiness, imo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-13 11:00 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: October 13, 2016 14:08

Indeed. MT gave even rocking Stones-songs a mellow touch. Very unfitting most of the times. With MT the Stones were in danger to end up sounding like any (american) rock-band. Playing melodic, not too hard rocking songs and having a guitar-hero soloing the usual stuff. They´ve almost lost their identity while Taylor was in the band. Of course Taylor isn´t to blame for everything that went wrong, but he isn´t totally innocent either. His playing and style watered down the Stones.

Date: October 13, 2016 18:42

His playing, along with Nicky Hopkins, took them to new musical heights. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

DP, I have no idea what he means, but to me "dirty" has nothing to do with rhythm. Dirty is timbral, like a distortion pedal. To say Taylor never played rhythmic means the listener has never heard Bitch (extended version), All Down the Line (Japanese outtake), Hip Shake, or the outtake Traveling Man. Sure he never used a distortion pedal, but this is the Stones, not Black Sabbath.

Ron Wood played the role of guitar hero until Jagger decided to go punk.

Date: October 13, 2016 19:10

That's distorted, not dirty.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: October 13, 2016 19:18

I like Ronnie when he plays the slide guitar, Let it bleed, Far away eyes and especially of The Worst.
[www.youtube.com]

Date: October 13, 2016 19:38

DandelionPowderman

Ever heard of a dirt pedal?

Date: October 13, 2016 19:50

TravelinMan
DandelionPowderman

Look, players like Don Fender, Mick Taylor or Ry Cooder won't sound dirty because of a pedal. They play and produce their tones a different way. The attack is different - as are the notes and motifs they are creating.

The dirt happens when one lets go of the precision and focus solely on the energy and drive (Chuck Berry, Keith, Ronnie, Lou Reed, John Lee Hooker and others).

On the contrary, distorting a sound can make it even more pretty (Hotel California, Through The Lonely Nights, Winter, Sway).

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 13, 2016 20:00

HMS
Indeed. MT gave even rocking Stones-songs a mellow touch. Very unfitting most of the times. With MT the Stones were in danger to end up sounding like any (american) rock-band. Playing melodic, not too hard rocking songs and having a guitar-hero soloing the usual stuff. They´ve almost lost their identity while Taylor was in the band. Of course Taylor isn´t to blame for everything that went wrong, but he isn´t totally innocent either. His playing and style watered down the Stones.

Where you hear "watered down" Taylor era Stones, real Stones fans hear searing rock'n'roll. There's one of many reasons why GET YER YA-YA'S OUT! is such a stellar album - Taylor's playing.

Where real Stones fans hear shit you hear excellence. Coincidence?

Nope. Just a fact.

Date: October 13, 2016 21:15

DandelionPowderman
TravelinMan
DandelionPowderman

Look, players like Don Fender, Mick Taylor or Ry Cooder won't sound dirty because of a pedal. They play and produce their tones a different way. The attack is different - as are the notes and motifs they are creating.

The dirt happens when one lets go of the precision and focus solely on the energy and drive (Chuck Berry, Keith, Ronnie, Lou Reed, John Lee Hooker and others).

On the contrary, distorting a sound can make it even more pretty (Hotel California, Through The Lonely Nights, Winter, Sway).

You're talking about precision. Mick Taylor is an extremely precise player born out of the B.B. King tradition of blues guitar playing. Doesn't mean he hasn't dabbled in dirty, crunchy tones though.

Dirty is the opposite of clean and I suppose I mainly think of it in terms of a guitar player's tone. A dirty/distorted tone vs. a clean tone. Usually, when one says a guitarist's actual playing is clean, the opposite is sloppy, not dirty.

Neil Young is a dirty, sloppy player whom I thoroughly enjoy. He's extremely creative as well.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 6 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1812
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home