Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 3 of 8
Re: Your favorite Ronnie Wood solos
Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: October 2, 2016 03:31

Palace Revolution 2000
The 81 tour somehow doesn't get enough credit for sheer musiciaNSHIP. I think the Keith/Ron guitar duo ran about as hot as it ever did on that tour.
Ron's playing - taken on its own- was very good in '75 tour. But everyone else was off. In 78 they were excellent. I just think that by 81 they got even better. I will never forget standing in the Fox theatre, and seeing Keith a few feet away riffing on "let me Go", and I think it is the best I have ever seen him play.

Exactly why the 1981 tour is one of my favorites of all time. Richards and Wood truly played like one brain with four arms....

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: October 3, 2016 11:09

Bastion
YCAGWYW on LA Friday.

thumbs up
plus 'Sway' from Sticky Fingers Live 2015.

Date: October 3, 2016 11:25

pepganzo
Bastion
YCAGWYW on LA Friday.

thumbs up

Indeed! I get so tired of people saying Sway is never any good unless Mick Taylor's on it. On SFL, Wood does an awesome job at making the solos his own!

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: October 3, 2016 16:36

HonkeyTonkFlash
pepganzo
Bastion
YCAGWYW on LA Friday.

thumbs up

Indeed! I get so tired of people saying Sway is never any good unless Mick Taylor's on it. On SFL, Wood does an awesome job at making the solos his own!

True, Ronnie really improved his playing between 2013-2015, maybe he started practicing again after listening back to his slightly embarrassing solo on Champagne And Reefer with Clapton in 2012?
SFT has some of his best guitar work ever with the Stones if would say.

Date: October 3, 2016 17:10

TheBlockbuster
HonkeyTonkFlash
pepganzo
Bastion
YCAGWYW on LA Friday.

thumbs up

True, Ronnie really improved his playing between 2013-2015, maybe he started practicing again after listening back to his slightly embarrassing solo on Champagne And Reefer with Clapton in 2012?

Ronnie improved while making I Feel Like Playing.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 3, 2016 17:29

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
I was having trouble remembering what more he solos on. There's not a lot of soloing on Stones songs it seems. I can think of about 10 that Keith does. Unless it's all just blended together. I know there's a bit of lead playing but solos, eh, not really the strong point of any album, with exception to STICKY FINGERS.

Hey Negrita
Lies
Some Girls
Far Away Eyes
Respectable
Black Limousine
Summer Romance
Send It To Me
Too Tough
Dirty Work
Hold Back
Terrifying

Etc..

Eh, there's not exactly what I would call a solo in Hey Negrita.

Some Girls... I guess. I didn't take those to be solos so much as just lead runs.

The running in Summer Romance I didn't really take as a solo either!

Send It To Me... not really a solo in that either!

Yeah, Too Tough, that's a good one.

Dirty Work... I had to listen to the title track because the only solo I can recall on that death inducing LP is that excuse of a solo in the yawn of a track One Hit. There is some nice guitar work on the title track. Possibly because it has elements of UNDERCOVER in it.

I deleted Hold Back. And I'm not bothering with it on YouTube.

I'm guessing from the over the top Stratness to the soloing in Hearts For Sale that it's Woody.

Possibly his most moving solo is the slide solo in Out Of Tears. That's outstanding.

Date: October 3, 2016 17:36

Palace Revolution 2000
The 81 tour somehow doesn't get enough credit for sheer musiciaNSHIP. I think the Keith/Ron guitar duo ran about as hot as it ever did on that tour.
Ron's playing - taken on its own- was very good in '75 tour. But everyone else was off. In 78 they were excellent. I just think that by 81 they got even better. I will never forget standing in the Fox theatre, and seeing Keith a few feet away riffing on "let me Go", and I think it is the best I have ever seen him play.

I recall that when I first heard Hampton - or maybe it was the movie - and how long Keith's solo in Imagination went... Ronnie has some nice soloing in it as well. I had only heard the version from STILL LIFE. I was amazed. Pretty damn good editing job for the live album but damn did he scorch that one good. Also on Time Is On My Side - that's some great Keith soloing. And Ronnie's janks in TIOMS while Keith is doing leads is hilariously awesome.

Ronnie's bends on Twenty Flight Rock are hilarious.

Date: October 3, 2016 17:37

HonkeyTonkFlash
pepganzo
Bastion
YCAGWYW on LA Friday.

thumbs up

It's not that it doesn't have Taylor on it, it's that the Stones just can't play it worth a shit live.

Date: October 3, 2016 17:40

GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
I was having trouble remembering what more he solos on. There's not a lot of soloing on Stones songs it seems. I can think of about 10 that Keith does. Unless it's all just blended together. I know there's a bit of lead playing but solos, eh, not really the strong point of any album, with exception to STICKY FINGERS.

Hey Negrita
Lies
Some Girls
Far Away Eyes
Respectable
Black Limousine
Summer Romance
Send It To Me
Too Tough
Dirty Work
Hold Back
Terrifying

Etc..

Some Girls... I guess. I didn't take those to be solos so much as just lead runs.

Dirty Work... I had to listen to the title track because the only solo I can recall on that death inducing LP is that excuse of a solo in the yawn of a track One Hit. There is some nice guitar work on the title track. Possibly because it has elements of UNDERCOVER in it.

I'm guessing from the over the top Stratness to the soloing in Hearts For Sale that it's Woody.

Possibly his most moving solo is the slide solo in Out Of Tears. That's outstanding.

All of those are solos, of course.

And the DW solo is superior to that of Too Tough smiling smiley

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: October 3, 2016 17:41

DandelionPowderman
TheBlockbuster
HonkeyTonkFlash
pepganzo
Bastion
YCAGWYW on LA Friday.

thumbs up

You're right, but I recall he was great in 2007 also? I know he had some bad moments in 2006... But that's what I like about Ronnie, he's a very ''in the moment'' player, sometimes his solos are almost cringe-worthy and other times they're fantastic.

Date: October 3, 2016 17:55

TheBlockbuster
DandelionPowderman
TheBlockbuster
HonkeyTonkFlash
pepganzo
Bastion
YCAGWYW on LA Friday.

thumbs up

You're right, but I recall he was great in 2007 also? I know he had some bad moments in 2006... But that's what I like about Ronnie, he's a very ''in the moment'' player, sometimes his solos are almost cringe-worthy and other times they're fantastic.

It's true that he and Keith improved towards the end of the ABB tour.

Date: October 3, 2016 18:46

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
I was having trouble remembering what more he solos on.

Hey Negrita
Lies
Some Girls
Far Away Eyes
Respectable
Black Limousine
Summer Romance
Send It To Me
Too Tough
Dirty Work
Hold Back
Terrifying

Etc..

Some Girls... just lead runs.

Most of those are just leads. Solos are definite parts. Like what Woody did for Start Me Up on the 1989-90 tours. Or the solos in Star Star, Dance Little Sister, Sad Sad Sad, Bitch, Slave, She Was Hot. Actual solos.

At least that's how I think of a solo. With the Stones, that is.

Date: October 3, 2016 20:28

GasLightStreet
HonkeyTonkFlash
pepganzo
Bastion
YCAGWYW on LA Friday.

thumbs up

It's not that it doesn't have Taylor on it, it's that the Stones just can't play it worth a shit live.

With some songs, like Sway - I don't think you should always compare the live version to the studio one. Sure, they change it a bit live but the one on SFL is very good; plenty of grit and aggression. I also heard a couple very good versions on the Bigger Bang Tour.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 3, 2016 20:37

If one compares the live version of Sway that Mick Taylor played on during the '50 and Counting tour' vs ANY live version from Ronnie, well there's really nothing to compare.
Some would say it's 'apples and oranges' and both have merit, but it's really diamonds and dirt clods...one (MT) is clearly superior over the other IMO.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: October 3, 2016 20:59

GasLightStreet

Deleting it from your computer isn´t enough. As long as you are not burying the LP/the CD in your backyard you won´t be safe.

Out Of Tears - a good solo wasted. OOT is one of the Stones´ weakest tracks. I usually do not skip tracks when listening to an album, but in this case I sometimes do.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: October 3, 2016 21:56

Hairball
If one compares the live version of Sway that Mick Taylor played on during the '50 and Counting tour' vs ANY live version from Ronnie, well there's really nothing to compare.
Some would say it's 'apples and oranges' and both have merit, but it's really diamonds and dirt clods...one (MT) is clearly superior over the other IMO.
Hello everyone, my opinion is that music is not a sporting event, but it is art, there is no winner. So what for me is best for you can be worse, Taylor is a great guitarist, but so is Ronnie, has his career to witness it. Sway as other songs of the period are not in the style of Ronnie and therefore must adapt. But Sway played at Fonda is an outstanding release and Ronnie makes a great solo.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: October 4, 2016 02:05

agreed Testify....RW has certainly lasted and deservedly so.....kudos to RW!!

Date: October 4, 2016 02:22

GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
I was having trouble remembering what more he solos on.

Hey Negrita
Lies
Some Girls
Far Away Eyes
Respectable
Black Limousine
Summer Romance
Send It To Me
Too Tough
Dirty Work
Hold Back
Terrifying

Etc..

Some Girls... just lead runs.

Most of those are just leads. Solos are definite parts. Like what Woody did for Start Me Up on the 1989-90 tours. Or the solos in Star Star, Dance Little Sister, Sad Sad Sad, Bitch, Slave, She Was Hot. Actual solos.

At least that's how I think of a solo. With the Stones, that is.

GLS, come on ,man, LOL. Leads - Solos? When does a lead become a solo?
I do think I know what you mean, but to differentiate like that just becomes too subjective. One could take Ron's solo-ing on "Negrita" very much as a "solo". I think you are using placement within the song to make your qualifications.

Posted by: RockingLonestar ()
Date: October 4, 2016 11:51

Testify
Hairball
Hello everyone, my opinion is that music is not a sporting event, but it is art, there is no winner. So what for me is best for you can be worse, Taylor is a great guitarist, but so is Ronnie, has his career to witness it. Sway as other songs of the period are not in the style of Ronnie and therefore must adapt. But Sway played at Fonda is an outstanding release and Ronnie makes a great solo.
In fact there are two great Ronnie solos on Sway from Fonda 2015. And I like the version and the solos from Austin 2006 as well.

Date: October 4, 2016 11:54

Just listened to the Faces 4 CD set "Five Guys Walk Into A Bar".
What a great band, what a great guitar player, especially when playing slide.

Date: October 4, 2016 13:57

RockingLonestar
Testify
Hairball
In fact there are two great Ronnie solos on Sway from Fonda 2015. And I like the version and the solos from Austin 2006 as well.

+1 Yes, I was thrilled when they did Sway at Giants Stadium in 2006 and Ronnie's solos were very good. I also really like that version from Zilker Park as well. Maybe SFL is the best version available with Ronnnie on it.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: October 4, 2016 15:47

Hearts for Sale has a great guitar solo.

Posted by: spain73 ()
Date: October 4, 2016 16:15

"Devotion" / Faces.
The whole guitar playing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-04 16:17 by spain73.

Date: October 4, 2016 17:06

HMS
GasLightStreet

Deleting it from your computer isn´t enough. As long as you are not burying the LP/the CD in your backyard you won´t be safe.

Out Of Tears - a good solo wasted. OOT is one of the Stones´ weakest tracks. I usually do not skip tracks when listening to an album, but in this case I sometimes do.

Ah, yes, the master of what's considered the Stones' weakest tracks has spoken.

Date: October 4, 2016 17:09

Palace Revolution 2000
GLS, come on ,man, LOL. Leads - Solos? When does a lead become a solo?I do think I know what you mean, but to differentiate like that just becomes too subjective. One could take Ron's solo-ing on "Negrita" very much as a "solo". I think you are using placement within the song to make your qualifications.

HA HA! I guess what I call a lead is not a solo! How about "not a flat out solo"? A solo is an instrumental part of the song with the guitar soloing? A lead is soloing without it being a solo!

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: October 4, 2016 17:37

A solo is called such because it is there to highlight a single performance. A riff, phrase, lead line, or a lick is not a solo.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: October 4, 2016 17:40

Beast of Burden is my favorite by Wood. It fits the song and is very simple and pretty, as I'm sure HMS would agree because he loves all the touching solos by his beau, Ronnie Wood.

Date: October 4, 2016 17:55

The Crotch Music solos are very good. Nice riffing from Taylor there as well.

Date: October 4, 2016 18:52

Rock And A Hard Place from Steel Wheels. Live Versions from Atlantic City and Tokyo as well.

Date: October 4, 2016 18:53

You Got The Silver from Shine A Light

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 3 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2031
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home