Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Remembering the 1981 US Tour
Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: September 25, 2016 15:50

35 years ago today, the Stones opened their 1981 tour at JFK Stadium in Philadelphia, PA. I was there; it was a beautiful September day and lots of great memories despite a sloppy start from the band. It was still so much fun. As the tour progressed they would play much better as evidenced in Let's Spend The Night Together, Still Life, and Hampton. Some people say the tour was lousy but it's one of my favorite Stones tours. I loved the setlist, a generous helping of songs that were new at the time and plenty of unexpected deep cuts as well. Never expected them to open with Under My Thumb, or to hear Let's Spend The Night Together or Time Is On MY Side. It was the last tour where they took chances and jammed onstage, unlike the professional approach they would take from 1989 on. When they clicked it was magic. It was also special to me as it's the closest I've ever been to the Stones, right in front of the stage. Hell, I could see the Marlboro logo on Keith's cig pack and Mick was right over my head in the cherry picker. Good times..

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Re: Remembering the 1981 US Tour
Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: September 25, 2016 17:05

LOVED that tour!!
J Geils opening up in Seattle... two shows, two favorite bands.

Whamma Jamma lemme her ya...!!!

Posted by: straycatdevil ()
Date: September 25, 2016 17:14

Best tour they ever did IMO.I wish we would get more shows from this tour. 30 or so shows were recorded.

Date: September 25, 2016 17:25

straycatdevil
Best tour they ever did IMO.I wish we would get more shows from this tour. 30 or so shows were recorded.

Yes! I don't deny they had their sloppy moments but when they were clicking they made some of the most riveting music of their career. And while the music is most important, it was also very nice visually. That was captured very well in the film; the vibrant colors of the stage, the balloons, etc. I thought the whole package was great in 1981!

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: September 25, 2016 17:49

straycatdevil

Agreed. They never did better before or after...2 days in SF I will never forget

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: September 25, 2016 18:04

I think that photo is from the last gig on the 1982 tour. From Leeds, England.

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: September 25, 2016 18:19

Great memories of this tour. I was lucky enought to catch both shows that Hal Ashby shot for the movie of this tour. Meadowlands and Tempe.

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: September 25, 2016 18:24

I did not see this tour live but judging by recordings it was indeed a great tour. It would have been an even more exciting tour if they would have mixed up the setlists more. A few songs like Hang Fire and Let Me Go could easily been switched in and out for Emotional Rescue, Summer Romance or Slave.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: September 25, 2016 18:38

Stoneage

Pretty sure you're right. Bobby Keys is in there. That looks remarkably like Jeff Lynne next to Charlie.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 25, 2016 18:41

A thrilling tour. I was 17 and still in High school, and this would be my first time seeing the Stones. Spent the months leading up to the concerts soaking in everything Stones - learned more about them in that short period than I had my entire life up to that point. With my solid newfound knowledge of the band, I was more than ready to experience them live. Saw two shows at the L.A. Coliseum - Being GA, the first show I was about 30 people back from the stage, 2nd show lower loge about 1/3 way back. Aside from the Prince debacle, the entire show was everything I had imagined and more. With J.Geils Band (stellar),George Thoroughgood (average), and Prince (poor) opening, these are still at the top of the very best Stones shows (or shows by any band) I've seen - partly because of the anticipation, the experience itself, and the lifelong memories they instilled in me.

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: September 25, 2016 18:44

I was expecting "Honky Tonk" for the opener at JFK in 1981. Like you said about "Under My Thumb" and "Let's Spend the Night Together" was a great surprise and of course "Time is on My Side!"

"let Me Go" was a favorite too. I love Mick running through the audience during this song in the movie.

People may be used to "Under My Thumb" and "Let's Spend the Night Together" now but back then those songs were left back in the 1960's.

I remember "Still Life" was huge! A great party album. Many people who were teens in 1982 weren't crazy about the Stones and then went to the concert and loved them. Then Still Life 'sealed the deal' as they say. One thing I remember distinctly was this on kid who loved "Under My Thumb" and "Let's Spend the Night Together" from Still Life but didn't care for the studio versions. Eventually, he became a die hard Stones fan.

The updated "Under My Thumb" and "Let's Spend the Night Together" rocked and like other Stones live recordings, these songs were far different sounding than the studio versions.

Some criticized that it was a 'cookie cutter' tour where the set list didn't change (much).

"Going to a Go-Go" was something new to get on the live album.

The unedited version of the Tempe show rocks but like everything else in the "Let's Spend the Night Together" movie was butchered. Check out "Black Limousine," "Just My Imagination" and "neighbors from this show!

My other main thoughts from this tour is that the first shows were a lot faster like the 1978 tour and far different than Hampton. Also there was no sax in Philly.

How many references to Philadelphia can you find on the "Still Life" album artwork.

Look at me!

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: September 25, 2016 18:59

HonkeyTonkFlash
35 years ago today, the Stones opened their 1981 tour at JFK Stadium in Philadelphia, PA. I was there; it was a beautiful September day and lots of great memories despite a sloppy start from the band. It was still so much fun. As the tour progressed they would play much better as evidenced in Let's Spend The Night Together, Still Life, and Hampton. Some people say the tour was lousy but it's one of my favorite Stones tours. I loved the setlist, a generous helping of songs that were new at the time and plenty of unexpected deep cuts as well. Never expected them to open with Under My Thumb, or to hear Let's Spend The Night Together or Time Is On MY Side. It was the last tour where they took chances and jammed onstage, unlike the professional approach they would take from 1989 on. When they clicked it was magic. It was also special to me as it's the closest I've ever been to the Stones, right in front of the stage. Hell, I could see the Marlboro logo on Keith's cig pack and Mick was right over my head in the cherry picker. Good times..

Worst tour they ever did. Are you serious when you say LSTNT and Still Life showed them sounding well?

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 25, 2016 19:04

Posted this several times in the past, but here's some awesome photo's of the Oct. 11 L.A. Coliseum show with a short review from Times critic Robert Hilburn:

Rolling Stones L.A. Coliseum

Another memory I have of that tour is of the pay-per-view tv special.
A friend of mine was 'hosting' it at his house, and several of us gathered around that afternoon/evening it aired. Started drinking beer and smoking some bud around 3:00 or 4:00 in the afternoon (west coast) gearing up in the safety of our friends house. By the time the concert started, our friend the 'host' who paid for the show had completely passed out on the couch, missing the entire broadcast! Still tease him about it to this day! smileys with beer

Date: September 25, 2016 19:04

grzegorz67
Stoneage

Pretty sure you're right. Bobby Keys is in there. That looks remarkably like Jeff Lynne next to Charlie.

It does! But that's Magic Dick of the Geils band...

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 25, 2016 19:26

Stoneage

yeah there's Gene Barge on the left... and he just turned 90! smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-09-25 19:28 by dcba.

Date: September 25, 2016 20:35

stanlove
HonkeyTonkFlash

Worst tour they ever did. Are you serious when you say LSTNT and Still Life showed them sounding well?

We all have our own taste and taste is subjective. To me, no way was it the worst tour. The only thing wrong with LSTNT is the choppy editing and the mix, which could've been better. The actual performances are great, and I'll stand by Still Life as a great live album. The first three songs are worth the price of admission in themselves, plus a great jam on Just My Imagination, and Time Is On My Side is great! I'll concede that Start Me Up is weak, and Satisfaction could be better. Actually, I don't think the Stones even have a "worst" tour. Every tour was good it it's own unique way. I know - that's just my opinion...running away with me...smiling smiley BTW - that great version of Beast of Burden that was the flip side of Going To A Go Go should've been on the album.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-09-25 20:36 by HonkeyTonkFlash.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: September 25, 2016 20:45

I was 19 at the time; had been getting into the Stones classic catalog for a few years. What I heard of the tour was a big disappointment and gave me the idea they were largely a spent force. So I went back to discovering their old albums.

Date: September 25, 2016 22:35

wonderboy
I was 19 at the time; had been getting into the Stones classic catalog for a few years. What I heard of the tour was a big disappointment and gave me the idea they were largely a spent force. So I went back to discovering their old albums.

It's funny how everyone has different impressions of this tour. Having first seen them in 1978, I thought they came back in 1981 much stronger and gave the impression of being anything but spent. I also like that they did a significantly longer setlist in 1981 than in 1978; a good mix of Tattoo You, a couple from Emotional Rescue and a good mix of older songs including a generous second helping of Some Girls songs.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: September 25, 2016 23:03

Yeah the photo is from the Roundhay Park gig, Leeds Uk. The last of the 82 shows. I was there and at the end they all drank champagne on stage, it had been rumoured to be their last ever gig....how wrong that was !

I know I only saw them do a couple of shows on that European leg in 82, but I have fond memories of both shows. At the time I thought it was kind of weird, the last time I'd seen them before this was in the 70s and to see them in 82 was a real shock in terms of the way they looked on stage...they looked old! The colour theme of the stage and Jagger's outfits all were a massive shift and even the sound all seemed very modern.

Of course, now when I look back it seems eons ago and they've done so much since and reinvented their images several times. I love looking back at clips and photos from this tour now and seeing just how hard Keith worked on stage, he was immense in every way and it's clear to see Ronnie was the one struggling a little. Strange how their roles have changed over the decades.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 25, 2016 23:27

stanlove
HonkeyTonkFlash

It's most likely that the 1975-76 tours are the worst Stones tours...

Date: September 25, 2016 23:28

Then again, the BANG tour wasn't exactly good either.

Date: September 25, 2016 23:39

GasLightStreet
stanlove
HonkeyTonkFlash

It's most likely that the 1975-76 tours are the worst Stones tours...

76 was rough but 75 had a lot to like about it...

Posted by: sundevil ()
Date: September 25, 2016 23:51

they've never done a bad tour, it would be impossible, they're the rolling stones.

Date: September 26, 2016 01:27

Uh huh. Whatever.

1975-76 and the 2005-07 tours are similar - they were out of it in some way on both with playing to represent it: basically pretty bad.

1981-82 they kicked. They kicked in a different way, with more of an attitude, in 1978.

Date: September 26, 2016 01:51

GasLightStreet
Then again, the BANG tour wasn't exactly good either.

I hear a lot of bad stuff about the Bigger Bang Tour but I saw two shows on that tour that were both very good. They both got good good reviews on this site by several fellow IORRians....Maybe I got lucky....I have read some very bad reviews of that tour, mostly after Keith's head injury. I saw them once before the accident and once after. Keith seemed to have recovered pretty well by Oct. of 2006, although if I noticed anything, he just seemed to look kind of vacant. His playing was actually very good though. Both shows I'm talking about were at Giants Stadium in 2005 and 2006. Like I said you could look them up on this site and read the reviews.

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: September 26, 2016 03:19

One thing we have lost in the modern era that I lament is the surprise factor. You went to a show not knowing what songs they were going to play and what the stage would look like, or how the boys would look. And they had a big hit, and in a general cultural sense everything seemed so fresh and new in 1981. Music was changing and you could sense how music videos were on the cusp of becoming a big thing.

Then of course the "old factor" was there in the background because after all, they were in their late thirties and that was "old."

The stage looked cheap, but the performance was great. It's hard to believe that it was 35 years ago...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-09-26 03:20 by MileHigh.

Date: September 26, 2016 03:53

Social media has destroyed the suprises...

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: September 26, 2016 04:00

I saw them in Syracuse, NY on that tour and I really liked it. Yes, the Stones would opt for a more "professional" show by the time 1989 rolled around and make their stage tunes sound as close to the studio records as possible, but the 81 version of the Stones still (even though darker tunes like Rambler and Gimme Shelter were dropped) demonstrated swagger and attitude. Jagger- compared to the watered down, strolling, stage version of 89- was all over the stage, dancing, jumping, etc. Although I enjoyed the 89 Steel Wheels shows, I missed those elements of the 81 tour.

Posted by: BILLPERKS ()
Date: September 26, 2016 05:15

I watched LSTNT in HD last night, & it was incredible.

Has gotten a bad rap over the years..

Hampton & Leeds are great too.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: September 26, 2016 05:47

Is that Chuck on the right next to Stu?

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2363
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home